Code of Conduct

Thread: Noob overload

Default Noob overload

Hi all. Iím taking the plunge with my first post. Iím new and in over my head Ö I canít stop getting samples! Iím in my late 30ís and as a gift for fatherís day my wife told me to pick a fragrance out for myself. Thatís when the obsessive testing began. In the 90ís I had an Issey Miyake phase (used on special occasions). I also became fascinated by CDG and got Odeur 53. I liked it but it was more an intellectual thing.

My mission: two scents, one for evening/personal time and one for daytime/work. Iím a doctor, so if I ever get comfortable with the idea of wearing something at work, it has to be innocuous, subtle and ďclose to the skinĒ. Iíve gotten a million samples and tested a bunch of things and I canít stop myself from getting more samples. I was hoping to get some guidance on this and advice as to whether I should stop with the samples. Here is some of the stuff Iíve tried:

Millesime Imperial-Enjoyed it the first few times but then I wore it to a wedding and I felt overwhelmed by it. It was like a brass band was playing in my head. I think I like the dry down much more than the opening. SMW and GIT didnít really do it for me either. SMW was almost to pretty and had the same ďvolumeĒ problem.

Creed Original Veviter: Closer to what Iím looking for in a work scent. Not sweet. Clean. Maybe too soapy, but I like it nonetheless. At first it felt too outdoorsy, but now Iím not so sure. It feels right for the summer.

TdH: I like it very much (although a little too citrusy at the start). I feel it may be more of a fall and after work thing. I ended up ordering a set that came with shower gel and shaving cream.

Others I liked: Xeryus, Dreamer, Boie díOrage (French Lover), Angeliques Sus Le Pluie, Fou de Absinthe, M7, CDG 2man

Samples on the way: CDG 3, CDG Odeur 71, CDG Vettiveru, Sel de Vetiver, FM Vetiver Extraordinare, Yatagan, M7 Fresh

Iím thinking of ordering samples of the 4 Escentric Molecule fragrances.

I'll stop here ..
    Thanks!

Default Re: Noob overload

I kinda feel the same way. Over the course of about 2 months, I have obtained *at least* 30 samples (certainly more, but I don't feel like counting them) from varying sources. The thing is, I have slowed down on sampling because there have been a few that really make me smile. And I find it hard to tear myself away from them (okay *IT*), in order to sample other things.

I think it's kind of like buying a house. If you find the right one, you'll know it. Until then, have fun sampling!

Sur la Plage

Welcome to Basenotes!

You are going about things the right way - getting samples and testing out a variety fragrances, and then determining what you want to purchase.

Sounds like you have some good samples on the way.

You may also want to check out some sites like The Perfumed Court (www.theperfumedcourt.com) where you can order some "beginner" sampler packs.

Good luck!

Joe
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

First of all welcome aboard nycmd!
    Then I think you started sampling lots of interesting stuff: for work what comes to my mind is a citrus or vetiver with class and subtlety.
    Some suggestions that come to my mind are
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetiver
    CDG Vettiveru
    Miller Harris Terre de Bois
    Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire (wonderful if on you it's not too overwelming)
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Monsieur de Givenchy
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Mugler Cologne
    L'eau Par Kenzo (applied lightly)
    Parfum d'Empire Iskander
    HermŤs Eau d'Orange Verte
    Armani Pour Homme

For evening/freetime I'd go with something a bit louder and complex so to complete the different purpose
    You already have on the way some nice juices like Xeryus, French Lover, Yatagan. Other suggestions you might like are:
    Ungaro III
    Chanel Egoiste
    Malle's Musk Ravageur
    Penhaligon's Lords/Douro
    Caron Le 3me Homme (The 3rd Man)
    Narciso Rodriguez for him
    Cartier Declaration
    Gucci Envy
    YSL Opium PH
    Knize Ten

Thanks for the great feedback. I ordered some samples/decants from the perfumed court (was hoping they'd show up today). They included the CDG and FM take on vetiver and some of the others you mentioned. I tried Guerlain Vetiver and felt too old or "colgone like" if that makes any sense. It was also the same day day I had Gucci PHII and TdH on my wrist/elbows, so my nose may have been confused. I wanted to like Orange Vert, but the citrus wore off quickly and I felt I was left with something wet, green and mossy. It wasn't bad, just sad. Looking forward to reporting back with more. Does anyone have experience with the escential molecules?

Easy on the M7 at work if that's what you end up buying :-p. Many of Chanel's men's fragrances are great for work.

And where'd you get a TdH set that has shaving cream? Sounds like something I'd like to buy

I've tried Molecule 2 by Escentric Molecules, if you want something that stays close to the skin then this fits the bill. It is a very subtle scent like the smell of clean, sun-warmed skin in an ocean breeze.

I would follow petruccijc's advice. That way you can avoid disappointing blind buys that just collect dust. As for on having only 2 scents... quite an admirable goal. Not sure how realistic it is. Once you enter this dimension it's hard to stop at just 2, or 3, or 5, etc. Not that I doubt your resolve or willpower. You may be the exception to the rule. Nevertheless, enjoy this new found hobby and your stay here. Welcome to Basentoes.

Thanks again for all the great feedback. The M7 is definitely not for work. The TdH pack came from Beauty Encounter.

For work, I'd suggest you try Guerlain L'Instant pour Homme. It is a beautiful scent but subtle and stays close to the skin while lasting all day. You definitely need to try wearing it for a day to get the full effect, even on my arm, I didn't really get a feel for it.
    For evening, I wouldn't know what to suggest, do you want strong, light, green, spicy..?

As a medical doctor, I suspect you would want, for work, something subtle but classy, something unobstructive but memorable.

I would recommend:

Chanel pour Monsieur
    Bulgari pour Homme
    Bleecker Street

Enjoy your search and discoveries.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

I would suggest that you stay away from the Escentric products. All four of them give me physical reactions which are reapeatable and not imagined. The heavy doses of Iso E Super from the 01 series starts an almost immediate headache which takes a turn for a migraine if i do not get away from the scent. It just so happens that Terre d"Hermes uses this as the primary ingredient. And as for the 02 series, the sensation is that of taking a noseful of ammonia--intense burning in the nose and sinuses. This ingredient I have smelled in: Caron pour un Homme, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa, Dirty English, Parfum d"Empire Iskander...to name a few.

Just imagine if you are wearing one of these fragrances and you have a patient who has similar reactions to me...it is probably not "good" even if you can point to data and tell me that people like me are in the minority. To be honest, I am sure people will become increasingly sensitive to chemicals in the environment, so I am glad you are considering carefully because your choices can cause some serious discomfort for people who may be in a health-compromised situation and likely more sensitive to this sort of thing.

Dependent

Bvlgari Extreme is in my opinion the epitome of a multi-occasional scent that is great both for day and night.... and could do well in a formal gathering as well