Code of Conduct
Page 98 of 100 FirstFirst ... 48 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 LastLast
Results 5,821 to 5,880 of 5956

Default Re: Which scent gets you the most female compliments?

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Today, I'm wearing MI and a lady in the office mentioned that it smells good (directed to me), though I was in an office room and she was passing by in the hallway. Perhaps I put on too much?
    You can never put on too much MI
    What coach Rob says determines what I spray

I get quite a few compliments from Spicebomb My lady loves it

from most to least:

Polo Double Black
    Versace Eros (best sillage)
    Burberry For him (gitls love this one)
    Bvlgari Man
    suprisingly I also get a ot of compliments when I wear lower end eveydy colognes like hollister jake and abercrombie fierce

(keep in mind I'm only 18)

i smelled a familiar nice smell on a stranger yesterday. i approached him and asked him what he is wearing and it was Dior Fahrenheit. it smelled different form the Fahrenheit i know. it must be the reformulation or something. i asked him, are you sure its the old one and not one of the new flankers? he said yes its the old one.

Girl to me today... Wow you smell good. Lemme smell that again... Wow thats the best thing since cool water!

Aventus. lol

Recalling especially Amouage Interlude Men, Creed Bois de Cedrat (been asked for samples several times), Millesimé Imperiale and Jardin d'Amalfi.

I had two in one. Came home from work, spritzed, then walked my dog. As I was walking by two ladies in the park, I hear one say to her friend, "You smell really good!", to which her friend replied "I was going to say the same thing to you!". I'll take both of those as compliments thank you very much! The scent: Ex Idolo Thirty-Three.
    Current favorites:
    1. Invasion Barbare by MDCI
    2. M by Puredistance
    3. Epic Man by Amouage
    4. Jeke by Slumberhouse
    5. Hard Leather by LM Parfums
    6. Portrait of a Lady by Frederic Malle
    7. Tribute Attar by Amouage

I had almost finished work the other day (and didn't reapply the scent at all, so I thought it's gone) and was having a conversation with the manager and a colleague and then all of a sudden she interrupted the conversation and said that i smell "really, really good". This was quite surprising, given that I wore Kokorico by Gaultier which doesn't seem to get much love anywhere. But then again, it smells a tad differently on my skin, to such extent that I feel as if I'm smelling like a walking chocolate factory.
    Apart from that I recently got complimented on YSL La nuit de l'homme (the edp) which I first loved because it reminded me of Burberry London but then hated to the point where I rubbed it off my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by joov84 View Post
    i smelled a familiar nice smell on a stranger yesterday. i approached him and asked him what he is wearing and it was Dior Fahrenheit. it smelled different form the Fahrenheit i know. it must be the reformulation or something. i asked him, are you sure its the old one and not one of the new flankers? he said yes its the old one.
    In my experience, Fahrenheit smells different on other people versus how it smells to me when I wear it. I've smelled it a few times on other people, and each time, I was really surprised by it. I always wonder if that's how it smells to others when I wear it. If so, geez, I should wear it a heck of a lot more often!
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Royal Oud, Hanae Mori, and of coarse... Aventus.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    In my experience, Fahrenheit smells different on other people versus how it smells to me when I wear it. I've smelled it a few times on other people, and each time, I was really surprised by it. I always wonder if that's how it smells to others when I wear it. If so, geez, I should wear it a heck of a lot more often!
    i agree with you. thats exactly how i feel. maybe its the reformulation, i dont know. it smelled like something clean masculine and familiar.
    also, i haven't used it for 18 years now. but i did smell it here and there over these years.

I got many compliments with Hugo Boss Boss Bottled.

Brecourt Esprit Mondain and Bond No. 9 Wall Street
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project. NEW: Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture) / SantL (A Mysore Sandalwood reference fragrance...Mysore/Woods/Spice) / Limed - ONLY 7 Bottles Remaining (Lime/Sandalwood/Cedar/Ginger/Coconut Lactone

***MadHat Samples now available at Surrender to Chance here.

SALES THREAD SSS Incense Pure / Slumberhouse & More...

Hanae Mori HiM

Female security guard at the plant I work at.
    Aventus
    Last edited by bigsteve; 16th June 2014 at 11:47 PM.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

I always get compliments on Chanel Allure Homme Sport...always!!
    Today in my school's attendance office, the VERY attractive secretary said, "You smell really good. What is that?"
    This is the 3rd time she's complimented this particular fragrance. Another one she's commented on is New Haarlem.
    Life is too short to smell ordinary.

Bois D'Argent. No question. Since 2008, both men and women are captivated when I wear it. It's the very best perfume for me.

I rarely get compliments, but then I work from home these days and don't get out as much.

Today's (rather uncommon) compliment was this:
    Balenciaga Ho Hang Club -- "That's a really nice fragrance. What brand is it?" -- from a woman in her late 50's.

Other days, from past few months:

I've gotten a few nice compliments on Elsha 1776. "Were you in a leather goods shop? Smells like new leather." "That's a nice cologne you're wearing, but I feel like an older man would usually wear this." -- from a girl in her late 20's.

Royall Muske -- "Did you just come from a classic barbershop?" -- my sister, in her 40's.

Versace L'Homme (vintage) -- "That's a really nice cologne. I'm like where is your suit?" -- guy in his early 40's.

Got asked what I'm wearing today, and that it's (really?) nice/good.

Gucci Pour Homme II

I'm going to try to wear a different fragrance every single day I work for hours during the internship, hah. .
    (Formerly Jouho)

Had a compliment on the last two days

Interlude Man

Mancera Black to Black

Profumum Roma - Dambrosia.

Person at work asked what it was, said it smells really good, like Vanilla.

Most complimented frag for this past winter was Eau des Baux
    Summer 2014 rotation:
    1. L'eau d'Issey Summer Edition 2012
    2. Polo Sport
    3. Nikos Sculpture Homme
    4. Versace pour Homme
    5. Dior Homme Sport
    6. YSL L'Homme
    7. Cool Water (oh yea!!)
    8. Millesime Imperial
    9. Ciel Man

Wanted: bottle of Montale Intense Cafe and Aoud Leather.

Quote Originally Posted by noFragsleft View Post
    I love Eau des Baux - I should wear it more than I do

I own about 20 designer frags and out of the 20, my wife always
    compliments when I wear the Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale. I
    think it's the strong mint vibe. Any more minty fresh summer
    frags? (excluding Cartier Roadster, I don't like it on my skin.)
    I'm starting to like more minty than citrus for the summer.
    Citrus has longevity issues. Mint keeps the summer fragrance
    around longer.

I also got a compliment from a guy colleague about Mugler
    cologne. I love the clean soapy- ness from Mugler but after
    2 hours it's gone on me. Any other long lasting soapy summer
    frags out there? (I already own 3 Pradas. Amber, Amber Intense,
    and Infusion.

Quote Originally Posted by nosenose6257 View Post
    I own about 20 designer frags and out of the 20, my wife always
    compliments when I wear the Ferragamo Acqua Essenziale. I
    think it's the strong mint vibe. Any more minty fresh summer
    frags? (excluding Cartier Roadster, I don't like it on my skin.)
    I'm starting to like more minty than citrus for the summer.
    Citrus has longevity issues. Mint keeps the summer fragrance
    around longer.
    I recommend:
    Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Xerjoff 1861

Though these are not designers, you can get a nice size decant by jumping on a split on the Splits forum.
    Current faves (Subject to change at a moments notice!!):
    Roja Dove Diaghilev
    SHL 777 Khol de Bahrein
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur
    Dior Cuir Cannage
    Acqua di Parma Leather

I was gonna take my car in for repairs yesterday so I showered and spritzed a little used Tom Ford For Men and drove off. Later, after I explained to the mechanic what I wanted done, another customer followed me outside and nervously asked me which cologne I was wearing that smelled so good. I put him at ease and told him that I was wearing the "regular" Tom Ford. Even though he said that it smelled "excellent," I was shocked that someone would pick up the sillage of this short-lived gem.
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Gucci II, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Dior Homme Sport, DHI, Allure Edition Blanche, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: Bergamote 22/Verdon Au Toilette.

With some scents I did not expect compliments and get them nonetheless. A nice surprise!

Today received a compliment wearing Hanae Mori HM for the first time, 7 hours later I thought it was a skin scent and the lady 4 feet away stopped what she was doing to ask what I had on.

Hanae Mori seems to be the perennial favorite according to this thread, and I've received a few female compliments while wearing it, more so the EDT rather than the EDP. The most enthusiastic compliment I got was when I wore Malle Geranium pour Monsieur.

I don't wear it anymore, but Acqua di Gio always got me compliments. I even had one woman chase me down the street to ask what I was wearing.

Wore dolce and gabanna light blue for probably the first time in at least a year. I was reading some jardin d'amalfi reviews and some people say it smells like this to them. You know I didnt think so, but then when I tried it again, it does sorta a bit. Got a couple of compliments randomly on it to.

Funny/awkward one of the day was at friends house playing with his dog, door opens friends gf walks in and is like "why does the dog smell good? Clayton must be here" lol

Quote Originally Posted by noFragsleft View Post
    have to agree with this one....
    Looking for Byredo Pulp -

Default Re: Which fragrance gets you the most female compliments?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    You're right man! I can't give Fierce enough praise, sometimes it seems to do the job for me on its own, it's like my wingman haha.
    My Aventus sample, on the other hand, hasn't gotten me any compliments. Sometimes I think it's just a little too mature for girl's tastes.
    Well if you're 12, then yes it probably is....and if the girls you're trying to attract is 12, then yes Aventus is probably a bit mature....Just an observation....Aventus to me is the bomb and gets compliments from MANY women young and old....You're just not putting enough on....

For a couple of minutes ago, a female co-worker, she asked what I was wearing and had to get it for her husband; "so he can smell as good..."

Fragrance: Creed - Silver Mountain Water.
    Last edited by Quattroporte; 2nd July 2014 at 10:42 AM.

Hate to say it, but by far my biggest compliment getter has been none other than:

-One Million

Sure its generic, loud, and only appropriate for clubbing. But girls just love it.
    Other honorable mentions go to:

-Mont Blanc Individuale
    -Nautica Voyage
    -Cool Water
    -Versace Pour Homme
    -Thierry Mugler A*Men

I was just at the grocery store a little bit ago and as I was checking out I was right next to a woman about upper 30's/lower 40's while we were bagging our groceries she suddenly started talking to herself quietly and I saw her look up towards me while I was putting my items in bags and I hear "Wouldn't you know..." under her breath... So I think I'll take that as a compliment..she was obviously so taken back by my fragrance..

Fragrance- Aventus... Just bought this yesterday and already taken them down...

Got asked about Cool Water today. For a frag so old she had never smelt it before.
    Summer 2014 rotation:
    1. L'eau d'Issey Summer Edition 2012
    2. Polo Sport
    3. Nikos Sculpture Homme
    4. Versace pour Homme
    5. Dior Homme Sport
    6. YSL L'Homme
    7. Cool Water (oh yea!!)
    8. Millesime Imperial
    9. Ciel Man

Wanted: bottle of Montale Intense Cafe and Aoud Leather.

Polo black, and one really stands out; some years ago I was at a family gathering at the in-laws and was about to leave when saying my good-byes I was giving the sister a hug and she lets out this primal moan grunt deeply inhales and gets flush then proclaims "you smell amazing!", prolonging the embrace in front of both of our significant others and she was obviously very turned on. I don't know what it is but black smells different on my skin than others I've smelled it on, it has become a perennial favourite of mine and a go to scent.

Earlier today at a holiday dinner, I was the recipient of a rare compliment for the fragrance I was wearing from a person whom I didn't know. The individual said I smelled nice. The scent was Musc Tonkin. I was pleasantly surprised.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

LDDM and Bergamote 22.

Quote Originally Posted by rxavage View Post
    I was giving the sister a hug and she lets out this primal moan grunt deeply inhales and gets flush then proclaims "you smell amazing!", prolonging the embrace in front of both of our significant others and she was obviously very turned on.
    Er... do you mean sister-in-law?.. Or?
    (Formerly Jouho)

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Er... do you mean sister-in-law?.. Or?

Of course, lol. I didn't say my sister, I guess I could've been less vague but I figured when I said in-laws and 'the' it would be obvious to all except the oppositional.

I hoped so.......if not, that is a whole other topic.

Hahahaha epic!

I have used CK One, Issey Miyake and JPG and out of those 3 I would say JPG gets me the most compliments.

If there is one thing I have learned about most (again most) women is that they seem to prefer safer, more commercial designer scents. It would seem the more exotic it is the less they gravitate to it. This doesnt necessarily mean that you are doomed to wearing a boring fragrance to please your lady but it does pose a challenge when you dont want to smell like every other joe in the room. Of all the fragrances I have ever owned only two of them I could call absolute lady killers. Unfortunately they are also very commercial, popular and seem to be 50/50 split in the love and hate opinions about them. They are Acqua di Gio (older 99-01 years the new stuff is a true aquatic as it really is water in a bottle) and Bleu de Chanel. Any time I wore Acqua It was guaranteed that a woman was going to say something. And when they did they always knew exactly what I was wearing. WIth bleu de chanel I get more "wow, what is that?" comments. The only niche scent that garners any attention when I wear it is Aventus. Mind you I dont wear a whole lot of niche and when I do its usually a creed but most of them really dont get noticed. Aventus though does get it fair share of attention. But by far Acqua and Bleu are hands down the most complimented fragrances I have owned. I dont wear acqua any more. I tried essenza as that to me is the closest thing to the older formula of acqua di gio but there is something in it that bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    If there is one thing I have learned about most (again most) women is that they seem to prefer safer, more commercial designer scents. It would seem the more exotic it is the less they gravitate to it. This doesnt necessarily mean that you are doomed to wearing a boring fragrance to please your lady but it does pose a challenge when you dont want to smell like every other joe in the room. Of all the fragrances I have ever owned only two of them I could call absolute lady killers. Unfortunately they are also very commercial, popular and seem to be 50/50 split in the love and hate opinions about them. They are Acqua di Gio (older 99-01 years the new stuff is a true aquatic as it really is water in a bottle) and Bleu de Chanel. Any time I wore Acqua It was guaranteed that a woman was going to say something. And when they did they always knew exactly what I was wearing. WIth bleu de chanel I get more "wow, what is that?" comments. The only niche scent that garners any attention when I wear it is Aventus. Mind you I dont wear a whole lot of niche and when I do its usually a creed but most of them really dont get noticed. Aventus though does get it fair share of attention. But by far Acqua and Bleu are hands down the most complimented fragrances I have owned. I dont wear acqua any more. I tried essenza as that to me is the closest thing to the older formula of acqua di gio but there is something in it that bothers me.
    I agree with this.

Designer = For Compliments

Niche = For personal Adventure/Fun

One could get a compliments wearing Niche (perhaps not as often as Designer), and it would be a win-win because the person is probably experiencing the scent for the first time. Instead of complimenting something her/she smelled numerous times prior.

Agua de Loewe El... this one gets MAD compliments from both women and men.

It's got the AdG vibe without being as harsh, but still potent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    If there is one thing I have learned about most (again most) women is that they seem to prefer safer, more commercial designer scents.
    I agree, except, I'd change the wording a bit and say: Mainstream people prefer mainstream things. Fragrances, Beverages, Food, Clothing, Sports. Etc. That's why, as you noted, AdG and Bleu are going to get more compliments from most people than niche scents will. The secret to getting compliments from niche scents is to pick the right scent for the person you're hoping will like it. If somebody is reading this and thinking "I want everyone to think I smell great" or "I want women to think I smell great," those are generic statements, so you're better off wearing mainstream scents. If you have a specific person in mind - a date, perhaps? - use common sense and cater to that person's taste (even if it means making an educated guess).

Curve is like my little mainstream secret. Wow does Curve get me compliments. I think it's hilarious, but it works every time. It's a safe people pleaser. I usually don't wear niche around people I want to impress until I know their tastes a bit. But once I have a feel for somebody's taste, I can usually wow them with a niche scent or a less mainstream designer they'll love.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

Basenotes Junkie

Mainstream people prefer mainstream things. Fragrances, Beverages, Food, Clothing, Sports. Etc.

The secret to getting compliments from niche scents is to pick the right scent for the person you're hoping will like it.
    Shining moment of clarity there fellas.

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I've had wildly different luck in GF responses, depending on their personalities.

One went ga-ga for Nautica Voyage, for example, while the current GF loves Coromandel on me. You can't get much more different than that. I don't think I've ever had a one size fits all fragrance where women are concerned.

I agree, except, I'd change the wording a bit and say: Mainstream people prefer mainstream things. Fragrances, Beverages, Food, Clothing, Sports. Etc. That's why, as you noted, AdG and Bleu are going to get more compliments from most people than niche scents will. The secret to getting compliments from niche scents is to pick the right scent for the person you're hoping will like it. If somebody is reading this and thinking "I want everyone to think I smell great" or "I want women to think I smell great," those are generic statements, so you're better off wearing mainstream scents. If you have a specific person in mind - a date, perhaps? - use common sense and cater to that person's taste (even if it means making an educated guess).

Curve is like my little mainstream secret. Wow does Curve get me compliments. I think it's hilarious, but it works every time. It's a safe people pleaser. I usually don't wear niche around people I want to impress until I know their tastes a bit. But once I have a feel for somebody's taste, I can usually wow them with a niche scent or a less mainstream designer they'll love.
    You nailed it perfectly, sir.

The thing I find hard with niche though and dates is exactly as you say actually making that educated guess. Put it this way, If I know the person well enough to be able to make an educated guess as to what they will like from my niche line up I would probably be comfortable enought wearing whatever I wanted without fear of them rejecting me because they didnt like my cologne. Its that first impression that I find more difficult.

My solution? Well unless Im looking for a one nighter (not so much these days) I wear whatever without caring too much. Because to me any woman worth her salt should be able to appreciate the fact that someone is trying to be an individual instead of wearing one million to every social event. If a girl will cast me to the side because she didnt like a particular scent then I simply look at it as a filter for shallow people who I dont want around anyways. Still though thats a date.

When going to eat with family and friends I still want to smell good but Im not looking to turn heads at every turn. At those times its nice to have something like Bleu de chanel that I find more interesting than your average designer scent while still being firmly planted in the safe category. Sure I could spritz with some GIT or Original Vetiver but Im bound to get an irish spring or cool water comment, lol.

as far as curve goes. Definitely safe. And admittedly I wore a ton of the original and soul for a few years in my early 20s. But now it simply is just so boring to me that I really cant even bring myself to spray it. I have to enjoy what I am wearing. I dont care if panties spontaneously combusted upon smelling the stuff. If its not keeping my interest It will ALWAYS get passed up. I have 20-30 paper weights right now that are a waste of some pretty good juice for that same reason. Too cheap to sell and too much of a waste to just throw away.

As
    Last edited by Tmoran; 7th July 2014 at 01:41 AM.

Basenotes Member

Dolce and Gabbana Pour Homme never fails to get compliments at least for me!

Quote Originally Posted by JourneymanDave View Post
    Shining moment of clarity there fellas.

In keeping with the spirit of this thread, I've had wildly different luck in GF responses, depending on their personalities.

One went ga-ga for Nautica Voyage, for example, while the current GF loves Coromandel on me. You can't get much more different than that. I don't think I've ever had a one size fits all fragrance where women are concerned.
    Yeah, there's no such thing as cookie cutter people/personalities, far too many variables and preferences based on unpredictable life experiences and circumstances. Thus the term mainstream is incompetent and invalid in almost every case possible.

Something mainstream today is tomorrow's throwback. Hipster in, hippie out, indie a mix and all listen to many of the same songs, drink the same black leaf tea and should use the back door for entry into any finer establishment.

i was in the supermarket line yesterday and a girl was behind me and said you smell good and smiled. man oh man it made my day

bleu de chanel

Great thread! I've been snooping on this forum for about a year now but this discussion compelled me to finally become a member.

So far, I've only received compliments from an oddball... Byredo - Oud Immortel. These were from a couple of very attractive hostesses at a restaurant/bar (age probably mid-20s) on separate occasions, a lady friend with whom I shared a bed from time to time (late 20s), and a couple of random women in public. Each of them said something like, "you smell amazing!". Nice. I assume this is mostly because it's such an unusual scent compared to most mainstream fragrances and it is pleasant. I don't know... I guess it works for me.

That said, this thread has inspired me to break out my old Bleu de Chanel bottle that has been gathering dust. The Byredo isn't something I want to wear during the hot Summer months.

We'll see how it goes!
    Last edited by CaptainMiguel; 9th July 2014 at 03:54 PM.

I receive the most compliments when I wear Memoir Man or Interlude Man.

My wife complimented me just yesterday morning when I was leaving for work....I am not sure if getting a compliment from your wife or spouse counts on this thread but she's usually pretty good at picking out the ones that smell super-fantastic...

The scent ?

Quote Originally Posted by rxavage View Post
    Polo black, and one really stands out; some years ago I was at a family gathering at the in-laws and was about to leave when saying my good-byes I was giving the sister a hug and she lets out this primal moan grunt deeply inhales and gets flush then proclaims "you smell amazing!", prolonging the embrace in front of both of our significant others and she was obviously very turned on. I don't know what it is but black smells different on my skin than others I've smelled it on, it has become a perennial favourite of mine and a go to scent.
    Polo Black was my signature scent for a while. Got tons of compliments. I just got tired of it after a while, I rarely wear it now.

My wife definitely prefers the niche type scents over designer. She can usually "blind-spot" the better scents, that is, without seeing the bottle or label, or knowing the designer. It's like she can smell luxury. That said, she loves Dior Homme and the original TDH.