Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Default Re: Which scent get's you the most female compliments?

Wow. It's pretty gnarly seeing all the old Dependents' posts. Would there be any way to bring them back?

It's also cool seeing the trend go from Cool Water and Lanvin to YSL + Thierry Mugler (Discluding Indie_Guy)
    - Rich
    As always, disregard most of what I say. It's not worth your heart health to actually worry about what a 23 year old guy from Kansas thinks. Even if he is really ridiculously good looking.

Default Re: Which scent get's you the most female complime

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    M7, Animale and Clairborne Sport do it for me EVERY TIME.
    LOL...

I don't own Animale or Claiborne Sport any more...only M7.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Reaction by Kenneth Cole
    Very Sexy for him 2 by Victoria Secret
    euphoria men by Calvin Klein
    M7 Fresh by YSL

Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

It must be my poor english, but I don't see the point in the last comment at all. Would you kindly help me?

I happen to be around women who are very sensitive to fragrance as a form of expression and they are very willing to express their points of view with compliments or comments. It also seems that lots of other women comment on my fragrance and I have found some patterns that seem to repeat.

1) Women are more willing to express an opinion about my fragrance when I am in the presence of another woman. Something about being around another interested woman seems to empower comments to come forth. Interesting.

2) The most common negative comment from women about fragrance is strength of application - "know the strength of your juice and back off of it a little!".

3) Powerful masculine scents that are most popular to men such as BIG leathers, chypres, or big spices are NOT APPRECIATED by women nearly as much as they are by me or other men. Generally these big masculine scents are good for how they make YOU feel, not those around you. These are frags like: knize 10, MKK, CM, PPH, VC&A, Anteaus, Derby, Versailles PH, Michael, Gucci PH, YSL RGpH, Cuiron, etc.

4) The fragrances that get most positive comments from women - without fail - are incense woods and floral incense frags. These types of fragrances almost never fail to engender comments from women. I think these fragrances represent a mystical "male principal" or the spiritual side of the odor spectrum and are a natural magnet for the most women. Lot's of positive comments especially when I wear Avignon, Kyoto, Rose 31, Erolfa, or Borneo 1834.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    It must be my poor english, but I don't see the point in the last comment at all. Would you kindly help me?
    LOL I'm sorry! I just found that funny picture and this thread was the first target I saw! No offense.. I just thought it might get a laugh!:brolly:
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Thumbs up Re: Which scent get's you the most female compliments?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    3) Powerful masculine scents that are most popular to men such as BIG leathers, chypres, or big spices are NOT APPRECIATED by women nearly as much as they are by me or other men. Generally these big masculine scents are good for how they make YOU feel, not those around you. These are frags like: knize 10, MKK, CM, PPH, VC&A, Anteaus, Derby, Versailles PH, Michael, Gucci PH, YSL RGpH, Cuiron, etc.
    Completely Right.

Thumbs up Re: Which scent get's you the most female compliments?

Many :
    VIVARA - female scent that drive women crazy -many many compliments
    ARPEGE PH
    GREEN IRISH TWEED
    EGOISTE PLAT.
    CHANEL Nş 19 - another female scent
    A.ELIXIR - another female scent
    TERRE D'HERMES - many compliments
    PRADA AMBER PH
    L'INSTANT and HABIT ROUGE
    ANTIDOTE - many compliments
    DIOR HOMME
    and many others...I have a special skin...

I happen to be around women who are very sensitive to fragrance as a form of expression and they are very willing to express their points of view with compliments or comments. It also seems that lots of other women comment on my fragrance and I have found some patterns that seem to repeat.

1) Women are more willing to express an opinion about my fragrance when I am in the presence of another woman. Something about being around another interested woman seems to empower comments to come forth. Interesting.

2) The most common negative comment from women about fragrance is strength of application - "know the strength of your juice and back off of it a little!".

4) The fragrances that get most positive comments from women - without fail - are incense woods and floral incense frags. These types of fragrances almost never fail to engender comments from women. I think these fragrances represent a mystical "male principal" or the spiritual side of the odor spectrum and are a natural magnet for the most women. Lot's of positive comments especially when I wear Avignon, Kyoto, Rose 31, Erolfa, or Borneo 1834.
    & why are Rive Gauche users bitten from women ?
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Rive Gauche is one of the most complimented fragrances by women. There was a thread in the female board asking what they liked and Antaeus had a huge showing.

Smile Re: Which scent get's you the most female compliments?

Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Hanae Mori HM
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque + Serge Lutens Daim Blond
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

This is completely subjective and is quite unlike my personal experiences. A much better barometer would be the comments of a random encounter and not that of the same group of people critiquing your SOTD.

PPH, Gucci and Cuiron have long been favorely complimented by women in my life along with BdP, CCX, Havana, Trussardi, Dunhill 34, Carpucci, Ungaro etc, etc, etc

There might be something about what scent fits which type of personality. Some guys can pull off heavy florals, some guys you expect to wear heavy florals.

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    I honestly don't think Rive Gauche belongs in the powerful masculine scent category. It's not big on leather, spice or animal products of any sort. Just a very clean linear scent.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Women I'm around love Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    Women do love VC&A PH...even this girl at work who hardly ever talks to me told me i smelled good with it.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Cool Re: Which scent get's you the most female complime

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe View Post
    Geir has gotten me the most compliments from women, but as far as scents that are attractive to women, which is what I assume you're looking for in this thread, I think it goes far beyond compliments. While Geir gets the most compliments, and I believe women like it, I don't think I've ever gotten any action wearing Geir. A*Men on the other hand generates noticeably fewer compliments than Geir (though still gets a decent number) but I tend to be extremely successful with women when I wear this. Envy too is like A*Men, though I am not successful to the same degree when wearing Envy (though still damn good). It could just be that I decide to wear A*Men when I'm going to be in a probable position to get some action anyways, but I think it's definately more than that. The stats for A*Men are really remarkable, and easily speak for themselves. So remember folks, enjoy the compliments but I would say that body language is even more important. Actions smell louder than words.
    Aha! I think this is a subtle but extremely important point.

(Disclaimer: I like Geir and can't stand A*men, but that's neither here not there, we're talking about women)

There are frags that are, for a lack of a better term " easy to wear. "

New Tabarome comes to mind, --It's difficult to overspray the blasted thing even if you try to! On the other hand, Vintage Tab? Half a spray at most.

Comparing Geir to A*men, while the former is edp strengtht and the latter an edt abomination, it's hard to overspray Geir. Yet with A*Men there will always be some chick perverted enough to go for you!!

So, while you may get nice compliments on Armani or GIT

I think wearing Roma, Minotaure, MKK, Havana and co. will get you a whole different level of compliments, if you know what I mean--- and I think you do.

Better to be loved or hated than merely patted on the head.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Cool Re: Which scent get's you the most female compliments?

Quote Originally Posted by sanatik View Post
    Perhaps the wearer was EXTREMELY handsome! I wore Rive Gauche as my daytime and inoffensive scent, and no body bitten me to the point!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by xx396 View Post
    Rive Gauche is one of the most complimented fragrances by women. There was a thread in the female board asking what they liked and Antaeus had a huge showing.
    I'm not against Antaeus or any particular scent. But I think lots of this comes from psychological effects.
    "There was a handsome gentleman in early 80s and he wore Antaeus..."
    So, when a person smell it, the memories of a "HANDSOME GENTLEMAN" come alive...

Lagerfeld Man
    Burberry London
    Fahrenheit
    Rive Gauche
    Xerius

Green Irish Tweed is the only time a STRANGER complimented me on a fragrance.

But I get the most compliments from women I know on Santa Maria novella's MUSK and 212 (which blew me away how fresh it is, despite 75 million people wearing it as I write this).
    Above, what is "MKK?"

Which is better or more refined? Minotaure or Roma? ARen't they both clones of Floris Santal? Are is it the other way around? I find Guerlain's Heritage to be identical to Santal Floris (other way around).

Cool Re: Which scent get's you the most female compliments?

Quote Originally Posted by blah114 View Post
    Green Irish Tweed is the only time a STRANGER complimented me on a fragrance.

But I get the most compliments from women I know on Santa Maria novella's MUSK and 212 (which blew me away how fresh it is, despite 75 million people wearing it as I write this).
    Above, what is "MKK?"

Which is better or more refined? Minotaure or Roma? ARen't they both clones of Floris Santal? Are is it the other way around? I find Guerlain's Heritage to be identical to Santal Floris (other way around).
    Hi blah. MKK is Muscs KublaI Khan by Serge Lutens--a scent which really stands out for good or evil---check out the reviews.

No, neither Minotaure nor Roma are remotely close to the 'improved Gucci Envy', Floris Santal.

As to which is more refined, that's a tough one to answer--they're cousins, or really brothers. Minotaure is the older more powerful sibling but has an herbal note some find off-putting. Roma is quite smooth.

Sorry to be repetetive, but----check out the reviews.

I find Guerlian's Heritage at drydown to remind me of Zino by Davidoff, but maybe I'm the only one?

Of course you're going to get complimennts on 212! Ditto 212 on ice, 212h2o--it's one of those inoffensive scents that is NOT boring --and feels 'modern' ---like New Tabarome. It's " nice."

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I have gotten 1 on Kouros, 1 on Iceberg Twice, and 3 or 4 way thumbs up on Azzaro Onyx.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

CK Obsession, but the compliment only made me angry since I can´t stand it myself and was just wearing it out of spite.

Talking Re: Which scent get's you the most female complime

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    Actually, it's not just a sexual thing, I think women like to smell things of anyone they love - children, parents, spouse - it gives us the warm, fuzzies and makes you feel close to someone even if they're not there. I don't know if men get that, too, with the same intensity.

So smelling nice is a good thing, regardless of how many compliments you actually get. It may not always be appropriate to pay a compliment, but that doesn't mean you don't get noticed. Actually, I wish more men would wear cologne because I rarely come across it except for my brother and one co-worker who always smell good.
    BINGO!!
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    I'll say women just like when a guy smells nice and doesn't over do it, regardless if it's some high end niche brand or not. Most women are not that fragrance saavy, just as most men are not.

I'll also say that women are much more sensual than men, so they will notice how you smell even if they don't notice you're there at first. How can I put this, I'm out walking, shopping whatever, doing my own thing, minding my own business - I'm trying hard to decide between Lucky Charms and Cinnamon Toast Crunch. If a guy that has a scent, good or bad, passes by me I will take notice, if he has no real fragrance/scent, I probably won't - I'll keep focused on cinnamon toast and colored marshmallows. ;D

I think scent can definitely be an aphrodisiac for women, if she likes the way you smell she'll be receptive you. If she really likes you, she likes how you smell with cologne or without, freshly showered or sweaty from working out, she'll want to nuzzle her nose in your leather jacket just to smell you. Actually, it's not just a sexual thing, I think women like to smell things of anyone they love - children, parents, spouse - it gives us the warm, fuzzies and makes you feel close to someone even if they're not there. I don't know if men get that, too, with the same intensity.

So smelling nice is a good thing, regardless of how many compliments you actually get. It may not always be appropriate to pay a compliment, but that doesn't mean you don't get noticed. Actually, I wish more men would wear cologne because I rarely come across it except for my brother and one co-worker who always smell good.

I haven't read all the posts but this rang true for me. So few men wear anything and ANYTHING seems better than nothing so long as it is not bathed in. The grocery store scenario is sooo TRUE. Exactly the same thing wherever I go. The problem a lot of times is men are so busy on a mission to get their shopping done by the time you notice the smell, they are gone and around the corner. Like a true female I have a tendency to lolly-gag. Oh well. And for fresh...winning out over the heavier smells. I think its human nature that 'clean" in a male is going to win out more often than anything else. Men have a tendency to just smell rank w/out hygiene, so anything that emphasizes that characteristic probably isn't going to win the common female vote. I speak for us commoners here. Also anything too heavy makes me think that there skin would taste of pure cologne and burn my tongue. I don't like that. Paradoxically...its probably better to have something strong so you only have to apply it to specific areas..that way your skin does not have it everywhere and you can still smell it (but not taste it). Do men think of the same things about women or am I just being my normal strange self?
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

Mambo and Gaultier2

Quote Originally Posted by sameasalways View Post
    I haven't read all the posts but this rang true for me. So few men wear anything and ANYTHING seems better than nothing so long as it is not bathed in. The grocery store scenario is sooo TRUE. Exactly the same thing wherever I go. The problem a lot of times is men are so busy on a mission to get their shopping done by the time you notice the smell, they are gone and around the corner. Like a true female I have a tendency to lolly-gag. Oh well. And for fresh...winning out over the heavier smells. I think its human nature that 'clean" in a male is going to win out more often than anything else. Men have a tendency to just smell rank w/out hygiene, so anything that emphasizes that characteristic probably isn't going to win the common female vote. I speak for us commoners here. Also anything too heavy makes me think that there skin would taste of pure cologne and burn my tongue. I don't like that. Paradoxically...its probably better to have something strong so you only have to apply it to specific areas..that way your skin does not have it everywhere and you can still smell it (but not taste it). Do men think of the same things about women or am I just being my normal strange self?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Me likes the way you think!

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Bergamot 22 by Le Labo

prolly AdG and Envy...AdG seems to get the most though..

Banned

L'EAU D'ISSEY

I'm not surprised that a LOT of basenoters have answered this. This one will guarantee attention from both genders. If we were to count which fragrance appeared the most in this thread, this one is the one.

A little unwanted preaching:
    If your only concern behind wearing a cologne is to get some female attention (and definately not for your own pleasure), then this is the ONLY cologne you should buy (and save a load of money).

What age is the most suitable for L'eau D'Issey? I'm 20 years old.

Also 20 y/o, Also have L'eau D'Issey, also have a gf who loves it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by g3921 View Post
    In my opinion from 20ish to early 60s.

I've had very positive remarks on Jako by Lagerfeld.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Quote Originally Posted by g3921 View Post

lol....perfect age....i'd say anything above 17 and below 32 is good.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

For me, it's been consistently Himalaya - Creed. And normally it's near lunch time that I have received the most compliments... does it hint at something? But maybe it means the basenotes are outstanding!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Wink Re: Which scent get's you the most female compliments?

Before:
    Egoiste
    L'eau D'Issey
    EL's Pleasures pour Homme
    Escada Sentiment
    Cartier's Eau de Concentree

Lately - Creed's SMW, Iceberg Twice, Mandragore, Gucci Pour Homme,

Sur la Plage

I had several female co-workers go ga-ga over L'Occitane Eau de L'Occitan.

Unfortunately, I only received the most compliments on mass market stuff that I've moved on from. Stuff like Curve Crush, Acqua di Gio, and Abercrombie Fierce. I think the latter is also the reason I get complimented on Platinum Egoiste ("You smell good, is that Fierce?").

I wear cologne 1/3 for myself, 1/3 for girls, and 1/3 as a means of expression (which is why I've stayed away from the mass market stuff since). However, it seems that the ones that get complimented the most are "fresh" and "clean" smelling scents as opposed to Heritage or BdP.

PDN's NY gets me the most reaction, followed closely by Versace Eau Fraiche...

(as my bottles of Creed/Lutens/LV remain bewildered!)

a.

Default Re: Your most complimented frags this year from the opposite sex

For me.

1.Bel-Ami
    2.Equipage
    3.Aramis 900
    4.Creed Original Santal
    5.Santos
    6.Pasha.
    7.Jazz
    8.Antadote.
    9.PDN New York.
    10.Lagerfeld Classic
    11.Creed BdP
    12.Bath & Body Woodland
    13.Anteus
    Last edited by Zerby; 4th August 2009 at 04:23 PM.

Blog Entries

Hey I remember this thread. I still don't care what the opposite sex thinks, but lately I've been complimented on:

Loilta Lempicka au masculin
    Musc Ravageur
    Bvlgari Black
    M7

Come to think of it, I don't recall the last time I was complimented on one of my fresher frags like Mugler Cologne, L'eau D'Issey, Reaction, etc.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Most recently:

Creed MI
    Creed Acier Aluminum
    Jako - Lagerfeld
    Penhaligon's Racquet
    Lolita Lempicka
    Givenchy Pi
    YSL M7
    Last edited by silverbullet; 29th January 2008 at 08:30 PM.

Aramis, Bel Ami, Yatagan, Equipage, Baime
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

I'll be wearing Equipage for the first time tomorrow. I sprayed it twice last night in my upstairs bedroom---WOW---I was not expecting that power. I could smell it downstairs later!

1. tommy bahama very cool
    2. chanel egoiste
    3. LV Musk
    4. kenneth cole reaction
    5. John Varvatos original

Quote Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
    Aramis, Bel Ami, Yatagan, Equipage, Baime
    You really get complimented on Baime? REALLY? I don't want to hurt your feelings, but it just came out all salad dressing on me. Baime just made me feel as though I needed to stick a carrot atop my nose, some arugula on my chest and a piece of parsley between my butt cheeks. I couldn't wash that MPG frag off fast enough.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 29th January 2008 at 09:12 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

BMen ! intimately beckham
    when your walking through hell walk faster !
    old enough to be mature - young enough to act plain stupid

1-Saks for her
    2- Ralph Lauren Blue
    3- West Side
    4- AWSF
    5- Shalimar

Most intense recent compliment: Bombay Sapphire Infusion -- A group of several women came into my office one day to find out what I was wearing. I wasn't in at the time, but I'm told that they hung out around my desk for a while, taking deep breaths and going on about how great it smelled. Later one of them approached me and said how "wonderful" I smelled and asked what I was wearing, as others were "dying to know" but were too shy to ask. I'm thinking that I've got to wear this stuff more often...

Others complimented frequently:
    Platinum Egoiste
    A&F Woods
    Azzaro PH
    Last edited by Ronald; 7th February 2008 at 05:24 PM.

Only compliments I have ever received were for Hermes d'Orange Verte and (Monday) for Tom Ford.

Go figure.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 30th January 2008 at 01:44 AM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Rose 31 and Ambre Sultan, each twice, and once for Bois du Portugal.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Without a doubt...

Havana / Havana Reserva

Just got two compliments from ladies on Saturday night....

Keep in mind I'm in college...

Victoria's Secret Very Sexy 1
    Bvlgari Aqua

Those 2 get compliments every time they are worn. Also girls always want to be closer to me when i have those I noticed.

KC Black
    Burberry Brit

These 2 are also good at garnering compliments. I wear these a lot now when its colder out.

Platinum Egoiste
    Green Irish Tweed
    Mambo

Everything I wore besides Bowling Green got compliments.
    Polo Sport, Cool Water and Original Vetiver got the most.
    Virgin Island Water has only been worn twice (10 sprays each), and got compliments both times, once in the morning (Lime), once later when the Coconut was more.

oops posted reply in wrong topic.
    Last edited by Mandrake9072; 1st February 2008 at 07:10 PM.

It was my first day wearing L'Anarchiste to work and shortly after I stepped in the room one of my coworkers asked if I smelled something burning. I replied, slightly downtrodden "Oh, it's probably my new fragrance you are smelling" (I don't think it smells burnt at all.. but different noses, y'know?).

Turns out something really was burning and she liked the scent!

Ungaro III
    Jaipur Homme
    Black XS
    John Varvatos
    Thierry Mugler

#3 Musc Ravageur (8-12 comments from the 4 wearings).

#2 OUTRAGEOUS! by Frederic Malle (probably 12-16 comments/compliments from the 4 wearings)

#1 Silver Mountain Water by Creed(i think 8-10 comments/compliments from a single wearing)
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com