Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a sensual vetiver

I like the masculinity of vetiver and would like a fragrance that contains it, that is sensual as well. The closest I could come to a sensual vetiver would be L'Occitane's Vetiver. Any suggestions on others?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Looking for a sensual vetiver

MPG Route de Vetiver. If you are looking for a pretty straight up vetiver (I still find it sensual, although it might be a bit too much for some people), then you can't go wrong with Etro's Vetiver. If you like L'Occitane's, then Etro's is something you might enjoy.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Montale Habanita is super sexy, and I think a man could pull it off easily.
    Last edited by Asha; 6th July 2008 at 05:55 AM.

Vetiver Oriental by Serge Lutens.

Vero Kern's Onda is intoxicatingly beautiful.

Encre Noir by Lalique
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

>I can't go past Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire.

I think Ajmc is right with SL'S Vetiver Oriental. It gets closer to "sensual" than many of the rougher vetivers. You're right about L'Occitane's Vetyver, though Leor, that's a decent choice. I think Vettiveru comes close to sensual also, but a really fantastic one in the sensual category would have to be Creed's from 1948. That one just aches with intimacy and closeness.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Dude, you're looking for a "sensual vetiver?" Did you know there's a fragrance called Carolina Herrera Sensual Vetiver? I tried it once and it was pretty good. On my list of things to get. There's also a Refreshing Ginger version of the same scent.

FM Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Annick Goutal Vetiver

Creed Vetiver 1948 is one of the best vetivers ever.

Red Vetyver by Montale. This is a phenomenal fragrance. I've gotten more compliments wearing this than any scent I've ever worn. It is the very definition of "sensual vetiver," IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    Red Vetyver by Montale. This is a phenomenal fragrance. I've gotten more compliments wearing this than any scent I've ever worn. It is the very definition of "sensual vetiver," IMO.
    It took me a little while to appreciate Red Vetiver. Absolutely sexy as hell. I'm also looking forward to Andy Tauer's new Vetiver frag coming out in October.

I've only gotten as far as Lalique's Encre Noire.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Creed Vetiver 1948 is one of the best vetivers ever.
    If it only had any longevity whatsoever!

I was thinking about "sensual vetiver" and today I picked up Herrera For Men-- Sensual Vetiver (and also the Refreshing Ginger version).

It's tough to review them right now because I was already wearing something else, and I was out in the sun today hitting the batting cages and driving range-- these aren't the best scents to try on skin when you're sweating. But my preliminary opinion is that Sensual Vetiver is pretty good-- and it's chock-full of natural vetiver-- not the anemic vetiver acetetate/aromachemicals you find in stuff like KenzoAir. Nope. This is pretty hardcore, earthy, vetiver-- with all of it's lower registers still intact. Both of these scents are really spicy in my opinion, and perhaps maybe a little to much "curry" for something I'd feel completely comfortable in. I'm going to grab a shower and test these out.

Seriously though, they didn't skimp on the vetiver here.

I feel that most vetivers are quite sensual.

I also own Herrera Sensual Vetiver and the name is quite descriptive. It is sensual.

I also feel it is one of the most under appreciated vetivers on BN!

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I was thinking about "sensual vetiver" and today I picked up Herrera For Men-- Sensual Vetiver (and also the Refreshing Ginger version).

It's tough to review them right now because I was already wearing something else, and I was out in the sun today hitting the batting cages and driving range-- these aren't the best scents to try on skin when you're sweating. But my preliminary opinion is that Sensual Vetiver is pretty good-- and it's chock-full of natural vetiver-- not the anemic vetiver acetetate/aromachemicals you find in stuff like KenzoAir. Nope. This is pretty hardcore, earthy, vetiver-- with all of it's lower registers still intact. Both of these scents are really spicy in my opinion, and perhaps maybe a little to much "curry" for something I'd feel completely comfortable in. I'm going to grab a shower and test these out.

Where'd you get this at?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    I feel that most vetivers are quite sensual.

I also own Herrera Sensual Vetiver and the name is quite descriptive. It is sensual.

I also feel it is one of the most under appreciated vetivers on BN!
    I wore Herrera Sensual Vetiver to work today and it was really nice. It seemed to fade from my nose relatively quickly, though I'm sure it was still there--a female boss kept standing close to me all day. I just got back from the gym and sprayed myself down with it since I have to shower anyway, and it doesn't seem to project much-- though new fragrances seem like that sometimes. Also, I think these were released as limited editions back in 2002, so these bottles could be around 6 years old.

Just my quick impression, but the vetiver in Sensual Vetiver is somewhere between Creed Vetiver ('48) and MPG's Route du Vetiver-- gingery with the minerals of the Creed, and just a tad damp, rooty and earthen like the MPG. I really do love the vetiver in this. After wearing it today and sniffing it now, I would definitely say that it is a "sensual" vetiver.

I'm kind of perplexed by the drydown of the Refreshing Ginger. It almost comes off stale, but then again sometimes L'Artisan's Mechant Loup comes across the same way with the sandalwood and tobacco base. If some of you remember the ancient Herrera 212 for Men threads where some said the drydown smells like stale pee, I get a bit of that in this fragrance too-- there ARE some similarities in both of these to 212 Men. I think both of these scents are better for cool weather.

To answer your question Manicboy, I got Sensual Vetiver and Refreshing Ginger at my favorite independent mom and pop fragrance shop at a local mall. I'd seen both of them sitting there the last time, and I decided to go back and get them yesterday-- I assume they're discontinued limited editions and I rarely see them anywhere. I think they can be found through some etailers.

I just have to chime in and suggest Encre Noire. I'm wearing it right now. A friend sent me some Vetiver root from Louisiana and it was remarkable how faithful Encre Noire's rendition of vetiver is. You can just about smell the dirt it's growing in.

And I like that aspect of it.

What about CdG Vettiveru?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I have and love L'Occitane Vetiver, too, and would recommend Etro and Annick Goutal vetivers. Etro is smoky, AG sea-salty.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Three more suggestions for vetivers that keep their rooty character yet are softer are Isabey Vetiver (parfum extrait, very smooth and almost creamy), Hermèssence Vetiver Tonka which combines raw vetiver with an almost gourmandish tonka note, and Chanel Sycomore, which may be the most elegant out of the three.

I still have to try the new Chanel Sycomore but when I've read about sensual vetiver I thought about Idole de Lubin.
    Vetiver is usually something I don't associate with sexyness, but with austerity, with something maybe elegant but minimal. Idole instead has a load of spices and a liqueurous vibe that makes it even sexy.

Reading the suggestions, I guess a lot of people think almost all the "usual suspect" vetivers are sensual.

I don't find any vetivers particularly sensual. To me, sensuality based on a heart of sweetness and warmth. I love vetivers, but I don't think of them as sensual fragrances. They are green, on the dry side, earthy and natural and well, often a bit raw and unabashedly masculine, for the most part, but not sensual, that's not the first word that comes to mind. French Lover is one of the least sensual fragrances I have ever smelled, maybe next to Kouros. They could be sensual, I guess, if one also finds a mens' locker room or a potting sheds romantic.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 9th July 2008 at 02:11 AM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    They could be sensual, I guess, if one also finds a mens' locker room or a potting sheds romantic.
    Well they could be depending on who you are with at the time
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    Reading the suggestions, I guess a lot of people think almost all the "usual suspect" vetivers are sensual.

I don't find any vetivers particularly sensual. To me, sensuality based on a heart of sweetness and warmth. I love vetivers, but I don't think of them as sensual fragrances. They are green, on the dry side, earthy and natural and well, often a bit raw and unabashedly masculine, for the most part, but not sensual, that's not the first word that comes to mind. French Lover is one of the least sensual fragrances I have ever smelled, maybe next to Kouros. They could be sensual, I guess, if one also finds a mens' locker room or a potting sheds romantic.
    I don't define sensual based on sweetness and warmth necessarily. I know this is going off topic from vetivers, but vetiver can smell sensual to me on one person and not another. I have to factor in the person, their chemistry, my mood....hell if they are cute...they could bath in charcoal lighter fluid and I may find them sensual. Encre Noire or Carlo Corinto Vetyver are extremely sensual vetiver frags IMO. Give me someone that smells of the soil and earth anyday, rather than someone smelling like they just were ran over by an ice cream/candy truck.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 9th July 2008 at 03:55 AM.

I find vetiver very sensual. It might not be the most obvious sensual note like animalic notes for example, but that's exactly the point: it is a murky and rather rugged note, not smooth and soft.

What I mean is that a woolly jumper or a tweed jacket can be more sensual than say a leather jacket or a silk shirt, it all depends on the person wearing it.
    Last edited by tigrushka; 9th July 2008 at 08:59 AM.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Basenotes Plus

Tig...you said it perfectly!
    My "go to" vetiver scents are: Chanel Sycomore & the Lubin Magnifiscent mentioned.
    I really want to try Andy's new scent & the Montale GMF likes.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Question Re: Looking for a sensual vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post

I wonder how it compares to Carlo Corinto Vetyver. Any opinions?

I would have to add my vote for SL Vetiver Oriental. A warm, very cozy vetiver.

Regards,

Steve

Today I wore Hermés Vetiver Tonka from a sample (thanks again Mike P!). I think it was my first time really wearing it to work, and I think it's really good. It seems kind of simple, like an earlier sketch of Terre D'Hermes but built on a sugary base. I'd call this one sensual. The way the vetiver comes across in this gives almost a gunpowder smell (same with Terre D'Hermes). It makes me imagine setting off firecrackers that have been glazed with sugar. Strange effect, but it's attractive.

Who has tried Pure Vetiver by Azzaro it smells great only I'm not sure it is the dominant smell,