Code of Conduct

Default Chrome vs. Cool Water

Hello all,

An interesting thing happened today after I asked my wife how my new bottle of Chrome smelled on me. She smelled, had a positive reaction, and then stated that it "smells like Cool Water."

Cool Water has been one of my signature scents for quite a while now, and I personally find it to be nothing like Chrome. So what gives...is my wife's nose broken, or is she smelling some similarities that I fail to notice?

By the way...I've sampled Chrome many times before, and it's been on my "wish list" for quite some time now. However, after finally purchasing a bottle (fortunately, a small one,) it just didn't seem to be as good as I remembered. Ever had a similar experience?
    Doctor, doctor...what is wrong with me...?

Default Re: Chrome vs. Cool Water

They both were made about the same time I think, but Chrome has a metalic note to it and is much less sharp on the opening..

I also think that Chrome and CW are nothing alike. What may be happening there is that your wife's nose is rather untrained when comes to smell masculine scents... a few months back I was just as blind for feminine scents... It takes a while to develop the experience to distinguish the differences between EDTs. Then again, another rather improbable possibility is that your skin may actually make the two fragrances smell similar?

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    I also think that Chrome and CW are nothing alike. What may be happening there is that your wife's nose is rather untrained when comes to smell masculine scents... a few months back I was just as blind for feminine scents... It takes a while to develop the experience to distinguish the differences between EDTs. Then again, another rather improbable possibility is that your skin may actually make the two fragrances smell similar?
    I think that you may be onto something with the "untrained nose" thought. I completely understand this as well because I am beginning to notice a whole lot going on in men's cologne, vs. women's perfume which all tends to smell quite sweet/flowery/musky to me...seems like there's quite a few less variations but I know this to be far from the truth. My grasp of women's fragrances will come with time!

I'm not so certain that my skin makes the scents (Chrome and Cool Water) smell similar, though...although I like the theory and it probably applies for many people with different scents, to me the two scents smell completely different. Obviously the Cool Water is near-prototypical "aquatic scent", smooth and mellow, where to me, Chrome is just that...shave off some chrome tailpipe into a bottle and you've got Chrome. Spicy, well-projecting scent that just isn't much like Cool Water.

I think your wife is confusing Cool Water with CK One.

Green Irish Tweed is the original Cool Water and will make you forget about all that other junk.

or maybe, just maybe, what she's been identifying as "cool water" is actually your body odor.. so even though you change to Chrome, her nose still detects the "cool water scent" on you, which is actually YOUR scent..

just a crazy thought..

ha ha body odor, ha ha

Interesting how you compare Chrome (The Guide = 1 Star) with Cool Water (The Guide = 5 Stars).

I own both, but have always greatly preferred Chrome.

After reading your post I sprayed them on each hand. I could tell them apart easily enough, but in terms of effect on my nose from close up, they did strike me as being more similar than dissimilar.

These two scents often get very different descriptions.

The Guide describes Chrome as a watery citrus, whereas I've always thought of it as a lavender citrus. But quite a few people here over the years have disputed that Chrome is a citrus at all.

By way of contrast, The Guide and numerous other sources have Cool Water as an aromatic fougere or fresh fougere scent. Yet many people here have posted that they see Cool Water as an aquatic/ watery scent.

Thus, depending on which parts of the two scents your wife is focusing on, it is unsurprising she may find them similar.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 12th July 2008 at 07:18 PM.

Chrome to me isn't bad but it is metallic, synthetic and has an alcohol feel to it.

Cool Water is fruitier to me

I don't see any similarities.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Green Irish Tweed is the original Cool Water and will make you forget about all that other junk.
    Yeah, unfortunately not all of us can afford to spend the amount of money it takes to get a single bottle of Creed perfume. So until I get through college and get that nice degree that says I deserve more money, I'll be wearing "all that other junk."

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Amused*to*Death View Post
    Yeah, unfortunately not all of us can afford to spend the amount of money it takes to get a single bottle of Creed perfume. So until I get through college and get that nice degree that says I deserve more money, I'll be wearing "all that other junk."
    Been there! I was once a graduate student living on rice and beans. But don't sweat it. There is light at the end of the tunnel. And some of that "other junk" is really good. Hell, out here in Los Angeles (don't know about the rest of the country), you can pick up a 50ml bottle of Gucci Envy For Men at Long's Drug for about $25. Some of the stores have it stacked like cord wood in the fragrance cabinets. Others might disagree, but I think Envy is the equal of many fragrances costing $100+ for a similar sized bottle.

... and you can always buy decants from folks.

Concerning Azzaro Chrome, I find it too weak. I have dry skin, and it blows off me in about an hour. And I don't find the scent noteworthy enough to have to reapply it that often. Now, Azzaro Chrome Legend is another story entirely. Great longevity, sillage, and smell. I almost bought a bottle of this after going through a sample vial, but ended up getting Profumum Acqua di Sale instead.

Davidoff Cool Water is obviously a classic, and I have used it in the past. I do not subscribe to the school of thought which says that a fragrance's worth is weakened by a long history of common popularity (e.g. Acqua di Giò). Cool Water lasts much longer than Chrome, probably on everyone, and it is a beautiful aquatic. However, there is a slight something in the drydown of Cool Water which bothers me. It's a sort of sharp pungency that takes away slightly from an otherwise great scent. It didn't stop me from wearing it, but it did bother me.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 12th July 2008 at 10:19 PM.

Chrome and Cool Water are nothing alike to me either.... I would pick Chrome anyday over Cool Water because Cool Water does not last on me at all....Cool Water is a very nice scent, but the staying power on me is zero.
    Gary

I don't think they're alike at all.

If I had to pick between one of them, I'd probably wear no frag at all. But Chrome is probably the better one of the two.
    Last edited by Aaron01; 12th July 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Chrome smells nothing like Cool Water.
    Chrome is also way better...

both smell quite different to each other...i'd prefer Chrome over CW anyday.

well one of the reason one could think they are similar is, if they are refering to the opening notes. scents often project in a way very different from what the user perceives...its possible tht openin notes of CW carry of some smell similar to Chrome...CW changes its track altogether from mids...

to me Chrome classifies as niche. it's an amazing release and to me, it's a landmark and an remarkable acheivement in perfumery. the way notes interplay with each other is with such amazing clarity, zing, Effervescence and possesses the capability to shake you up "fresh". the mere thought of applying it after shower brings on a smile. and about the lasting..wow, it has stuck on me thruout a swelterin afternoon out in the sun, sweating profusely, but this one refuses to die out, instead it mixes with sweat and gives off a fresher feel, sorta like a filter.

and who would notice that this amazing concoction has tea notes with blunt lemon spiked with bitter orange rounded off with a musky cloud which gives this gem a powdery, transparent, clear smell with a hint of wind with metallic overtones

Coolwater on the other hand from midnotes is quite unbearable for me. i hate to say this but it starts stinking from mids....

i by now have got introduced to Serge Lutens, 5 of the Creeds, and other so called Niche brands, and i wish they had released this gem. but they didnt, this was god's gift for common people like me...

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Coolwater on the other hand from midnotes is quite unbearable for me. i hate to say this but it starts stinking from mids....
    Something just short of unpleasant starts to happen to Cool Water when it starts getting into drydown. It's still tolerable, and it's really hard to describe (kind of a sourness), but it's interesting to see that others have experienced this too.

Too much splaining.
    She thought it smelled clean and fresh,
    and the only suitable men's reference that came to mind was Cool Water.
    Think nothing of it.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 16th July 2008 at 01:10 AM.

To the general public, all fresh scents smell alike. Chrome has a nice floral accord that isn't present in CW. But most people wouldn't pick up on that.