Code of Conduct
Page 65 of 263 FirstFirst ... 15 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 115 165 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 7882
  1. #1921

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    46

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I just tried my sample of Rive Gauche the other day, since it's so often mentioned in this thread. It smells EXACTLY like Old Spice....yuck!

  2. #1922

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I got compliments from Bulgari AQUA when at work...it smells great. Not Bulgari Aqua Marine, though, just Bulgari Aqua, in deep dark green bottle. Real nice.

  3. #1923

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Hmm, Rive Gauche and Azzaro are the kudos collectors for me!
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

    - Anonymous

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

  4. #1924
    Sokkou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Empire State
    Posts
    770

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Creed Millesime Imperial, and Azzaro Chrome all elicit compliments for me. I don't like to use anymore than 3 frags in a given rotation because I like to impart a sort of signature smell to those I interact with on a daily basis, more meaningful I believe.
    If Polge had replaced Chanel Allure Homme "Sport" with "Fraiche", Basenotes would be all over it.

  5. #1925
    Sokkou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Empire State
    Posts
    770

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by jcw122 View Post
    I just tried my sample of Rive Gauche the other day, since it's so often mentioned in this thread. It smells EXACTLY like Old Spice....yuck!
    I agree, it does smell like Old Spice. I think those reporting compliments from it are likely getting them from a more mature demographic of ladies.
    If Polge had replaced Chanel Allure Homme "Sport" with "Fraiche", Basenotes would be all over it.

  6. #1926

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sokkou View Post
    I agree, it does smell like Old Spice. I think those reporting compliments from it are likely getting them from a more mature demographic of ladies.
    Couldn't agree more! All those recommendations of RG to high school guys here on Basenotes are just plain ridiculous.

  7. #1927

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    ---
    Last edited by Desmond Hume; 22nd January 2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: double post

  8. #1928
    Hollandaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jokke View Post
    Couldn't agree more! All those recommendations of RG to high school guys here on Basenotes are just plain ridiculous.
    Good lord, SOMEONE finally says it. Unless a high school guy shaves a lot and loves the smell of shaving cream or enjoys splashing of his dad's Old Spice, this one's a no-no. I use an electric shaver, so the "barbershop/shaving cream" feel doesn't mean much to me to enjoy it. =/ If someone's looking to get a little bit of extra attention from the younger gals, stuff like Chrome, Allure Sport, Dreamer, Le Male, Burberry London, and the like would do more good for them than something as elegantly refined as Rive Gauche or Terre d'Hermes which requires a bit more of a deeper appreciation for that sort of thing from them (the younger girls).
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 22nd January 2010 at 07:54 PM.

  9. #1929
    ^Champion Thread Killer

    kbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Big Blue Marble
    Posts
    21,645
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Just a thought on the originator of this thread: I wonder if knows he or she as the case may be is the proud author of a Thread with nearly 200k views..
    Last edited by kbe; 22nd January 2010 at 08:06 PM.
    "Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be"--Anonymous
    Currently wearing: Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

  10. #1930

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Well I;ve been keeping track of the amount of compliments I receive from the fragrances I wear. I'm around A LOT of women frequently because I'm a male dancer for bachelorette parties on the weekends for some extra cash. So far the highest complimented fragrances for me are...

    Rochas Man - it seems every woman in any age group loves this scent, my most complimented.
    Armani Code - popular or not this fragrance receives a ton of compliments, primarily from the younger age group though.
    Polo Modern Reserve - This gets some amazing compliments from the cougars and occasionally from the younger ones since it is a more modern take on the old favorite
    A*Men - this one gets compliments once in a while but when I do get them they're genuinely over the top.

    So far those are my highest complimented fragrances with Burberry London being the closest one.

  11. #1931

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    ...

  12. #1932

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    Good lord, SOMEONE finally says it. Unless a high school guy shaves a lot and loves the smell of shaving cream or enjoys splashing of his dad's Old Spice, this one's a no-no. I use an electric shaver, so the "barbershop/shaving cream" feel doesn't mean much to me to enjoy it. =/ If someone's looking to get a little bit of extra attention from the younger gals, stuff like Chrome, Allure Sport, Dreamer, Le Male, Burberry London, and the like would do more good for them than something as elegantly refined as Rive Gauche or Terre d'Hermes which requires a bit more of a deeper appreciation for that sort of thing from them (the younger girls).
    Honestly, this is totally subjective....Its funny because I thought just like this when I bought this 2 years ago ( I was a sophomore in college). You have to think about this in a different way: young girls are bombarded by this aquatic stuff all the time, and so they quickly recognize Chrome, Allure Sp., and anything from Hollister and A&F (even the common spiciness of Armani Code, Burb. London, and Dreamer). But, if you are the guy who confidently and carefully applies Rive Gauche, you'll be the one leaving a new impression. Honestly, RG isn't as mature as people swear it is. Plus, you've got to take your chemistry into account. It comes off more fresh when I wear it...Here's my suggestion to the high schoolers: get a sample, put it on in the security of your home, and have a young girl who you trust tell you what she thinks. I bet you'll be surprised by her response.

  13. #1933
    Sokkou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Empire State
    Posts
    770

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by timkm1 View Post
    You have to think about this in a different way: young girls are bombarded by this aquatic stuff all the time, and so they quickly recognize Chrome, Allure Sp., and anything from Hollister and A&F (even the common spiciness of Armani Code, Burb. London, and Dreamer). But, if you are the guy who confidently and carefully applies Rive Gauche, you'll be the one leaving a new impression.
    I entirely disagree. 95% of chicks will not recognize any scent any further than deciding that you smell A. good, or B. not good. They're only going to pickup on the sensation that what their smelling pleases them or what they're smelling turns their nose up. Sorry mate.
    If Polge had replaced Chanel Allure Homme "Sport" with "Fraiche", Basenotes would be all over it.

  14. #1934

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    751

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    i agree with Sokkou, aint no way a girl gonna be like: ''Oh isn't that Jean Claude Ellena's masterpiece'' lol..

  15. #1935

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    ^ Gotta disagree. The girls I know, know all the typical fragrances out there, except they only know the name of the house and not the fragrance itself. Eg. Oouuuhh is that Jean Paul Gaultier... Oouuuhh is that Versace.... Yuck is that old man's cologne..... Ouuhhh is that Yves Saint Laurent?

    They know the smells, but not always the names that go with them. You don't wanna be the guy who smells like her ex boyfriend, or the douche that grabbed her boob at a club last week, regardless of whether she knows the name of your cologne.
    Sales thread here

  16. #1936
    Sokkou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Empire State
    Posts
    770

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    ^ Gotta disagree. The girls I know, know all the typical fragrances out there, except they only know the name of the house and not the fragrance itself. Eg. Oouuuhh is that Jean Paul Gaultier... Oouuuhh is that Versace.... Yuck is that old man's cologne..... Ouuhhh is that Yves Saint Laurent?

    They know the smells, but not always the names that go with them. You don't wanna be the guy who smells like her ex boyfriend, or the douche that grabbed her boob at a club last week, regardless of whether she knows the name of your cologne.
    Maybe each of them know a few at most, but no typical girl with a typical interest in fragrance knows all of the typical houses, it's not just a reasonable statement to make. Most girls I know enjoy fresher/unisex type scents.
    If Polge had replaced Chanel Allure Homme "Sport" with "Fraiche", Basenotes would be all over it.

  17. #1937

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Agreed with Sokkou, I haven't met one girl my age who knows what colognes there are except for Acqua di Gio and Fierce. Chrome's popularity has died down, and Allure Sport isn't very popular yet, which means someone my age can pull them off without smelling like someone's ex.
    Last edited by Jack103; 22nd January 2010 at 11:42 PM.

  18. #1938
    Sokkou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Empire State
    Posts
    770

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack103 View Post
    Agreed with Sokkou, I haven't met one girl my age who knows what colognes there are except for Acqua di Gio and Fierce. Chrome's popularity has died down, and Allure Sport isn't very popular yet, which means someone my age can pull them off without smelling like someone's ex.
    Yep, Acqua di Gio, Fierce, and Cool Water are generally all girls know by name, at least in my experience.
    If Polge had replaced Chanel Allure Homme "Sport" with "Fraiche", Basenotes would be all over it.

  19. #1939
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I disagree with you guys saying girls don't know the fragrances. You're not giving them enough credit. Most girls I know could tell you is a dude was wearing JPG, it's popularity has died down a bit, but EVERYONE was wearing it not too long ago. And here's a shocker for you all, contrary to what you may think most girls AND guys will mix up ANYTHING fresh. It doesn't matter what it is, ADG, Allure Sport, any of the Versaces, they are all in a category of designer fragrance that is almost interchangeable and whose sillage will most often be associated with Aqua di Gio whether it is or not. I don't know what girls you guys know, but the ones I know generally go to the store and sniff as much as possible when looking for a scent for their boyfriend, so they're more familiar with fragrances than you think.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  20. #1940
    Sokkou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Empire State
    Posts
    770

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Whatever you say man.
    If Polge had replaced Chanel Allure Homme "Sport" with "Fraiche", Basenotes would be all over it.

  21. #1941

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I love the debate that has stirred on this thread even though my intention was not to cause controversy. Believe me when I say I am a fan of Allure Homme Sport, Bvlgari Aqua, Issey Miyake, and even many other aquatics. They definitely have their place within one's rotation...No argument there. But what I think we as younger guys miss is the importance of memory and how it works with fragrances. Typically fresh fragrances, like those I just listed, smell all the same at a distance, especially to a nose that's not well skilled. So ultimately, you don't really leave a vivid impression that's much different from the next guy when you utilize something with only subtle differences from what's so prevalent (can you imagine someone mistaking your AHS for an Adidas aquatic? It could happen). Furthermore, plenty, and I mean plenty of girls I knew in high school (just 4 years ago) could name at least 5-10 popular men's fragrances off the top of their heads (many of which would have been freshies)...You gotta remember that they see this stuff everywhere: from their BF's wardrobe to the perfume counter at the dept. store - not to mention all the holidays, birthdays, and anniversaries they spend buying their significant other fragrances (its not hard to imagine).

    All I want you to consider is that you can make the same impression you are trying to make in a more original way - a way that will set you apart from your counterparts. Believe it or not, in high school my GF LOVED Christian Dior's Dune for men (a fragrance that was more mature and had been out for almost 10 yrs at the time) on me, but found my Cool Water & Lacoste Style-in-Play boring. And though there were several who liked my Lacoste, I never got reactions from it like I did the Christian Dior. Go figure....

    Last comment: If you're gonna go with a freshie/aquatic, Allure Homme Sport is a great choice; it shows you've got good taste.

  22. #1942

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonte View Post
    Okay so here is the results of all 31 pages

    GREEN IRISH TWEED 59
    MILLESIMME IMPERIAL/ CREED 47
    KOUROS + BODY KOUROS 45
    ISSEY MIAYKE LÉAU DISSEY 36
    RIVE GAUCHE 32
    TERRE ´D HERMES 29
    AQUA DI GIO/ ARMANI 28
    SILVER MOUNTAIN WATER/ CREED 28
    ALLURE HOMME/ CHANEL 27
    EGOISTE + EGOISTE PLATINUM/ CHANEL 27
    ROCHAS MAN 26
    DOLCE & GABBANA POUR HOMME 25
    COOL WATER/ DAVIDOFF 24
    CODE BLACK/ ARMANI 23
    DIOR HOMME 22
    HANAE MORI 20
    M7 + M7 FRESH 20
    ENVY/ GUCCI 19
    MUSC RAVAGEUR 19
    ALLURE HOMME SPORT/ CHANEL 18
    A*MEN/ THIERRY MUGLER 18
    CHROME/ AZZARO 18
    JEAN PAUL GAULTIER LE MALE 18
    BLACK AOUD/ MONTALE 17
    PI/ GIVENCHY 14
    ANTAEUS 13
    HAVANA + HAVANA RESERVA/ARAMIS 13
    LÁIR DU DESERT MAROCAIN 13
    OPIUM 13
    THE DREAMER/ VERSACE 13
    BLACK XS 12
    FIERCE 12
    BOIS DU PORTUGAL 11
    LOLITA LEMPICKA 11
    ORIGINAL VETIVER/ CREED 11
    THIERRY MUGLER COLOGNE 11
    BLEECKER STREET/ BOND NO9 10
    CURVE 10
    FUEL FOR LIFE/ DIESEL 10
    GUCCI POUR HOMME 10
    ROSE 31 10
    UNGARO III 10
    BURBERRY BRIT 9
    BURBERRY LONDON 9
    FAHRENHEIT 9
    JAIPUR 9
    L´INSTANT POUR HOMME 9
    MICHAEL KORS FOR MEN 9
    REACTION/ KENNETH COLE 9
    BULGARI AQUA 8
    BOSS BOTTLED 8
    BULGARI EXTREME 8
    EQUIPAGE/ HERMES 8
    GUERLAIN VETIVER 8
    BOSS / HUGO BOSS 8
    JOHN VARVATOS 8
    STRAIGHT TO HEAVEN 8
    YATAGAN 8
    ANGEL FOR MEN 7
    AZZARO POUR HOMME 7
    BEL AMI/ HERMES 7
    BURBERRY TOUCH 7
    ENCRE NOIR 7
    POLO BLUE 7
    POLO DOUBLE BLACK 7
    UNBOUND 7
    CHERGUI 6
    DIRTY ENGLISH/ JUICY COUTURE 6
    ETERNITY 6
    GIER 6
    HIMALAYA/ CREED 6
    JEAN PATOU 6
    JOOP POUR HOMME 6
    LANVIN ´L HOMME 6
    LOEWE SOLO 6
    MUSK KUBLAIN KHAN 6
    MURE ET MUSK 6
    OLD SPICE 6
    PARIS HILTON FOR MEN 6
    VERY SEXY/ VICTORIAS SECRET 6
    XERIOUS ROUGE 6
    AMBRE SULTAN/ SERGE LUTEN 5
    AQUA DI PARMA 5
    BULGARI BLACK 5
    BOGART POUR HOMME 5
    CARNAL FLOWER 5
    DOLCE & GABBANA BY 5
    DUNHILL EDITION 5
    HABIT ROUGE 5
    LIVE JAZZ 5
    OBSESSION 5
    ORIGINAL SANTAL 5
    PENHALIGON CASTILE 5
    PURPLE LABEL 5
    RIVERSIDE DRIVE 5
    TOBACCO VANILLE/ TOM FORD 5
    TUSCANY/ ARAMIS 5
    VERY IRRESISTABLE/ GIVENCHY 5
    WALL STREET/ BOND NO 9 5
    Great work Jonte!! Thanks
    I notice that Angel for men (7 votes) and A*men (18 votes) are listed separately. Its the same dog with different name (licence problem), so A*men should have 25 votes (12th place).

  23. #1943

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    751

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I disagree with you guys saying girls don't know the fragrances. You're not giving them enough credit. Most girls I know could tell you is a dude was wearing JPG, it's popularity has died down a bit, but EVERYONE was wearing it not too long ago. And here's a shocker for you all, contrary to what you may think most girls AND guys will mix up ANYTHING fresh. It doesn't matter what it is, ADG, Allure Sport, any of the Versaces, they are all in a category of designer fragrance that is almost interchangeable and whose sillage will most often be associated with Aqua di Gio whether it is or not. I don't know what girls you guys know, but the ones I know generally go to the store and sniff as much as possible when looking for a scent for their boyfriend, so they're more familiar with fragrances than you think.
    lol so because they know Le Male and Aqua di Gio, theyre familiar with frags?

    just face it, most girls just like the smell or not, they dont know shit about the actual product

  24. #1944
    mtgprox05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    5,255

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Young Dro View Post
    lol so because they know Le Male and Aqua di Gio, theyre familiar with frags?

    just face it, most girls just like the smell or not, they dont know shit about the actual product
    Dro, I can't give you actual examples, but the girls I know when they go shopping, smell the whole place through. So when they smell something they know, they're like oh your wearing Burberry aren't you? I just think I'd like to give them more credit than being able to identify solely ADG.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

    Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

  25. #1945

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    751

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Dro, I can't give you actual examples, but the girls I know when they go shopping, smell the whole place through. So when they smell something they know, they're like oh your wearing Burberry aren't you? I just think I'd like to give them more credit than being able to identify solely ADG.
    Same story for Burberry and all those other scents they get bomberded with, now I understand what you are trying to say but Im sure (atleast here) if a girl would smell you she would just say ''oh you smell good'', and i think thats what Sokkou was trying to say. I doubt one would actually say something in the lines of ''Oh Un Jardin sur le Nil smells go good on you''

  26. #1946

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Guys, Guys, if you're seriously following this thread here are some more pointers for you...

    It's about who you are, and how you live your life...

    If your frag gets a comment, great start, you should be able to kick off a brief conversation about frags from that. If you know what she's wearing you're 1 in 100 in her mind already...

    Learn to dance.

    Learn to communicate with women in 'women's language' Googling 'Mystery', 'David de Angelo', 'Ross Jefferies' should give you a start. In spite of their obvious marketing angle the skills they impart are of universal use.

    HTH

    p.s. I'm 50 next birthday, just wish I knew all this stuff 30 years ago, but the internet wasn't invented then

  27. #1947

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Metalica77 View Post
    As i understand, the top is green but and the drydown is supposed to be like a tea smell?
    Issay=Flowery and 212=Green/Tea but issay last all day? how does 212
    212 Men survived 24 hours and a shower on my skin. (The same skin that makes Rive Gauche smell like baby powder in an hour)

  28. #1948

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Wear something that reeks and then you'll know she likes you for you. Yeah!
    ***For sale:

    Iris Pallida 50ml

    Ungaro I 75ml

    and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

  29. #1949

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    about to go to a party, le male or john varvatos?

  30. #1950
    Zgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    3,906

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    +1 CK Obsession for men wich overshadoved my friends Hugo Boss by far. We were in the club, but I myself could feel that sweet cinnamon aura on me all the time, so could those around me...
    Last edited by Zgb; 24th January 2010 at 09:31 AM.

Page 65 of 263 FirstFirst ... 15 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 115 165 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Which scent gets you NO female compliments?
    By fjord in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 95
    Last Post: 8th April 2016, 04:47 PM
  2. What do you really think of female compliments?
    By sharilstuff in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 15th August 2015, 10:22 PM
  3. Most female compliments for a Niche Fragrance?
    By jcepiano in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 3rd December 2014, 04:18 AM
  4. Which male fragrance gets NO female compliments...
    By Ken_Russell in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th March 2010, 02:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000