Code of Conduct

Default SotW June 28th-July 4th, 2008

Week 18 saw the end of June and the beginning of July roll in. It also marks the one-third of the way mark through this experiment. As always interesting trends to see and comment on, including an unexpected #1. We'll get to that after the raw numbers.
    A total of 980 posts this week up from last week's low water point of 813.
    618 different scents mentioned up from 523 putting us back in the above 600 range again.
    438 of these scents mentioned only one time for an individuality index of 44.7% up from 373 for the singletons but down from 45.9% for individuality.
    Good solid numbers this week to watch for trends on. I'm going to start with a little extended talk about the houses. Creed had fallen off in the middle of June but over the last couple of weeks has come roaring back coming close to its highest house levels for the 18 weeks. What I find interesting about this is the bounceback has been almost entirely fueled by the guys. There are a couple of women who wear some of the Creeds but over 90% of the wears come from the male side of the boards. The ladies have their house favorites too as Ava Luxe and Estee Lauder have jumped up in wears since the addition of the ladies to the numbers. The house that has seen the greatest effect of the addition of the ladies to things is Serge Lutens. In the 10 weeks since we've combined the boards that house has seen a big jump percentagewise and held that share of the wears consistently now. This is fueled by almost unisex support although each gender clearly has favorites amongst the line. There usually isn't enough support for one particular scent to pop it into the top 10 but as a house it is one of the strongest performers.
    For Week 18 three houses stood out with increased wear patterns. Bond No. 9 held on to the increased wear, shown for the first time last week. What is interesting is the pattern of which individual fragrances were worn shifted quite a bit but the overall number stayed the same. I wonder if Bond No. 9 is more of a warm weather house and that is why we are seeing these increases. Lorenzo Villoresi increased its wears this week 100% over its average with 12 of the 15 recorded scents getting at least one wear. Penhaligon's also had a similar week to Lorenzo Villoresi as it also had an almost 100% increase in wears over its average and it was spread out over 10 scents. These numbers interest me because it speaks to the depth of a house when a number of their scents get worn even if those scents never show up in the top 10 on an individual basis.
    Of course if some houses are up then others must be down. This week the two high average houses which dropped a lot were L'Artisan, off 75% and Givenchy off 80%. I don't know if I have a good explanation for it but those are the numbers. Two of the smaller average houses almost fell off the radar completely as i Profumi di Firenze and Jo Malone had only 1 and 2 wears as a house respectively. This is from houses that average 4-5 wears a week. I find it particularly surprising in the case of i Profumi di Firenze as there was a fair amount of chatter about the line on the men's forum this week.
    On the individual scent side we have a new number one this week which came out of left field for me. Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme. I don't know if the nomination of Indie Guy's "Wore Rive Gauche and got BITTEN" thread for Best of Basenotes fueled this renaissance. Another factor in play might be that Yves St. Laurent has seen increased wears as a house since his passing away at the beginning of June. As I hypothesized then people might have been reintroduced to an old friend and have gone back to adding that scent to their rotation. Naaah its probably a bunch of guys hoping they get bitten, too.
    In the number two slot and the only scent to be in the top 10 every week for 18 weeks is Terre D'Hermes. The other twin pillar of the top 10 Guerlain Vetiver is also here although down a little lower in the list. Two other Guerlains are ahead of it in Habit Rouge, which is showing its own renaissance in the last couple of weeks; and L'Instant pour Homme.
    Proving that promoting yourself to Basenoters is a good thing Parfums Raffy Dragon hit the list as Basenoters gave their samples a test drive. It was interesting to me that Dragon got twice as many wears as Mogul. It probably means from a description viewpoint Dragon was more enticing.
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta makes it two weeks in a row on the list. This is a prime example of what I was looking to see by doing this exercise. There is a thread on the men's forum asking for input on which one of the Acqua di Parma Colonias are best. If you read that thread Assoluta is almost always made out to be third choice. When it comes to what people actually wear it looks like Assoluta is first choice by a mile as the other two together didn't add up to the wears for Assoluta this week. One thing I think this shows is what we say isn't as interesting as what we actually do.
    Two Creeds make the list this week and neither of them is Green Irish Tweed. Original Vetiver and Vintage Tabarome fly the House of Creed banner this week. The ladies get one scent into the top 10 with Thierry Mugler Angel. The other three scents are usual suspects in Yves St. Laurent M7, Comme des Garcons Vettiveru, and Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain.
    Here's now the Top Ten for June 28th to July 4th, 2008
    1.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 15 wears (1.5%)
    2.) Hermes Terre D'Hermes 10 wears (1.0%)
    3.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 8 wears (0.8%)
    3.) Parfums Raffy Dragon 8 wears (0.8%)
    5.) Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta 7 wears (0.7%)
    5.) Creed Original Vetiver 7 wears (0.7%)
    5.) Guerlain L'Instant pour Homme 7 wears (0.7%)
    5.) Guerlain Vetiver 7 wears (0.7%)
    5.) Yves St. Laurent M7 7 wears (0.7%)
    10.) Thierry Mugler Angel 6 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Comme des Garcons Vettiveru 6 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Creed Vintage Tabarome 6 wears (0.6%)
    10.) Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain 6 wears (0.6%)

The ladies have 5 of the 9 just missed scents which were one wear short of making the top 10. The five scents worn by the ladies, for the most part, are Annick Goutal Eau de Ciel, Kenzo Amour, L de Lolita Lempicka, Serge Lutens Bois de Violette, and Shiseido Feminite du Bois. The remaining four just missed scents are Aramis Aramis, Chanel pour Monsieur, Montana Parfum D'Homme, and Narciso Rodriguez for Him. One last little note is Hinoki has now completed its bell shaped curve as it sinks to is lowest total in ten weeks. Just like a beautiful firework it has now come crashing back to earth.
    As always, you keep wearing 'em and I'll keep counting 'em.
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotW June 28th-July 4th, 2008

I am for the "I wanna get bitten" theory

Thanks SMM!
    Last edited by Asha; 6th July 2008 at 03:18 AM.

Default Re: SotW June 28th-July 4th, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I am for the "I wanna get bitten" theory

Thanks SMM!
    Me too!