Code of Conduct

Default A new Chaps from Ralph Lauren

Yes the old Chaps with bull steer in the brown and silver bottle are no more.

I just noticed that Chaps has launched a new scent to replace it - it come in a plain square bottle with a clear jus. A simple blue sticker is place on the front that says Chaps Est 1978.

The scent is very plan remake of the original Abercombie & Fitch - citrus spice.

Default Re: A new Chaps from Ralph Lauren

And of course they're doing this 'cause we really need one more "fresh & clean" scent in the market...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I can't believe there was actually a fragrance called Chaps.
    Makes me giggle.
    Sorry.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    I can't believe there was actually a fragrance called Chaps.
    Makes me giggle.
    Sorry.
    Yes. I brought it. (The one with the bullhorns that is.) It kinda smells wild west-y, but in a very nice, safe clean "perfumey" kinda way, ma'am. I'm still comin' to grips with it. Kinda made me giggle too.

QE

The old one reminds me of the early 80's with that movie John Travolta "Urban Cowboy" - guess back then it was hip to be "cowboy". Times have changed and Chaps needed to update it cologne to the 2000 time frame.

Unless you live in the mid west the "cowboy" look is not hip...: )
    Last edited by scentimus; 8th October 2007 at 12:16 AM.

I won't miss the smell of the old stuff one bit... but I'm sure that there will be some that will be missing it.

As for the reason that Ralph Lauren/L'Oreal brought out a new, modernized Chaps: It's probably because the old one didn't fit the Chaps clothing brand's new "preppy" image. Just go to your local Kohl's and check out the current Chaps clothing line. Then, try to imagine a 21-something guy wearing the clothes from the 2007 clothing line with the 1979 Chaps fragrance.... the two probably wouldn't mesh well. Hence the need for a new Chaps for a new era.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I like the old stuff, but wouldn't go out of my way to buy it. I'll miss it, though -- it works very well on a good friend of mine.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I like the old Chaps too, and don't much like the modern "clean and fresh" ones (all of them). My wife says Chaps smells really good when used has a room freshner, but is too strong on body. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    It's probably because the old one didn't fit the Chaps clothing brand's new "preppy" image. Just go to your local Kohl's and check out the current Chaps clothing line.
    You're absolutely right. Chaps is basically a cheaper Polo line. Not that there's anything wrong with that -- I like the preppy look and Chaps suits are pretty good for ~$130 on sale at Kohl's.

This is a very nice scent.....From what I understand this is exclusive to Kohl's here in the U.S.A. I'm not sure for just how long.....A very nice fragrance.....all of the Niche only lovers will stick their noses in the air and laugh I'm sure.....but that's OK......it's not meant for them anyway.
    Gary

I happened to be in Kohls and checked out the new Chaps this afternoon.... obviously it's nothing remotely like the uber-power scent it's Dad is (which I own for kicks but never wear).

No citrus (even though it says so) and not exactly in the 'fresh' category, either. A somewhat sweet opening - honey sort of sweet - not sickly sweet - that is mixed with some sort of light fruit and what I sense as light leather and musk. After about 20-30 minutes vetiver presents itself as a mildly spicy/earthy counterpoint to the musk. There is another spice note I can't specifically identify. The closest scent I can think of that's similar is YSL L'Homme.

Chaps was nice enough for me to invest $12 in a .5oz mini... the line is cheap ($27/50ml) unlike most of the other fragrances at Kohls, all of which seem to be at least 20% over mall prices.

From the Kohls website:
    Top notes: herbs and citrus.
    Middle notes: cardamom, blonde suede and anise.
    Base notes: musk, patchouli and smoky vetiver.
    Last edited by bbBD; 11th July 2008 at 02:40 AM. Reason: add'l info