Code of Conduct
Page 82 of 102 FirstFirst ... 32 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,920 of 6085
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

OMG! Look what you've started w/ your Aventus stories , Noirdrakkar. You've created a monster. Maybe there should be another thread started about amazingly "true" Aventus stories. Amusing to say the least.

I think some of us are just poking fun at the silliness of the hype.

Getting the thread back on track:
    Lalique White. I got a compliment on this one over lunch today. It was from a friend, so I take it with a grain of salt, but still, it's nice.

Lalique White is a really interesting scent. It starts out REALLY peppery. Too peppery for my tastes, but after 15 minutes or so, it becomes a really fresh, clean scent before eventually (and somewhat surprisingly) evolves into woods. Because of the opening, I don't know if I'd buy this one... but I'm enjoying the sample. It seems to be a people-pleaser with some character, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who loves fresh scents and pepper.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Bois de Portugal is sexier than Aventus, IMO...own them both... feedback was better with BdP!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think some of us are just poking fun at the silliness of the hype.

Getting the thread back on track:
    Lalique White. I got a compliment on this one over lunch today. It was from a friend, so I take it with a grain of salt, but still, it's nice.

Lalique White is a really interesting scent. It starts out REALLY peppery. Too peppery for my tastes, but after 15 minutes or so, it becomes a really fresh, clean scent before eventually (and somewhat surprisingly) evolves into woods. Because of the opening, I don't know if I'd buy this one... but I'm enjoying the sample. It seems to be a people-pleaser with some character, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who loves fresh scents and pepper.
    Lalique white is wonderful but lasts nothing on me, have to use one fifth of the bottle!

Default Re: Which scent get's you the most female complime

someone made a spreadsheet of all the tallies in this thread, didn't they? link? maybe it could be edited into the OP of the thread for convenience?

Quote Originally Posted by torontobluered View Post
    someone made a spreadsheet of all the tallies in this thread, didn't they? link? maybe it could be edited into the OP of the thread for convenience?
    yes I have the link

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...yNk5fLWc#gid=0

and it's updated until post #4323

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/212...=1#post2596738

I've wanted to update it but takes some time

Thank you for providing the spread sheet! Looks great! I have yet to try Aventus and my interest is quite piqued but it may be too expensive as a Christmas gift. What to do...

Received my first compliment today. I walked by a lady...she stopped and said, "Ooh, you smell nice. What are you wearing?"

It was Tom Ford for Men Extreme.

To be fair........the lady was my grandma
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"Sometimes we need to suffer just so we can look at our lives and know we're for real" - Francis Chan

Quote Originally Posted by Teach13 View Post
    Received my first compliment today. I walked by a lady...she stopped and said, "Ooh, you smell nice. What are you wearing?"

It was Tom Ford for Men Extreme.

To be fair........the lady was my grandma

don't worry most of my compliments are from my sister and my mother

From my collection..

YSL L'homme got me the most compliments so far.... 4 women at work at 4 different occasions....

Got one at the weekend from my cousin.... "oooh you smell nice!". Aventus... lightly applied I might add. I don't get that many from this one, but then again I don't wear it all that much.

Over the last 5 years, the only show stoppers I've had are the original Terre d'Hermes and Aventus. They would actually bring compliments from strangers, a rare feat in my experience.

Is there one you go to that get's the ladies attention and is not worn by every other guy out there?

1 aventus
    2 dhi
    3 1 million
    My Top 3 Scent
    1 Aventus
    2 Dior homme intense (Vintage)
    3 L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme L'Eau Extrême

I have had quite a few namey fragrances, from armani to boss to ysl. Tho as wierd as it may sound but not even joking the most compliments i ever got was for the white diesel ++. Wierd huh? but so many girls mentioned it i couldnt not keep wearing it, tho i didnt think it was the best one i had.

- - - Updated - - -

I have had quite a few namey fragrances, from armani to boss to ysl. Tho as wierd as it may sound but not even joking the most compliments i ever got was for the white diesel ++. Wierd huh? but so many girls mentioned it i couldnt not keep wearing it, tho i didnt think it was the best one i had.

akenep

A roll of $100 bills wrapped around a bottle of Old Spice

I may be wrong, but I think 'Aqua Di Gio' receives lots of compliments, or at least it used to.

I remember my friend used to wear it and whenever we would go out to a lounge or a bar, I remember him receiving compliments for his frag. I never read anything about it, but it was all I kept hearing 7 or 6 years ago. So I am surprised Aqua Di Gio hasn't been getting a lot of it on the forums! But again maybe I'm wrong.

The most notable compliment I've received was for a cologne made by Amouage a few years ago. I don't remember the specific name, I only had some it (The original bottle was transparent with an ivory-color cap. I don't see it on the website) The girl called me a day later and told me that she enjoyed it, and could still smell it in the car. I personally never came to love it... it was way to strong for my taste, but I am planning to have a look at their current line up.

For me the most recent one was Mont Blanc Legend!

Quote Originally Posted by freshvibes View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think 'Aqua Di Gio' receives lots of compliments, or at least it used to.
    Most people here know ADG is a top compliment getter. Its the best selling cologne in the world for a reason. Most people here tend to avoid it because there are more options and because ADG is too popular for its own good (people know you are wearing ADG, ladies think it smells like their ex, etc...).

I was in the grocery store Wednesday and this lady was walking behind me, talking on her cell phone. She was telling someone, "This guy smells REALLY good. I don't know what he's wearing, but wow he smells good."

It was Polo.

I get a lot of compliments with Polo.

Drakkar Noir

Even after 30 years, women still love it.

This is going to sound painfully familiar to most of you, but Aventus.

This is actually a big deal for me because I'm usually very quiet and out-of-the-way, I never wear "loud" fragrances, and I never spray more than 3 sprays of anything (and usually not more than 2). Basically, very few people can even tell that I'm wearing a fragrance. I supposed this is reflected in the fact that I've gotten a grand total of 3 fragrance compliments in my entire life.

But the fourth one was yesterday! I was wearing Aventus and my hairdresser gave me a compliment. I know she wasn't just doing it to be nice because I've worn other, more powerful things to the barber shop and she hasn't mentioned them.

Strangely, it's Old Spice. When I wear some of the original 80's stuff that I still have, several people have commented how pleasant and different it is, which is ironic, given how ubiquitous it is...

Dior Fahrenheit Absolute.

aventus king
    Last edited by socalwoman; 27th November 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: rule 2.7 nsfw

Got a great compliment from a female coworker.
    +1 Body Kouros.

akenep

I bet if Carrot Top wore Aventus the girls would stay a mile away. Aventus is not all that great.

Either you have game or you don't.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which fragrance gets you the most female compliments?

Whenever I wear Legend by Montblanc, I get a LOT of attention from the opposite sex. Almost like in an Axe (Lynx) commercial. It's like they just want to hang around sniffing at me!!

- - - Updated - - -

Me too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by karlochacon View Post
    yes I have the link

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...yNk5fLWc#gid=0

and it's updated until post #4323

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/212...=1#post2596738

I've wanted to update it but takes some time
    I could kiss you!

If you were wearing Aventus that is..

(no homo)

Basenotes Plus

It's odd. The last compliments I've gotten have been while wearing fragrances I'm not too fond of.

One was for Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (made in Germany version, not the lovely vintage Italian) and the other for Lacoste Pour Homme (my quick i'm-in-a-hurry-and-don't-want-to-think-what-to-spray-on fragrance).

+1 for Hanae Mori H.M. (not to be confused with their new HiM). I thought H.M. might be too sweet, but boy did my date love it on me. I got one of the most enthusiastic unsolicited compliments I've received in a LONG time.

Really, I shouldn't worry about H.M. being too sweet since it's nowhere near as sweet as things like 1 Million or Guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by Figuier View Post
    Strangely, it's Old Spice. When I wear some of the original 80's stuff that I still have, several people have commented how pleasant and different it is, which is ironic, given how ubiquitous it is...
    Not strange at all actually. The stuff is classic, and it's making a resurgence thanks to those brilliant ads. It's interesting to think it dates back to the 1930s. I wonder how much the smell has changed through the decades.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    It's odd. The last compliments I've gotten have been while wearing fragrances I'm not too fond of.
    I bet that happens to a lot of us. I rarely get complimented on my favorites... but that frigging $15 bottle of Curve is a sure thing. Go figure. Granted, I really like Curve (and have no problem admitting it), but I'd be thrilled if Gucci Pour Homme got me compliments like that! I do get compliments on Aventus, but they're never as enthusiastic as the compliments I get when wearing Hanae Mori which I picked up for around $30.

My wife climbed into bed the other night. Breathily she said 'Mmmmmmmmm. Have you got your Creed on?' No! Excite by Lynx/Axe! Lol! Why do we bother spending a fortune on fine fragrances????

Lately its been ETIENNE AIGNER STATEMENT

Basenotes Member

a point for King Kouros vintage! a woman in her 50s was all over my Kouros.
    My top ten: Jubilation XXV, Memoir Man, Egoiste, Aventus, Royal Oud, Amber Absolute, Kouros, Musc Ravageur, Erolfa, Tuscan Leather.

My wife and I walked into our favorite neighborhood restaurant last night and ordered a drink at the bar. The guy next to me says , "Somebody smells good." My wife says, "It's probably him." As it turns out, it was me . . . wearing this . . .

IMG_3252_1.jpg

Ferre' for Men http://www.basenotes.net/ID26127192.html

Cheers . . . Wally
    Last edited by Wally Swoboda; 4th December 2012 at 02:50 PM.

"Oh, my God!", said the woman on the bus.

"What's wrong?" I asked, slightly aghast.

"Your fragrance... It's woody! What is it?", she inquired of me.

"It's called Antaeus, and it's made by Chanel", I replied.

"I just want to let you know", she said to me, "that it's great to smell a man wearing a man's fragrance, not some poofy (an Australianism that literally translates as "faggoty") fruity thing".

Cue laughter.

So women like men who unequivocally smell like men. Being a full-on poofter, I am indifferent to what women like, but it's nice to get compliments from strangers.

L'eau d'Issey and Kiton Black by women

Silver Mountain Water but by a dude

Quote Originally Posted by akenep View Post
    I bet if Carrot Top wore Aventus the girls would stay a mile away. Aventus is not all that great.

Apparently you've never been to Vegas. Carrot Top gets top shelf. Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    How about which female gives you the most scent compliments?
    Your mom.

<joking>

1. Aventus
    2. Bleu de Chanel
    3. La Nuit

I don't like Bleu too much, but girls do :3

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akenep View Post

But the ladies love a suitcase full of makeshift props.

If Bleu de Chanel doesn't get you a whole lot of compliments from the ladies then there's something wrong somewhere.
    Current Favorites:
    1. Le 3me Homme - Caron
    2. Yatagan - Caron
    3. Van Cleef & Arples Pour Homme
    4. Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme
    5. Kouros - YSL
    6. L'Anarchiste - Caron
    7. Xeryus - Givenchy
    8. V.I.P. Special Reserve - Giorgio Beverly Hills
    9. The Dreamer - Versace
    10. Nobile - Gucci

Quote Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
    "Oh, my God!", said the woman on the bus.

"What's wrong?" I asked, slightly aghast.

"Your fragrance... It's woody! What is it?", she inquired of me.

"It's called Antaeus, and it's made by Chanel", I replied.

"I just want to let you know", she said to me, "that it's great to smell a man wearing a man's fragrance, not some poofy (an Australianism that literally translates as "faggoty") fruity thing".

Cue laughter.

So women like men who unequivocally smell like men. Being a full-on poofter, I am indifferent to what women like, but it's nice to get compliments from strangers.
    No, THIS woman does.

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYOP View Post
    No, THIS woman does.
    THIS, this, a million times this. Qwertyop is 100% right. Every person is unique. There is no such thing as a universal scent that all women like, just as there is no scent a woman can wear that all men will like. Everyone is unique.

If everyone were the same, life sure would be boring.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
    <snipped>

No, THIS woman does.
    Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    THIS, this, a million times this. Qwertyop is 100% right. Every person is unique. There is no such thing as a universal scent that all women like, just as there is no scent a woman can wear that all men will like. Everyone is unique.

If everyone were the same, life sure would be boring.
    Amen to that.

I work at a luxury department store at the female fashion section. There is one fragrance which gets a lot of attention, from female colleagues who I know, as well as colleagues which I don't know personally. Also, almost every female customer has given me a compliment so far. Examples: walking by and says Hmmmm, somebody smells lovely in here or fetching a sigh and say you smell delicious. Dior Homme Intense, absolutely the best complimented fragrance. Others are jpg le male (bit cliche though), acqua di gio essenza, jpg² ysl 'homme.

It is interesting to see how the most complimented fragrances are not the top-rated ones in the BN Reviews ...

In my case, Allure Sport, Aqua di Gio, Le Male, Boss Bottled and A*Men are the only ones that have received compliments. I've tried less popular but good-reviewed ones and nothing (Versace Black Jeans, Hanae Mori, Rive Gauche, Joop Jump, etc.)

I have to give some Versace and YSL from this post a try ...

Basenotes Junkie

Michael Jordan Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dub View Post
    It is interesting to see how the most complimented fragrances are not the top-rated ones in the BN Reviews ...
    Very true! It's interesting how much of a difference there can be between the scents we enjoy on ourselves and the scents others enjoy on us.

One of the things to keep in mind about this thread and the spreadsheet list based on comments here is that it isn't really a list of scents that get the most compliments. It's a list of scents that get the most compliments as reported by folks on basenotes. In the real world, lots of frags people here consider to be generic would rate much higher and I suspect that many of the most hyped online wouldn't rate as high. Tastes here tend to be quite a bit more refined, and that's not a bad thing at all. Also, scents people here are more passionate about or excited about will end up higher on the list because they get worn more often.

I think it would be awesome to get an accurate list of the scents women enjoy the most on a man, but that would require a research project based on a huge diverse sample of women smelling scents without knowing what each is.

That being said... I love the spreadsheet made from this thread. It's neat to get an idea of whether others enjoy scents we may be thinking about buying. Obviously, you buy because you enjoy the scent, but this added bit of info is nice to have.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I also agree. Their are many scents that I truly enjoy which I do not receive any compliments when wearing. Others which I wear occasionally result in compliments throughout the day. The one fragrance that I get compliments while wearing each and every wearing? Creed Aventus.

The scent of confidence.
    Kiro

I got lots of compliments from women of all ages when I wear Ungaro III. There's something in that cologne that drives them crazy.

Try it and you'll see the results. One thing I would add, wear it with formal clothes. Not a jeans and T-shirt cologne.

Basenotes Plus

Last night, I got complimented on Mona di Orio's Oud from the Les Nombres d'Or series.

Received two compliments today back to back
    I walked to Fedex (i am there few times a week) and a woman said, "you always smell so nice"
    Next one few min later in elevator from two employees coworkers, as I walked out I have heard them say
    " he smelled good"
    Frank #2 Los Angeles

Cartier, Declaration d´Un Soir

I once received a compliment for wearing A*men, but it came from my cousin hahaha I have received countless compliments when wearing YSL's La nuit Le Parfum and L'eau D'issey

I got two for Tobacco Vanille today, but both from men. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cosgrove View Post
    I got two for Tobacco Vanille today, but both from men. Does that count?
    Why wouldn't it?

Why wouldn't it?
    The 'female' element of the title had me doubting! Still, not only is that a new record for me, I've never had a compliment from two men before.

From one of my wifes' female coworkers . . . "You smell nice." Polo Double Black it was.

Cheers . . . Wally

Mont Blanc Legend.

I got this as a gift.

I am not a big fan of this fragrance.

However, after showering, I sprayed 2-3 on my chest and 1 on my neck and went to the shopping center.

I got 4-5 compliments easily during my 2 hours shopping session.

Mostly girls around 25-30 yr old.

Even if it's a good compliments getter, I don't think I will wear it again.

It reminds me too much the smell of a store in the USA
    Tristan Lavoie
    Marié, infidèle et heureux.
    http://tristanheureux.blogspot.com/