Code of Conduct

Default Love PdN New York - Now What?

Hi all. I haven't posted in here for probably a year or so. Long story short - I'm ridiculously selective when it comes to men's fragrance. I've found that I can't wear a scent unless I absolutely love it from beginning to end. I've literally tried hundreds of scents, and have purchased maybe a dozen or so, but I really only have three in my rotation:

- New York by Parfum de Nicolai (my holy grail, wear it virtually every day of the year)
    - L'Artisan Mechant Loup (not loving my newest bottle but still wear it on occasion)
    - Amouage Dia (worn rarely for special occasions)

Thus far, my ongoing search for a fourth scent to add to this esteemed company has proven to be fruitless. It would appear that I may be a fragrance snob, as I've found that I absolutely cannot stand any designer/department store stuff. At the same time, I've found most of the niche stuff varies from horrible to weird to pretty good at best. After reading some reviews, I think I might like Amouage Jubilation XXV and/or Serge Lutens Chergui, but I have no way of obtaining a sample to try either one.

Anyway, I now come before my fellow Basenotes brethren to ask for your help. Based on the three fragances above, can you recommend any other stellar fragrance for me?

Default Re: Love PdN New York - Now What?

May I ask a question? I know your name is CreedFan, is that in Creed the band or the Fragance House. I noticed that there are no Creeds in your top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by CreedFan View Post
    Hi all. I haven't posted in here for probably a year or so. Long story short - I'm ridiculously selective when it comes to men's fragrance. I've found that I can't wear a scent unless I absolutely love it from beginning to end. I've literally tried hundreds of scents, and have purchased maybe a dozen or so, but I really only have three in my rotation:

- New York by Parfum de Nicolai (my holy grail, wear it virtually every day of the year)
    - L'Artisan Mechant Loup (not loving my newest bottle but still wear it on occasion)
    - Amouage Dia (worn rarely for special occasions)

Thus far, my ongoing search for a fourth scent to add to this esteemed company has proven to be fruitless. It would appear that I may be a fragrance snob, as I've found that I absolutely cannot stand any designer/department store stuff. At the same time, I've found most of the niche stuff varies from horrible to weird to pretty good at best. After reading some reviews, I think I might like Amouage Jubilation XXV and/or Serge Lutens Chergui, but I have no way of obtaining a sample to try either one.

Anyway, I now come before my fellow Basenotes brethren to ask for your help. Based on the three fragances above, can you recommend any other stellar fragrance for me?
    I'm not sure why you have trouble finding samples - The Perfumed Court has samples of most everything including the 2 you mentioned.

For some reason i think you might like Amouage's Reflection (men).

A few others i would try if you have not already are:

F. Malle ~ French Lover / Bois d'Orage
    By Kilian ~ A Taste of Heaven
    By Kilian ~ Straight to Heaven
    Last edited by ajmc; 1st July 2008 at 09:17 PM.

Heritage
    Bois du Portugal
    Chanel Pour Monsieur (not the Concentree)
    Egoiste
    Tiffany For Men
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme
    Ormonde Man
    Richard James EdT (Savile Row)
    Acqua di Cuba (Santa Maria Novella)
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    May I ask a question? I know your name is CreedFan, is that in Creed the band or the Fragance House. I noticed that there are no Creeds in your top 3.
    It's definitely not the band, I think they suck. Truthfully, I should probably change the name. It's a leftover from when I first started getting into fragrances a few years back. As far as Creed goes, I really only like Creed GIT and, to a lesser extent, MI.

- Brad

Blog Entries

You are in Chicago. Amouage's US distributor is based in Chicago (I believe their location is on the Magnificient Mile). They should be able to help you out.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    For some reason i think you might like Amouage's Reflection (men).

A few others i would try if you have not already are:

F. Malle ~ French Lover / Bois d'Orage
    By Kilian ~ A Taste of Heaven
    By Kilian ~ Straight to Heaven
    Interesting recommendations -- I'm not sure whether I've ever tried Reflection, is it a newer scent? Anybody out there want to hook a brother up with a small decant to try? ; )

I've smelled the various Malle frags and, while I can appreciate the artistry, they're not "me." Never heard of Kilian but I'm interested to try!

Thanks!

- Brad

I'm sorry for this inconvenience, but I must ask that members avoid requesting samples on the Male Fragrance Discussion board. A forum for Fragrances Wanted exists and is the proper place.

Also, there's a no-decants policy at Basenotes. The public boards can't be used for exchange or solicitation of decants, which probably came into effect since you were last here CreedFan.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but these policies are important. Thanks everyone!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    You are in Chicago. Amouage's US distributor is based in Chicago (I believe their location is on the Magnificient Mile). They should be able to help you out.
    If you are in Chicago, Barneys will give you a sample of Chergui, or any other Serge Lutens fragrance - or Comme des Garcons, Frederic Malle, L'Artisan, etc......
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I'm sorry for this inconvenience, but I must ask that members avoid requesting samples on the Male Fragrance Discussion board. A forum for Fragrances Wanted exists and is the proper place.

Also, there's a no-decants policy at Basenotes. The public boards can't be used for exchange or solicitation of decants, which probably came into effect since you were last here CreedFan.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but these policies are important. Thanks everyone!
    --Chris
    I'm not sure why the policy exists, but I'm rather embarrassed nonetheless.

Don't be embarrassed The main goal I think is that this place should serve as a virgin place free from any business. Isn't it a nice thing when everything is about business in the surrounding world?

I'm not sure why the policy exists, but I'm rather embarrassed nonetheless.
    No need to be embarrassed, we're just glad to have you back!

This decant policy came into effect a few months before I joined. I missed the debates but it evidently centered around avoiding potential litigation from fragrance houses and/or retailers.

Prearranged bottle splits are allowed if each recipient's share is 50ml or more.

Some members have established off-site decant listings. Check members' signatures or sales threads for links.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

...Anyway, I now come before my fellow Basenotes brethren to ask for your help. Based on the three fragances above, can you recommend any other stellar fragrance for me?
    Derby
    Querelle
    Bois d'Orage
    Timbuktu
    Or Black
    Azzaro PH
    Habit Rouge EDC
    Jules
    JHL
    Ormonde Man
    Noir Epices
    S-eX
    L'Homme de Coeur
    Parfum d'Habit
    Pour Monsieur
    Invasion Barbare - Haven't tried it but it's supposed to be good

-
    Last edited by pluran; 2nd July 2008 at 06:16 AM.

Turin says MDCI Invasion Barbare is similar in style to PdN New York, but less "affable". I think Invasion Barbare is fabulous, and I like it much better than New York, actually. It sure it pricey, though.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm particularly interested in trying By Kilian, Invasion Barbare, Serge Lutens Chergui, as well as Amouage Jubilation XXV and Reflection. These seem to be really unique, if not ridiculously expensive scents. I'm sure I'll wind up loving at least one.

Just so I'm clear - is there anyplace on Basenotes that I can request decants?

- Brad

Just so I'm clear - is there anyplace on Basenotes that I can request decants?
    No. There is no place.

Instead of a bump and this public reminder, please send questions to me by the personal message feature. I'll be sure to answer.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    No. There is no place.

Instead of a bump and this public reminder, please send questions to me by the personal message feature. I'll be sure to answer.
    --Chris
    Dude, seriously, chill. I don't know what's happened to this place, but it appears to have been partially invaded by some VERY serious people.

I used to be a semi-active poster here, but I'm really not digging the welcome or the new regime. Take care gents...

- Brad H.