Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Talking Storing Sample Vials - One Man's Solution

Well, there's an interesting and informative discussion in the women's fragrance discussion on solutions to storing vials. Not being too arts and craftsy, I thought the floral frog solution was good. But prices for glass frogs are stupid. Even though I did find a nice black glass one.

Today, while shopping for some antiques and other geegaws, I stumbled across a fantastic solution for me, a guy. It's a truck. One with stars on it!. Only $9.00! Handmade in the USA! And built to hold 64 crayons. Well, what's about the same diameter as a crayon? A sample vial!

It also seems like a good solution to keeps the vials from being exposed to light, and since wood isn't a good heat conductor, it should keep them at a safe temperature on hot days.

Without further ado, I present my Truckload of Smells (40 of 64 spaces filled):

How do you store your vials?
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Default Re: Storing Sample Vials - One Man's Solution

This truck is fantastic! What a great idea. I, of course, being a rather unstructured fellow, use a dish I have in a drawer in the bathroom. Yes, I do a lot of rummaging.

I'M JEALOUS! And tempted ot make one for myself. Now all I need is a drill press, a table saw, and lots of spare time...

I keep my vials in a vial container made for use in laboratories. There's a good selection at www.wheatonsci.com. Be advised that they're pretty expensive, as is all laboratory ware.

Last edited by Snafoo; 9th July 2008 at 01:46 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Blog Entries

Thanks, guys. I am kind of sheepishly proud of figuring it out. I was staring at it in the antique store for a few minutes before the lightbulb went on.

It's actually a perfect fit for my fragrance shelf and is right at eye level. Before this, I'd been storing the vials in plastic lids from aerosol cans and stuffing cotton in any empty space. To keep the vials from tipping over. That was an exercise in frustration. Even when they didn't tip over.

I like your idea, Snafoo. Would never have occurred to me.
    Brent

I was just thinking about this last night. A few ideas:
    - Line the bottom of my drawer with corrugated cardboard to stop them rolling around. Quick and simple, but not very space efficient.
    - Cut up a _lot_ of paper and bind them into one giant structure of doom. It'll fit quite a lot, but it'd take ages to make.
    - Take to a block of styrofoam with a drill. Cheap, shouldn't take more than maybe ten minutes, and space efficient.

Of course these all require me to put in effort and won't look all too nice. I like how you guys found existing things to use. I might have to go down to the mall and hunt down something suitable.

Blog Entries

One cheap option I was thinking of was using florist's styrofoam. Which, I think, is pretty soft - you could just push the vials into it. None of my local florists had any for sale though. There are a couple of places on line that have it, but I'm not sure if it's all the same hardness or not.
    Brent

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    One cheap option I was thinking of was using florist's styrofoam. Which, I think, is pretty soft - you could just push the vials into it. None of my local florists had any for sale though. There are a couple of places on line that have it, but I'm not sure if it's all the same hardness or not.
    I think they have that kind of stuff for sale at arts and crafts stores like Michael's or AC Moore.

I use an inexpensive wooden tea chest similar to the cheapest one shown here:

http://www.englishteastore.com/emptyteachests.html

Dude that rocks!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

That truck 'o smells just rocks my world.