Code of Conduct

Default The Perfume of China

Hi folks,

I am back after a long period of absence. I was working as a TA in China.... I stayed in Shanghai and Beijing. I had to work hard and spent all my free time doing tourism, so I had no time to spend on Basenotes.

After this trip, I became very interested in perfumes with a strong and natural jasmine note. Jasmine is everywhere in China....in the drinks, in people's houses, and even in the food. I ate a sweet with caramelized jasmine. So, I would like to buy a perfume that has a predominant jasmine note.

What do you suggest me to buy?

Lucius

Default Re: The Perfume of China

Creed Jasmal is a very straightforward, natural smelling jasmine.

No perfume however beats the smell at our botanical garden, when the jasmines bloom in the tropical rainforest hothouse landscape...
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Je Reviens' by Worth. It's all about jasmines from the Grasse region. It's a beautiful fragrance. There's another one called "Sampaguita" by Ormonde Jayne that has recieved wonderful reviews. It's is from Arabian jasmines or 'Sampaguita' jasmine that comes from the Philippines.
    Last edited by aubrgene; 5th July 2008 at 07:09 PM.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

+1 on Jasmal, but its pretty feminine

À la Nuit by Serge Lutens has been eloquently described as "death by jasmine".

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    À la Nuit by Serge Lutens has been eloquently described as "death by jasmine".
    Is A la Nuit as sweet as everything else Lutens makes?

Quote Originally Posted by mmaximus View Post
    Is A la Nuit as sweet as everything else Lutens makes?
    I'd have to say no. A la Nuit is a pretty natural smelling jasmine tempered by the slighest trace of clove. However, it is quite feminine. SL Sarrasins is also a good jasmine that is a bit less feminine.

There are different kinds of jasmine and they do smell different.
    The kind of jasmine used to fragrance tea is Jasmine Sambac....aka: Arabian Jasmine....aka: Pikake.
    I've only found that scent relistically recreated in fragrance oils. DSH comes to mind.
    There is also an attar called "Motia" which I understand to be Jasmine Sambac distilled into a base of sandalwood oil. I haven't smelled it, but it sounds heavenly to me!
    It shouldn't be too difficult to fulfill your jasmine desires. Good luck!

There is a Jasmine note in Viktor and Rolf's Antidote.....Gary

I would have thought that China is more osmanthus than jasmine .

Welcome back, and post a lot.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Blog Entries

Amouage's Reflection has a pretty prominent jasmine note.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Can't help you with your question, but I'm leaving to Shanghai next sunday, are there any must visit places for perfumefanatics ? Other recommendations are also welcome though.

Basenotes Institution

Do yourself a favor Lucius and sample A La Nuit by Serge Lutens. It's quite amazing.

Coincidentally, I just won a bid on Ebay for it last week...I've sampled a handful of jasmine scents and nothing matched the diffusion, tenacity or indolic properties of real jasmine quite like ALN does. This scent is amazing and anyone who likes jasmine owes themselves the opportunity to smell this scent.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Can't help you with your question, but I'm leaving to Shanghai next sunday, are there any must visit places for perfumefanatics ? Other recommendations are also welcome though.
    Lian, Shanghai has many department stores and shopping centers, where you can find the usual european/american perfumes. But I did not find any place that sold locally made perfumes. They must exist, though. I should have asked my chinese friend about it, but I didn't.

I am far from being a Jasmin expert. However, Montale's Jasmin Full is a white floral assault, just as intoxicating as the real blooming tree

In Perfumes: The Guide, A La Nuit by Serge Lutens is described as "jasmine jasmine", rating of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene View Post
    Je Reviens' by Worth. It's all about jasmines from the Grasse region. It's a beautiful fragrance. There's another one called "Sampaguita" by Ormonde Jayne that has recieved wonderful reviews. It's is from Arabian jasmines or 'Sampaguita' jasmine that comes from the Philippines.
    hmmm just to clarify.. the main note in Je Reviens is Narcissus