Code of Conduct

Lightbulb Scent like Avatar?

Okay folks, well back in my college days, I got into that cheapy-cologne by Coty called "Avatar." I've gotten a surprising amount of compliments on it over the years and I personally love the smell on me, all in spite of the fact that this is one of the "drug store" wonders.

Now, I know that Avatar doesn't last long at all. Yes, I have to be very near someone in order to get a compliment on it. So, in light of this, I would like to find another scent that smells like this, but lasts longer/has better projection/silage.

I read somewhere on these forums about a cologne that someone recommended that smelled just like Avatar, but I don't remember what it was. So, for those of you who have smelled Avatar, any recommendations as to a "better quality" cologne out there that comes close to matching this scent?
    Doctor, doctor...what is wrong with me...?

Default Re: Scent like Avatar?

I vaguely recall smelling Avatar in a Marshalls year ago. Drakkar Noir and one of the A&F scents are sort of like it but I cant draw allusions to any high quality scents really. I mean it is what it is. :^)

You know what? Try Paratus its not like it but its in a similar vein and its HIGH quality. www.aedes.com has it.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by anak; 2nd July 2008 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    I vaguely recall smelling Avatar in a Marshalls year ago. Drakkar Noir and one of the A&F scents are sort of like it but I cant draw allusions to any high quality scents really. I mean it is what it is. :^)

You know what? Try Paratus its not like it but its in a similar vein and its HIGH quality. www.aedes.com has it.

Cheers,
    Al
    Thanks for the tip, Al, I will have to try that out and report back to you. I didn't really think that I'd get too many responses to this thread because as you said, Avatar is what it is, which is to say, not a "high-quality" scent compared to most on these boards. It has however worked for me though and is an efficient ($) way to smell nicely, especially with the American economy being so whack right now and silly little things like gasoline taking an ever-increasing toll on my "fun money." But fellow Basenoters rest assured, it is but one small scent in my ever-increasing stock of lovely scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Amused*to*Death View Post
    Okay folks, well back in my college days, I got into that cheapy-cologne by Coty called "Avatar." So, in light of this, I would like to find another scent that smells like this, but lasts longer/has better projection/silage.
    Ah, Avatar. If I remember correctly, Avatar smelled like cold, fresh gin to me. Simple, yes, quiet, yes, but many nice things are.

Bowling Green gives me something of that gin-and-tonic feeling, although I would not say that it and Avatar smell much alike. Vetiver and Eau Sauvage maybe, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Ah, Avatar. If I remember correctly, Avatar smelled like cold, fresh gin to me. Simple, yes, quiet, yes, but many nice things are.
    Excellent analogy! I completely agree with you and thank you for giving me the words to easily describe this scent. I will proudly continue to wear it since it "works" very well for me. If only it was stronger...

Read the BN Directory reviews of Lomani for men. I think you'd like this one, and it's so cheap it's almost funny !

If the fresh gin (the drink) is what you think you're looking for, then go for Eau de Rochas Pour Homme. The openning always reminds me of a gin drink. It's a citrus/fresh scent.
    Scents with a juniper berry note will do the trick. These are scents that will give you the cool and clean smell. Joop Nightflight has juniper berry if I remember correctly and you can do a search in the directory for the note.
    Good luck!
    RM
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

I hear ya on the SICK gas prices. Everytime I fill up I think, damn coulda bought a new fragrance. Claiborne Sport has a crisp sparkly vibe to it that may curb yur needs. It's super cheap check www.scentiments.com

I recall Avatar having a sort of lavender note in it. Hmmm . . . I'll let you know if other scents come to mind.

Cheers,
    Al

Blog Entries

I actually compare it to Fierce by A&F................yes, A&F!
    Currently wearing: Vetiver Geranium by Creed

I have received more compliments with Avatar than any
    other cologne . It's getting harder to find and more expensive.

I have received more compliments with Avatar than any
    other cologne . It's getting harder to find and more expensive.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Prince de Galles Silver has a similar vibe.

OK So this thread is very old, but i would like to respond, last night I tried a sample of Creed's Royal Mayfair...an amazing scent for sure. One Royal Mayfair dries all the way down you are left with a very high quality natural smelling version of Avatar.

Since the house of Creed was already mentioned, maybe also Royal Water
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

I miss Avatar so much. One of the best cheapys for its time. Now, like everything else it's discontinued and expensive as hell. I wouldn't pay these prices for it. It reminded me of a mix between Cool Water, Tommy, and Fierce back when I used to rock it.

The only thing I've found similar is KC Mankind. The openings are similar, but past that, not much. I haven't tried the Ultimate version yet, maybe it's more like it. I knew that Mankind only smelled like Avatar for a few minutes, but I still bought it, because anything coming even close to replicating Avatar is bliss to me.

Those who never smelled this, you really missed out on something special. R.I.P. Avatar.
    My Ultimate Top 5:

Fahrenheit (1988)
    Le Vetiver Itasca (2010)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)