Code of Conduct
    Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 5, 2008 ★★★ GREEN

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Fougere
    ("fern like;" lavender + woods + coumarin + geranium + oakmoss)

OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Jan. 2007~Orientals Feb. 2007~AnimalicsMarch 2007~ChypresApril 2007~ FloralsMay 2007~FruityJune 2007~ CitrusSept. 2007~FougereOct. 2007~ AmberNov. 2007~Spicy Dec. 2007~ GourmandJan. 2008~OrientalsFeb. 2008~AnimalicsMarch 2008~ChypresApril 2008~FloralMay 2008~FruityJune 2008~Citrus

For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.]
    Last edited by Quarry; 3rd July 2008 at 02:32 AM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 5, 2008 ★★★ GREEN

My all-time favorite green is Chanel 19 (wore it all winter!) but I have not been able to successfully wear this beloved scent since the weather got warm

I'll have to come up with another green scent....time to research!

I love two in this category :

Racquet's (Penhaligon's) with it's delicate and unexpedcted veil of powder which makes me think of Vol de Nuit.

The second one is Dioressence, between a green and a chypré, with notes of citrus and oakmoss, and a hint of fuits and vanilla.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour rchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

hi i'm new here, have been reading posts for quite awhile and have finally joined in.

my favourite Green scents are (in no particular order) :

Balmain Vent Vert - soft green and warm, my go to scent. having never sniffed the vintage, i am blissfully happy with the new formulation, especially the parfum.

Carven Ma Griffe - an odd and cool green, very sharp "pointy" at first, then a very pretty fresh powdery green, works very well in very hot humid weather

Jean Couturier Coriandre - a sultry green chypre, perfect in cooler weather imho, warming into green woods as the day goes on

Oh dear oh dear. Shall I go fig or fougere??? Decisions decisions.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Welcome 3xasif! Lovely choices, too, IMO.

I'm debating several:

Coriandre, Quarry's fave Nanadebary Green, and my recent prize from TV Lampboy, Ralph Lauren's Safari. Decisions, decisions indeed....
    Last edited by ComDiva; 4th July 2008 at 03:30 AM.
    Its thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. Theyre confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, Something is just around the corner, what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers Something is just around the corner, something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Hi, CD !
    My choice will be Voile d'Ida-
    I'll list the notes tomorrow....

Smile Re: All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 5, 2008 ★★★ GREEN

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Welcome 3xasif! Lovely choices, too, IMO.

I'm debating several:

Coriandre, Quarry's fave Nanadebary Green, and my recent prize from TV Lampboy, Ralph Lauren's Safari. Decisions, decisions indeed....
    thank you

ok, dying to try Nanadebary Green!
    haven't worn Safari in years, but what a gorgeous scent that is! not too many bottles as lovely as that one either.

Hmmm....I don't really have that many green scents in my wardrobe,but I think L'ombre dans l'eau will count as a green enough scent for tomorrow

THANK YOU SO MUCH 3XASIFand COMDIVA for mentioning Jean Couturier - Coriandre! I'd never smelled this, and inspired by your words, I went out and found it today (for a song). This is a gorgeous, green chypre !!!!! And as if that were not enough, to me, Coriandre smells like a lighter (summer-friendly) version of Chanel 19, a favorite that I can't wear in this humid summer weather. It also reminds me of Gres Cabochard, with rose and green leaves added. I am truly indebted to you both!!!

For me it is Yerbamate by Lorenzo Villoresi

Top notes: Citrus, Herbs, Tea, Mate, Verbena, Green Notes
    Middle notes: New Mown Hay, Tomato Leaves, Lavender, Tea, Mate, Green Notes
    Base notes: Galbanum, Labdanum, Mate, Vetiver, Sweet and Powdery Notes
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Hi, folks !
    I think I'll wear a few:
    Duel, for one : " fresh, woody;
    Iris roots - leather - little Paraguay seeds - maté leaves - absinth - musk".

One son says, it smells like 'basement' !
    My DH, myself, and the other, find it fresh, lovely, subtle, and intriguing-
    The old "3 out of 4 Meisters like it " maxim....

Voile d'Ida :

NM bespoke based on insistence on certain notes [ fortunately, they like each other !]:

Base : oak, orris, myrrh, oud, Russian leather, Tolu
    Heart: Bamboo, birch leaf, green ivy, galbanum
    Top: C 14, lettuce leaf

I wanted a very earthy, rooty, silvery base- sylvan, without conifers.
    A green heart that wasn't sweet, nor astringent, not too dewy;
    The tiniest touch of a 'peach-scented lift' to open it up.
    The tolu was for 'rounding out' and adding a softness, which it did.

I love the green- in everyway imaginable....
    Perhaps 30 years in South Boston has rubbed off on me !

Today's green for me

Miller Harris Eau de Vert

Courtesy of the lovely TWolf

A forest in a bottle. Wood, leaves, moss. Like sticking your nose to a freshly split branch.

Notes: pine, lavender, juniper, artemesia, rose, geranium, moss, musk and vetiver
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Felt constrained to haul out an old love of mine for this Green Saturday...

Notes: bergamot, mandarin, galbanum, ylang ylang, jasmine, Bulgarian rose, clove, oakmoss, tobacco, musk, iris, sandalwood, vetiver, leather, castoreum, patchouli and labdanum.

I'm so glad for these little festivities - I almost always end up wearing some long-neglected beauty like this one. A shade of her former self, Cabochard is still elegant but flirty - a top drawer chypre. In my opinion. (I got so excited at the reunion I wrote a review!)
    Last edited by TaoLady; 5th July 2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Capitalizing....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Basenotes Plus

Guerlain Sous le Vent

Notes: basil, bergamot, lavender, tarragon, carnation, oakmoss, iris, woods, patchouli

Fresh and green with a softly spicy floral heart and an earthy, woody base. A superbly balanced composition, subtle and elegant. In a word - gorgeous.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

My wife enjoys Sniff 'n' Speak days as well.

She is wearing Joy today.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I have less Green I think, more have had greens.

Remember Me - Christian Dior just opened it now.
    Top Notes: Bergamot Yuzu Hyacinth
    Middle Notes: Lilac Jasmine Violet LilyoftheValley Mimose
    Base Notes: Iris Sandalwood Cedar

Smells heavenly to me, start is sure green, middle smell bit green with soft warm and sweet flowers.
    Glad I purchased with another, was a blind buy on notes.
    Just now read my new Fleur Defendu is Green too.

My Have Had Green fragrances are Ma Griffe Carven, Cristalle Chanel, Alliage Estee Lauder, Coriandre Jean Couturier. Some have a mini still.
    Wish I could smell Ma Griffe again befor I make a purchase, cause I don't remember how it was only remember it was nice.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

At Mr. Quarry's request, I'm starting the day in Wet Garden. I prefer it as a room spray, but I can't say no to Mr. Quarry.

Gotta tackle some prairie weeding using the ponytail method (nobody's curious about that, are you?) sprayed down with mosquito repellent. Then I'll shower and welcome Nanadebary Green with open arms.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Wearing Vivara by Pucci (2007) from a sample. I love this green/floral retro-chypre. It reminds me of Y or Givenchy III, one of those, but it's more modern and fresher (maybe it's the absence of oak moss that makes it seem more modern).

Top Notes - Galbanum, Bergamot, Amaretto.

Middle Notes - Orange Flower, Jasmine, Narcissus.

Base Notes - Iris, Vetiver, Patchouli.

I don't smell much amaretto until the very end, and then only faintly. On me it is green, green, green.

Have a great Saturday!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Gotta tackle some prairie weeding using the ponytail method (nobody's curious about that, are you?) sprayed down with mosquito repellent.
    Actually, I am curious about that.

Thumbs up Re: All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 5, 2008 ★★★ GREEN

I'm wearing the lovely green chypre, Jean Couturier Coriandre. I love this scent!

Top Notes: Coriander, Aldehydes, Orange Blossom, Angelica
    Middles Notes: Rose, Geranium, Lily, Jasmine, Orris
    Base Notes: Sandalwood, Vetiver, Musk, Oakmoss, Patchouli, Civet

For today I am wearing

Fresh Cannabis Santal

Here are the notes from the Fresh website

Top: Bergamot, Brazilian Orange, Black Plum
    Heart: Patchouli, Cannabis Accord, Rose
    Base: Chocolate, Vetiver, Vanilla Musks

This is a scent that I think plays differently on different people as when I read the reviews there are some very different experiences being related. For me this is one of my favorites.
    On me I get only a hint of the orange and plum and much more of the bergamot at the top. The heart of cannabis comes through loud and clear on me which is why I chose this for my green scent. The notes list patchouli as a heart note but I find it more prevalent in the base as it is the last note to leave the house at the end of the day on me. The remainder of the base comes in gently as it sometimes makes me feel like I have a little A*Men remaining form the night before as the chocolate and vanilla waft in.

One last note on this one if you own Cannabis Rose do yourself a favor and layer that with this one. The two together form a heady out of this world mix.

I'm off to the convenience store to get a Big Gulp and some Doritos, I have the munchies for some reason.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Today: Eau de Campagne - Sisley

Tonight: Cabochard - Grès

Can't wait for next month's SnS.

Michael Storer's Kadota
    a very green fig on me.

Notes:
    green leaf notes
    jammy fig notes
    musk
    tonka
    date
    sandakwood

Pomander, so glad you're loving Coriandre!

I am half scent-twins with you at the moment, as I'm doing a study in "light green/dark green" on each wrist.

Light green: Van Cleef and Arpels La Saisons L'Hiver.

Top Notes: Green Lemon
    Middle Notes: White Pepper, Cardamom
    Base Notes: Musks

Dark green: Jean Couturier Coriandre
    (notes listed in Pomander's post above)

A lovely contrast within the type. I think the L'Hiver may actually be more suitable to warmer weather, because it's so light and the dry spices are refreshing. But the Coriandre, while definitely a deeper and darker scent, is also... "juicer" is the word that comes to mind.
    Its thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. Theyre confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, Something is just around the corner, what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers Something is just around the corner, something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Coriandre has been and remains my Numero Uno of all times and people, love everything about it and excited to find out that many more people are wearing it with gusto. The modern EdT version -- widely available and reasonably priced -- lacks the mossy, woody and animalic parts giving way to rose and orange blossom, and thus making it a spectacular ..... GREEN FLORAL! Try paying attention to what's available on the bottom shelves and covered with dust, you might find the one in jade green bottle or even in pure extrait.

Greens and me are two peas in a pod, from the lightweights like Guerlain AA Herba Fresca and Isabella Rossellini Manifesto (citrus and basil) to heavylifters Estee Lauder Emerald Dream, Oscar and green chypres with everything inbetween.

JC Ellena for Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle Angeliques Sous La Pluie this morning (please check MsQ's review of it in the Directory -- "building a cedar chest for his sweetheart") for the Green day.

Later for work I will wear Roberto Capucci Yendi (check the price of 15 ml parfum at FrangranSex, wrong -- should be FragranceX ). Only one other BN member seems to know and wear it every now and then besides me :wave: , and I am convinced it deserves more love on the boards.

Color: GREEN
    Notes:
    Top: Aldehydes, Peach, Raspberry, hyacinth;
    Heart: Rose, Orchid, Lily of the Valley;
    Base: Musk, Sandalwood, Vanilla.

Older Balmains (Vent Vert, Jolie Madame, Balmain) have that penetrating green, older Coriandre did too, but while they tend to go mossy, this one gets warmer and woodier while still remaining green.

I know it's unimaginative, but Chanel No. 19 is my green for today.
    Roses and green. Vetiver, iris. Smells like a library, dry and papery, with a luschious, dewy vase of old-fashioned roses on the table.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I don't do green.

I don't think anything in my wardrobe is considered a true green scent (I might be wrong though, since the classifications can be so different.) ... I dug out a sample of Chanel 19 that I had tried one other time and didn't really like. My applogies to all of you who love 19 ... it just doesn't work on my skin. But at least I can say I gave it my best shot.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Diptyque Oyedo: green limes and green thyme.

This starts out like a freshly licked lime lollipop: sweet and a little wet and heavy.

After about 30 minutes, the scent of freshly plucked green thyme emerges. Together with the lime, it's become a bright, green scent - very clean and it has a mentally refreshing quality that is very nice.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

My daytime scent for the green theme today is:

Parfumerie Generale, Jardin de Kerylos

Notes: fig, sycamore, musk (from lucky scent)

I have worn this a few times from a sample...and although it is very nice, it makes me realize what a great deal the Guerlain AA Figue Iris is (in terms of "figgy-ness" and price). However, JdK is a bit more green and vegetal, so more suitable for today!

Since I'm a novice, I'm usually testing, as I am today...
    Miller Harris Green Green Green on one arm (love it so far!)
    Nanadebary Green on the other (another immediate love).

I'm not sure if this is green for sure but SotM ~ Blue Grass...Top - rose, jasmine, lily, lavender, geranium, orange blossom Mid - vetiver, clove, laurel Base - Virginia cedar, sandalwood, musk. SotD ~ Ivoire My most favorite green. My DH bought this for me shortly after we were married, and I just love it! SotN ~ SJP ~ Covet I was suprised to hear this was green. Anyway, that will get three scents in what I consider light to heavy

Just returned from a shopping trip with my son, and while he was happily spending time in the Lindt Chocolate shop, I was in Nordstrom's perfume department. Ahhhhhh. One of the samples the lovely SA gave me was very appropriate for today's SnS; Emilio Pucci's Vivara EDP. This scent, a green floral, whose notes include Amaretto, Narcissus flower and Iris butter, is my second SnS.

Update: This scent is very pretty, a delicate green - but sadly it faded within minutes of applying (!) Perhaps this one doesn't hold up well in humidity, and would be longer lasting on drier days. Wait - just read the description on the card which enclosed the sample, and it says "elegance and natural charrm...Italian Riviera....a MOMENT of pure bliss and light-hearted vitality.
    Last edited by pomander; 5th July 2008 at 09:58 PM.

[QUOTE=Twolf;1254705]Coriandre has been and remains my Numero Uno of all times and people, love everything about it and excited to find out that many more people are wearing it with gusto. The modern EdT version -- widely available and reasonably priced -- lacks the mossy, woody and animalic parts giving way to rose and orange blossom, and thus making it a spectacular ..... GREEN FLORAL! Try paying attention to what's available on the bottom shelves and covered with dust, you might find the one in jade green bottle or even in pure extrait.

Yes - I agree that the modern EDT version of Coriande is a green floral and not a green chypre. I'll indeed keep my eye out for an older version which has the Chypre quality to it!! Thanks for the info.

Talking Re: All Invited! ♥ Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, July 5, 2008 ★★★ GREEN

EAU DE CARTIER

Just discovered this today, and I believe I have found the right green for me!

My SotE is Covet (2007) by Sarah Jessica Parker/Lancaster. Nose: Frank Volkl, Firmenich.

This scent is described by OsMoz as a floral-green scent with a fougre accord (lavender, geranium, woods)
    Top: Wet greens, geranium leaves, lemon, chocolate, lavender.
    Mid: Honeysuckle, magnolia, michelia.
    Base: Musk, vetiver, cashmere wood, teakwood, amber.

I like this scent, but I find it very strong. To me the top notes are the most thrilling, with the initial blast of greens, lemon and a pronounced chocolate note, which is really lovely. I think this borders to a gourmand. The honeysuckle also contributes to its sweetness I guess. I cannot detect the magnolia, and I have no idea what michelia is (a flower?).
    It is really green all the way, vetiver taking over the green part in the base, which is much more woody than ambery to me.

I think I would have liked this even more if the base was softer, and maybe had some vanilla in it. There are a lot of things going on at the same time in this scent, and again - the top notes is the best part to me.

Edit: Michelia=Champaca (Magnoliaceae)
    Last edited by musse; 5th July 2008 at 11:48 PM.

Blog Entries

For the evening greenery, it's a sample of Yerbamate.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

My evening scent is the super green Chanel No. 19

Top Notes: Galbanum, Bergamot, Neroli, Hyacinth
    Middle Notes: Rose, Orris, Jasmine, Narcissus, Muguet, Ylang-Ylang
    Base Notes: Musk, Sandal, Oakmoss, Leather, Cedarwood

(from the Basenotes directory)

On me, this one is mostly green at first application. Then, it mellows quickly, and within an hour, the Orris and Oakmoss are prominent.

Basenotes Institution

I almost always participate in SnS Day and yet totally I totally forgot about it everyone - so sorry...

Looks like you all smell divinely green anyways. I'm ending the last few bits of the evening in Aqua Allegoria Laurier Reglisse by Guerlain, from a sample I just got today at Sephora. It's totally with the theme today, but I can't imagine wanting to own this...it's too flat, safe and dare-I-say gentle, for this Guerlain lover. Oh well...like Shannon said, I tried!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th July 2008 at 03:30 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I think I unknowingly participated in Green July.

If Yatagan isn't GREEN, I don't know what GREEN is. Some people say there's leather in there, but all I smell is GREEN. There's not a petal in sight.

Here's a mish-mosh of what I smell in it: patchouli, rosemary, celery (not the seed, the stalk), pine, sage, and maybe thyme. 'S'all GREEN.

Blog Entries

I cheated...

Green Irish Tweed

My lumberyard has been sprayed with Roundup. Sorry about that. Actually, I have a couple of green aquatics, and I'm saving them for aquatics.

My SotE was Tokyo by Kenzo, worn with a French T-shirt for Godzilla, Le Monstre de L'Ocean Pacifique. Technically, Godzilla is green, too. I think this is one cheat which won't fly with the teacher.

GIT was a nice surprise. A very classic scent but not as old-school as many Creeds. I can see why this one gets both bought and faked in abundance. Frankly, however, I'm not up to identifying the notes without cheating, so I won't. Done enough of that already.

Still in with the green theme, even though it was not intentional. Today I am wearing:

Bvlgari Eau Parfum&#233;e au Th&#233; Vert

Notes (from Now Smell This): bergamot, orange blossom, cardamom, coriander, pepper, rose, jasmine, green tea, oakmoss, tonka bean, and beeswax

As Asha pointed out on a different thread, both of the fragrances I tried today could be considered green, so I'll be participating in my first Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday (albeit a day late).

1. Hermes Le Jardin en Mediterranee. Mmmmm, I may have found myself a keeper.

I've found various descriptions of the notes, but at the least, it appears they are fig tree, mastic tree, red cedar, bergamot, orange blossom and white oleander. Very little citrus shows up; rather, I get a slightly honeyed fig note, followed predominantly by cedar, with light floral peeking out periodically. The woody/floral notes hang around for a loooong time.

2. Bulgari EdP Extreme The Vert. Wow, this disappeared on me incredibly fast. Perhaps faster than the original version, which is ironic. For the several minutes I smelled it, it smelled "greener," heavier, and more masculine to me than the original. I loved the original back in the 1990s but was frustrated with its lack of staying power--I'll have to try it again.