Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: King of Classics a Poll, , Choose more than one, PLEASE VOTE!

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • Acqua di Gio

22 9.57%
  • Antaeus

56 24.35%
  • Aramis

36 15.65%
  • Azzaro PH

36 15.65%
  • Chanel pour Monsieur

61 26.52%
  • Cool Water

28 12.17%
  • Chrome Azzaro

6 2.61%
  • Drakkar Noir

26 11.30%
  • Eau Sauvage

73 31.74%
  • Fahrenheit

33 14.35%
  • Égoïste / Platinum'Égoïste

58 25.22%
  • GIT

46 20.00%
  • Habit Rouge

65 28.26%
  • Kouros

58 25.22%
  • L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme

16 6.96%
  • Polo

37 16.09%
  • Pour un Homme Caron

34 14.78%
  • Tabac

13 5.65%
  • Vetiver Guerlain

76 33.04%
  • Zino Davidof

28 12.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Poll: King of Classics!

Select one or more of your favorite classic male scents out of the 20 choices, I know there are other classics but the max no. I could have was 20.
    Last edited by afraafra; 24th July 2008 at 08:49 AM.

Default Re: Let's find out the King of Classics, a Poll

You coulda left out a bunch and slid in Creed's Bois du Portugal. I mean it's only got 59 positive reviews and only 2 negatives on Basenotes directory. It also won fragrance of the year. It can't possibly get more classic than that as a real world testimony. Anyway, I can tell you that if you want compliments from hot women, look no further on your list than GIT and Kouros. The rest can go in the trash.

If you're going to have BdP then you'd have to include Heritage, simply because there are many, myself included, who think it's better than BdP.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    If you're going to have BdP then you'd have to include Heritage, simply because there are many, myself included, who think it's better than BdP.
    Actually I had Heritage in but at the last minute had to delete it to keep to 20 choices...as to BdP it is undeniable that it is a classic but a little niche I think and inaccesible to the masses.

Too bad the reviews on Basenotes state otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Too bad the reviews on Basenotes state otherwise!

There can be a pack mentality sometimes you know. I've yet to be sold on any Creed so far.

I've tried BdP many times and just think that Heritage whips its backside to Heaven and back. Sorry!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

There can be a pack mentality sometimes you know. I've yet to be sold on any Creed so far.
    And I too shall never own a Guerlain. Too feminine for my tastes!

Blog Entries

There is nothing feminine about Heritage though! :-)

Although, I prefer the smoothness of BdP over the edginess of Heritage so much so that I could even justify the price difference.

Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

With the greatest respect, there is nothing feminine about Heritage. Would you therefore argue that Guerlain Vetiver is feminine? That opens up a whole world of debate...

One good thing out of the above discussion re Heritage and BdP, was for me to look for Heritage to try as I cannot get BdP here.

I voted for Habit Rouge. A year round classic. I didn't see Chanel PM, I would have also voted for that one. I would have added Hermes Eau d'Hermes and Heritage, but otherwise, your list seems to have all the Macho Monuments on it.
    I've noticed that the "classics" seem to be having a resurgence here on Basenotes.
    Polls are fun.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th July 2008 at 06:08 PM.

If all of those frags were lined up on my dresser (and they are, except the Caron & Tabac), I would instinctively choose Kouros, Habit Rouge and Antaeus. (In any order.)
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I didn't see Chanel PM, I would have also voted for that one.
    I did see it - it's the fifth on the list - and voted for it.
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I limited myself to just one pick. Hard to do as there are certainly more than a few great frags listed.

But if I absolutely had to grab just one from the list it would be Habit Rouge, and it would be the EdC edition of that classic.

edit:

I definitely want to trash pick samplermike's garbage..
    Last edited by kbe; 13th July 2008 at 02:29 AM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Default Re: Let's find the King of Classics, a Poll, pls choose more than one.

I miss my buddy Yatagan on that list!

I voted for several, but if I had to pick one it would probably be a bun fight between Platinum Egoiste and Guerlain Vetiver, with the Chanel probably just edging it.

Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste belong on separate lines.

Please do not think that one is just a stronger version of the other. They are completely different fragrances with Egoiste, imo, being the better of the two. Egoiste is the only one that I consider to be a classic. Platinum Egoiste is just a parvenu in comparison.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Égoïste & Platinum Égoïste are two different fragrances. (Now it's my turn to do some correcting!)

I voted for: Chanel pour Monsieur, Eau Sauvage, & Habit Rouge

I have both the Egoiste's and prefer Platinum Egoiste overall as I think it's more versatile, daytime, formal and evening fragrance.

And yes, strictly speaking they should be on separate lines, but let's not be too pedantic!

Female opinion, and noob at that! Had to vote for Habit Rouge. Even the name is just awesome. And the scent....mmmmm

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Nothing I wear receives more compliments from women than Polo. From young women to the cougars - all women comment positively on Polo. I dare say Ralph Lauren made his best on the first try...

I know that basenoters will not vote Gio in as a classic.....Doesn't matter to me.....It's a classic and it doesn't matter to me if people agree or not......It's hard to argue with success.
    Gary

Blog Entries

Guerlain Vetiver getting the most votes? Come on guys! We've got Aramis, Antaeus, Habit Rouge, Eau Sauvage, Kouros, Por Monsiuer and Egoiste in the list too!

Of course what does it really mean when you say 'classic'? This will of course be the ultimate source of controversy. From the composition of the list, it looks like it's being defined as 'long-running production masculine fragrances with commercial success/popular name recognition'. I personally think Moustache by Rochas is a classic (but it's never really had popular name recognition). With only 20 options we could all probably think of one or two that could be substituted, but overall it's a pretty good list of options.

Yatagan should have been included.

SC, CA, NV- Who knows where I'll be next?

I only voted for Eau Sauvage because Bois du Portugal was not on the list. Then I realized that BdP has ascended beyond Kingly status. It is now REX (Emperor if you prefer) The King of Kings.
    It is hard to understand why some on the list were mentioned. While some are nice and others are popular a King is neither. A King simply is. That sums up BdP.

If I could vote, Antaeus, Égoïste, Habit Rouge and Caron Pour un Homme would get my vote. But since Platinum Égoïste would definitely not, I can't vote.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    If I could vote, Antaeus, Égoïste, Habit Rouge and Caron Pour un Homme would get my vote. But since Platinum Égoïste would definitely not, I can't vote.

They ARE completely different scents and I should have chosen one of them, but go on and vote!

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    They ARE completely different scents and I should have chosen one of them, but go on and vote!
    OK, as long as my vote is counted for Égoïste only.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Default Re: Let's find the King of Classics, a Poll, (pls choose more than one)

From the way things look, if Egoiste was on a separate line it could have had a better vote, also Yatagan , BdP, Heritage, jicky, Dior Homme, Obsession Ck , Eternity Ck, could have been on the list.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - Nothing I wear receives more compliments from women than Polo. From young women to the cougars - all women comment positively on Polo. I dare say Ralph Lauren made his best on the first try...
    I agree - Polo is a true classic. It's almost like "kleenex" - back when I was younger, people would smell something better than drug-store grade and immediately ask if it was Polo. Even my son reacted immediately and strongly the first time he smelled it as a teen.

I think that the poll seems to reflect who it's being given to - Basenoters. Notice how it's fairly evenly spread - almost random, and not terribly skewed toward anything. They're all, indeed, Macho Monuments, but nobody seems to be running away with it, despite past or present commercial success. I think that if you gave it to my generation, and the general population instead, you would see Polo spiking. Change that to more recent folks, and Acqua di Gio would be King. The big commercial successes of each era would be hailed as the classics. But BNers aren't fooled by $$$ - they want ♪♫♭♮♯. So we see GIT and BdP (unheard of by most) being debated as more deserving of being on the list.

Maybe SMM can make heads or tails of things.

I think the restriction to 20 is impacting things severely. But still a very enjoyable thread!

Default Re: King of Classics! a Poll, (pls choose more than one)

Great thread. I'm happy and able to vote for the ones on the list that I think rate top of the classics status. From the ones listed it's easy to pick great ones, and it's also hard to not pick three-quarters of the list. I voted for five or six myself, but could have voted for twice that many.

I like Egoiste like everyone does, but I don't find it interesting enough to be a top of the classics choice for me. Smells really great for sure, but it isn't really involved--which is what usually makes a classic for me.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Heritage is certainly not feminine. It does have more vanilla than BdP, but besides that they're very similar in scent.

Default Re: Choosing the King(s) of Classics! a Poll, (pls choose more than one)

Does anyone else think Heritage is similar to BdP?

Default Re: Choosing the King(s) of Classics! a Poll, (pls choose more than one)

How can this list not include

GIORGIO BEVERLY HILLS
    PATOU POUR HOMME
    VERSAILLES
    PACO RABANNE

and many others !
    Perhaps its best looked at as a quarter final , with another 20 or so frags still in the running .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

from tht list, imho, it has to be Drakkar Noir & Eau Sauvage. every generation has heard about it and will keep hearing about it, it is accessible, and it smells great!!

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios;1259350[B
    Perhaps its best looked at as a quarter final , with another 20 or so frags still in the running .[/B]
    Yes, we need a playoff system!

FCS - Fragrance Championship Series
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Yes, we need a playoff system!

FCS - Fragrance Championship Series
    I second that
    Well you can name another 4 Petruccijc .
    & others can chime in until we have another 20 .
    Then either you or I can list the FCC part2 .
    I beleive we should possibly run a 3 & 4th if required & pick the top 5 or 6 from each group to make up a true KING of KINGS . !!
    It sound like a good idea .
    We have 10 or so already mentioned for the next playoff .
    Nominations for the next poll please
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 13th July 2008 at 12:36 PM.

SALES

I chose Guerlain Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver and Caron pour un Homme. Since we were looking for classics I was considering things like whether the scent was the best in class. For Vetiver and Caron they are probably the best vetiver and lavender scents for men. I picked Habit Rouge because it comes off as the most versatile of all the scents nominated. The Swiss Army Knife of this group. I would wear Habit Rouge in any weather to any venue and that defines a classic to me.
    I admire and wear almost all of the other scents except for Azzaro Chrome which I haven't worn and Drakkar Noir which does not play well on my skin.
    It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out at the end.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Maybe SMM can make heads or tails of things.
    Make sense of things? I barely make sense of my breakfast on a daily basis.
    Needless to say I am interested in these numbers and I am commenting on the numbers as they exist at 7:55AM EST on July 13th.
    I am not surprised to see Guerlain Vetiver and Habit Rouge at the top of the pack. There is a lot of support amongst the community for those scents.
    The next two Kouros and Antaeus are almost flip sides of a coin. Antaeus got a lot of wears when the weather was cooler and Kouros didn't get a lot. The weather has warmed up and now Antaeus hasn't seen a lot of wears but Kouros has jumped up. So you can see where members would see both as classics one for the fall/winter and one for the spring/summer.
    The amount of support for the next three surprises me a little. Eau Savage, Chanel pour Monsieur and Egoiste all get decent support but I am extremely surprised to see them outpolling Green Irish Tweed by such a large margin. Before I clicked on submit my choices my prediction for the top 5 would have included GIT.
    That Chrome Azzaro and Tabac are at the back of the pack are not surprising. L'Eau de Issey being back there is a little surprising as I would've expected that one to do at least as well as Acqua di Gio which it is but I'd expect them both to be a little higher. The rest of the candidates all pretty much occupy the middle ground I would expect them to.
    There you go my Redneck Perfumisto friend.
    Now I have to go back to figuring out whether its yogurt or oatmeal or eggs and what that all means for my day.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 13th July 2008 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I second that
    Well you can name another 4 Petruccijc .
    & others can chime in until we have another 20 .
    Then either you or I can list the FCC part2 .
    I beleive we should possibly run a 3 & 4th if required & pick the top 5 or 6 from each group to make up a true KING of KINGS . !!
    It sound like a good idea .
    We have 10 or so already mentioned for the next playoff .
    Nominations for the next poll please

Dimitrios
    Great idea, I wish I had thought of this idea before so that the first 20 would not be so strong, now it maybe unfair for the second group, but anyhow you can easily come up with another 20 classics easily..
    AFR

Does anyone else think Heritage is similar to BdP?
    Don't want to change the topic but . . .
    Yes, I think it is quite similar. There are some good threads comparing these to each other here on Basenotes in the past year. Heritage emphasizes vanilla and amber smootheness more than BdP and they are definitely in the same category of scent. Patricia Nicolai New York is also very similar with stronger use of oak moss in the finish. These scents all followed each other onto the market and were all inspired by the uniqueness of Bois du Portugal which came out first then a year later by New York a year after that Heritage arrived. Each is different enough from BdP to not be considered a knock off - but inspired by BdP - yes. They are all masterpieces and the best that each of these houses have done for men. In my opinion all three are Classics!

My favorite is Guerlain's Habit Rouge. I love the animalic drydown.
    Last edited by silverbullet; 13th July 2008 at 02:51 PM.

It looks as though Habit Rouge and Vetiver Guerlain will fight it out, but I have a feeling Egoiste would have had a lot more votes if it was not on the same line as Platinum Egoiste.

Havana, JHL, AdP Colonia, Vintage Tab, & No.88 should all have a place on this list, imo...
    Last edited by KMF; 13th July 2008 at 05:35 PM.

It looks as though Habit Rouge and Vetiver Guerlain will fight it out, but I have a feeling Egoiste would have had a lot more votes if it was not on the same line as Platinum Egoiste.

I think it wouldn't get that many votes without the PE.
    Last edited by nova; 13th July 2008 at 08:05 PM.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, cause those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

This is more fun than a horse race; I'm also cheering on Habit Rouge!

Blog Entries

We should put a limit on the number of fragrances you can chose. If we had to chose a maximum of 3 or even 5 from the list, I doubt Vetiver would be running that high, or Chrome would have gotten a vote it got!

I am surprised by the number of votes for Egoiste. We are talking MEN'S cologne here. I get nothing but flowers from Egoiste. Surely everyone can't be blind to this fact.

classics should be better defined and people should be less biased. Acqua Di Gio is a classic that still outsells outstanding scents that are brand new. If that's not the king of classics I don't know what is. I'm not very fond of it and I don't wear it, but I still accept the fact.

Are you asking Basenotes Classic?

Perfume History Classic?

General Public Classic?

Where's OLD SPICE?! Brut? Enlish Leather, Grey Flannel, Jovan Musk? less Classic than GIT and BDP? I don't think so!
    BDP is what, 20-25 years old? And if you consider the distribution it has had, it is hardly a classic, no matter how much BN likes it. In fact, I bet BdP is this appreciated only here in BN. Obsession for men is just as old (1 year older) and better known. GIT, yes, it was the first one, but the classic is CW.
    Last edited by irish; 14th July 2008 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Are you asking Basenotes Classic?

Perfume History Classic?

General Public Classic?

Where's OLD SPICE?! Brut? Enlish Leather, Grey Flannel, Jovan Musk? less Classic than GIT and BDP? I don't think so!
    BDP is what? 20-25 years old? and if you consider the distribution it has had, it is hardly a classic, no matter how much BN likes it. In fact, only BN has so many enthousiast of BdP. Obsession for men just as old (1 year older) and better known. GIT, yes, it was the first one, but the classic is CW.
    True but Aqua Velva outdates them ALL. And Turin gives it 3 stars. Gotta LOVE the Velva.

Cheers,
    Ali
    Last edited by anak; 14th July 2008 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    True but Aqua Velva outdates them ALL. And Turin gives it 3 stars. Gotta LOVE the Velva.

Cheers,
    Ali
    I also though about Aqua Velva and many other bayrum based After Shaves. Even though they are scented I though that their main function is still as an After shave, not as a cologne. OS and Brut do have a cologne version that sells very well.

That said, it is The Best alcohol based After shave.
    Last edited by irish; 14th July 2008 at 01:10 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Not a valid poll without Aramis Havana. Please check the directory comments.

We know have enough mentioned to make up the FCC playoff part 2 , as soon as this poll finishes .

SALES

I am surprised by the number of votes for Egoiste. We are talking MEN'S cologne here. I get nothing but flowers from Egoiste. Surely everyone can't be blind to this fact.
    Trolling again, eh?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Trolling again, eh?
    I've always found when trolling if you keep using the same bait eventually the fish don't bite.

Blog Entries

Mike,
    If Egoiste is not a men's scent because it is seemingly too floral for you, then I dread your opinion for the likes of Givenchy Insense :-)

And besides, since when the absence of any floral elements became the staple of machismo? For centuries, rose and lavender have been essential ingredients of any perfume depending on the continent (lavender more so in the west and rose more so in the east). Unless you have discovered the meaning of machoism in this age of metrosexuals?:-)

Actually, we're all blind; this is the Wertheimer Mole Board.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th July 2008 at 03:24 AM.

These could all be used in the next stage of the Poll, though I suggest we put a minimum age limit like 13 years or more on candidates..

Bois du Portugal - Creed (1987)
    Chanel Pour Monsieur - Chanel (1955)
    Chergui - Serge Lutens (2001)
    Musc Ravageur - Frédéric Malle (2000)
    Terre d'Hermes - Hermes (2006)
    Jicky - Guerlain (1889)
    Tabac Blond - Caron "!" (1919)
    L'Homme Sage - Divine (2006?)
    Fumerie Turque - Serge Lutens (2003)
    Millésime Impérial - Creed (1995)
    Green Irish Tweed - Creed (1985)
    Dior Homme - Dior (2005)
    Antaeus - Chanel (1981)
    Carnal Flower - Frédéric Malle (2005)
    M7 - YSL (2002)
    Vétiver Extraordinaire - Frédéric Malle (2002)
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer (2005
    Knize Ten - Knize (1924)
    Jaïpur Homme - Boucheron
    Eau Sauvage - Dior (1966)
    Voleur de Roses - L'Artisan Parfumeur (1993)
    Opium EDT (1995)
    Santal Noble - Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    Havana - Aramis (1965)
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Fahrenheit - Dior (1988)
    Bulgari Black - Bulgari (1998)
    Black Cashmere - Donna Karan (2002)
    Envy - Gucci (1998)
    Ungaro I - Ungaro (1991)
    Noir Epices - Frédéric Malle (2000)
    No. 88 - Czech & Speake (1981)
    New York - Patricia de Nicolai (1989)
    JHL - Aramis (1982)
    Angel men - Thierry Mugler (1996)
    Ambre Sultan - Serge Lutens (1993)
    Himalaya - Creed (2002)
    Patou pour Homme
    Jean Patou (1980)
    Rive Gauche pour Homme - YSL
    Vintage Tabaróme - Creed (1875)
    Timbuktu - L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Tea for Two - L'Artisan Parfumeur
    Silver Mountain Water - Creed (1995)
    Rose Poivrée - Different Company (2001)
    Philosykos - Diptyque (1996)
    Heritage - Guerlain (1992)
    Cuir de Russie - Chanel
    Dzing! - Artisan
    Gucci pour Homme
    Habit Rouge - Guerlain
    Vetiver - Lorenzo Villoresi
    Third Man - Caron (1985)
    Nino Cerruti - Cerruti
    Neroli Sauvage - Creed
    Mechant Loup - L'Artisan
    Escada Homme - Escada
    Eau Noire - Dior
    Derby - Guerlain
    Daim Blond - Serge Lutens
    Caron Pour Un Homme - Caron
    Bulgari pour Homme - Bulgari (1995)
    Blue Amber - Montale (2005?)
    Avignon - Comme de Garcons (2002)
    Uomo - Lorenzo Villoresi
    The Dreamer - Versace
    Sélection Verte - Creed
    Sables - Annick Goutal
    Royal English Leather - Creed
    R de Capucci - Capucci
    Polo (green) - Ralph Lauren
    Piper Nigrum - Lorenzo Villoresi
    No. 1 PH - Clive Christian
    Nicole Miller for Men - Nicole Miller
    Narcisse Noir - Caron
    Muscs Koublai Khan - Lutens
    Monsieur de Givenchy - Givenchy
    Le Parfum de Thérèse - Frédéric Malle
    L'Homme de Coeur - Divine
    L'Antimatière - LesNez (2006)
    Isfarkand pour Homme - Ormonde Jayne (2005)
    Idole de Lubin - Lubin (2005)
    Hiris - Hermes (1970)
    Équipage - Hermès
    Eau des Merveilles - Hermes
    Eau de Campagne - Sisley
    Eau d'Hermès - Hermès
    Chanel No. 19 - Chanel
    Black Aoud - Montale (2006)
    Bigarade Concentrée - Editions Malle
    Baie De Genièvre - Creed (1982)
    Aomassai - Parfumerie Generale
    Angeliques Sous La Pluie - Editions Malle
    Angélique Encens - Creed (1933)
    Dia pour Homme - Amouage
    Alpona - Caron (1939)
    Tam Dao - Diptyque
    Last edited by afraafra; 14th July 2008 at 06:31 AM.