Code of Conduct

Default Can you identify this note?

In the opening of Zino and also Le Male there is a "rotting meat" note , is it me or does anyone else get it also? What do you think it is

Default Re: Can you identify this note?

I've never (knowingly) smelled Le Male, but I get no rotting meat note in the opening of Zino. Zino, to my nose, opens with a burst of (what I thought was) eucalyptus. After reviewing the pyramid, I realize I was actually smelling the sage.

I don't think I'd like Zino very much if I smelled the rotting meat. Lucky thing that I don't. You have definitely piqued my curiousity, I'm interested in others' responses.
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 12th July 2008 at 05:40 PM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Current rotation: Dune pour homme Dior, Minotaure Paloma Picasso (vintage/Cosmair), YSL Opium pour homme EDP, Cristobal pour homme Balenciaga, Vintage Dolce & Gabbana pour homme, vintage Paco Rabanne pour homme, Givenchy Insense, Joop/What About Adam

afaarfa ..... What type of meat do you smell ?

" Wanted " empty bottle of Macassar
    Currently wearing: Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    afaarfa ..... What type of meat do you smell ?

LOL, never mind about the description that was the closest I can describe it
    it is an unusual smell as I said I've encountered in several scents Zino, Le Male, Live Jazz, Gianfranco Ferre(new), want to know what note(s) it is to avoid in blind buys

cooked or raw ?

" Wanted " empty bottle of Macassar
    Currently wearing: Zirh Ikon by Zirh

Looking at the pyramids it could be sage or wormwood (rosewood).

I think what you are smelling is the weird, over-ripe note that some bergamots can give off, especially when it's presented alongside an aromatic lavender; think Jicky.
    I often thought tthat lavender can only be medicinal/minty, but Turin explains, in his review of Pour un Homme, that lavender can be either minty or similar to the sweaty fenugreek, a curry spice, related to cumin.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 12th July 2008 at 09:43 PM.

Wormwood and rosewood are different things entirely!

I get a bit of a "meat" smell with citronella and somewhat less with other citrus-scented grasses. Also, some floral scents smell like they are decomposing--jasmine and neroli, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    some floral scents smell like they are decomposing--jasmine and neroli, for example.
    I'm just starting to recognize this characteristic in some fragrances. One of my current favorites, Sybaris/Puig, contains Jasmine and other florals that definitely give off a bit of the "decomposing flowers" element. I rather like it, and find the characteristic rather sensual.

I believe there was a thread started by mikeperez, sometime back, about the smell of decomposing flowers, or at least the smell of flower components beyond just the petals. i.e. stalk, receptacle, etc., etc.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Current rotation: Dune pour homme Dior, Minotaure Paloma Picasso (vintage/Cosmair), YSL Opium pour homme EDP, Cristobal pour homme Balenciaga, Vintage Dolce & Gabbana pour homme, vintage Paco Rabanne pour homme, Givenchy Insense, Joop/What About Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I think what you are smelling is the weird, over-ripe note that some bergamots can give off, especially when it's presented alongside an aromatic lavender; think Jicky.
    I often thought tthat lavender can only be medicinal/minty, but Turin explains, in his review of Pour un Homme, that lavender can be either minty or similar to the sweaty fenugreek, a curry spice, related to cumin.

Thanks, a very likely explaination..

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Wormwood and rosewood are different things entirely!

I get a bit of a "meat" smell with citronella and somewhat less with other citrus-scented grasses. Also, some floral scents smell like they are decomposing--jasmine and neroli, for example.

My mistake rosewood is a different thing altogether..

afraafra, if you look at the notes, Le Male contains orange blossom (neroli) and Zino contains jasmine. Both of these florals are known to have a rotting smell. Usually it is more of a vegetal rot, though, rather than meat. Maybe that is just the way you perceive it!