Code of Conduct

Default what would be an ideal fragrance for a holy man or mystic?

i don't mean a priest but it could be. something maybe for a fortune teller, gypsy, witch, warlock, or warrior monks lol. czech and speake no.88 and l'air du desert marocain?

Default Re: what would be an ideal fragrance for a holy man or mystic?

MoslBuddJewChristHinDao (Unifaith) by Elternhaus.

Description from Luckyscent:

"Salvation in a perfume? Eternal life in an atomizer? Perhaps not— but Elternhaus's new perfume is as close to the Divine as it gets with fragrance. A spiritual blend centered around sandalwood, MoslbuddJewChristHinDao is a perfect harmony of scents, each one carefully chosen to represent one of Earth's major religions. Fans of 10 Corso Como will delight in its familiar opening, a clean sandalwood/sweet wood combination that's both enchanting and spiritual. This cosmically in-tune fragrance unites all: Men and women, faithful and the unbelievers with its unisex— or unifaith— appeal. The gentle herb tinge of the kingly fragrance of basilica and the spiced honey-like immortelle flower soar as middle notes, while a deeply resinous gaiac wood, dry cedar and milky, golden amber tie up the base. It's clean yet warm, spiritual yet modern... the imagined scent of the wings of an Archangel. Divine!"

Blog Entries

I would explore outside the world of mixed with alcohol perfumes, and go for pure Oudh oils if smell is the only thing I am going for.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Basenotes Institution

Anything with incense
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Cathedral .....

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

For a mystic--sandalwood essential oil from the natural food store. I find sandalwood oil is very spiritually uplifting and it is a great meditation scent.

On a side note, I do not see much in common between a fortune teller and a mystic. Am I missing something from the original idea here?

My fiancee's parish priest wears Gucci pour homme and Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour homme.
    -

From reviews here I would say
    Avignon by Comme des Garçons
    and
    Messe de Minuit by Etro

Nasmatto Hindu Grass? Or the CdG Incense series?

I find Ditpqyue's Tam Dao and CdG Monocle Hinoki intensely spiritual scents myself. And in a more orthodox vein, Annick Goutal's Encens Flamboyant and Myrrhe Ardente as well as Aesop's Mystra.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Essence of Jerusalem.

www.essenceofjerusalem.biz

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Caron
    Parfum Sacré
    (1990)
    Jean-Pierre Béthouard
    Top Notes: Black Pepper, Cinnamon, Coriander, Clove, Lemon, Cardamom
    Middle Notes: Rose Jasmine, Orange Blossom, Mimosa, Rosewood
    Base Notes: Myrrh, Musk, Amber, Vanilla, Civet, Cedar

This smells better than the finest church incense, and has an incredible presence on skin. Close your eyes and you are in perfect silence before the Sapphire Throne in the presence of archangels and all the hosts of heaven. Just avoid the newer, reformulated version.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Creed Angelique Encens, of course.

Czech & Speake no. 88 or Montale Black Aoud / Aoud lime

Amouage Gold

Pure oud would be perfetct.

Or cheaper :

Encens et Lavande or Iris Silver Mist - Serge Lutens (cold)
    Tubéreuse Criminelle - Serge Lutens (weird)
    Musc Koublaï Khan (hot)
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

And what would be an ideal fragrance for a druid or a shaman?

Norma Kamali's "Incense". It smells more like copal incense used by the Aztec priests burned for purification, protection and cleansing ceremonies.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Creed Angelique Encens, of course.
    I believe Pope Benedict was gifted this on his recent visit to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    My fiancee's parish priest wears Gucci pour homme and Christian Lacroix Tumulte pour homme.
    Cool priest! Two perfect incense / cedar scents - how did he figure that out?
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Blog Entries

I have ordered their frankincense & myrrh in the past for the thrill of it. That $7.13 could be better spent elsewhere. Its really cheap quality. You get what you pay for doesn't even apply to this one as I've had better quality oils for $2.

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Essence of Jerusalem.

www.essenceofjerusalem.biz
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Blog Entries

For your metrosexual holy man, it would naturally be

Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert View Post
    And what would be an ideal fragrance for a druid or a shaman?
    For a druid: Eau Sauvage. It smells like nature, with lemon, rosemary, basil and vetiver and has a bit of a earthy smell. It smells neutral, like a druid should, but with some notes that are a bit offkey. Other posibilities would be a green scent like Calvin Klein Eternity for Men and I think the balance of Dior Homme (mixing male and female components) would also fit the bill. Druids are all about maintaining balance and neutrality as I found out in the RPG Baldur's Gate. Also the friendly woods in Chevignon for Men would fit a druid well.

A shaman is more an orc like character (at least that's what I learned from Heroes of Might and Magic V). Orcs are impulsive, violent barbarians. I think Kouros would fit the bill, because it has a dominant presence and has incense for the more spiritual side of the shaman. A more modern shaman would wear Dior's Fahrenheit. The gasoline smell reminds him of the posibility of throwing fireballs .

For a gypsy / witch / warlock / druid / shayman / soothsayer: "Rock Crystal" is perfect, by Olivier Durbano.

Its dry incense and damp earthiness are fantastic!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 6th July 2008 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brainpower1972 View Post
    For a druid: Eau Sauvage. It smells like nature, with lemon, rosemary, basil and vetiver and has a bit of a earthy smell. It smells neutral, like a druid should, but with some notes that are a bit offkey. Other posibilities would be a green scent like Calvin Klein Eternity for Men and I think the balance of Dior Homme (mixing male and female components) would also fit the bill. Druids are all about maintaining balance and neutrality as I found out in the RPG Baldur's Gate. Also the friendly woods in Chevignon for Men would fit a druid well.

A shaman is more an orc like character (at least that's what I learned from Heroes of Might and Magic V). Orcs are impulsive, violent barbarians. I think Kouros would fit the bill, because it has a dominant presence and has incense for the more spiritual side of the shaman. A more modern shaman would wear Dior's Fahrenheit. The gasoline smell reminds him of the posibility of throwing fireballs .
    I am not sure if I am being overly sensitive, but I am wondering how you can judge what druids or shamans are based on role playing games? There are serious spiritual practitioners which are documented in anthropological literature, and some current day practitioners also. They are not characters in a story.

Is this thread also a game? I thought it was a sincere and interesting question to wonder what a holy man/woman might wear as a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Cool priest! Two perfect incense / cedar scents - how did he figure that out?
    Hes in his 40s, and was already a fan of GPH. I gifted the Tumulte PH to him and maybe Avignon is next.
    -

Czech & Speake - Frankincense & Myrhh

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I am not sure if I am being overly sensitive, but I am wondering how you can judge what druids or shamans are based on role playing games? There are serious spiritual practitioners which are documented in anthropological literature, and some current day practitioners also. They are not characters in a story.

Is this thread also a game? I thought it was a sincere and interesting question to wonder what a holy man/woman might wear as a scent.
    I think the confusion is caused by the title of the thread which talks about a holy man or mystic, which would suggest a serious spiritual practitioner, while the explanation of the question mentions fortune tellers, warlocks and warrior monks, which to me brings associations with role playing games. The fragances I mentioned fit well the way these characters are portrayed in those games.

The question which scent a real druid would wear is a lot more difficult to answer. In fact I doubt if they would wear mainstream fragrances and they probably would make scents for themselves from natural substances, primarily plants and not animals. Of the mainstream scents I know the smell of Chanel Egoïste would seem the best suiting, because of the sandalwood in the drydown and the mysterious rose. The friendly combination of woods and jasmin in Chevignon for men would also seem fitting and maybe Guerlain Vetiver and Dior Homme. There may be niche scents which would make a better match, but I only know mainstream scents.

I really have no clue what a real shaman would wear, but the only scents I own that would come close would be Antaeus (because of the complex and natural smell) and Kouros (because of the animalic component in combination with a more spiritual incense).

Regarding the question what a mystic would wear, I find woody fragrances the most fitting for a contemplative mood. Of the scents I own I probably would turn to Antaeus if I felt the need for reflection. I can see why a lot of people find incense to be spiritual, but I find the smell of incense so strong that it would distract me.

Kenzo pour homme is good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    I am not sure if I am being overly sensitive.
    Do not take this the wrong way but I believe you are being a bit too sensitive. I mean, how seriously can you take an opinion formed from a role playing game? this is a bulletin board and it is better to learn to pick you battles and ignore the little meaningless details. I do not know a shaman or a druid (and I bet 95% of the basenoters are in the same situation) so it does not matter how serious I am about this thread, any opinion I give is going to be based on stereotypes. In fact most of the opinions about perfume are based on stereotypes.

What it is interesting to me is how the portrayal of the mystics is so closely tied with the beginnings of perfume. Even today we still relate Religious men with fragrant smokes of incense, sandalwood, copal and Myrrh.
    (My mother has 3 ways to classify Male perfume: young, old and like a priest)

"And there was a woman in the city who was a sinner; and when she learned that He was reclining at the table in the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster vial of perfume, and standing behind Him at His feet, weeping, she began to wet His feet with her tears, and kept wiping them with the hair of her head, and kissing His feet and anointing them with the perfume."

She would have used Angeliques Sous La Pluie
    (I know, I am obsessed with the perfume)
    Last edited by irish; 6th July 2008 at 08:24 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Since a single fragrance wouldn't suit all I am going with frag name as the criterion:

Divine Essence 1
    by JoAnne Bassett
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Musc Koublaï Khan (hot)
    Yeah, that would make the nuns around him think about strange things.

Either holy, ot mystic: Esenzia Loewe. A great mystic, dark scent, from the very inside of a cathedral.

brainpower and irish, thanks for your posts. I do get one of my buttons pushed with the role playing game comparison, as I always used to butt heads with a fellow regarding this matter (still do get this from time to time with people I run into). I agree that some light-heartedness and mirth are always a lot of fun, even if we are talking about "serious" spirituality or stereotypes.

I also really appreciate your sincere discussion about some fragrances and how they might be appropriate--I like to hear about both the "what" and the "why", so your opinions are very welcome.

brainpower, I am with you on the distraction of incense scents. For me, it is mostly the ones that evoke church (ie, Frankincense and Myrrh burning on charcoal) that are a bit of a turnoff. I was thrilled when I first smelled Le Nez Let me Play the Lion because the incense was much more woody. Like you, I think this is a scent family which is much more conducive to a meditative state. That is why my first inclination was to go with sandalwood
    Last edited by Asha; 6th July 2008 at 09:48 PM.

Not to offend you, oh thread creator, but in all probability those who are posting (and likely you yourself) have acquired a mental image of these different sets of people through what you have seen in media, anyway. What you are asking for is what a caricature would wear. The guy who mentioned a video game was ironically referring to a different caricature of the topic than the one with which you are familiar. That is how I read it anyway.

Tauer: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Incense Extreme, Incense Rose & Lonestar Memories
    Comme des Garcons: Vettiveru, Sequoia & Incense Series
    L'Artisan Parfumeur: Dzongkha, Timbuktu

Anyone try Opus oils incidentally?

Cheers,
    Al

I'd say the caricature would wear a rose scent because it's holy to stop along the path of life and smell the roses.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Depending on which religious culture (ancient religion or religions still alive nowadays) you pick, several smells are related to religious symbols. For example in many religions incense is associated to the pray because it rises towards God and it's intended as a way to carry offer and pray to God. In some cultures the act of burning incense is directly associated to a purifying act so incense has a purifying meaning. In catholic religion for example rose smell is usually associated to santity and specially associated to the Virgin Mary also referred as the mystical rose. In ancient religions mhyrr was used to preserve mummies and deads bodies (natural mhyrr has a strong antimycotic and disinfectant power so to preserve better bodies from decay). In ancient greece, laurel was dedicated to Apollo, god of sun, and so fighter's bodies in olimpic games were drenched in oil with a strong laurel aroma (which, aside making more difficult to be catched by the opponent, had also a warming effect to prevent muscles pain).
    In indian religion also sandalwood has a special use and meaning.
    So, concluding, I'd say anything heavy in incense, resins or sandalwood and maybe rose is a good choice.

Chopard's Heaven, CK Eternity or CK Truth should give them something to help them in their pondering of matters mystic.
    Renato

Pure aoud. Sandalwood. Frankincense/olibanum. Myrrh also, it was used in alot of death rituals and has a quiet, meditative aspect to it..

Muslims have an affinity for musk, too. That's interesting because in the western world, musk has a reputation as being a bit risque. It seems that alot of musks in Western perfumery are more animalic/indolic. Civet and castoreum, esp. the civet. There are actually alot of clean musks smells out there that don't smell so indolic or animalic. I think musk has more of an "awake" than meditative/reflective feel to it.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 7th July 2008 at 10:02 AM.

Comme des Garcons Avignon, Heeley Cardinal, Profumum Olibanum.

One, or all of the above three.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Anything with incense
    I'm late to the party but that was the first thing in my head.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post

Anyone try Opus oils incidentally?

Cheers,
    Al
    Wow !!! ...
    She is one hot feline .
    Anak , tell us more about these Opus Oils .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

A holy man mystic would want a plant essence fragrance that reveals the vibration and life force of the spirit through the plant world. Something that draws you deeper into a spiritual flow and helps you focus on the inner path. A fragrance for the mystic is one that encourages right brain activity of oneness as opposed to left brain evaluation or separation. Something that has a transcendent quality. So many of our fragrances reveal worldly ideals of the world such as sex, power, lustful attraction, beauty, materiality and sensuality. The holy mystic would not want these - but the other ones. Some that come to mind are:

CdG Avignon
    CdG Scent One Hinoki
    CdG Original parfum
    CdG Kyoto
    Tam Dao
    Gucci Pour Homme - the image of Gucci is anything but holyman, but the fragrance is.
    MpG Santal Noble
    Profumum Santalum
    Profumum Olibanum
    PG Intragant Patchouli
    Hindu Grass
    Borneo 1834
    CdG Palisander
    Let Me Play the Lion
    En Sens de Bois, Miller Harris
    Mastrale, Profumi di Pantelleria
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 7th July 2008 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Anything with incense
    Kouros has incense.

Monk by Michael Storer

What kind of mystic? That could change things.

Jil Sander For Men

Top Notes
    Ivy Leaf, Brazilian Mint.

Middle Notes
    Coriander, Cardamom, Pepper.

Base Notes
    Cypress, Cashmere, Red Cedarwood, Incense, Myrrh, Labdanum.
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

CdG: Scent One Hinoki

I'm going to add MPG Grain de Plaisir to the mix, as I think it would wear well on a druid or shaman. It is neutral, herbal, a bit grassy, with lemon and notes of celery. Aromatic and very very dry, it conjures images of virgin wheatfields on a warm summer day.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 23rd August 2008 at 04:34 PM.

I've never tried this one, but a friend swears by it. I never smelled any of Ave Luxe's products, but it's called "Sacred"

http://www.ava-luxe.com/2008/scentindex/sacred.html

I would have to say Gucci pour Homme fits the image of a holy man real well especially at a wooden church!

Old Spice would fit too because it creates that vibe of being trustworthy and conservative to the people around him.

Versace dreamer

Boss Pure

Amouage - Jubilation XXV

I wore this the last time I went to see Cirque du Soleil. It fit very well with the holiness of those who have learned to use their bodies to the utmost, to those for whom every motion is a sacrament (all of us, if only we could realize it).

Simple answer, really, if you think about it. Sweat, just plain old perspiration. Oh, and mix in a little dirt, perhaps a bit of smoke from warming up the pot this morning, add some damp wool. Sweat or maybe Kouros.

Smile Re: what would be an ideal fragrance for a holy man or mystic?

CDG Avignon.. wow!!! This is one hell of a sinister potion! Totally unwearable for me but would definitely suit a holy man.. Amazing scent.. I could not wash this stuff off.. I could smell it for days!

Imagine the smell of a 300 year old dust covered bible.. kept in the Church Ambry!
    Last edited by deck89; 24th August 2008 at 09:01 AM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

wrong topic - sorry but rochas lui could be an opportunity here too :--)
    Last edited by sanatik; 24th August 2008 at 12:29 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    Simple answer, really, if you think about it. Sweat, just plain old perspiration. Oh, and mix in a little dirt, perhaps a bit of smoke from warming up the pot this morning, add some damp wool. Sweat or maybe Kouros.
    Would work much much better if you used say ....... Fendi or Francesco Salto instead of Kouros
    but thats only my opinion ....