Code of Conduct

Default Rive Gauche Pour Homme : Too floral or feminine smelling

Hi,

I'm planning to buy Rive Gauche Pour Homme but not sure if its too floral or feminine smelling. Anyone confirm if its not that way and more like fresh smelling fragrance. Thanks!

Default Re: Rive Gauche Pour Homme : Too floral or feminine smelling

Not at all. But it's not fresh smelling if you mean in the style of D&G Light Blue or the trendy aquatics of today. It's aromatic/woody.

RG is the opposite to floral or feminine - it's a classic hairy chested fougere. The first time I smelled it, I was surprised it came out as recently as it did...I could have sworn it was straight from the 70's.

Sur la Plage

In no way, shape, or form is it floral or feminine.

It is an awesome fougere - and women seem to like the way it smells on men. I have had positive reactions when wearing it, and of course some of us have even been bitten when wearing it

Go for it!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

When I first started with fragrances, a mere 5 months or so ago, I was finding that several of the first samples of men's fragrances I tried were feminine smelling to me. Someone suggested then that I try Rive Gauche. Oh my, this ain't no ladies scent.

I do not think of it as fresh at all. In fact, I have it hibernating this summer. Now I suppose if you spray it lightly it could be worn year around and I believe various BNers do just that. For me, it is a Fall, Winter, early Spring fragrance.

One of the best things about RG is that it is very inexpensive.

Good luck!

RG is the most masculine frag I own :O
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I concur with the others; Rive Gauche Pour Homme isn't floral, feminine, or fresh. It is a fougere, herbal and spicy. It has some similarities to Barbasol shaving cream, so some feel it is a "clean" fragrance (fresh?). I find it more "dirty"/sexy.

Just think about it.
    Even Tarzan wears Rive Gauche
    Have a nice day

Panagiotis

Try before you buy, if possible. It's not for everyone...

I like this beginning to end and it is not expensive. But, there is something in this that I react to allergically. What a shame. I'm giving it to my gym buddy who smelled on me and liked it alot. I guess not bites for me on this one. Never smelled feminine to me either. To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    RG is the opposite to floral or feminine - it's a classic hairy chested fougere. The first time I smelled it, I was surprised it came out as recently as it did...I could have sworn it was straight from the 70's.
    Ditto! it's even way too much 70's cliché for my taste, even more than Paco Rabanne PH.

I find it strong and masculine in a very non-70s way. The 70s/80s powerhouses used pungent herbal notes that are fairly muddled whereas RG is a very clean - but strong - distinct scent. It is 70s-ish in the way that it is unabashedly masculine with huge sillage and longevity.

I personally would like to get my hands on the RG Light so I can wear it more places (ie office) without being 'that guy'.

I've only smelled this once and from that experience I can say that Rive Gauche is definitley not feminine, floral, or fresh.
    Last edited by surreality; 11th July 2008 at 09:16 PM.

It's one of the best masculine fragrances available in my opinion. I wear it often.

Dependent

the only male floral based frag that i cant do without is LDIssey PH, if you compare that with RG, you'll realise how wrong it is for RG to be smelling anywhere near floral

Basenotes Institution

Not floral, not feminine - just wonderful.

Try before you buy, unless you can get it for cheap and then you could always just sell your bottle here if you don't like it. Good luck!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd August 2008 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Just think about it.
    Even Tarzan wears Rive Gauche

Man you need to test before you buy /or at least read more Basenotes/ other wise you will have a hard time and a lot of sour moments buying fragrance.

One spray of Rive Gauche to the chest is good for the office. You'll smell clean and masculine, not overpowering.

In my opinion, Rive Gauche PH is anything but floral and/or feminine smelling in fact, although I love and regularly use this frag, there are times when I wish it smelled less earthly, woody or intense (and I'm not talking about the Intense version now, even the regular EDT version can occasionally achieve a record-breaking lasting power and a very pronounced intensity).

If U find RG too floral or feminine, I wonder what u think of frags like Kenzo Power and Prada Amber Pour Homme. Maybe u accidentally tried the woman's Rive Gauche ?
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    If U find RG too floral or feminine, I wonder what u think of frags like Kenzo Power and Prada Amber Pour Homme. Maybe u accidentally tried the woman's Rive Gauche ?
    woman's Rive Gauche doesn't strike me as too feminine, at least these days.

the thread is more than a year old though, I wonder what the OP thinks now.

Um, you guys know this thread was started and pretty much died like over a year ago huh... just saying, the OP has probably finished a bottle by this point!
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I just noticed the date on the posts ! LOL

I really should have looked at the date properly before clicking reply.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by JoNnY 4 View Post
    I just noticed the date on the posts ! LOL

I really should have looked at the date properly before clicking reply.
    Jon, I didn't even remember replying to this thread.

But I think selectively replying old threads are fine, since often many issues/questions in the past about scents tend to be really relevant at any current point.