Code of Conduct

Default The curious case of the expanding male

Temps here in Salt Lake have started their annual spiral towards triple digits on a daily basis. The air conditioner pretty much runs day and night now to keep the hovel a livable 70 to 75 degrees, farenheit. About a week ago I opened the apartment door and was awash in a bright, crisp, oddly familiar smell. Couldn't place it, thought no more of it. Time went by and the smell got a little stronger with each passing day until it became unmistakably Mat;Male. It was sitting on a dresser directly in the line of the air conditioner's cooling flow. When I went to pick it up I found it firmly attached to the dresser top by dissolved and now hardened polyurethane finish. It took some effort to snap it free and after doing so I found my hand slick with cologne. The bottle was cool to the touch, almost cold. I cleaned it off until it was dry and made room for it in the lettuce crisper. That was day before yesterday and I figured problem solved until I got home from work today and opened the fridge. Whoever says that Mat isn't a good cold weather scent has yet to smell my Kenmore upright. There it sat, in a silver dollar sized pool of juice, quite cold to the touch this time.

Fermentation? Fragrant genie feeling cramped? I used to work for EOD and have to say that anything this chemically active years after manufacture makes me nervous. Sort of like dynamite sweating on a hot day. Whatever it is, the extruded juice lasts for days and makes a dandy paint stripper to boot.

Anyone else have perfumed science projects going on?

Default Re: The curious case of the expanding male

That is really weird. Could the bottle itself have a hairline crack in it?

OMG, you may be witnessing the first step in the evolution of perfume to sentient being
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    OMG, you may be witnessing the first step in the evolution of perfume to sentient being
    ROFL!!!

One of the funniest posts I have ever seen on BN!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I've had similar things happen twice and it turned out to be a gunked-up atomizer that was doing some sort of diabolical suction thing. In both cases I was able to take off the atomizer, clean it with civilian household water from the tap, and put it back: happy bottle. But my fridge smells like nothing special.

It's only masculine market targeted fragrances that do this.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Really, DustB? Any theories? Is it the finely ground chest hair?

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    Anyone else have perfumed science projects going on?
    Great story. I must admit I have the remainder (2-3 ml) of a bottle of Rose 31 siting on my dresser as an experiment to test the effects of ambient light and temperature fluctuation. Also, to test Le Labo's recommended expiration date. The test bottle is not exposed to direct sunlight but the late afternoon sun heats the room to near 80 degrees Fahrenheit and brightens the room with plenty of indirect sunlight, even with the curtains drawn. The test bottle is also three months past the recommended expiration date.

The control bottle is about a month a old and is kept in a dark fridge. It's been about two months since I started this experiment and so far, both test and control samples still smell the same.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    It's only masculine market targeted fragrances that do this.
    In my youth I often played with my Erector Set, a marvelously constructed toy that gave me great delight. I believe it too was designed mainly with early teen boys in mind but I have also heard that young ladies took pleasure in playing with it also.
    Last edited by kbe; 5th July 2008 at 03:50 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Really, DustB? Any theories? Is it the finely ground chest hair?
    Why yes indeed, sir. In Noirwest's case under review, my theory is confirmed by the name of the fragrance involved: "Mat: Male." Of course the juice had to do this. It's in its very molecular/nominal roots.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

So, gentlemen, a plea for common sense in chest hair management: after your weekly waxings, make sure that chest hair is properly disposed of, not bagged and peddled for nefarious ends. Make sure that your wax shop is Basenotes certified and look for tell-tale hair (is it technically fur?) baggies. If you won't do it for yourselves, think of all the clogged atomizers sitting forlornly in silver-dollar-sized puddles, and do the right thing.
    Should this be a sticky?
    Last edited by Strollyourlobster; 5th July 2008 at 05:37 PM.

waxing / shaving chest hair...tsk tsk folks. back hair is definitely acceptable, but unless you look like a gorilla with your chest hair thats just unmanly.

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    So, gentlemen, a plea for common sense in chest hair management: after your weekly waxings, make sure that chest hair is properly disposed of, not bagged and peddled for nefarious ends. Make sure that your wax shop is Basenotes certified and look for tell-tale hair (is it technically fur?) baggies. If you won't do it for yourselves, think of all the clogged atomizers sitting forlornly in silver-dollar-sized puddles, and do the right thing.
    Should this be a sticky?
    Defininitely be careful. Once I was in some store and was approached by some crazy guy with a moustache-- He said he was from Kazakhstan and he came up and tried to sell me bags of "human pubis".

Try using this on your bottle:

Cheers,
    Al