Code of Conduct
Page 66 of 107 FirstFirst ... 16 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,960 of 6374
  1. #3901
    Basenotes Junkie BurgundyMarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    744

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    To go back to an earlier post, I am more and more convinced that the indirect and non-verbal response is more significant than an explicit complement on a scent. About a year ago I started work in a much dressier, bespoke suit type of environment. Besides updating my wardrobe, I began, a couple of months ago, to wear a scent every day and usually something pretty classy. The reactions I have been getting since then are lots of smiles, comments like "I really enjoy working with you," and "great job," invitations to lunch. Yesterday someone complemented me on a tie she had seen several times before without mentioning.

    If a woman complemented me directly on a scent I was wearing, I would be inclined to think she was really saying "I want to get that for my boyfriend," or "Wow, you are completely overpowering me with that too sweet perfume," or "I don't like your clothes and hate your hair and don't find you at all attractive and would never, ever, go out with you. But you DO smell nice."

    I'm beginning to realize that fragrance creates an aura with all kinds of associations for people and it probably works best when it slides right under the radar.

  2. #3902

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    generally, do you think women appreciate more "masculine" scents, like antaues kouros ecc, or light/fruity like eau sauvage terre d' hermes ecc?

  3. #3903
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,306
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by klopp View Post
    generally, do you think women appreciate more "masculine" scents, like antaues kouros ecc, or light/fruity like eau sauvage terre d' hermes ecc?
    depends on the woman. hard to generalize that one.

  4. #3904

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by klopp View Post
    generally, do you think women appreciate more "masculine" scents, like antaues kouros ecc, or light/fruity like eau sauvage terre d' hermes ecc?
    Generally its been my experience that more women like the light and fruity scents. That's why Acqua di Gio, Cool Water, etc. are the most popular. Generally speaking again most men buy fragrances that women like, and many women buy their boyfriends or husbands the fragrances they like. That doesn't mean there aren't many women who love darker masculine fragrances. But in the USA women really like lighter, 'clean' scents. They like funkier fragrances in Europe but still their most popular masculines and feminines are light, fresh scents for the most part.

  5. #3905

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Bvlgari Man got me a compliment recently...

    "wow, I love your Arab perfume"

    Not sure what is Arab about it but at least it's a compliment!

  6. #3906

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vellyr View Post
    Hi guys. I tallied your thread.
    Great work ... Thanks for putting everything together.

    From the list, I think La Nuit, Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense will climb up even further.

  7. #3907
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sofyaan View Post
    Bvlgari Man got me a compliment recently...

    "wow, I love your Arab perfume"

    Not sure what is Arab about it but at least it's a compliment!
    Hahaha I love this!

  8. #3908
    Basenotes Junkie BurgundyMarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    744

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I know many women who HATE light, fruity, floral, or feminine scents on men. Others dislike anything dark, moody, complex, or overtly masculine. I think woody Orientals have the broadest appeal, at least on older men. Probably would take another thread to figure out which scents to wear to attract which kind of women. But I think most men who are really into scents wear what pleases themselves for the most part.

  9. #3909

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    ^ On that note...has anybody noticed that Asian ladies don't like Aventus? I've had a few friends who didn't particularly care for Aventus. Coincidentally, FragraceNet has review of Aventus saying the only negative comment they got from it was from an Asian woman.

    On the other hand, all the Hispanic folks I've shown Aventus to love it.

  10. #3910

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Finally got a bottle of Invasion Barbare & while I obviously like it, i can't believe how many compliments it's gotten.
    I've been wearing it all week and there has been at least one compliment each day about how good it is.

  11. #3911

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I'm hispanic and I love Aventus. My wife on the other hand is 100% american blonde and she loves Aventus. It's her favorite in all my collection and all my samples. Coming from a beautiful girl like her, I'm convinced it's an amazing fragrance. Enough for me to have 3 different batches. Oh, I don't buy into the batch thing, Aventus is just an unknown animal that reacts in a different way to your skin depending on so many variables. The reason why out is what it is.
    Love someone today and it will come back to you ten folds

  12. #3912

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    ^ On that note...has anybody noticed that Asian ladies don't like Aventus?
    All my asians friends really like aventus. Even the asians in my class really like it when I put it to class.

  13. #3913

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by coolboy153 View Post
    All my asians friends really like aventus. Even the asians in my class really like it when I put it to class.
    Women or men?

  14. #3914
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,111

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by coolboy153 View Post
    All my asians friends really like aventus. Even the asians in my class really like it when I put it to class.
    I am an asian myself and the girls around me seem to like Aventus. Received a few compliments on it too so I suppose 'taste' is still very subjective
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

  15. #3915

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Finally got a bottle of Invasion Barbare & while I obviously like it, i can't believe how many compliments it's gotten.
    I've been wearing it all week and there has been at least one compliment each day about how good it is.
    ^ The first day I got my bottle, I got 3 unsolicited compliments.
    This is as close to a "holy grail" as I have found. It's worth every penny IMO.

  16. #3916

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    ^ The first day I got my bottle, I got 3 unsolicited compliments.
    This is as close to a "holy grail" as I have found. It's worth every penny IMO.
    IB lists Violet Leaf as a note. I have spent at least 50 bucks in samples simply trying to narrow down a note that I love, which I thought was Violet Leaf. Been disappointed every time.

    It's a sweet, kinda woody green note (not powdery/floral) which I pick up from scents like GIT and Love and Luck when smelled close to the skin. I'll never find out what it is

  17. #3917

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    IB lists Violet Leaf as a note. I have spent at least 50 bucks in samples simply trying to narrow down a note that I love, which I thought was Violet Leaf. Been disappointed every time.

    It's a sweet, kinda woody green note (not powdery/floral) which I pick up from scents like GIT and Love and Luck when smelled close to the skin. I'll never find out what it is
    The note you are looking for may be cardamom? Not sure. It's not listed in GIT's notelist,
    but it is a shared note in Invasion Barbare and Love and Luck.

  18. #3918

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    The note you are looking for may be cardamom? Not sure. It's not listed in GIT's notelist,
    but it is a shared note in Invasion Barbare and Love and Luck.
    Not sure. From descriptions, cardamom seems more like a spice. This smell I'm after smells like it comes from a green plant's crushed stems or leaves with sweet, green sap inside. Very bright, light, piercing, green and sweet.

    Based on previous topics I and others have created looking for this scent, it seems people generally pointed to violet leaf. They suggested Grey Flannel and Fahrenheit But I still have yet to encounter this exact smell again.

    The day I find out this exact ingredient will be a great day!

  19. #3919
    Basenotes Plus
    indianwells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pembrokeshire
    Posts
    909

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I was complimented yesterday on Chanel Sycomore. It was another guy but welcome nevertheless.

  20. #3920

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Chalk another one down for Aventus! She seemed interesed in finding out about it until I told her what it cost!

  21. #3921

    Default Re: Which fragrance gets you the most female compliments?

    I tend to find that women like the more feminine biased scents on men. I only say this sweeping generalisation because of the consderable reaction by women I know and ones that I don't to Andy Tauer's Orange Star and Lutens' Cedre. Another feminine botherer is Scent Intense by Costume National.

  22. #3922

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    ^ The first day I got my bottle, I got 3 unsolicited compliments. It's worth every penny IMO.
    yes sir, i wholeheartedly agree

  23. #3923

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    To go back to an earlier post, I am more and more convinced that the indirect and non-verbal response is more significant than an explicit complement on a scent. About a year ago I started work in a much dressier, bespoke suit type of environment. Besides updating my wardrobe, I began, a couple of months ago, to wear a scent every day and usually something pretty classy. The reactions I have been getting since then are lots of smiles, comments like "I really enjoy working with you," and "great job," invitations to lunch. Yesterday someone complemented me on a tie she had seen several times before without mentioning.

    If a woman complemented me directly on a scent I was wearing, I would be inclined to think she was really saying "I want to get that for my boyfriend," or "Wow, you are completely overpowering me with that too sweet perfume," or "I don't like your clothes and hate your hair and don't find you at all attractive and would never, ever, go out with you. But you DO smell nice."

    I'm beginning to realize that fragrance creates an aura with all kinds of associations for people and it probably works best when it slides right under the radar.
    I completely agree man. I think it's all about subtlely and like you say, being under the radar. That's why I genuinely try to buy frags for myself and not in an attempt to get other people to notice (or at least that's what I tell myself). I think the problem then, is that we don't know if other people's reactions can be attributed to fragrance. Maybe people are being nice to you simply because you're a nice guy and you're good at your job, and not because of the scent you're wearing? It's hard to tell.

  24. #3924

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    Not sure. From descriptions, cardamom seems more like a spice. This smell I'm after smells like it comes from a green plant's crushed stems or leaves with sweet, green sap inside. Very bright, light, piercing, green and sweet.

    Based on previous topics I and others have created looking for this scent, it seems people generally pointed to violet leaf. They suggested Grey Flannel and Fahrenheit But I still have yet to encounter this exact smell again.

    The day I find out this exact ingredient will be a great day!
    I've been down a similar road, and I think I was chasing my tail a bit. It would be nice if we could nail down what we like to a single note, but more often than not it's an accord that would be hard to replicate in terms of quantity/quality/balance/source of ingredients.

  25. #3925
    Basenotes Junkie BurgundyMarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    744

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Well, yes, probably I am a nice guy and I am pretty good at my job. But I was at this job eight or nine months smelling like Old Spice Pure Sport and, though people were well disposed to me, I didn't get these direct comments. Then I started smelling like Guerlain Vetiver, GIT, etc., and I did. It was enough of a difference that I noticed it.

    Then I tested Tom Ford for Men one day and strange women started coming up to me in town and striking up a conversation. Not that I am unattractive, but this never happens to me. It was weird.

    Anyway, it was an interesting before and after test. It may well be that people have these reactions to me anyhow, but feel more confident expressing them with the scent around. Who knows? Now that I am wearing a scent everyday, I notice that they definitely seem to affect my mood. So it is not unreasonable to think they affect others around me as well.

    I would, however, be a bit uncomfortable if someone complemented me specifically on my scent. If they named it, I would be quite a bit uncomfortable. It would suggest that there was some difference or even a clash between me and my scent whereas I am hoping for a perfect fusion.

  26. #3926
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Aichi, Japan
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    My 9-year-old student told me that I smelled like China yesterday. When pressed further, he explained that I smelled like some candy his dad had brought back from a trip there. Then he asked me if I was Chinese (no, I'm as white as it gets). Compliment? L'eau D'issey.

  27. #3927

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Late yesterday my half a dozen or so samples came from Luckyscent. I had done my research and included along with the others, a couple of scents that have always held my intrigue: Invasion Barbare and Alexa Lixfeld 003. Right away, I had my paper strips ready for the first application of each of the six samples. What amazed me was that even though I had pegged IB as one of the less stellar entrants in my blind test. This stuff, at which time, identity still unknown, was the clear winner. I doublechecked and there it was MDCI Invasion Barbare.
    Now move onto nightime and my gf is working late on a project. I move my arm past her and she compliments me on how good I smell.........Next day as I lay down to take a nap after work and before we go out, my gf came in close to me and says " you know your cologne is making me horny" ....This is the first time she has said something so approvingly of any of the many fragrances in my collection....Oh and btw, we did make dinner on time .......

  28. #3928
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    75% New York, 25% Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    191

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vellyr View Post
    This was originally intended as a personal project, so a few scents are conspicuously absent. Namely Bulgari Black, Gucci Envy, and Chanel Egoiste because I've tested them and decided they're not for me. Also L'eau D'Issey and Burberry Brit because I own them. Furthermore, tried to omit scents that are widely regarded as "Old man" scents or are famous for giving the "cigars and whiskey" vibe because that's not me.
    Would be good to see this with the frags in that you took out, to make it meaningful to the rest of us. It seems a shame that you put in so much hard work to make it 100% relevant to you, but only somewhat interesting to us.

    Brilliant idea though.

  29. #3929
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,111

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    Well, yes, probably I am a nice guy and I am pretty good at my job. But I was at this job eight or nine months smelling like Old Spice Pure Sport and, though people were well disposed to me, I didn't get these direct comments. Then I started smelling like Guerlain Vetiver, GIT, etc., and I did. It was enough of a difference that I noticed it.

    Then I tested Tom Ford for Men one day and strange women started coming up to me in town and striking up a conversation. Not that I am unattractive, but this never happens to me. It was weird.

    Anyway, it was an interesting before and after test. It may well be that people have these reactions to me anyhow, but feel more confident expressing them with the scent around. Who knows? Now that I am wearing a scent everyday, I notice that they definitely seem to affect my mood. So it is not unreasonable to think they affect others around me as well.

    I would, however, be a bit uncomfortable if someone complemented me specifically on my scent. If they named it, I would be quite a bit uncomfortable. It would suggest that there was some difference or even a clash between me and my scent whereas I am hoping for a perfect fusion.
    I totally agree with you on this. I think sometimes a fragrance can make you much more confident and it does affects your mood. And if style can leave an impression, im sure smell will too
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

  30. #3930

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by teemas View Post
    I totally agree with you on this. I think sometimes a fragrance can make you much more confident and it does affects your mood. And if style can leave an impression, im sure smell will too
    +1. So true that it may not be the actual fragrance that draws the compliments but the positive effect it has on the actual wearer. Some scents just make you feel confident and comfortable in any environment. While other fragrances will bring on reactions ranging from mild distaste to outright revulsion. The trick is to find the one's that just do their business well and then let you do the talking.

  31. #3931

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by stanmar View Post
    +1. So true that it may not be the actual fragrance that draws the compliments but the positive effect it has on the actual wearer. Some scents just make you feel confident and comfortable in any environment. While other fragrances will bring on reactions ranging from mild distaste to outright revulsion. The trick is to find the one's that just do their business well and then let you do the talking.
    Agreed lol. Even if some advanced science proved to me that wearing fragrances has no effect whatsoever except as a placebo to make me feel more confident, that'd still be awesome and fine by me.

  32. #3932
    Basenotes Junkie BurgundyMarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    744

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I find the mood effect can be quite strong. Some scents are, for me, "joy in a bottle." And the effects of different scents can be very different, at least on me.

    I've never heard of any scientific research into the effects, though I imagine there must be some. There were several popular novels in the 1980s that dealt with arcane aspects of perfumery but I don't remember they discussed this earlier. Even the perfume company advertising seems to draw only and rather monotonously on the power of scents to attract the opposite sex.

  33. #3933

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I gave myself a pretty good compliment wearing Spicebomb tonight. I can imagine many more will share my sentiments

  34. #3934

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Armani Code - gets more male compliments than female compliments in my experience
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin - this has got the most by a long way (in number of days worn to compliment ratio)
    Last edited by ed_r; 26th February 2012 at 04:05 PM.

  35. #3935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed_r View Post
    Armani Code - gets more male compliments than female compliments in my experience
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin - this has got the most by a long way
    I think you be right there, regarding the code


    Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk

  36. #3936

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Happy for men, by Clinique

    every time I wear it

  37. #3937

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    ehhh hate to be another +1 but....Aventus. The damn girl wouldnt shut up on a date about how "good I smell"....it actually got annoying at a certain point or maybe she was just annoying throughout....either way. +1 .....i usually mix stuff up to make it more interesting for me but this time wore just Aventus on its own like 6 sprays in the freezing weather.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

    My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

  38. #3938

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I tried so many fragrances in the past but I was never happy with them for differents reasons (longevity, silage, compliments, etc..) until I discover Aventus. Now I stopped searching for THE fragrance and I fiind it!! Aventus is awesome!! People get crazy when I wear it. Womens and mens. Aventus is the fragrance's god!

  39. #3939

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsYcHo View Post
    I tried so many fragrances in the past but I was never happy with them for differents reasons (longevity, silage, compliments, etc..) until I discover Aventus. Now I stopped searching for THE fragrance and I fiind it!! Aventus is awesome!! People get crazy when I wear it. Womens and mens. Aventus is the fragrance's god!
    Wow no need to take it that far...
    I dont know why but I get fed up with the same fragrance for too long. Have to change between different ones from time to time and you know sometimes i even feel sick from some.

    Does this happen to this aventus?

    Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk

  40. #3940

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    One more for Dior Homme.

  41. #3941

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by krazybone View Post
    Wow no need to take it that far...
    I dont know why but I get fed up with the same fragrance for too long. Have to change between different ones from time to time and you know sometimes i even feel sick from some.

    Does this happen to this aventus?


    Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk
    Aventus is the only one that I never got tired, bored and sick to use after many times. I never used the same fragrance for more than 6 months, except for aventus. Don't know why but its that good..... For me.

  42. #3942

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Hope you will go on to share.

  43. #3943
    Dependent CHSeifert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    1,944

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoasua123 View Post
    I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Hope you will go on to share.
    ?????????
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

  44. #3944

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    ?????????
    Signature spam.

  45. #3945

    Cool Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Accidentally or rather not, my most preferred fragrances that provide me a great and 'selfish' pleasure to wear them (like Cacharel Nemo, Azzaro Visit, Davidoff Zino, Gucci PH I, VC&A Zanzibar...and recently Escada Magnetism, Terre d'Hermes, Aigner Black PH, Dirty English...etc, etc) got me in time the most compliments from the fair.
    It has to do at least with self-trusting or the confidence 'aura' you somehow 'project' around you when you just feel good (in your own skin).
    Of course, this state of mind is depending on a lot of others factors, but basically when you feel good/confident you gather around yourself positive energies that somehow drawn people towards you. Hope it doesn't sound too complicated cause it's not.
    "I love fragrances because they provide a sheer endless variety: there is a scent for every occasion, mood or feeling. Standing before my collection in the morning matching a perfume to my needs is one of the most enjoyable things in my day"...I don't want to miss that...

    Current Top 12 Winter: | T.Mugler A*Men TOF | Davidoff Zino |
    Escada Magnetism | V&R Antidote | T.Mugler A*Men PureMalt | Hermes Rocabar | Prada Amber Intense | Versace Man | Reminiscence Noir | Donna Karan DK Fuel | Kenzo Jungle | Valentino V Homme |

  46. #3946

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by showgoeson View Post
    One more for Dior Homme.
    Reformulation or Vintage? Both are great IMO

  47. #3947
    Basenotes Junkie BurgundyMarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    744

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    It would be interesting to do another string on fragrances women hate. From what I hear, men like a lot of fragrances that their wives or girlfriends just can't stand. These seem to be strong, masculine, aggressive scents and "men's clubs" scents for the most part. I've seen comments like "My girlfriend said she would leave me if I wear this scent again so I have to wear it when she's not around."

    Younger women, in particular, seem to like more feminine, inoffensive scents on men.

  48. #3948

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    It would be interesting to do another string on fragrances women hate.
    Good idea...

  49. #3949

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    yep good idea.

  50. #3950

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Any opinions on Dior Homme (reformulation - non intense)...

  51. #3951
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,111

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by _puRe View Post
    Any opinions on Dior Homme (reformulation - non intense)...
    still a masterpiece worth owning simply one of the best around!
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

  52. #3952

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I dont wear fragrances for others I wear them for myself. Use them for an extension of your personality that day. Who cares what other people think.

    The subjectivity of this topic is a little ridiculous as all people have different tastes. A person (and in this thread a Female) have so many different background factors that can affect such a subjective topic of what is an appealing scent. I find it funny too that people point out that an "attractive" female said something. Does an un-attractive girl not matter? Does an attractive girl have a different olfactory center than a non attractive girl.

    You can even make safe assumptions that the best compliment getter is what's being pushed up peoples noses and due to advertising are told what is appealing. The huge push from SA's behind counters or advertisements with half naked people. Its a fragrance, not a swimsuit advert. Having a half naked dude tells me nothing about a fragrance, why not just have pictures of its notes?!?

  53. #3953

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    ehhh hate to be another +1 but....Aventus. The damn girl wouldnt shut up on a date about how "good I smell"....it actually got annoying at a certain point or maybe she was just annoying throughout....either way. +1 .....i usually mix stuff up to make it more interesting for me but this time wore just Aventus on its own like 6 sprays in the freezing weather.
    Did she have the crazy eyes?

  54. #3954

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    If a woman complemented me directly on a scent I was wearing, I would be inclined to think she was really saying "I want to get that for my boyfriend," or "Wow, you are completely overpowering me with that too sweet perfume," or "I don't like your clothes and hate your hair and don't find you at all attractive and would never, ever, go out with you. But you DO smell nice."
    I think that is a very astute observation. I think it's funny when people criticize a scent because they don't get verbal feedback directly on it. I always think to myself: that's probably the only decent fragrance you've ever worn.

  55. #3955
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Quote Originally Posted by PsYcHo View Post
    Aventus is the only one that I never got tired, bored and sick to use after many times. I never used the same fragrance for more than 6 months, except for aventus. Don't know why but its that good..... For me.
    I feel the same, its quite a fragrance.

  56. #3956
    Basenotes Junkie BurgundyMarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    744

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I do care somewhat what other people think. After all, a scent you don't like can be very annoying and difficult to get away from in many situations (doctor's waiting room, slow elevator ride, bus, classroom, office meeting). I tend to wear the riskier ones when I am not going to be around strangers for a protracted period of time.

    I still think there is a certain form to these things. For example, I would say in public a man's scent should never project more than four or five feet, i.e., to your dinner companion but not so far as the next table. It's just common courtesy, like not talking too loud, smoking, or leaving your cell phone on.

    Similarly, it seems mildly impolite to comment on someone's scent more than once. Multiple times seems rude and boorish, like something out of Seinfeld.

  57. #3957
    Basenotes Junkie BurgundyMarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    744

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?


  58. #3958
    Basenotes Member Caskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    I just remembered the sheer amount of compliments I used to get with Paco Rabanne Black XS, an absolute ton of them. Think it may be time to start using it again.

    Also, the new Black XS L'exces is alright too. Smells just like the original but with a good dose of fresh pineapple on top. Bottle is quite nice too.

  59. #3959

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    Gucci Nobile gets a very positive reaction from women. Always has. Too bad I have to use it sparingly these days as I have only a small number of sealed bottles left.

  60. #3960
    Super Member RiveGaucheInstead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Austin, Texas. Rabat, Morocco. Athens, Greece. Islamabad, Pakistan.
    Posts
    106
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

    So a few years ago when I decided to throw out my cousin's nasty Polo cologne, I took him shopping for a replacement and we agreed on Azzaro's Chrome. That very month, he had gotten at least 4 compliments from girls at various parties or places he'd gone and he hasn't stopped thanking me yet. Personally, I'm over Chrome and much more into his YSL L'Homme.

    That said, one that turned my head was a Dunhill cologne...whose name I can't remember. But when I got it for someone else, it just didn't smell the same as it had on the original guy.

Similar Threads

  1. Most female compliments for a Niche Fragrance?
    By jcepiano in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 3rd December 2014, 05:18 AM
  2. What do you really think of female compliments?
    By sharilstuff in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 2nd October 2012, 01:27 AM
  3. Which male fragrance gets NO female compliments...
    By Ken_Russell in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th March 2010, 03:42 PM
  4. Which scent gets you NO female compliments?
    By fjord in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 13th February 2010, 12:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000