Code of Conduct

Default Hermessence - perfection bottled?

This line has me enslaved. If the Tom Ford private collections line is my cold air dark side dream come true Hermessence is everything else I could ever want to wear.

Ambre Narguille - A better Rochas Lui. Fresh tart citrus with strong bold amber presence and a vanilla tinge movig across it slyly.

Vetiver Tonka - I dislike vetiver. I love this scent. Fresh earthy with just the right amount of sensuality to keep it a comfortable sexy.

Brin De Réglisse - my favorite in the line maybe. Refreshing with a mysterious herbaceous allure.

Poivre Samarcande - strong manly pepper with BITE cooling with aromatic accords featuring a cheerful coriander.

Paprika Brasil - The one I didn't like. Reminded me of a hair pomade I used in Iran one time.

Rose Ikebana - I don't dig rose in my scents. But I could see my grandma wearing this elegant sparkly citrus take on rose. Pleasant scent very cheerful.

Osmanthe Yunnan - saved it for later . . .

Cheers,
    Al

Blog Entries

Default Re: Hermessence - perfection bottled?

Sadly mine didn't come with Brin De Reglisse, I got Ambre Narguile, Vetiver Tonka, Poivre Samarcande, and Paprika Brasil. If Vetiver Tonka laster longer and projected a little better, it would probably be my hands down favorite scent. But it doesn't, so I'm not buying a bottle until they get it figured out.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Basenotes Institution

Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka are two of Jean Claude Ellena's finest creations. The Hermessence line was one of the first fragrances I explored when I was a newbie here on BN. They definitely set the bar very high, for what I expected from fragrances.

I'd love it if Hermes would create some ancillary products though - some of the scents I'd love to smell in a shower gel, lotion, etc.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Blog Entries

I'm a big fan of the Poivre Samarcande. The creativity behind it, its elegance and, of course, its scent!

The Ambre Narguile sounds very intriguing. Haven't tried that. But citrus/amber sounds like a great combo.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ambre Narguile and Vetiver Tonka are two of Jean Claude Ellena's finest creations. The Hermessence line was one of the first fragrances I explored when I was a newbie here on BN. They definitely set the bar very high, for what I expected from fragrances.
    I find Spiritueuse Double Vanille and Red Vetyver to be superior substitutes to these two, IMHO.

What makes the Hermessence line beautiful, moreso than other brands is its subtle nature. The scents are serene, not in your face yet are rife with sensuality. They are like sonnets, passionate without being over the top. I dislike most offerings from companies like Lutens or Amouage for their in your face nature. Less is more.

Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by anak; 4th July 2008 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    What makes the Hermessence line beautiful, moreso than other brands is its subtle nature. The scents are serene, not in your face yet are rife with sensuality. They are like sonnets, passionate without being over the top. I dislike most offerings from companies like Lutens or Amouage for their in your face nature. Less is more.

Cheers,
    Al
    Good point but I still wish they bloody lasted on my skin...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post

Cheers,
    Al
    Al,

Very nicely said. I completely agree. I think I'll wash off my Piper Nigrum and put on some Poivre.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."