Code of Conduct

Default Am I completely insane?

After much soul-searching (and consider the sale of my first-born) I just purchased one of only two available bottles of Crown Marechale Original in the Baccarat decanter. It just seemed that rationing the few ml left in my collection was beginning to feel like someone lost in the desert with only a few drops left in his canteen.

Amy I crazy?

Default Re: Am I completely insane?

You are perfectly fine. Even better than many: you know what you want, you have rationed what you have had, you know where to get what you want at the price you can afford.

Here is another scenario for you: I have many bottles in my perfume cabinet, I have had even more of them until this year, I have no idea what I want and where to get what I really really want, and the price.... I better not go there. I am not giving up though, still sniffing bunches and buying blind, my sample collection has quadrupled in number (about 600 now? I refuse to count them little beasts!). And, on top of it all, I am perfectly normal, believe it or not!

That sounds like a perfectly sane act to me

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Up until a few years ago, I woulda said you're both nuts.
    Now I congratulate you on finding one method for eternal happiness.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Dear dear Twolf, you've calmed the maelstrom that is my soul. I've never spent so much money on myself (this was REALLY expensive!) and am not a wealthy woman. But what you said rings so true; I do know what I like. I don't own many full-sized bottles of perfume but wear each of them happily for years. Several are discontinued and, other than Marechale, I've been able to let them go one by one.

I've tried several samples lately from a very kind supplier and, try as I might, nothing took the place of my dear Marechale. Truly, I found some lovely juices which I've enjoyed, but they are definitely like the sprinkles on top of a confection, not even the frosting.

Perhaps I'm not really insane after all, just a real Juice Junky.

No - not crazy. That sounds like a solid purchase. Can you train me in your methods, please!?

Wink Re: Am I completely insane?

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    No - not crazy. That sounds like a solid purchase. Can you train me in your methods, please!?
    Ah, are you interested in methods of procurement or methods of self-control?

The latter!

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    When it comes to self-control, it's quite difficult to resist the thousands of scents available to us. So many of them trigger a memory, a feeling, or an emotion. Others perplex us and we want to understand them. Others are so foreign that we want to know them. So, how do I resist? Long ago I made a pact with myself that I could have a fragrance if I could honestly say that I could wear it almost every day (or evening) of one of the four seasons. Exceptions are when I discover a perfume has a profound and positive emotional response or evokes one the most pleasant of memories. This has to be proven out several times, not just on one or two applications. That's why testers and decants are a godsend. If a fragrance satisfies more than one of these categories, I purchase it, no matter what the price. This is what just happened with the Marechale Original.

If anyone's still looking, Parfums Raffy still has one bottle for $2500.00.

I don't think you're insane at all. You bought something you really love, which you will wear and enjoy it while you do at a price that you could afford to spend. It certainly makes more sense to me than amassing dozens of less expensive fragrances which you might not like as much only to have them sitting around for years on end unused.

Smile Re: Am I completely insane?

As a mom who has weighed the relative benefits of a new fragrance with feeding my family (and I know you'll know which I chose! ha ha), I don't think you are insane at all! As several people have said or implied, your purchase will make you happy for years! There aren't many things in life that will do that. It's not at the level of your purchase, but I finally decided to purchase a full bottle of Tihota for $250, after much gnashing of teeth and mental fretting. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to sniff it, wear it, talk about it with my friends, send decants of it to people, etc.. Now $250 seems like a bargain! I'm spraying you with guilt-be-gone, if you have any guilt left! As someone who works in the medical field I know the old adage "life is short." It really is! Live it up!

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    As a mom who has weighed the relative benefits of a new fragrance with feeding my family (and I know you'll know which I chose! ha ha), I don't think you are insane at all! As several people have said or implied, your purchase will make you happy for years! There aren't many things in life that will do that. It's not at the level of your purchase, but I finally decided to purchase a full bottle of Tihota for $250, after much gnashing of teeth and mental fretting. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to sniff it, wear it, talk about it with my friends, send decants of it to people, etc.. Now $250 seems like a bargain! I'm spraying you with guilt-be-gone, if you have any guilt left! As someone who works in the medical field I know the old adage "life is short." It really is! Live it up!
    Dear dear Lizzie, your comment about Guilt-be-Gone is precious and brought the biggest smile to my face! And as you say, life is short and unpredictable. A few years ago I got hit by a car while walking in a crosswalk, nearly run over, and have appreciated every day on this beautiful earth.

Now, tell us about Tihota and how it makes you feel. I love hearing about people who find their special scent.