Code of Conduct

Default 8 blind buys & 8 days & 8 over indulgent Rants

hi guys, i got 8 scents recently which arrived over a week back...all blind buys based on reviews right here on BN...pardon me over my indulgent ranting on this one...for whatever it's worth here it goes..

Gucci PH

WOW! negative reviews?? Common!! give this one a try and it'll not fail you. agreed, the pencilshaving note is far too prominent, but maybe this is not a scent to be enjoyed up close (although i do).

Gucci PH opens with a intense camphory sweet, slightly smoky incense on top of shiny leather notes topped with spicy notes of pepper, ginger and bay (bay note will remind one of Obsession for a second). it is no doubt a sweet incense based scent, with a subtle touch of sandalwood and other "woody" notes...as the sweetness (infamous pencil shaving note) starts to wear off in time, the leather, benzoin, incense n Amber trio works up the smoky sillage...this ones a smoky, spicy, incense based scent with a comforting base of leather and amber..leaving a trail of pure class beyond words.

Like Dior Homme (no similarity in smell), Gucci PH leaves an impression on the wearer...the aspect that i find most intriguing about this scent is the sillage, the magic is in the sillage ..like Dior homme, it has often had me look around the room to see who is wearing that wonderful scent, only to discover it's me.. a masterpiece from Gucci, one that can challenge well known niche ones costing 5 times more.

Patricia de Nicolai - New York

i rarely have an image associated with a scent which i wear for the first time and the Image that came to my mind when i wore this wonderful scent was...gold rimmed revolving door at a plush 7 star Hotel with red carpets flawlessly clean and me, entering this place in the most comforting grey suit, red silk shawl & hat and ofcourse, PDN New york as me Sotd! quite obviously this scent has more to it than my quote above...This one exudes sheer class and maturity in the most relaxed and comforting way.

please dont expect this one to be the run of the mill orientals...NY opens with a muted silence, all i smell in the initial 1 minute is OIL. as the scent starts to settles one is introduced to a clear note of vetiver with bitter variations of citrus and "herbs"...20 minutes into the scent and i get this familiar smell far behind a wall of Pepper, clove, spices and something almost animalic (civet?)...and guess whose lurking behind...Chanel PM! NY definitely shares some key notes with PM, but its only relative, this does'nt smell anything like PM overall.

Now, this animalic note lingers around quite a bit giving off "bitter" powdery touch, almost metallic in nature, this stays on for quite sometime..its clearly as if it's holding back a collage of notes, waiting to burst forward..it's when this animalic note tones down its intensity that this scent reveal yet another character..the well rounded effect of oakmoss along with a controlled but majestic touch of spice and green notes on a steady base of amber, leather.

A must have in any wardrobe..and please don't expect it to be anything like Obsession "kind" oriental. this one's a unique take and for all you know, a very unique scent like no other.

Serge Lutens - Amber Sultan

Sultan - means supreme, the king of desert, a ruler.

..Amber Sultan opens with a "sharp" balm like spicy herbal opening, with a mint like coolness to it reminding one of tiger balm for an instance. Amber in a way embraces this sharp herbal/medicinal notes along with benzoin giving this scent an resinous depth like no other. the intial sweetness and intensity of herbs is beyond words...it's almost fluid and consistent in its sillage exuding smoky bittersweet herbal incense..the mids is where this scent begins to unfold its charisma, where the medicinal(herbal) notes tone down its presense to reveal one of best amber notes that have come across along with hints of vanilla (will remind one of Opium for a second) and hint of patchouli..which gives off a dusty dry feel..this scent evokes true smoke..not the way i experienced with declaration...this ones real...the basenotes is where the woods show up...true Amber..with the gentlest touch of green on the outside along with sandalwood..evoking thoughts of this resins being freshly extracted...one could almost feel true structure of Amber

Amber sultan is one of the most comforting scents out there which has a healing touch, almost like a therapy. the potions that everyone keeps talkin about? the long lost ones? well, this could very well be one of them. this ones herbal, warm, smoky, animalic & rugged. thumbs way up..

Serge lutens - Chergui..

Chergui oh..chergui..im in love with this...imagine a 1000 tea leaves placed over each other with lime skin placed in between every 200 of these leaves..throw in a good measure of hay and slightly dry but still green tobacco leaves...now place genuine leather (used in saddle preferably) on each side like sandwich, it may be worn out in the sun, but it's authentic leather...now place all this in between steel weights a ton each and crush em up...what do you get? juice first, but then oil..every last drop of life, every last drop of life left poured into a bottle and sold at $140 for a 50 ml...do you think it's overpriced...? does anyone still think Serge lutens is an overrated brand? hell no...what an experience this has been...get your bottle while it lasts...this ones not to be missed.

this one will never try to please, its there to give the user an ethreal experience. an experience of another place..a place one has never been. smoky, milky smooth green at first with a sultry leather/tobaco mids & with one of most divine amber with leather and animalic musk basenotes, it at times smells like body odour. like all SL Frags, one spray lasts forever.

Creed Silver Mountain water

first spritz of SMW and i was bowled over by the smell of sweet dry earth, currants, "violets, Tea" and mountain fresh green accords..moving forward the green tea note gets a lil clearer which adds to the overall earthiness of this gem along with musk and a hints of patchouli. Blackcurrant and violets add to the overall feel and character of SMW along with lush tea accords on a steady creed base.

SMW has a very earthy smell (Fullers earth??) on me, almost chalk like quality to it. the smell of slightly damp earth on top of a hilly region where there is no swamp, only fresh water. im not sure if it's just me, but this earthy note in SMW reminds me very strongly of "multani Mithi" or Fullers earth. Mithi in Hindi means Earth or Soil. i think people are referring to the very same note as the "ink jet toner note". ]

i wish i possessed the right words to describe this scent, neverthless, a classic for anyone who admires green earthy scents. all the references to Chrome, CK one, unforgivable (oh please) etal is baseless and holds no relevance.

SMW last over 6 hours on me which is enjoyable, good sillage thereafter.

Creed - Green Valley

beautifully subtle & natural smelling scent which would evoke images in mind, an image of a breezy green valley? Indeed. Very few scents that i have tried have had this kind of Visual image attached, as if it was a scene from memory(dreamtheater? ) I love trekking and us freinds usually like to trek during monsoon time..mainly dense forest 6000 feet above sea level. This scent took me back in time and reminded me of how beautifu these treks were, took me back to the cool mornings, where gentle breeze would gustle past carrying with it the smell of the valley.. far far away from the pollution and chaos.

GV opens with a "subtle" burst of slightly sweet and sour fruits (berries?) tempered with a very controlled citrus & vetiver covered with fresh mint leaves with dew drops still on it. this one stays green, mellow, soft with a caressing touch of violets, never too loud. The mint stays fresh for a long time...the touch of vetiver with hints of moss adds a lil bite towards midnotes which is very relaxing evoking positive vibes...by this time i had reached work, oh yes...all the time while driving, i cudnt take my mind of those beautiful treks...almost an hour and the mint/vetiver/citrus/berries element is still there...there is a certain cooling effect this one has which is very refreshing..past the midnotes, the scent gets a lil stronger and "perfumy"..the tops notes are wearing out leaving clean traces of green notes & vanilla with hints of violets on a lush base of sandalwood and musk, sure to please the wearer and others alike..it's only in the base the scent doesn't smell natural enuff anymore and is a very comforting base of musk, Sandalwood and oakmoss.

lasts good 6 hours on me, thereafter with moderate to decent enuff sillage.

Creed - Erolfa

Another scent which evoked images in my mind. i could almost hear the waves gently waft the boat..the sweet and salty smell of sea with a strong breeze which carries smell from far.. i really cudnt shakedown that image, it was true and pure. i'm totally in awe of how they managed to pull this one of. what in it gives away that feeling of being at sea? not on the beach, but right in middle of the sea with sea weed floating by. an experience not to be missed.

Erolfa opens with loud tart tangerine note which is almost as tangy as your Altoids pellet combined with the smell of melon juice dried off in hand...the citrus elements add a nice bite to the openin with the melon sweetning things up...some might say this is synthetic, but i felt it was just being true to the smell of salt and sea breeze, which is actually sweet, also, a defnite progression to the most enjoyable phase in the scent..."middle in the sea accord"- well within an hour, this scent take a mellow approach, with definite movement and interplay between the notes, notes which fade in and out, as if it were breathing...this is what probably gives this scent the feel of waves, real waves...i really wish this phase lasts forever, but like every good thing, it does fade out respectfully to a dirty base of Sandalwood, Amber, musk and sea weed.

Erolfa lasts over5-6 hours on me with moderate sillage thereafter.

Creed Green Irish Tweed

Well, whenever i come across a new scent, i hope it's something which i have never smelled before, something unique; i didnt get tht feel when i sniffed GIT, same thin happened when i sniffed Chanel PM, but then i thought, maybe the scents im referrin to were inspired by these. another aspect which i noticed only recently was that it was released in 1985, now was'nt tht the era of heavyweights and intense perfumes?

GIT is never too loud and is a classy scent with subtle developments. Though the opening is citrus based, this one's tempered with something very musky sweet, almost powdery quality, somethin in the vain of CK be. Some notes in it, never allows the citrus to add its brightness. the base is again a very comforting musky, ambery drydown. also, something about GIT has a "cooling" effect to it, cant really put my finger on it..

This is definitely for someone who is not looking to gather attention, but will still do in a very nice way. nothing in it can possibly offend anyone, i guess it's in its simplicity of design, comfort and wearability that GIT has won over. is it worth the price, well, very subjective... but i find this one very wearable on a daily basis, something i could comfortably wear in front of my CEO, i only wish i could afford it time to time.

there are some notes in it which is very common used in deodrants, hence the familiarity. similarity to CW lasts for 5 mins and not anythin beyond that, the Violets have been treated with so much finesse and Subtlety here, unlike CW where its loud and brash. so, for those who are not trying this one out thinking it CW, please reconsider. CW is really nowhere close to GIT.

GIT last over 4 hours on me which is enjoyable, thereafter moderate sillage.
    Last edited by jenson; 9th September 2008 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes!!!

Default Re: 8 blind buys & 8 days & 8 over indulgent Rants

Can I have some of whatever you're on?

Congratualations. I love Amber Sultan and like GPHI alot. Give MoslBuddJewChristHinDao a try -- smells like a sperm whale smoking pot with an incense sticking out of the blowhole. (with ambergris around of course)

Personally, I think Bourdon did a better job with CW given the "resources that were availible to him." No, I'm not trying to hijack this post into another CW vs. GIT brawl-fest.. haha.. so I'll stop right here.

Where'd you order from and how much is shipping to India?

jenson,

Fantastic post! You got some incredible scents and it seems like it all worked out magically for you.
    That is outstanding!

That civet is awesome in the PdN isn't it?! To me, I don't really see the comparison to Creed's BdP that many make, especially because of the civet though there are other differences too.
    I think your reviews are spot on. I own and love all of those scents except the Gucci PH but that one is on my to buy list. I commend you on some excellent taste. :-)

I wish you continued enjoyment of these in the best of health!

Eric

Congrats, nice post. Now then, since you hate them all would you like to quickly get rid of them all and sell them to me for half of what you paid?

Thanks so much guys for takin your time out to read this post! i sincerely appreciate it.

moltening: i dont wish to blow my source man!!

tell you what, i got almost full bottles of all from freindly Bners! 90% of them from an angel i met here on BN, RJRober!! i would encourage everyone to approach this gentleman. he is too good to be real. shipping to india costed me $40 for 5 bottles and another $40 for 3 more....btw, i have 5 more coming...4 of the CDG Incense series and Tumulte.

evogel: thanks very much for your notes...!!

s0me0nesmind1: nice try!! but if i sold it for half of what i had got, i would have to give it for free. You dont wanna know how much i paid for the creeds which were 95-99% full and with cap

Just wondering, did you get a good deal on any of these?

EDIT: Didnt see before - but feel free to blow your source on me....
    Last edited by s0me0nesmind1; 9th July 2008 at 07:54 PM.

Blog Entries

That high of a score on blind buys? Vegas is calling you!
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Excellent reviews! Very thoughtful and prosaic.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    That high of a score on blind buys? Vegas is calling you!
    LOL

if there is a website with quality members guiding on how to play cards then, one would rarely loose..

Great reviews Jenson. Enjoyable reading for sure.

Sur la Plage

Great post Jenson! I am glad they all worked out for you - that's always a great feeling.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

sorry for a little break in the topic, but how do some of you folks have bold text and links in your signature? Thanks

I've got to say it's a great post too, Jenson.

Felt great to read your New York review too--that one is a paradise of changes! Few scents shift around and go through as many dramatic acts as that one. A true scent addict's specialty I think. I smiled right away as I read you describing the scent at ten minutes, 20 minutes, and then the length after. My experience with it precisely!

Thanks for the thought and the wonderful decriptions. You must buy blind things and review them every week now!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Great post, jenson. Yeah, and clearly whatever elixir you've discovered, quaff on!

TwoRoads, Barry, Joe, Chris and our friend from Baltimore! thanx very much for the encouraging words and your time . I was only hoping i dont become a laughing stock with post..

Great work jensen. Those are some damn good scents. Makes me miss my Gucci PH, which I left at home and haven't smelled for the last year.

ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Great reviews! I really enjoyed them this afternoon (probably because I agree with them too!) You made me want Chergui even more now!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

8 out of 8 that you're very happy with is excellent going - although when youre buying higher end stuff like that, it's not really surprising.

It gets a bit trickier when going for the lower end stuff that comes up on sale.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    8 out of 8 that you're very happy with is excellent going - although when youre buying higher end stuff like that, it's not really surprising.

It gets a bit trickier when going for the lower end stuff that comes up on sale.
    Regards,
    Renato

well i try to be as educated as possible by following basenotes religiously...and to me..a Burberry London or a givenchy gentleman is as good as Niche...so, i would never let go of something good just becoz it costs less...im very new to this..so, im trying to get my hands on all the classics tht everyone keeps talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I've got to say it's a great post too, Jenson.

Felt great to read your New York review too--that one is a paradise of changes! Few scents shift around and go through as many dramatic acts as that one. A true scent addict's specialty I think. I smiled right away as I read you describing the scent at ten minutes, 20 minutes, and then the length after. My experience with it precisely!

Thanks for the thought and the wonderful decriptions. You must buy blind things and review them every week now!
    --Chris
    That does it! I'm buying New York blind. 20% off certainly helps, hehhee
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Blog Entries

Thanks, jenson - great reviews! Your observations of GIT are so in-sync with mine, I've decided to trust you on all the rest, none of which I have tested. High on my list now is Gucci PH!

Great work jenson ... make sure you rememember to go over to the directory and leave these reviews there as well .
    I just bumped up Guggi PH to near the top .
    cheers .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Dimitrios, Ged - thanks very much for you kind words!

Redneck Perfumisto: oh yes do give Gucci PH a try! awesome scent...i think someone is selling a 50ml for a very good price on BN..actualyl im tempted to pick tht as well..although i have a 100 ml now....ill jump off a building if this one discontinues..

jrd4t: yup! if true leather/amber scents with a real dose of green is your thing, then don't miss this one..
    Last edited by jenson; 10th July 2008 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Give MoslBuddJewChristHinDao a try -- smells like a sperm whale smoking pot with an incense sticking out of the blowhole. (with ambergris around of course)
    RJRober just blew my mind with the samples he added with purchases i made. he also included a good 1.5 ml sample of MoslBuddJewChristHinDao along with 10 other niche ones...and boy, your review is spot on with this one. loved it, but after an hour or so, this turns out to be very very sweet on my skin..as if someone is pouring sugar on me (in a nice way) . neverthless a great scent with definite progressions and amazing longevity and sillage. and yes, it fits right with its theme...the best part was when the Incense made an entry during midnotes, it was as if it never existed...maybve due to the cloudy effect in the intial hour or so....as if in between white clouds...sexy stuff..but $300 for a 50 ml..wow..

Brilliant reviews my friend.....I have chalked these up already as future purchases

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Jenson, you and I speak the same fragrance language... it's kind of scary, don't you think? I was reading and i was like, "yes, yes... yes... yes yes..mhm, yes... andddd.... yeeess!" hahahahaha Seriously, I've been waiting for an update and it was well worth the wait.

Great post Jenson. I've been hovering over Gucci PH for sometime and you may have pushed me towards a purchase. My own blind buys this week were 50/50. Good for you buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by nthny View Post
    Jenson, you and I speak the same fragrance language... it's kind of scary, don't you think? I was reading and i was like, "yes, yes... yes... yes yes..mhm, yes... andddd.... yeeess!" hahahahaha Seriously, I've been waiting for an update and it was well worth the wait.
    my friend, thnx a million!! and hey, im nowhere close to the way you express a scent..your review on Odeur 71 amongst numerous others still haunts me.

FRAGFAN: thanks for reading by...sincerely appreciate your time!

Great post jenson

In response to the GPH review, I was never able to "get" the sweetness. I've tried it many times, and wore it as my SoTD after reading you review. And...I have finally found it amongst the many woody elements! I'm once again glad I've got this one!

Jenson, nice post. Your reviews were really colorful and evocative. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    Great post jenson

In response to the GPH review, I was never able to "get" the sweetness. I've tried it many times, and wore it as my SoTD after reading you review. And...I have finally found it amongst the many woody elements! I'm once again glad I've got this one!
    hey! i'm really glad you re-discovered GPH but, trust only your nose im just a newbie ranting away..

Indie Guy: thnx very much for your time and comments!
    Last edited by jenson; 11th July 2008 at 03:00 PM.

Talking Re: 8 blind buys & 8 days & 8 over indulgent Rants

Quote Originally Posted by FRAGFAN View Post
    Great post Jenson. I've been hovering over Gucci PH for sometime and you may have pushed me towards a purchase. My own blind buys this week were 50/50. Good for you buddy.
    The deed is done. The bottle is on it's way.

Quote Originally Posted by FRAGFAN View Post
    The deed is done. The bottle is on it's way.
    you will feel like million bucks wearing that one. please do let me know your thoughts on it...Thnx for posting by...
    Last edited by jenson; 11th July 2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: forgot to add smiley :)