Code of Conduct

Default Tips wanted on Layering..

Help wanted on best ways to layer dcents specially if you want to use a scent like Shalimar or Opium pour femme, and need to overpower the "top floral" notes and make'em more wearable..do we have an expert on the board?

Default Re: Tips wanted on Layering..

firstly, im no expert..so im posting here with lil reluctance...secondly..im not a big fan of layering two scents...however, wht i like to do sometimes is, rub lil sandalwood oil tht i got from Mauritius on my forearm and then spray on lagerfeld classic as my Sotd...the whole idea is to look up the scents basenotes then source one of the basenotes tht you like and follow the above procedure...maybe it'll work for ya...
    Last edited by jenson; 11th July 2008 at 05:28 PM.

I am against layering proper fragrances. I feel that the scent should stand on it's own as an artistic statement. If it doesn't strike me as complete, I don't want it.

That said, if one is going to layer, I would follow what Jenson has mentioned and trace a prominent basenote back to an essential oil and maybe boost the scent that way.

Certain lines claim they were meant to layer. I know Creed has blends that they give their blessing to and I think Bond 9 will do this at their locations as well. I have a strong feeling that these scents were not developed for this purpose, it's just a way to get one to buy more juice and make more money for the company.
    I will admit that some of the Creed blends are quite nice.

I think this comes down to personal preference to be honest. My favourite layering is Gucci Homme I with Obsession misted over the top. It sounds vile I know, but smells amazing.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I think this comes down to personal preference to be honest. My favourite layering is Gucci Homme I with Obsession misted over the top. It sounds vile I know, but smells amazing.

Actually seems like a good idea as you subdue the harsh top notes of artemisia and pimento from Gucci.