Code of Conduct

Default Okay, who will admit to wearing Tommy Girl ?

Luca Turin has it on his list of best "female" fragrances for a guy to wear, so I'm wondering if anyone has decided to try this one, or others on that list.

Default Re: Okay, who will admit to wearing Tommy Girl ?

He also lists Dzing! and Bvlgari Black as female. I consider them unisex - especially Dzing!. I wear both with great satisfaction and confidence.
    "- Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange."

That's why I chose to mention Tommy Girl !

;-)

Blog Entries

Not me, I'll stick with Shalimar and Black Orchid

No way Tommy Girl is very floral - that would be like trying to pull off Joy.

Others on that list that I have tried are:
    1000 (Jean Patou) - Tried a sample but don't like it at all.
    Arpege (Lanvin) - Intend to try wearing this in the winter and see what kind of reactions I get.
    Diorella (Christian Dior) - I love this one and wear it regularly.
    Mitsouko (Guerlain) - I also love this and wear the EDT sometimes in the warmer weather. I will use the EDP in the winter.

Turin also referred to Givenchy III as a "great masculine". I am wearing that for the first time today, but am not sure yet as to how much I will like it.

On the recommendations of other Basenoters I have also tried:
    Chanel No. 19 - I'm sure this will be one of my all-time favorites. A wonderful fragrance!
    Dolce Vita (Christian Dior) - A very sweet, fruity gourmand scent that I can see myself wearing occasionally.

Also, Eau Fraiche (Christian Dior) is definitely a unisex fragrance that I used to wear years ago before Eau Sauvage came out. I bought myself another bottle recently and am enjoying it once again. It's a great cologne for a man.

I have always liked the scent of lily-of-the-valley (muguet) but most of the fragrances that contained that note prominently were too in-your-face feminine for me to consider wearing. Then I found Jessica McClintock's Always & Forever, which contains substantial amounts of green notes, woods, and musk along with the muguet. I feel very comfortable wearing it and consider it unisex.

I totally with admit to wearing Tommy girl!!! this fragrance brings back so many memories of highschool morning sitting in 3rd period wback in 96' when all the girls were sporting it!! damn good fragrance!! very sharp though but absolutely amazing.

Dependent

ive sampled it only for a gift for my mother, didnt choose it in the end and definitely no one that i find would suit myself. I chose Hermes Hiris for her instead

I can't wear Tommy Girl, it reminds me of my High School sweetheart.
    To many Heart Breaking memories. Althought it is a good fragrance for men.

I wear Shalimar, Vol de Nuit and Mitsouko. I stick to the classics.

Basenotes Institution

I wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Luca Turin has it on his list of best "female" fragrances for a guy to wear, so I'm wondering if anyone has decided to try this one, or others on that list.
    I bought it for my wife. It smelled okay on her.
    Renato

I too think it's WAY too floral (on my skin).

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I wear it.
    The first unconditional surrender!
    Congrats Mike! You are the man to wear it!
    I never gave it a thought, but that was before I had seen you .

I wear vintage Caleche and Bandit myself, and....
    Holy Grail Mitsouko I wear once in a blue moon !
    Last edited by narcus; 17th August 2008 at 02:31 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

It's actually quite wearable. I was often confused when sampling it as there are 2 flankers. One is called T Girl and the other Tommy Girl 10 , their packaging, which has Tommy Girl written on it also, led me to believe it was the original Tommy Girl. That said, Tommy Girl is a genderless tea based scent. Fresh and very well done.
    I think Turin, who is such a gifted writer, often caves in to pointless "magazine speak". He over-simplifies things with his "best this for that" lists. They're frustrating because they remove any actual person from the equation. Best Feminines for a Man? Who is this generic man? What if this "generic man" doesn't like florals? Why not something more like "Best Feminine for a Man Who Likes Florals"? or "Best Feminine for a Man Who Likes Chypres"?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th August 2008 at 03:39 PM.

Okay, now that I know that LT wasn't way off base on this one, I'll give it a try. I like Bvlgari red tea, so this Tommy Girl piqued my interest.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    The first unconditional surrender!
    Congrats Mike! You are the man to wear it!
    I never gave it a thought, but that was before I had seen you .

I wear vintage Caleche and Bandit myself, and....
    Holy Grail Mitsouko I wear once in a blue moon !
    LOL. Well, sometimes...you have to just follow your nose.

A light application of TG on a hot summer afternoon, is just the thing. As Ruggles mentioned, it's the extremely unique tea dry down that differentiates this scent from the Britney Spears/J. Lo/fruity/floral scents that are marketed to women and teenage girls.

It's also extremely affordable. My local CVS sells the 5 ml mini of TG for less than $10.

I suppose if this scent was bottled and produced by Diptyque or Parfumerie Generale, then a lot more guys would sample this.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th August 2008 at 05:53 PM.

wayyyyy tooo floral

I tried it once, but it smells like strippers to me. Damn that scent-memory connection!
    "When he shook hands with me my nostrils were assailed by all the perfumes of Arabia."
    - W. Somerset Maugham

When people say things like "it's way too floral" (and I generally don't like floral fragrances at all), I have to consider the other reviews, because often it's just a matter of strong top notes that people are referring to. I "blow down" the top notes anyway, so I don't care if the top notes are strong (floral or otherwise). Now if TG dries down to a decent tea scent, that can be very nice, and that's what the reviews suggest (including Turin's). I think a lot of people miss out on frags with great drydowns due to the reviews that are really about top notes, but I'll sample TG soon and decide for myself.

;-)

I sniffed the cap, then slowly...put...the bottle...back...on...the...shelf.

Smells great.... on a woman

That's my point, exactly, Asha. How many people just sniff the cap and say, "no way!" ?

I love wearing it at home... I also like alot of female perfumes (Spring Flower,Light Blue,Anius,etc) that I just sample on my hands at home for fun... but thats me....
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Blog Entries

no way to any Tommy Hilfigers...and especially no way to Tommy Girl!

Cool Re: Okay, who will admit to wearing Tommy Girl ?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Smells great.... on a woman
    No, I have to disagree. Perhaps on a 15 year old girl.

I just got through reading Luca's book. Remarkable. We talk of "Creedheads. " I had no idea how many " Lucaheads " were lurking in the forum.

Damn! What would Luca think as the arbitrer of good taste if I like Vintage Tabarome by ( Oh no! ) Creed.
    The Vintage is unreviewed, unlike GIT: " Probably the only truly great fragrance produced by this firm. "

I think before being condemned to lower middle class hell I must get a dispensation from The Pope--or Chandler Burr--to continue wearing it.

I musn't think of whether or not I like it.
    That wold be too vulgar and simple a criterion, like putting crackers in one's soup.

Mitsouku---LV and NYCBoy have tried it. Anyone else?

Cheers.

Mario

Cool Water and Amouage Gold; in accordance with the prophecy.
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 17th August 2008 at 10:20 PM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Mario: I've been criticized for being too critical of LT here on BN, so I'm certainly not a "fan," but I do notice that some people are very concerned about top notes, and that their reviews reflect this, whereas I try to get rid of the top notes ASAP. I blow on the area then run out of the room without breathing, so for me the issue is the drydown. If Tommy Girl dries down to a pleasant tea scent, then it might be nice, for instance, if I got it in a swap. However, I would sample it first.

Cool Re: Okay, who will admit to wearing Tommy Girl ?

Hi Bigsly. My mistake I thought you had already tried Tommy Girl.

Just don't do the 'top note run' with a citrus esp. Eau d' Orange Verte. As you probably know, you'll miss the whole show.

Sorry if I also inadvertantly hijaked the thread into Mitsouku.
    Not that anyone's responded, mind you, but Luca in his book called it the best scent of all time, the one he would have on Mars, etc.

It was also listed as one of the best feminines men could wear, so I was curious though it doesn't help your tea fix. Suggestions anyone?

---------------------

btw, I like Luca Turin. ( Awfully big of me, I know. ) He has a grest sense of humor which comes across in such reviews as:

Platinum Egoiste-- " Named like a credit card for a tight fisted sugar daddies . . .extraordinarily bad for Chanel . . ."

Dolce & Gabbana PH- ". .Complex enough that you don't get through it in five minutes, like the tough crossword in the daily paper. Pointless but lots of guys enjoy it on the train to work. "

Opium PH---" As Talleyrand said, 'Beware of first impressions: they are correct.' . . ."

And so forth.
    Granted he has his idiosyncracies: he hates Creed, loves Chanel and Guerlian; in part for spending money on good materials and not reformulating classics into caricatures. (His greatest wrath being directed at Caron's Tabac Blond) and worships Patricia de Nicolai this side of idolatry. He might run off with her someday . . .

The best of Luca are his recommendations, at least 90% of which I'd love to try! The worst is that Ebay, curse their evil hearts, has shut down decant sales here in BN. Of course Mr. Turin cannot be held accountable for that, anymore than he can be held accountable for the Lucaheads who dare not say whether they like a frag or not, until they see his reviews, and never mind that they've been wearing it for years.

As a bet, I'd love for him to post that he only wrote that Envy by Gucci was a 5 star frag because Maurice Roucel's gang of toughs form Montmartre threatened to beat him up, or because he was drunk on Moska-Petrushki--or some other more likely sounding excuse--but that he now considers it to be as bad as Erolfa.

Wthin weeks the Lucaheads would discreetly backpedal on their reviews and posts to inform us that Envy has always been sadly overrated.

And that's sad.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 18th August 2008 at 03:53 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Okay, I had to get out and sample TG, which I did today. I furiously tried to avoid the top notes, which I guess I did, because when I took the first sniff, I smelled tea. I also smelled a note that I also smelled in Perry Ellis Portfolio Elite (for women) which I think is red currant. I don't have any problem with this frag (for a man, or me at least LOL). If I got it in a swap for something I don't like, I'd try wearing it once every few weeks to see if it is rotation worthy. There is enough of a black tea smell in it that prevents it from being too "feminine" for me.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Okay, I had to get out and sample TG, which I did today. I furiously tried to avoid the top notes, which I guess I did, because when I took the first sniff, I smelled tea. I also smelled a note that I also smelled in Perry Ellis Portfolio Elite (for women) which I think is red currant. I don't have any problem with this frag (for a man, or me at least LOL). If I got it in a swap for something I don't like, I'd try wearing it once every few weeks to see if it is rotation worthy. There is enough of a black tea smell in it that prevents it from being too "feminine" for me.
    Glad to hear you tried it Bigsly.

A person's nose is not influenced by gender classications in fragrances.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th August 2008 at 09:41 PM.