Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Andy Tauer's new Unnamed Vetiver: 1st Impression

Hey Guys. Looks like this is now going to be released Either October 4th or 17th per Andy Tauer website!! He looks like he will once again be in LA releasing this scent at Scentbar/Luckyscentt. This is another scent I forgot about and cant wait to smell. I believe it will be an instant buy as I am a green scent fanatic as well as a Tauer scent fanatic!! I cant wait for this one.

http://www.tauerperfumes.com/blog/
    Last edited by cairomerta; 19th August 2008 at 02:11 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Ah... it begins!
    Dimitri, I don't know if you noticed but I was visiting Andy Tauer's blog today and he cites your blog as one of his daily reads!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by AromaX View Post
    Another problem point may be caused by Clary Sage - it gives a sophisticated twist to the whole fragrance. But it's a tough one - flowery from one side, but medicinal herbal from another. It's pretty good tamed by Andy, but still can turn too medicinal on someone's skin.
    I think AromaX is making a great point.

I was browsing the little spa/gift shop at my gym yesterday afternoon (killing some time, waiting for Ray to take a shower) and I noticed they had some essential oils. I hate smelling already blended oils, because I never really know what is inside the blend. But they had some pure eucalyptus, sage, lavender and another I can't remember. The sage oil was just as described above. Really medicinal yet strongly aromatic (herbal) and it hits the top of your nose. Reminded me of a strongly scented skin balm (like BenGay or something like that).

I've never zeroed in on sage in fragrances. I do remember many years ago, an acquaintance of mine was a massage therapist and she used to burn sage after her massages and I guess I always associated sage with that smell. But of course, sage (in a non burnt state) smells totally different. It's almost like a really, really medicinal lavender.

After all, I could sample Vetiver Dance which I awaited impatiently as I'm not only a Vetiver lover but also appreciate almost all of Andy Tauer's other creations very much.
    But unfortunately I can only confirm JWS's experience: a beautiful, rounded Vetiver at the beginning that turns into a sweaty, cloying note during the drydown on my skin. No trace of Vetiver is left after half an hour, and I can't bear that pungent accord in the end - and it is clary sage indeed, reminding me of a highly toxic lavender mutant.
    There's a similar note in the drydown of Reverie Au Jardin, not as strong as in Vetiver Dance, but still it keeps me from wearing RauJ more often.

Ah, what a disappointment. Maybe Andy will launch another vetiver one day, heavy on the Vetiver and without clary sage... or, even better, the amazing, stunning Hyacinths & the Mechanic ...
    Last edited by Gerald; 19th August 2008 at 04:00 PM.

For anyone interested in sampling Tauer's Vetiver Dance prior to its october launch, please visit my blog using the link below, as I am currently running a small Vetiver Dance competition. More info there.

Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 25th August 2008 at 03:39 PM.

Hi Dimitri. Great opportunity. Thanks for that. I just published a comment. I hope I get an opportunity to win one. I love Andy's work. Great Blog!!

This vacation I was browsing through still unknown fragrances and grabbed for a Gray Flannel I never smelled before. I was really surprised by its resemblance with the white flower accord of Andy's Vetiver Dance. It's not the same (more hyacinth and less pepper), but shows the direction. So, if you want to get an idea about what Vetiver Dance smells like - try layering of Encre Noire and Gray Flannel ;-) I did try it with Vetiver from Guerlain (2 sprays + 1 spray of Gray Flannel) just to give someone a general idea what direction to think about Andy's Vetiver Dance (I didn't have a sample with me). But personally - I still prefer the original ;-)
    Anais Nin: "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
    Link to my perfumery blog: http://aromax-on-line.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think AromaX is making a great point.

I was browsing the little spa/gift shop at my gym yesterday afternoon (killing some time, waiting for Ray to take a shower) and I noticed they had some essential oils. I hate smelling already blended oils, because I never really know what is inside the blend. But they had some pure eucalyptus, sage, lavender and another I can't remember. The sage oil was just as described above. Really medicinal yet strongly aromatic (herbal) and it hits the top of your nose. Reminded me of a strongly scented skin balm (like BenGay or something like that).

I've never zeroed in on sage in fragrances. I do remember many years ago, an acquaintance of mine was a massage therapist and she used to burn sage after her massages and I guess I always associated sage with that smell. But of course, sage (in a non burnt state) smells totally different. It's almost like a really, really medicinal lavender.
    Thanks for your comment. I just see that you are describing the smell of Sage while it's not the same as the Clary Sage. The last one has the similar name to a common Sage, but the smell is very different. Sage is much more medicinal and Clary sage is more floral/white floral.

And to be completely honest - clary sage seems to be something I get from Andy's Vetiver - but I can't say if he really used it of it's a combination of something else I smell like clary sage. He might also use the sage in his fragrance.
    Anais Nin: "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom"
    Link to my perfumery blog: http://aromax-on-line.blogspot.com/

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I received my sample yesterday as well.

I have to say that after wearing it last night, that it is not working for me. Maybe it is the Lily of the Valley or Clary sage, I am not sure at this point. I didn't care for the drydown either. This morning I smelled my wrists and it smelled like a sweaty bottom on me. I want to like this one really bad. I will continue to try it, but the first impression is that I wanted more earthy vetiver. I got more sweetness and floral than I wanted and a sweaty bottom smell at the end.

Hopefully my nose will do a 180 at some point. I am in the extreme minority at this point so maybe my nose is sucking big time.
    I am having the same problem with this one. I do like the opening, but really hate the drydown.

I will try it again, but have a feeling that this one is not going to work for me
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I am having the same problem with this one. I do like the opening, but really hate the drydown.

I will try it again, but have a feeling that this one is not going to work for me
    I hate to hear that. I hated to be negative about it, but it is what it is. Hope that others find it more to their liking for sure.

Damn! I was hoping to be proven wrong with this one (I haven't tried it but, based on most of the lukewarm reviews, the writing's on the wall). Oh, well, maybe next time...