Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance: Egypt / Morocco / Tunisia

My wife and I are contemplating a holiday in one of the following locations towards the end of the year. Whilst most of the Danes have left the country for the whole summer month of July, we are stuck here working and thus are deferring our vacation.

I would be very interested to hear if any Basenoters have any advice or experiences in any one of the above countries in terms of sourcing essential oils and extracts. I think I remember Noggs posted a great thread about Egypt a year or two ago, but I am wondering if anyone has any updated /recent info or experiences.

Ideally, I would love to learn of specific addresses or streets/alleys which house reputable privately owned perfumeries, as well as maybe some 'big brand' retail outlets in these countries. I would love to stroll the markets or perhaps visit a distillery and find something special.

Can anyone help?
    Cheers team!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 6th July 2008 at 05:34 PM.

Default Re: Fragrance: Egypt / Morocco / Tunisia

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I would be very interested to hear if any Basenoters have any advice or experiences in any one of the above countries in terms of sourcing essential oils and extracts. I think I remember Hoos posted a great thread about Egypt a year or two ago, but I am wondering if anyone has any updated /recent info or experiences.
    Ideally, I would love to learn of specific addresses or streets/alleys which house reputable privately owned perfumeries, as well as maybe some 'big brand' retail outlets in these countries. I would love to stroll the markets or perhaps visit a distillery and find something special.
    Can anyone help?
    Cheers team!
    I've been to Cairo a few times and I've always found the shopping to be abysmal. Most of the decent shopping is in the hotels, but the attars sold there are often created for the tourists and nothing like the great ones sold in the Arabian Oud stores in London and Paris. As far as a great Cairo department store, the 1930's Deco buildings are still there, but they've been abandoned since the Jewish owners fled Egypt. The downtown really is a strange ghost town. Worth wandering through. The covered bazaar is also mostly tourist junk.
    Morocco gives you more of what you are looking for. The old quarter of Fez visually is the real deal, but again, I wonder if the oils sold there are really just synthetics from China.
    Marrakech is quite lovely. The leather tanneries are quite something, that is if you have a strong stomach.
    YSL's Jardin Marjorel is stunningly beautiful; perhaps you can score a bottle of Opium there. Monsieur Lutens has a foundation somewhere in Marrakech.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th July 2008 at 11:07 PM.

In Cairo, I know of two shops that specialize in oud and oils: Abdul Samad Al Qurashi and Arabian Oud. They also have some edt or edp of their own. They are located in a huge shopping center quite far from the downton area. The name of the shopping center is CityStars. Everybody knows it. Both Al Quarashi and Arabian Oud have shops in London and Paris. You will find other perfume shops there but they limit themselves to designer frags.

www.citystars.com.eg/citystars/index.asp
    Abdul Samad Al Qurashi Perfumes & Cosmetics Level 2, #247
    Arabian Oud Perfumes & Cosmetics Level 3, #342

www.alqurashi.ecommerce.hct.ac.ae/branches.htm
    www.arabianoud.com/en02/default.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Apis View Post
    In Cairo, I know of two shops that specialize in oud and oils: Abdul Samad Al Qurashi and Arabian Oud. They also have some edt or edp of their own. They are located in a huge shopping center quite far from the downton area. The name of the shopping center is CityStars. Everybody knows it.
    This place is new since I was last in Cairo. Looks a little soul-less, to me. But, I'm sure it's a god-send to the people of Cairo.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th July 2008 at 04:12 PM.

I went to Morocco last year and have been meaning to start a thread on this little perfume boutique I went to in Marrakech. Les Parfums du Soleil. They don't have a large selection but the perfumes really represent Morocco and the lady working there was really nice and gave me a lot of samples. I ended up buying Mogador, which is great, but I wish I would have bought Soir de Marrakech also.
    The website is:
    http://www.lesparfumsdusoleil.com/fr/index.php

Unfortunately the website is in French. There is a mirror website in English but unfortunately the links don't work, at least not on my computer.

I found this on another website:

Those tantalizing Marrakshi garden scents have been blended and bottled by ethnobotanist Abderrazzak Benchaabane, whose fragrances are drawn from native flora and inspired by Berber aromatherapy principles. Soir de Marrakesh is a sultry stroll through a night-blooming garden, while Mogador brings a coastal breeze with traces of argan oil, Kaffir lime and cedar.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Oooh, I'll have to visit a couple of these places and pick up a bunch of oils on my August trip to Cairo.

Thank you gents for your advice and referrals... this is all extremely helpful

Please keep 'em coming, if anyone else here has more to add.

Some more informations regarding perfume shopping in Cairo.

I remeber seeing a few Amouage and aoud based fragrances (?) at Beymen, a plush shop in the Four Seasons Nile Plaza downtown. The rest of the selection is designer frags.

I have found the best selection of designer frags to be at Faces. Mazaya is OK and has many branches too. There’s a Sephora (in an area called Mohandseen) but the selection is far from complete. Actually, Faces and Mazaya are there too.
    I haven’t seen these three shops downtown. Mohandseen is a taxi ride from downtown. Duration of the ride to vary according to the nightmarish traffic conditions. Mazaya is also in Heliopolis, definitely worth a visit for the architecture.

In City Stars, there are many designer perfume shops. I thought the most interesting was Le palais des parfums. But prices there are higher than the in the Mohandseen shops.