Code of Conduct

Default Zara Perfumed Waters - a huge surprise!

For those who live outside the U.S., you probably know about Zara, the fashionable, yet lower cost Spanish company with an international reputation for high fashion clothing and home decor for lower prices.

Well, they have come out with a "new" line of perfumed waters, as they call them, and 2 of the 6 (three for men, three for women) I flipped for (I haven't tried the feminines)... They are packaged in glass bottles reminiscent of the Chanel Exclusifs and are EXTREEEEMELY resonably priced. 1.7 oz was the equivalent of $20 US...

The Amber was so gorgeous. Just sniffing the cap, a huge wave of honeyed, slightly syrupy goodness overtook the air and I was instantly awed. I also thought, "an amber I could wear in the summer!". It reminds me of the color of amber resin pearls, there's something crystaline and sleek and sheer about it's honeyed nature. There's something Egoiste like in the drydown, though without the stifling heaviness. A must try, really!

The Vetiver was VERY different from any vetiver I've tried. It started with a burst of something floral to my nose, richly white floral, not orange blossom which we normally would expect in a vetiver fragrance, but sharply green, which was a fantastic contrast. It remains rather sour and complicated until the end, in a very interesting way, taking a long time to find its way to a refreshing cleanly rooty finish.

The Sandalwood didn't impress me so much but I'm sure many here would enjoy it. I just thought I'd get the word out if it's not already that for those who are looking for a fragrance bargain, here is a huge one. These are not your standard issue department store fragrances, nor, at their price range, are they Bath and Body Works style... no no no, this is something special. They all suffer from a few moments of very alcoholy openings, but given a few seconds, they open up so beautifully and despite the use of the word "waters", they have appropriate lasting power (I could smell Ambar after a few hand washings) and medium sillage. To see the bottles, go to Zara.com, then click on "novedades", which should bring you to the fragrances.

thanks for reading
    Last edited by nthny; 3rd July 2008 at 05:18 PM.

Default Re: Zara Perfumed Waters - a huge surprise!

There's a Zara just down the street. I noticed some fragrances in the mens sections just last week but have to admit I didn't give them serious attention - probably due to Zara's "low cost" profile. Should be fun to try!

The bottles look pretty clean and functional to me.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    There's a Zara just down the street. I noticed some fragrances in the mens sections just last week but have to admit I didn't give them serious attention - probably due to Zara's "low cost" profile. Should be fun to try!
    I'm guilty of the same thing. I was going into Zara to buy a white button down shirt and upon waiting on the checkout line, I saw that they had fragrances and completely looked over them. I will have to give them a try the next time that I go.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
    I'm guilty of the same thing. I was going into Zara to buy a white button down shirt and upon waiting on the checkout line, I saw that they had fragrances and completely looked over them. I will have to give them a try the next time that I go.
    Don't feel guilty - I happen to do the same with Marks and Spencer scents.

Zara have some ok stuff, I'll have to check out their clothing and fragrances.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Basenotes Institution

I saw these in the display window last time I walked by the local Zara, and thought they looked EXACTLY like the Chanel Exclusifs...it's uncanny. I hastily thought they'd be cheap and synthetic scents, but now I will make it a point to smell them next time. Thanks!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I passed by Zara today in NYC, TWICE!!! Damn if I only knew.

Cheers,
    Al

They also look a LOT like the Marc Jacobs line as well!
    I will have to check these out a little closer... at that price theyre definitely worth investigating!

nthny has a terrific taste....so now i have to smell them for myself.

sad thing is I didnt even know what Zara was until reading this thread.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 4th July 2008 at 10:43 PM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I've seen this line before but can't remember when or where I was at the time.....It seems like it was in a store in Atlanta.....Right before You go into Neiman Marcus....there is a store on the right that carries this line I do believe...Sounds like something fun to check out.
    Gary

I'm over 6ft (190cm) tall and have always had problems finding smart (and decently priced) trousers that fit. Zara's been the only company that's successfully managed to cater for my needs. Other than that, I don't rate Zara that much and I won't be investigating their fragrances on my next visit. I'll probably be more interested in investigating the Spanish female SAs than anything else...
    Last edited by Trebor; 4th July 2008 at 10:29 PM.

I also came across Amber... and I bought it. Actually, not because I instantly loved it, but because it reminded me of the fragrances I always smell in the middle east. I'm now getting to like these kind of fragrances. By the way, how do you call them? oriental? amber? is amber an actual note? (Yes, I'm quite new to perfumes...)
    I was quite surprised to read lavander, coriander and cedarwood i the note list of zara amber. i wouldnt have recognized lavander, for example.
    Can anyone reccomend a very good one, of this same "family"?
    Thanks!
    Diodo

Thanks nthny for a nice thread. I used to love Winter for men by Zara. I love Zara clothes. I'm longing for trying these new scents. I really like The Amber after reading your thread.

I've never even set foot inside a Zara store.

But I'll see if I can remedy that situation this week.

Thanks for the heads up!

noggs

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by diodorus View Post
    I also came across Amber... and I bought it. Actually, not because I instantly loved it, but because it reminded me of the fragrances I always smell in the middle east. I'm now getting to like these kind of fragrances. By the way, how do you call them? oriental? amber? is amber an actual note? (Yes, I'm quite new to perfumes...)
    I was quite surprised to read lavander, coriander and cedarwood i the note list of zara amber. i wouldnt have recognized lavander, for example.
    Can anyone reccomend a very good one, of this same "family"?
    Thanks!
    Diodo
    Diodorus - welcome to Basenotes.

The Ambar is classified as a Dry Woody fragrance (not an Oriental). Of course, Ambar is much 'lighter' due to Zara marketing it as a 'cologne' style fragrance. Most other fragrances in the Dry Woody category might be heavier. I'd recommend you try:

Andy Warhol Silver Factory by Bond No. 9
    Duro by Nasomotto
    Tom Ford Extreme by Tom Ford

Since the above are kind of expensive scents, a more affordable option might be Bel Ami by Hermes. However, you need to search out a vintage formula of BA, as the 'new' version is not as good.

There are many more recommendations, however I'm hesitant to recommend them, as I haven't smelled them personally. Good luck!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 31st August 2008 at 04:54 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

thanks for the tips, mikeperez23: reading some reviews, I'm especially intrigued by tom ford extreme. i'll try to find it!
    (I have other questions, but id better post them in the "Just Starting Out" forum.)
    diodorus

There is a Zara here in the Galleria in Houston. I wrote a thread awhile back this month on some of their scents and it got no traction.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...highlight=zara

I did not like their stuff at all. I tried it on my skin and they smelled cheap and terrible after 5 minutes. Here is what I tried

Zara Man Winter--Thought it had a spicy feel I liked but dried down kind of dirty I guess and tame at the same time. No

Zara L'Homme--Like car freshener.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

It's always weird to see a thread you started a while back come back to life... I agree, ToughCool... their other fragrances did nothing for me, but I loved the fact that the Fragrance Waters seemed well-made and therein lies the surprise I guess. That, and the price for the small bottle, which probably means they are not made with high quality ingredients but they smelled nice. I also liked the bottle design. You should try the Amber when if you ever go back there.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    It's always weird to see a thread you started a while back come back to life... I agree, ToughCool... their other fragrances did nothing for me, but I loved the fact that the Fragrance Waters seemed well-made and therein lies the surprise I guess. That, and the price for the small bottle, which probably means they are not made with high quality ingredients but they smelled nice. I also liked the bottle design. You should try the Amber when if you ever go back there.
    I just didn't think when I wrote it anyone knew what the place was. Glad you wrote this though because I knew someone had to have tried this place. The surprise for me was that I liked the Winter when I first smelled it but once I got them on they changed for me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I agree, it was a nice surprise for me too! I never look down my nose at fragrances and always keep an open mind. I found myself in Zara on Newbury Street with my skinny Euro-trendy cousin, since I had no interest whatsover in the clothes, I shopped the fragrance display. I tried them all and fell in love with the Ambar. It was cheap enough that I am using that big bottle as an air freshener....sometimes I even wear it! I have mixed it well with a couple of other lighter frags to make them more "spicy." I always try "store brand" fragrances......you never know when you're gonna make a great find.

J

i was just in san francisco two weeks ago while at training and i had never even heard of zara until then...i passed right over their frags, having a similar impression as mike perez, but now im sorry i did...i will def. have to find a way to try these...thanks for the heads up!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

passed a zara store today and remembered this thread so i stopped by.
    actually liked the amber and sandalwood ones, too, however unfortunately im still fighting off the rest of a bloody cold so i dont know how much of the frags i actually smelled. but for the money il give it another shot next time im around.
    and by the way, still got myself a really nice autmn coat
    :toppie:

Another surprised BNer here, having just passed through Zara today in Copenhagen!

I tried 4 of the Perfumed Waters series...

Amber
    Vetiver
    Sandalo
    Lirio de Agua

I found all of them to be minimal and elegant... and for the price, EXTREMELY good value for money.
    I think I will be going back for the Vetiver and Amber and quite possibly the Lirio de Agua (Water Iris). At that cost, you really cant lose!

Posted reviews of these three scents:

http://www.basenotes.net/community/s...highlight=Zara

That has to be one of the worst websites to navigate ever. I hope their fragrs are more well thought out than their web presence...
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

We have two Zara stores here in Singapore and I have never bother checking out their 'fragrance department' at all. Will certainly do so on my next visit especially to test spray the amber. Love the bottles though. Nice!!!

Basenotes Institution

I'm confused.

The boxes / bottles say at the top 'Eau de Cologne' and then underneath the name of the fragrance (Vetiver, etc...). However at the very bottom of the box it says 'Eau de Toilette'.

Those of you who've smelled these - are they EdC or EdT in concentration / longevity / sillage?

I noticed this as well.
    They're EDT Mike... projection and longevity great with some (ie: Ambar) and less so for others ie: Vetiver.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I noticed this as well.
    They're EDT Mike... projection and longevity great with some (ie: Ambar) and less so for others ie: Vetiver.
    Thanks D.

Zara is having everyone else for lunch. I haven't tried the fragrances yet, but their concept is genius. I just wish the men's clothes were as trendy as the women's. I'm sure Sephora is nervous they've gone into fragrance. Once they do el-cheapo beauty, the jig is up.
    Fascinating company.

I was just looking into Zara. I'm passing by a town that has a Zara store tomorrow and I was planning on stopping there.

Damn Zara's Vetiver is nice. $35 for 200mls, what a steal!

The other linear ones were ok. I sorta liked Amber.

As for the rest of the line... I'd say they were boring and smelled very familiar BUT at the prices they are asking, it's a good bargain for the trendy kiddies.

But wow is that Vetiver awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I'm over 6ft (190cm) tall and have always had problems finding smart (and decently priced) trousers that fit. Zara's been the only company that's successfully managed to cater for my needs. Other than that, I don't rate Zara that much and I won't be investigating their fragrances on my next visit. I'll probably be more interested in investigating the Spanish female SAs than anything else...
    I've bought a couple of jumpers and t shirts from there, which were ok but the labels are scratchy against the skin!!! What **** me off is that they only do trousers and jeans in one length...very long!!! And then charge you 10 for alterations!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    There is a Zara here in the Galleria in Houston.
    Unfortunately, they don't have the perfumed waters yet. The SA told me their distribution centre sends them stuff randomly and they don't know when specific items will be available. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    Damn Zara's Vetiver is nice. $35 for 200mls, what a steal!

The other linear ones were ok. I sorta liked Amber.

As for the rest of the line... I'd say they were boring and smelled very familiar BUT at the prices they are asking, it's a good bargain for the trendy kiddies.

But wow is that Vetiver awesome!
    What scents (vetiver or non-vetiver) would you compare it to, in terms of:
    1. Overall Impression
    2. Strength
    3. Sweetness

What is it's most prominent accord ?

I'm intrigued. Nearby Zara outlet is opening soon near where I live and hopefully they'll have those.
    Anyone can report on their Iris scent?
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    What scents (vetiver or non-vetiver) would you compare it to, in terms of:
    1. Overall Impression
    2. Strength
    3. Sweetness

What is it's most prominent accord ?
    All in a scale form 1 to 10, where 1 is bad and 10 outsatnding:

Zara's:

Overall impression: 7.
    Strength: 5
    Sweetnes: 1
    Most prominent accord: Old fashioned vetiver (talcum powder like notes), then neroli

Guerlain:

Overall impression: 9
    Strength: 8
    Most prominent accord: Very dry vetiver

Adolfo Dominguez:

Overall impression: 6.
    Strength: 4
    Most prominent accord: Vetiver with an earthy feeling

Puig's:

Overall impression: 5.
    Strength: 4
    Sweetnes: 6
    Most prominent accord: mmm, not vetiver for sure!

L'Occitane:

Overall impression: 8.
    Strength: 6
    Most prominent accord: Peppery vetiver

is there any where online that this line can be ordered

I have the Amber one, it's one of the best smelling scents I have. Casual and innocent, yet sooo good.
    My only complaint is that it doesn't last very long on me.
    But superb for the price.

I also sniffed at the womens Lirio de Agua, which was very similar to the male summer edition of L'eau by Issey Miyake.

Sur la Plage

The Zara store I was in today had these on clearance - $9.99 for the 50ml and $14.99 for the 200 ml.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent

I can't believe I missed this thread... I haven't stepped into Zara for the longest time. The bottles from pics look very minimalistic, which is good, and the amber sounds so so promising... Not sure if local boutiques carry the fragrances, but I think it may be worth to check out

The bottle does look very nice.....Thanks for the info.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I can't believe I missed this thread... I haven't stepped into Zara for the longest time. The bottles from pics look very minimalistic, which is good, and the amber sounds so so promising... Not sure if local boutiques carry the fragrances, but I think it may be worth to check out
    I went to some Zara shops in Sing, and I couldn't find Zara perfumes. I think you were gonna love Vetiver and Ambar if you had a chance to test them Matthew. They are cheap, but they are so amazing.
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 26th July 2009 at 05:18 AM.