Code of Conduct
Page 77 of 104 FirstFirst ... 27 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 ... LastLast
Results 4,561 to 4,620 of 6231

Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

MI got me a few compliments last night, and it was almost 6 hours after application. Not a projection monster but it someone is close enough, it certainly is detectabe..

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    I calculated compliment rate based on the previous tally. This list is about expected number of compliments per year for a fragrance. Total compliments can be misleading because older fragrances will obviously get more compliment count because they have been out on the market longer, when this is adjusted, compliment rate is a better indicator of how often a fragrance gets complimented.

Aventus 66
    La Nuit de L`homme 32
    Green Irish Tweed 16.2
    Bleu de Chanel 15.5
    L`eau D`Issey Pour Homme 14
    A*Men Pure Havane 14
    Terre D`Hermes 12
    Millesime Imperiale 11.1
    Allure Homme Sport 9.8
    Dior Homme 9.3
    Acque di Gio 8.9
    A*Men Pure Malt 8.7
    A*Men 8.3
    Le Male 7.8
    Versace Pour Homme 7.8
    Body Kouros 7.7
    Musc Ravageur 7.6
    Kouros 7.4
    Rive Gauche 7.2
    Silver Mountain Water 7.2
    Armani Code 7.1
    Black Aoud 7
    Envy for Men 6.9
    1 Million 6.8
    Cool Water 6.6
    Dior Homme Intense 6.2
    Allure Homme 5.9
    Rochas Men 5.9
    D&G Pour Homme 5.3
    M7 5.3
    Burberry London 5.2
    Tobacco Vanille 5.2
    Fuel for Life 4.8
    YSL L`Homme 4.3
    Eau Fraiche 4.3
    Chrome 4.2
    Fierce 4.2
    Givenchi Pi 4.2
    Rose 31 4.2
    L`Instant de Guerlain 4.1
    Dirty English 4
    Antaeus 3.8
    Fahrenheit 3.8
    Platinum Egoiste 3.8
    The Dreamer 3.6
    Au Masculin 3.3
    Geir 3.2
    Egoiste 3.1
    H.M. 3.1
    Black X.S. 3.1
    Encre Noire 3
    Gucci Pour Homme II 3
    D&G The One for Men 3

I would like to thank you for your effort you added to the original statistics created by Vellyr who i also thank.
    did you divide the number of compliments Vellyr established in his spreadsheet by the number of years the perfume has been in the market? Or you used more factors into consideration?

thanks

For older fragrances, I divided by the year since this thread was created. For newer ones, I divided by years they have been on the market minus 1 (to control for the fact this year isn't over yet).

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ok.

So, I put on 4 sprays of Aventus before going out yesterday. My friend and I went out to have lunch at a diner. Two hot chicks at the restaurant told me I smelled good and asked what I was wearing. I told them I was wearing Alfred Sung Pour Homme, and they said that they had to get their boyfriend some of that. But after lunch, things got hectic. To keep things short, the police took us both in because he had something that he was not supposed to have in his car to be discreet (completely unbeknownst to me). A few days later, I'm out now, but that was a really crazy week. I spent two nights sleeping in a really small cell, the size of a closet, but anyway.

We were both in the police station, interrogated one by one. He was up first and I anxiously waited for 25 minutes until they called me. A relatively young female officer actually sat me down at a table and started asking me questions. Like 10 minutes later, as a waft of air went through the room she actually stopped what she said to say that I smelled pretty good, especially compared to the usual people who are brought into the building. I told her I was wearing Aventus by Creed. She said she never heard of it, but she wants to buy it for her husband. I asked her if she thought her husband would like it. She told me she hoped so because all her husband wore was that "that Varvatos stuff" and she kept asking him to try new things, but he was stubbornly insistent on wearing that "same damn crap everyday".

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    So, I put on 4 sprays of Aventus before going out yesterday. My friend and I went out to have lunch at a diner. Two hot chicks at the restaurant told me I smelled good and asked what I was wearing. I told them I was wearing Alfred Sung Pour Homme...
    Why would you lie about what you're wearing? Please don't say to keep it a secret, because that'd be a total facepalm, not to mention a jerk move. The price tag and limited availability will keep Aventus from becoming an Acqua Di Gio.

Banned
    Blog Entries

why not give the 2nd greatest fragrance of all time a little boost with the use of the 1st?

and i'm surprised, of all that i've been through, those 2 girls were the highlight of my post...

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Why would you lie about what you're wearing? Please don't say to keep it a secret, because that'd be a total facepalm, not to mention a jerk move. The price tag and limited availability will keep Aventus from becoming an Acqua Di Gio.
    +1

Someone is nice enough to give someone a compliment and their response is to outright lie to them?! What nerve. It's not like Aventus is ever going to become popular. It's far too pricey.

I read a thread a while back where someone did the exact same thing except he said he was wearing Acqua di Gio. The woman was asking because she wanted to buy it for her boyfriend. She probably wasted $60 over it. The guy seemed really proud of himself too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

all i did was save her $250 dollars and help her add an amazing fragrance in her boyfriend's collection.

also, nobody cares that a female police officer INTERROGATING me, getting close to me and asking what i was wearing?

all i did was save her $250 dollars and help her add an amazing fragrance in her boyfriend's collection.

also, nobody cares that a female police officer INTERROGATING me, getting close to me and asking what i was wearing?

was she hot?

Banned
    Blog Entries

she was young. like in her late 20's maybe. so yeah.

Still, it sure is rude. You're making all kinds of assumptions about her. For all you know, she may google what you told her and blind buy it. Or she may search to find it in a store, smell it and then realize she was lied to.

That part of your story was kind of confusing. You said you wore Aventus yesterday and got arrested, but then you said "A few days later, I'm out now" ...a few days later than yesterday is still in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    +1

Someone is nice enough to give someone a compliment and their response is to outright lie to them?! What nerve. It's not like Aventus is ever going to become popular. It's far too pricey.

I read a thread a while back where someone did the exact same thing except he said he was wearing Acqua di Gio. The woman was asking because she wanted to buy it for her boyfriend. She probably wasted $60 over it. The guy seemed really proud of himself too.
    Exactly.

No offense, noir, but you wouldn't have even have heard of Aventus if someone else hadn't told you about it. Granted, it was probably someone online, but the point is still valid. I get that you're young, and it may seem clever, but it's mean spirited.

Life is a team sport.

- - - Updated - - -

And now, to get back to the point of this thread: Compliments...

Hanae Mori, HiM (their new EdT). I'm not sure if I'm going to buy this one, but I'm thinking about it. And getting a compliment from a stranger (a woman) while riding the train home sure was nice.

i think its a great story noirdrakkar but how did the scent stay on you for 2 days. And why didn't you tell the female cop you were wearing Sung Pour Homme also? lol. I think its fine to tell people youre wearing a different scent then you really are it depends on the context. Maybe the girls perturbed noirdrakkar in some way that made him want to mislead them in spite of them being "hot" On my college campus, i would probably only tell people I know what I'm really wearing and maybe 20% of strangers. To the rest of them I'll say "dirty English," which I hate. I have no obligation to do otherwise as they are total strangers.

Banned
    Blog Entries

no, the interrogation happened right when we got in. then i had to sit in the cell for two days. even the dude from the cell away was sayin that "smells pretty good in here today". great longevity. the 2nd day i woke up, i still smelt a little on me.

also, i didnt wanna tell the cop i was wearing the undeniably great Sung Homme, becuase she was trained in interrogation for years probably. she would have known right away i was lying.

Trollololol

LOL! I guess it just seemed like yesterday.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anewtypedude View Post
    Trollololol
    lololololololooooooooooool

@noirdrakkar: Alfred Sung Cologne is the 2nd best fragrance of all time? Never heard of it before you can give us some insight.

Another plus for Aventus. I walked to coffee shop in the hot sticky balmy weather and picked up a couple pastries and drinks. Upon return to office I walked to friends cubicle to deliver her goods and passed by group of ladies. They stopped me and noted how they enjoyed the scent. I was really surprised that the Aventus was still noticeable through the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by baldheadjim View Post
    Another plus for Aventus. I walked to coffee shop in the hot sticky balmy weather and picked up a couple pastries and drinks. Upon return to office I walked to friends cubicle to deliver her goods and passed by group of ladies. They stopped me and noted how they enjoyed the scent. I was really surprised that the Aventus was still noticeable through the heat.
    You have a winner there, Jim!

I wore Amouage's Jubilation XXV to a large social event last night that garnered me with at least 7 compliments!! When I first applied it I got a "meh" feeling about it until I let it dry down a bit and then WOW it took off.

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    I wore Amouage's Jubilation XXV to a large social event last night that garnered me with at least 7 compliments!! When I first applied it I got a "meh" feeling about it until I let it dry down a bit and then WOW it took off.
    Nice!

I jumped on a split here and landed 20ml for a lovely $67. My heart quickens with anticipation.

[QUOTE=L'Homme Blanc Individuel;2678819]Still, it sure is rude. You're making all kinds of assumptions about her. For all you know, she may google what you told her and blind buy it. Or she may search to find it in a store, smell it and then realize she was lied to. [Quote]

I agree. Maybe she could afford the $$..shame on you

Banned
    Blog Entries

In all seriousness, don't interpret this chart of compliments as an actual guide on what you should wear if you want to receive compliments.

Keep in mind several things:

1. This doesn't include negative reactions. For example, if a person wears a fragrance that gets 10 compliments, but has 20 people silently thinking "wow this guy smells bad" without being impolite as to directly saying it.

2. Basenoters wear some fragrances more than others. For example, La Nuit is worn A LOT more by Basenoters than Armani Code. Does it mean if 50 people were to wear La Nuit and 50 people were to wear Armani Code, the former would get more compliments? Not necessarily.

Those are very good points noirdrakkar. Selection bias!

I would say that to get compliments, you have to do enough sprays to have others smell your perfume! If you are a shy type "don't want to offend anyone" like me and only wear 1-2 sprays to work, then it's less likely others will even smell you and therefore can't compliment you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yes, that's true as well. That could very well be the reason that Aventus gets so many compliments, because the wearer can't smell it even though everyone else can. The only way to get compliments, is to offend a lot of people by wearing too much, and being seen as "that cologne guy". And in between those people, you will get a few people saying "wow i have to buy my boyfriend this".

A vote today for Le Labo Rose 31 from a girl at work (who, ironically, is an ex!)

noirdrakkar ??? no response ?

Banned
    Blog Entries

sung is a good cologne. but it wont get an attractive female police officer to ask you what cologne you are wearing DURING THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERROGATION IN A POLICE OFFICE AFTER BEING DETAINED.

sung is a good cologne. but it wont get an attractive female police officer to ask you what cologne you are wearing DURING THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERROGATION IN A POLICE OFFICE AFTER BEING DETAINED.

That could very well be the reason that Aventus gets so many compliments, because the wearer can't smell it even though everyone else can. The only way to get compliments, is to offend a lot of people by wearing too much, and being seen as "that cologne guy".
    You don't have to be Cologne Guy to get compliments. And the idea that Aventus gets compliments because the wearer can't smell it seems... well... I don't understand that at all. Who would spend that much on a scent he can't smell? I can only speak for myself, but I can smell Aventus on my skin for at least 10 hours, and I can still smell it on my shirt the next day. I'm not dismissing the idea of olfactory fatigue though. That's why I rotate different scents through the week (only wearing one a day, of course).

Banned
    Blog Entries

L'Homme Blanc Individuel:

Everyone is different. There are plenty of people who can smell Aventus on themselves. But also, keep in mind, olfactory fatigue is a VERY common experience with a lot of wearers. It depends on who you are. So you may only smell a little Aventus on you, when everyone else smells a lot of it.

The more cologne you apply increases your chance of getting compliments. If you apply only 1 spray of most colognes, only people who get really close to you will smell it, but if you apply 4-6 sprays, everyone will smell you.

And the reaction will be:
    "This guy smells disgusting"
    "Damn, this guy put on way too much cologne"
    "This guy put on a lot of cologne, but he smells okay"
    "WOW. I love how he smells, I have to ask him what he's wearing"

I'm a 2 to 3 spray guy and I get compliments. Yes, someone who wears too much fragrance will get noticed more often, but the idea that the only way to get compliments is to offend a lot of people by wearing too much is bad advice.

The only way to get compliments, is to offend a lot of people by wearing too much, and being seen as "that cologne guy"
    I mention it because this thread is probably one of the most read among new members and members seeking advice on choosing scents that will appeal to women. I know that when I first came to basenotes, it was the first thread I read.

You don't have to wear too much to be noticed for how you smell. You only have to wear too much if you want to be noticed by people far enough away that they shouldn't even be able to notice how you smell, just as you'd have to yell to be heard by people far enough away that they shouldn't be able to hear your conversation.

Back on track:

I got a compliment at Starbucks wearing Versace Eau Fraiche.

As of today:

Jean Patou PH Prive
    Montale Black Oud
    Chanel Coromandel & BdC
    Amouge Jubilation XXV
    La Nuit de L'Homme
    Guerlain Habit Rouge
    PdN New York
    Creed Milleseme Imperial
    Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum
    MPG Ambre Precieux
    L'Instant de Guerlin Extreme

Most compliment's I've ever recieved is from Drakkar Noir (from both men and women). Drakkar Noir got recieved more compliments when I wear it than anything else in my current rotation which includes Dirty English (no compliments), Boss Bottled (3 compliments), Versace The Dreamer (1 compliment), DKNY Men (no compliments), Calvin Klein Obsession for men (no compliments), Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui (no compliments), Givenchy Gentleman (no compliments) Brut 33 (no compliments).

Unfortunately I'm now getting more into aquatics so I'm going off Drakkar a bit, so I'll have to go back to square one in terms of seeing what gets compliments - but hey, I'll just wear what I love (which is Boss Bottled and Acqua Di Gio which is on my wishlist)...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo View Post
    In order of compliments.

1. Givenchy Gentleman
    2. Fahrenheit
    3. Eau de Rochas Homme
    4. One Man Show

cheers,
    Finally! a vote for Givenchy Gentleman! I love thiso ne, not sure why more people dont...

Default Re: Which fragrance gets you the most female compliments?

Quote Originally Posted by shotcaller View Post
    This may have been done before, but I did not find anything on my search. I personally have gotten the most female compliments wearing Creed SMW, but my collection is rather slim. So what has been your experience? Is there one you go to that get's the ladies attention and is not worn by every other guy out there?
    Well, I am a woman and my vote is on Kouros, Jubilation XXV and Habit Rouge.

Got a compliment on Versace Eau Fraiche today

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Acqua Di Gio lol even though it's been on the market for so long and apparently everyone wears it I never fail to get a compliment with it. I personally think compliments are also dependant on how approachable you look and how you present yourself. Just my opinion though

Quote Originally Posted by KSG View Post
    I personally think compliments are also dependant on how approachable you look and how you present yourself.
    I agree. I am 6'7" with broad shoulders and weirdly large hands. Although people that know me call me a gentle giant, very few people approach me!

Millesime Imperial by Creed is good I heard,thou i never happen to used it,I've been stuck with my Boss Collection,Bvlgari Black,It never failed to amuse me hearing a good compliment from women.

Interesting tidbit: At the frag department today there was a group of girls, early 20s, sniffing around the men's shelves. Probably for a gift. After standing there for a good HOUR (okay, I did too, don't judge), they narrowed their choices down to Hugo Boss Just Different, Diesel Fuel For Life and Lacoste Blanc, saying those were for sure the sexiest scents.

"Regular" people must have different tastes than basenotes members
    Last edited by Izzie; 7th September 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Everytime I wear Arboretum I get compliments.
    Basile Uomo, SWM, Ungaro III, Drakkar Noir, Giorgio BH, Krizia Uomo get complimented often.
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

That's easy; Paco Rabanne's 1 Million. They love it so much, I've known girls to buy the male version for themselves!
    <a href="http://www.perfumebargains.com/for-him.html">Men's Fragrances</a>

Got one for S. Double Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by baldheadjim View Post
    I agree. I am 6'7"with broad shoulders and weirdly large hands. Although people that know me call me a gentle giant, very few people approach me!
    Damn, I thought I was tall at 6'5" haha

Polo Double Black made a cute little female co-worker bury her nose into my shirt and say "mmmmm"

That's never a bad thing.. haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by psychoskip View Post
    Got one for S. Double Vanille
    Can't wait for that sample

Quote Originally Posted by 1280adam View Post
    Damn, I thought I was tall at 6'5" haha

Polo Double Black made a cute little female co-worker bury her nose into my shirt and say "mmmmm"

That's never a bad thing.. haha

- - - Updated - - -

Can't wait for that sample

USPS makes me mad sometimes. I dropped off both of your packages at the same time. One in enroute, the other seems stagnant.

Poison by Dior is a good perfume.You can also note Aventus.Thou,Bvalgari black is much more reputable for me.

While Avenuts & Bleecker Street still get me the most compliments, I received many compliments today on L'Air du Desert Marocain! I wasn't expecting it to really be a compliment getter.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

The last compliment I got was while wearing (surprise, surprise) Acqua di Gio. I don't really like the frag, everyone has a bottle already, and it doesn't seem to last very long on my skin, but apparently that didn't stop this girl from saying how much she liked it.

(Interestingly enough, I've never had a compliment while wearing Acqua di Parma, which is my favourite perfume house. I compliment anybody—guy or girl—wearing Colonia or a Colonia flanker.)

A buddy of mine, who never compliments anyone on fragrances just complimented another friend of ours (both guys, not a female compliment). Apparently Hugo Boss Bottled is a compliment getter too.

Banned
    Blog Entries

today i walked into the lenscrafters, wearing nine sprays of Georgio Beverly Hills. the really hot secretary that worked there told me i smelled really good and wanted to know what i was wearing. so one thing led to another and i got her number.

later in the day, i reapplied four more sprays and walked in the mall. needless to say everyone was turning their heads, but i got another phone number from this chick who said it was about time that someone wore something other than "that acqua joe crap". she said i smelt like a real man.

today i walked into the lenscrafters, wearing nine sprays of Georgio Beverly Hills. the really hot secretary that worked there told me i smelled really good and wanted to know what i was wearing. so one thing led to another and i got her number.

later in the day, i reapplied four more sprays and walked in the mall. needless to say everyone was turning their heads, but i got another phone number from this chick who said it was about time that someone wore something other than "that acqua joe crap". she said i smelt like a real man.
    noirdrakkar, every time you post something, my wallet cries a little.

Complimented on A*Men yesterday, and Arabian Wood by Tom Ford Private Blend today. First wearing of Arabian Wood too. Was worried it might be a bit too in your face, but apparently not!

Banned
    Blog Entries

seriously though. dont buy gorgio beverly hills, it smells bad

I've been getting tons of compliments on Sycomore from the gals at work.
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

Quote Originally Posted by vbs View Post
    I've been getting tons of compliments on Sycomore from the gals at work.
    Wore this today as my SOTD. How many sprays did you do and where abouts?

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Wore this today as my SOTD. How many sprays did you do and where abouts?
    2 or 3 sprays to the chest
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N° 2

seriously though. dont buy gorgio beverly hills, it smells bad
    I know, I've had a whiff of it.

Yet another one for BdC from dear wife who "never" compliments my frags. "Mmmm, you smell really goood!" as she leans into my neck after an all day wear. This juice just keeps rackin' them up.

Quorum by Antonio Puig. The female. My male friends (we're not gay, lol) appear to especially love Kenzo pour Homme and Drakkar Noir. The three are perfect, but Quorum has a very special place in my heart. Damn.