Code of Conduct

Default chanel antaeus-is it still a powerhouse?

As yet i have never bought antaeus by chanel.Considering it came out in 1981 is the fragrance still a winner?Does it still stand up to todays fragrances? i did recently smell trussardi uomo-and somebody said to me that it smelt quite similar to antaeus????

Default Re: chanel antaeus-is it still a powerhouse?

Depends on who you ask, I guess...

For me, as a person who wore it from the moment it came out, the Antaeus that you can buy today is not half as good as it used to be. The dry down of the 'original' juice was spectacular, now it's just 'nice'.
    The original had real beeswax in the base, I have no idea what they use now, but real beeswax it is not. Makes all the difference to me.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    As yet i have never bought antaeus by chanel.Considering it came out in 1981 is the fragrance still a winner?Does it still stand up to todays fragrances? i did recently smell trussardi uomo-and somebody said to me that it smelt quite similar to antaeus????
    It is hard to tell if it is a winner for you, but it is a good fragrance for me. It is different to the modern offerings and it may not be the best to atract 20 yearl old college girls. That said, I still preffer Rive Gauche over Antaeus, they share notes in common while RG is much more modern and wearable.

Smile Re: chanel antaeus-is it still a powerhouse?

I wore Antaeus while i was having an x-ray at the hospital.. I had to take my top off and the young nurse was mesmerized by the smell and she told me it made her want to forget about the checkup!! Go figure!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Cool Re: chanel antaeus-is it still a powerhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by deck89 View Post
    I wore Antaeus while i was having an x-ray at the hospital.. I had to take my top off and the young nurse was mesmerized by the smell and she told me it made her want to forget about the checkup!! Go figure!
    See!? Should you have worn the old formulation the nurse would have taken off her clothes too!

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    See!? Should you have worn the old formulation the nurse would have taken off her clothes too!
    LMAO, so true

I agree, the vintage juice was extraordinarily good. I haven't smelled the reformulated one yet though.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I took a whiff of the reformulated juice and then promptly stocked up on vintage. The newer juice has the same feel but not IMHO the same warmth or depth

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    It is hard to tell if it is a winner for you, but it is a good fragrance for me. It is different to the modern offerings and it may not be the best to atract 20 yearl old college girls. That said, I still preffer Rive Gauche over Antaeus, they share notes in common while RG is much more modern and wearable.
    Antaeus is still a winner fur sure in absolute terms even if it might not appeal to you. It really depends on what you look for.
    Concerning about Antaeus modernity I think it was so ahead back in 81 to be still modern nowadays. Not the same for Rive Gauche, conconted taking inspiration from the fougères of the 70's and IMO so redolent of this heritage to smell old and deja vu in comparison to Antaeus.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Antaeus is still a winner fur sure in absolute terms even if it might not appeal to you. It really depends on what you look for.
    Well that is a problem. I cannot speak in absolute terms about anything on any fragrance. Not even when you are talking about "measurable" characteristics like sillage and longevity. I still believe that if someone is looking for a scent from the 80s, Antaeus is perfect.
    You do not like RG, I preffer it over Antaeus. That RG smells older than Antaeus... I cannot agree with you, but in the end, it is a matter of opinion.
    I guess Howie has to decide by himself.

While I haven't owned it for long, I do think Antaeus comes off as an 80s powerhouse type fragrance.

While we're on the topic, can anyone answer this question:

I purchased a .25 mini of what is titled 'Antaeus Pour Homme Sport Cologne'. I've never had any other Antaeus to compare it to.

Is this the same as the regular Antaeus? Is this actually a cologne concentration (it's very strong)?

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    While I haven't owned it for long, I do think Antaeus comes off as an 80s powerhouse type fragrance.

While we're on the topic, can anyone answer this question:

I purchased a .25 mini of what is titled 'Antaeus Pour Homme Sport Cologne'. I've never had any other Antaeus to compare it to.

Is this the same as the regular Antaeus? Is this actually a cologne concentration (it's very strong)?
    I've never heard of Antaeus Pour Homme Sport Cologne... it isn't Allure Homme Sport, is it?

I bet it is.

I did smell the currently marketed version a while back. It smells quite a bit different than the older bottles I have. I am not sure about the comparison with Trussardi Uomo, but the original one doesn't smell anywhere close to Trussardi.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    I bet it is.
    Is is definitely not Allure Sport.... I purchased it from BeautyEncounter.com and it says 'Antaeus' on the bottle and box (plus it's strong and smells like its many glowing reviews). Here's a picture:

I knew this topic seemed familiar. Apparently, it's not fake. Just an old issue, now discontinued. Here's the link to an old thread:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...+sport+cologne

The current Antaeus formulation definitely does not have the exquisite natural beeswax drydown of the former formulation. But it is still a beautiful fragrance that always meets with female approval.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

It is to me.....This will always be a classic.....Not an every day scent by no means.....Still a fantastic fragrance.
    Gary