Code of Conduct
Page 269 of 300 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 267 268 269 270 271 279 ... LastLast
Results 8,041 to 8,070 of 8990

Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

Thank you above enablers, just ordered a bottle of HM, haha. The EdP though (sorry, L'Homme Blanc Individuel! ).
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Thank you above enablers, just ordered a bottle of HM, haha. The EdP though (sorry, L'Homme Blanc Individuel! ).
    The EDP is an entirely different fragrance (HiM as opposed to HM). It's more suited for fall/winter, and it's a very strong amber/tonka scent. Definitely not "fresh" like HM.

Quote Originally Posted by NegKing View Post
    The EDP is an entirely different fragrance (HiM as opposed to HM). It's more suited for fall/winter, and it's a very strong amber/tonka scent. Definitely not "fresh" like HM.
    I ordered HM EdP, not HiM EdP.

There are EdT and EdP versions of both HM and HiM.
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    My avatar is not a self portrait, just in case you were wondering.
    Blog Entries

No. Hanae Mori did a terrible job naming these two scents, and that creates a lot of needless confusion.

H.M. and HiM are two entirely different scents, and both come in EDT and EDP forms.

H.M. is a citrus/floral with a gourmand-ish base. In my opinion, it's better as an EDT, because the lightness works with the florals and citrus. The EDP feels gooey and the notes get weighed down. You won't even need it in EDP for longevity since the EDT lasts a long time.

HiM is a cinnamon woody scent. It's better as an EDP in my opinion, because the heaviness works better with the heavier nature of the scent.
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed

Basenotes Member

Oh damn, my apologies. Didn't realize that was the case.

Blog Entries

No worries! The people at Hanae Mori did a very poor job naming their men's scents. When HiM was first released, an SA at Nordstrom made the exact same mistake. I found the tester for HiM, but I couldn't tell if it was for the EDT or EDP, so I asked. The SA told me it was the EDP and then he handed me a tester for H.M. & said "Here's the EDT." Oops.

H.M. and HiM both in EDT and EDP. It's stupidly and needlessly confusing!

Haha, it's fine. Confusion happens in the frag world.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    No worries! The people at Hanae Mori did a very poor job naming their men's scents. When HiM was first released, an SA at Nordstrom made the exact same mistake. I found the tester for HiM, but I couldn't tell if it was for the EDT or EDP, so I asked. The SA told me it was the EDP and then he handed me a tester for H.M. & said "Here's the EDT." Oops.

H.M. and HiM both in EDT and EDP. It's stupidly and needlessly confusing!
    It's not just Hanae Mori, there's some pretty dumb naming things out there that might confuse the average Joe.

Like... 1 Million and 1 Million Cologne. Two different fragrances. A lot of 'normal' people refer to fragrances marketed towards men as 'cologne', so they might think it's the same product, or ask for one, and get the other.

And Chanel with the Allure Homme Sport Cologne Sport. Really? WHY?

La Nuit de L'Homme
    La Nuit de L'Homme L'Intense
    La Nuit de L'Homme Le Parfum
    L'Homme Parfum Intense

L'Homme this, L'Homme that.

Anywho, getting off topic. Carry on, Basenoters!
    All Hail King Kouros!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Haha, it's fine. Confusion happens in the frag world.

It's not just Hanae Mori, there's some pretty dumb naming things out there that might confuse the average Joe.
    Yup. I almost went on a Tom Ford rant... Grey Vetiver and Grey Vetiver EDT, which are NOT the same scent, though similar. And Tom Ford Noir and Noir EDT, which again, are not the same, and they're in no way related to Tom Ford Noir de Noir, which is totally different de different. And Hermes, with Terre d'Hermes and Terre d'Hermes Parfum, which are different scents, not just different concentrations. And Voyage d'Hermes and Voyage d'Hermes Parfum, which are different scents, not just different concentrations. And then there's Gucci, with two totally different versions of Gucci Pour Homme (1976 and 2003) plus Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme, which those clowns just rebranded as Gucci Pour Homme... etc etc etc. There are so many very poor names in perfumery.

Anyway... getting this thread back on track... I'm surprised and pleased by the compliments I've been getting on Reflection Man lately. Reflection is quickly becoming one of my most complimented scents. I had a happy hour date on Tuesday. At the end of the date, she gave e a hug and then paused and said "Ooh, you smell really good." I'd been wearing it for around 8 hours by that point, and I'm not an oversprayer. I'm a 3 spray guy. Reflection is a bit of a weird one for me. I don't love it yet, but there's something about it that makes me keep reaching for it. It's easily my most worn scent this month. Easily. If you're looking for a date scent, I'd definitely recommend getting a sample.

I definitely recommend Hanae Mori H.M. EDT (not the EDP) if you want a fun date scent. I specify "fun" because that's what this scent is. It's playful and fun. It's what I wear on a casual date. If I want to impress a woman, or if we're going to do anything at all formal, like go out for a fancy dinner, I'll wear something else (Royal Oud or Reflection Man, probably, or maybe even Noir de Noir). But if we're doing something casual, or if my date is a chipper sort of woman, I'll wear H.M.

I own both the EDP and the EDT, but I should put the EDP on my swap list because the EDT is so much better. The EDT will always be in my collection. In fact, I'm in the process of cutting my wardrobe down by at least half, but Hanae Mori H.M. EDT is a keeper. The EDP isn't bad, but it's too heavy for its own good in my opinion. The lighter concentration of the EDT seems to allow more separation of the notes - especially the citruses. The citruses and the jasmine float into the air while the amber, tonka and vanilla cling to skin. I feel like the EDP wears more like a gooey blob.

In theory, H.M. has a chocolate note, but really, it's more of an impression of chocolate being made by those other sweet notes. So don't expect a chocolate scent. Instead, expect a citrus cologne style scent mixed with a gourmand, though the mixture of the two keeps it from being a gourmand scent overall. It's citrus & florals in the air with sweetness on skin. For me, that's a winner.

Hanae Mori H.M. is fun. I wear 3 sprays of the EDT and get 10 hours from it. I've gotten ridiculously good feedback from dates. You can find this one online for around $20 or $25. But even if it cost $100, I'd still recommend it.
    Thank you sir. I sampled the EDP and while I liked it, it wasn't a "buy" for me. I don't know when I will be able to get back to the closest Nordstrom to sample the EDT, but for $20-$30, certainly worthy of a blind buy off your recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by david black View Post
    Aventus has that effect on (married) women. You should have known that
    LOL yikes. Throwing away a marriage for some pineapple?
    Last edited by rgdeuce; 24th June 2016 at 05:07 PM.

Wasn't expecting it but 2 compliments on Diesel only the Brave Tattoo tonight
    My top 30

1. Gucci Envy / D&G By Man
    2. MFK Baccarat Rouge 540 /Cedrat Boise
    3. Costarela / TFK Arab Spring
    4. Dior Homme Intense / D&G The One EDP
    5. Dior Homme Cologne / Chez Bond
    6. Pegasus / Aventus
    7. Antidote / By the Fireplace
    8. Gucci Pour Homme / Armani Attitude
    9. Oajan / Layton
    10. Code Ice / M7
    11. Santal Majuscule / Reflection Man
    12. ADG / Hamptons
    13. Habdan / Chanel Edition Blanche
    14. Lira / Dior Homme Sport 2012
    15. Citric Santa Eulalia / Neroli Boheme

Another wearing, another doggone compliment!! If you can't beat 'em, then you might as well join 'em! I was stepping up to pay for my breakfast in church when the cashier goes, "I don't know who it is but somebody smells REALLY good this morning!" The gent ahead of me who had already paid said, "It sure isn't me! It must be this cool fella right here!" I blushed, smiled and thanked them, all the while thanking AVENTUS for breaking a two week "dry spell."
    My Signature Lineup: MFK Baccarat Rouge 540, Grand Soir, Spice & Wood, Royal Mayfair, Pardon, Roja Dove Enigma, Dress Code, Jubilation XXV, CHAMBRE NOIRE, AVENTUS, GIT, Clive Christian C and X, Herod, Velvet Orchid, Black Orchid, Layton, Pegasus,DHI, DH Parfum, Chergui, Tuscan Leather,Noir de Noir, APOM, BEL AMI, Gengis Khan, Reflection Man, Jardin d' Amalfi, Nio, Cedrat Boise, Interlude Man, Sospiro Oueverture, Gucci Guilty Absolute, Back To Black, Vetiver Geranium.

Reside in McLean, Va. Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by cadenz View Post
    Another wearing, another doggone compliment!! If you can't beat 'em, then you might as well join 'em! I was stepping up to pay for my breakfast in church when the cashier goes, "I don't know who it is but somebody smells REALLY good this morning!" The gent ahead of me who had already paid said, "It sure isn't me! It must be this cool fella right here!" I blushed, smiled and thanked them, all the while thanking AVENTUS for breaking a two week "dry spell."
    I'm sure that made your day!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

You betcha! Plus it feels glorious to know that all your hard earned money is not being spent in vain.
    My Signature Lineup: MFK Baccarat Rouge 540, Grand Soir, Spice & Wood, Royal Mayfair, Pardon, Roja Dove Enigma, Dress Code, Jubilation XXV, CHAMBRE NOIRE, AVENTUS, GIT, Clive Christian C and X, Herod, Velvet Orchid, Black Orchid, Layton, Pegasus,DHI, DH Parfum, Chergui, Tuscan Leather,Noir de Noir, APOM, BEL AMI, Gengis Khan, Reflection Man, Jardin d' Amalfi, Nio, Cedrat Boise, Interlude Man, Sospiro Oueverture, Gucci Guilty Absolute, Back To Black, Vetiver Geranium.

La Desert Morrocan EVERY Time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Visited one of our remote offices n CA today and got 4 "ooooohhh, you smell great" comments from female colleagues while hugging it out. Dior homme did the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I found my compliment magnet: Ultra Zest. This is my third time wearing it and I've received two compliments in my first hour at work and I got multiple compliments in the first two wearings. I don't get them that often. I'm surprised this one doesn't pop up in here more often, I enjoy the hell out of it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by rickcharles606 View Post
    Visited one of our remote offices n CA today and got 4 "ooooohhh, you smell great" comments from female colleagues while hugging it out. Dior homme did the trick
    I've yet to get a single reaction from Dior Homme, which I would think to be an absolute lady killer. Regardless, the "lipstick" note to me is probably only beaten by Fahrenheit's petrol note.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rgdeuce View Post

I've yet to get a single reaction from Dior Homme, which I would think to be an absolute lady killer. Regardless, the "lipstick" note to me is probably only beaten by Fahrenheit's petrol note.
    I get the occasional compliment with DH, but we are huggers in our offices, and I'm guessing the closer proximity made it more noticeable.

As the guy said in Caddyshack: "Don't you people have homes?"

lol the bimonthly pluran run-in!

Quote Originally Posted by rickcharles606 View Post

old or new dior homme? do you happen to know what year it is? or the code so I can find? i personally think they smell different over the years so curious what version got you the compliment.

Although I probably wear them the least, 3 of my top 5 compliment getters are from the house of Creed. While I prefer other lines there is no doubt that Creed does appeal to the masses.

1) Silver Mountain Water - "No matter what your thoughts this is a compliment magnet"
    2) Aventus
    3) Reflection Man
    4) Uden
    5) Millesime Imperial
    Currently wearing: Sunshine Man by Amouage

Blog Entries

Following up on Dandydude's comment above... these are my top five compliment getters.

1) Reflection Man - the most enthusiastic comments overall.
    2) Curve - by far, the most "you smell good" compliments.
    3) Hanae Mori H.M. - such great feedback from dates.
    4) Royal Oud - the top is challenging, but once that fades, this gets me v
    5) Millesime Imperial - lots of great feedback, but I've been told it smells really nice but not sexy.

A few notes on my list.

Whenever I have a woman blind sniff through my collection, meaning, I spray paper and have her smell things without knowing what they are, Curve always ends up being one of the favorites, and it's often the favorite overall. It's easily my most complimented scent overall. Not only has Aventus not gotten me compliments from women, when I asked for feedback, I've been told it smells ok or nice, but I get feedback like "the one you wore the other day's a lot better." ...Curve.

Reflection Man can be hit or miss on paper, but the feedback I've gotten while wearing it has been off the charts, which surprised me. The best part about Reflection Man is the base. 3 sprays easily last 10+ hours (probably 16+?). It smells great in the air, but long after the top and heart notes have faded, it leaves skin smelling amazing.

Royal Oud is another that can be hit or miss on paper, and the top notes are particularly iffy for most people, but give it an hour and it becomes something wonderful (though I do enjoy the top!). Royal Oud has gotten me some of the most interesting feedback from women, with comments like "I usually hate when guys wear cologne, but this...? Wow! What IS this?" I used to avoid wearing Royal Oud on dates because I didn't think it would be mass appeal enough, but I sure was wrong about that!

Hanae Mori H.M. is one I've written about before. I own both versions (EDT and EDP) but the EDT wears so much better. The citruses float into the air while the heavier parts of the scent cling to skin (in a good way!). 3 sprays, 10+ hours, and it leaves skin smelling amazing for many hours after.

Millesime Imperial. It wears almost like a beast on my skin. 2 sprays, 10+ hours, with big projection, though I only wear it in summer. I actually had to cut back from 3 sprays because it was projecting too much for my tastes. That being said, Millesime Imperial isn't a date scent for me at all. I've gotten amazing feedback on it except for one thing. I've been told it smells nice but not sexy. A friend who was trying to set me up with one of her friends described it as "friendzone" & told me not to wear it on a date. Another woman said "it's beautiful, but If you have a crush on somebody, don't wear it around her. It smells too 'nice.' It's not flirty." That really surprised me! MI is the only scent I've ever gotten that kind of feedback on. Comments have been universally positive. I've gotten unsolicited compliments from strangers, which never happens for me, but the feedback is always "nice." It's great to have a nice summer scent, of course, and I love it! But it's not a date scent for me.

Last, but not least, I comment about one that's not on my list. Ihad a funny experience with Aventus recently which totally sums up my feelings on the scent. I was at the store, buying wine & I got a compliment on it from a guy. Where I shop, if you buy 6 bottles of wine, you get a 10% discount... so... I was gathering six. A guy came over to ask me a question, and then he came back a few minutes later & I could tell something was up. He gave me a compliment on how I smelled, and then he nervously asked if I was single. I explained that I am, but I'm straight... but still, I appreciated the compliment. Compliments are always nice. He asked for the name of what I was wearing, maybe because he really liked it, or maybe because he felt embarrassed by the awkwardness of having asked me out... but regardless, I wrote down "Aventus by Creed" plus the name of a shop that in town sells it. If I were gay, I'd wear Aventus all the time - and I don't mean that in a negative way at all. Aventus is the only scent I own that gets me better feedback from men than women. Actually, I think it's the only scent that gets me feedback from men at all.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    Reflection Man
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Bergamote Soleil
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori HM EDT

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    old or new dior homme? do you happen to know what year it is? or the code so I can find? i personally think they smell different over the years so curious what version got you the compliment.
    This was from a Sephora sample decant. My Dad was sniffing around my closet while I was on a business trip several weeks ago and ended up leaving with my bottle of DH and my 30ml decant of Heritage lol. So, I need to pick up another bottle. He also hits my humidors at will, and I'm fine with it. He's the reason I love fragrance anyway, and he's on a fixed income so I don't mind ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    As the guy said in Caddyshack: "Don't you people have homes?"
    What's your point, dude?

Oh.... and my most complimented at this point (mostly female family members) is Armani Code Profumo.

Blog Entries

Following up on Dandydude's comment above... these are my top five compliment getters.

5) Millesime Imperial - lots of great feedback, but I've been told it smells really nice but not sexy.

A few notes on my list.

Whenever I have a woman blind sniff through my collection, meaning, I spray paper and have her smell things without knowing what they are, Curve always ends up being one of the favorites, and it's often the favorite overall. It's easily my most complimented scent overall. Not only has Aventus not gotten me compliments from women, when I asked for feedback, I've been told it smells ok or nice, but I get feedback like "the one you wore the other day's a lot better." ...Curve.

Reflection Man can be hit or miss on paper, but the feedback I've gotten while wearing it has been off the charts, which surprised me. The best part about Reflection Man is the base. 3 sprays easily last 10+ hours (probably 16+?). It smells great in the air, but long after the top and heart notes have faded, it leaves skin smelling amazing.

Royal Oud is another that can be hit or miss on paper, and the top notes are particularly iffy for most people, but give it an hour and it becomes something wonderful (though I do enjoy the top!). Royal Oud has gotten me some of the most interesting feedback from women, with comments like "I usually hate when guys wear cologne, but this...? Wow! What IS this?" I used to avoid wearing Royal Oud on dates because I didn't think it would be mass appeal enough, but I sure was wrong about that!

Hanae Mori H.M. is one I've written about before. I own both versions (EDT and EDP) but the EDT wears so much better. The citruses float into the air while the heavier parts of the scent cling to skin (in a good way!). 3 sprays, 10+ hours, and it leaves skin smelling amazing for many hours after.

Millesime Imperial. It wears almost like a beast on my skin. 2 sprays, 10+ hours, with big projection, though I only wear it in summer. I actually had to cut back from 3 sprays because it was projecting too much for my tastes. That being said, Millesime Imperial isn't a date scent for me at all. I've gotten amazing feedback on it except for one thing. I've been told it smells nice but not sexy. A friend who was trying to set me up with one of her friends described it as "friendzone" & told me not to wear it on a date. Another woman said "it's beautiful, but If you have a crush on somebody, don't wear it around her. It smells too 'nice.' It's not flirty." That really surprised me! MI is the only scent I've ever gotten that kind of feedback on. Comments have been universally positive. I've gotten unsolicited compliments from strangers, which never happens for me, but the feedback is always "nice." It's great to have a nice summer scent, of course, and I love it! But it's not a date scent for me.

Last, but not least, I comment about one that's not on my list. Ihad a funny experience with Aventus recently which totally sums up my feelings on the scent. I was at the store, buying wine & I got a compliment on it from a guy. Where I shop, if you buy 6 bottles of wine, you get a 10% discount... so... I was gathering six. A guy came over to ask me a question, and then he came back a few minutes later & I could tell something was up. He gave me a compliment on how I smelled, and then he nervously asked if I was single. I explained that I am, but I'm straight... but still, I appreciated the compliment. Compliments are always nice. He asked for the name of what I was wearing, maybe because he really liked it, or maybe because he felt embarrassed by the awkwardness of having asked me out... but regardless, I wrote down "Aventus by Creed" plus the name of a shop that in town sells it. If I were gay, I'd wear Aventus all the time - and I don't mean that in a negative way at all. Aventus is the only scent I own that gets me better feedback from men than women. Actually, I think it's the only scent that gets me feedback from men at all.
    My wife loves Royal Oud when I wear it - need to break it out more.

There was a college kid n00b who came here years ago for recommendations and tried H.M. EDT on a BNer rec - he had some kind of overwhelmingly positive reaction to it on a date, and I always felt like that was one of the better calls made by the MFD.

Have to admit - more guys than gals have loved my Aventus. Thankfully, one of the gals was my wife!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
    Oh.... and my most complimented at this point (mostly female family members) is Armani Code Profumo.
    I need a sample of this. My wife didn't like it on paper, but sometimes she's pretty dismissive of fragrances on paper, and compliments hard when I actually wear them.
    https://cologniac.com - raging for the machines

A few notes on my list.

are you using the old bottle of curve?

Armaf Club Nuit Intense Man - Made in France

More compliments than my decant of Aventus ever got me.

Second Guerlain L'Instant (LIDG) layered with a espresso body lotion.
    More compliments than my vintage LIDGE

Surprising I get any. Compliments are rare with me. I'm not the most approachable man... 215lbs with a 32 waist. Tattooed and as my kids friends put it... scary lol 😁

Talk about judging a book by its cover!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Joop! Splash by Joop!

Compliments are rare, but got 2 yesterday with what is definitely my most complimented fragrance. Not something that gets talked about much but definitely one of my favourites.

CdG Wonderoud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pjvillarante View Post
    are you using the old bottle of curve?
    My bottle was bought in 2012 to replace a bottle bought in 2007, though I did a comparison between the two. To my nose, they smell pretty much identical. I haven't smelled the new clear glass bottle Curve. If somebody has the new one and wants to send me a sample, I'll let you pick a few samples from my samples stash in return, and I'll post a comparison review of the new & old Curve here in the forum. I thought about buying a new clear-bottle Curve for the sake of testing since it's so cheap, but honestly, there's no point since it's still easy to find green bottles for sale on ebay.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Rose 31
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Castile
    APOM
    Curve
    Lumiere Noire
    Aqua Celestia
    Royal Water
    Petit Matin
    Dior Homme
    Reflection Man
    1725 Casanova
    Aqua Universalis
    Prada L'Homme
    Bergamote Soleil
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori HM EDT

2 simultaneous positive comments on Dior's Sauvage from a few friends of mine. "Smells like sex," were the exact words.

Page 269 of 300 FirstFirst ... 169 219 259 267 268 269 270 271 279 ... LastLast