Code of Conduct

Default What's the best way to ship perfumes out of the US?

Let's gather some crucial info here, if this thread needs to be moved you know what to do.
    The main questions are
    Which service do you use to ship perfumes out of the US? What choice exactly first mail, priority, etc?
    What do you write on the customs form? Content and value?
    And something more specific if you can help.
    I am having a friend from New York shipping me a Le Labo discovery set
    http://store.lelabofragrances.com/in...96ca2a5824fe0d
    I suppose it's a little box so an envelope can't be used. I was thinking about telling him to ship it USPS, of course. What should I tell him to write on the customs form? Last time he sent me an envelope with samples and wrote vials or bottles or something like that on the customs form. Everything went ok with first class USPS but I don't like the idea of writing vials on the package, any suggestions?
    I also see that there is a big difference in price between first class and priority. I'll probably need $38.95 for priority flat rate box, right? If I use first class + registered is it an equally good option? It will be much cheaper and I have plenty of time.
    Have a nice day

Panagiotis

Default Re: What's the best way to ship perfumes out of the US?

I, uh, write "glass bottles" in the declaration form. I've heard people use "used toiletries". But that won't stop the post office from opening and going, "yay! free perfume!".

Sur la Plage

You can send USPS Priority without the flat rate. Because if it does not weigh a lot it will be cheaper then the flat rate fee.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Declare it as "non-cosmetic glass bottles" and mark as a "gift" with a value of $20 so you will not be required to pay customs tax. Also, "1st class" is a much cheaper shipping option which is not advertised on the USPS website. It will take about 2 weeks for the package to arrive by 1st class.

I regularly ship scents to a number of UK-based buddies from the B&B (Badger & Blade) shaving forum, via USPS First Class (Int'l) mail. On the Customs form, I list them as "Free samples of shaving soap/cream" (and include a few, just to be "legit"), with a $15 value.

Nary a one of 'em has ever "gone walkabout" on us.

Smooth shaving!

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Declare it as "non-cosmetic glass bottles" and mark as a "gift" with a value of $20 so you will not be required to pay customs tax. Also, "1st class" is a much cheaper shipping option which is not advertised on the USPS website. It will take about 2 weeks for the package to arrive by 1st class.
    Thanks Mike
    I'll use your advice and declare it as "non-cosmetic glass bottles" etc.
    The other times we used simple 1st class and it took 1-2 weeks to arrive which is very good, when I sent something to the US registered it took the same time, so 1st class it is
    Have a nice day

Panagiotis