Code of Conduct

Thread: incense

Default incense

Anybody have any experience with incense they could comment on?

I am not into most home fragrance stuff but I have found recently I really like incense, this is my latest experiment in the olfactory world. I made a homemade censer using an old flower pot dish and have been burning bits of censer/shisha charcoal with incenses on top. The smell is very nice and it is not smokey. Also, I've got hold of better quality incenses that are fresh, and combined with the charcoal method, there is less stenchy smoke and more fragrance.

I would like to try burning some Frankincense resin some time, and also agarwood chips. I burned an agarwood cone several weeks ago, and the smell was a bit stenchy. I think it might work better with indirect heating. Also, I tried grinding up a Srinivas Nag Champa incense cone and sprinkling it on top of the coal and it makes a very nice smell indeed.

I would like to try out an electric heated censer or bukhoor heater to see if I couldn't cut down on the charcoal use, though.

Default Re: incense

Since you have a censer and charcoal, I can definitely recommend Ancienne Ambience to you. They have lovely incense mixes (resin, herbs) that are amazing. They are more powerful than joss sticks and really re-create the ancient experience of incense in temples.
    http://www.ancienneambiance.com/home

You might also try church supply stores (esp. Roman Catholic or Greek Orthodox)... maybe you've done that already.

The best incense sticks I've found are by a company called AIRS. Lots of places carry these.
    I like the following:
    Vetiver, Oakmoss and Sandalwood -- A very soothing, beautiful scent. The sticks themselves smell terrific even before they are lit.
    Frankincense & Myrrh -- rich but not sweet. Quite compelling, excellent scent.
    Cedar, Sage and Eucalyptus -- very woody, generates a very smoky scent.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Thumbs up Re: incense

Fred Soll www.fredsoll.com makes a wonderful product. I burn at least one stick a day. They are loctaed in New Mexico, and are very high quality. My favorites are:

Egyptian Musk
    Lovely Lavender
    Nag Champa

Try them, I am sure that you will not be disapointed!

Pure agar/oud or high quality resins on charcoal is unbeatable . It's very easy to make your own mixes and you really get the ancient and genuine experience. Apart from the wonderful and luxurious scents of Liquidambar chips, siam benzoin, sandalwood, myrrh, copal, elemi etc you can also burn more easily available materials like pine resin, cinnamon etc etc.

It sure is a great way to experience the very roots of perfumery as an aspect of human culture.

I second Srinivas NagChampa as a classic in quality stick incense. And must also recommend:
    Daniel Jouvance's cones "volutes parfumées". They are a wonderful spicy cedar woody scent.
    (If anyone knows how to buy this online if not having a French address, please tell. The DJ website people do not seem to respond to emails).
    Last edited by iez; 23rd December 2008 at 06:25 PM.

A very good cultivated Agarwood, I actually prefer it to the $1,800 variety:

http://www.ecclecstacy.com/aloeswood_incense.html

It's product number E-PVA1 / E-PVAT

$119 for 150 sticks (79 cents per stick).

Although not being much of a 'joss stick man' myself, I sometimes very much appreciate traditional Japanese incense, like the ones from

www.shoyeido.com

A 300-year old, family run business, using only the best natural ingredients.

Pricey? Quite. But as well as 35 7" sticks for USD 600, they have more available varieties that are very enjoyable indeed.

Kohden is also a Japanese brand with good products, ealsily available on-line.

What I do very much like to burn, instead of incense, are little strips of Papier d' Armenie.
    Outside of France, not a lot of people seem to know about it. Basically, it's a small booklet of paper that's been drenced in Benzoin. You tear off a strip, light it, let it smother away, which only takes a minute, et voilà!

http://www.papierdarmenie.fr/

Oh, and personally, when I use Oud chips, or Bezoe crystals, or lumps of Greek frankincence, I prefer not to let them burn on charcoal, but to just 'dry roast' in a little metal container on the burner of an essential oil set. (For the container I cut off the bottom of a coke can).
    That way the materials 'evaporate' rather than 'burn', leaving a fresher, less smoky scent.

Oh, just one thing, you wrote something about a flower pot: i hpe it was an empty one!
    Because WARNING! Never Put Incense In a Plant!
    Believe you me! For it is Dangerous!
    Dry soil can be set aglow by the stick, and it can take hours to spread trough the soil. Fuming poison in the mean time. Mostly when you are asleep...
    Before it starts to burn!

Happy Smelling my friends! ;-)
    Last edited by Dhr. DeLuxe; 26th December 2008 at 12:06 AM. Reason: typo

auburnette

For incense sticks, I've found the best to be Fred Soll (they are super sticky though, esp if you get the Honey Amber ones which are lovely) and Terre d'Oc. Terre d'Oc does a fantastic Pomme Amber which I dearly wish was a perfume, because I'd drown in it.

Try www.encensdumonde.fr

I have only tried their Olibanum and Sandalwood but they're good quality and reasonably priced.

I have an olibanum addiction - I can sit in a cloud of the smoke for hours. And great for those who, like me, live in a studio appartment and smoke as well. A great way to leave a clean, woody smell and get rid of unwanted odours.

Beware though - it will cling to drying clothes, so unless you want this, keep them well out of the way of the smoke.

Have fun!

Shoyeido Incense was my drug of choice before I found Basenotes. I never knew they sold $1800.00 bundles of incense... it's amazing what you learn here on basenotes

Their "daily incense," which is about $4.00 a pack, is still some of the best incense I've tried, and you can find it at most health food type stores in America, like Whole Foods, Sun Harvest, etc.

My favorite Shoyeido sticks are Moss Garden, Kyoto Cherry Blossoms, and White Cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    Shoyeido Incense was my drug of choice before I found Basenotes. I never knew they sold $1800.00 bundles of incense... it's amazing what you learn here on basenotes

Their "daily incense," which is about $4.00 a pack, is still some of the best incense I've tried, and you can find it at most health food type stores in America, like Whole Foods, Sun Harvest, etc.

My favorite Shoyeido sticks are Moss Garden, Kyoto Cherry Blossoms, and White Cloud.
    Try Enmei, it's amazing.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic Scientist View Post
    A very good cultivated Agarwood, I actually prefer it to the $1,800 variety:

http://www.ecclecstacy.com/aloeswood_incense.html

It's product number E-PVA1 / E-PVAT

$119 for 150 sticks (79 cents per stick).
    I have ordered quite a number of agarwood/sandalwood incense samples from them (the value exceeds 60 $), but I must say I am rather angry.
    I ordered on February 1st (and was charged accordingly), got to know that Dave was behind with shipments on February 20th (after I inquired), mailed again on March 11th and 17th to know if my samples had been shipped and got NO answer.
    That's NOT what I call a good customer service. Now I fear I am just lighter by 60 bucks and that's it. Not good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    I have ordered quite a number of agarwood/sandalwood incense samples from them (the value exceeds 60 $), but I must say I am rather angry.
    I ordered on February 1st (and was charged accordingly), got to know that Dave was behind with shipments on February 20th (after I inquired), mailed again on March 11th and 17th to know if my samples had been shipped and got NO answer.
    That's NOT what I call a good customer service. Now I fear I am just lighter by 60 bucks and that's it. Not good.
    Jeez, that's bad luck, sorry to hear about that Lady_in_Black... I'll definitely avoid those guys. Hopefully you can contact paypal / your credit card and stop payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Try Enmei, it's amazing.
    Thanks for the tip Barry, I'll try it for sure. It looks like my local Sun Harvest stopped carrying Shoyeido, I guess it doesn't sell as well as Sai Baba I'm gonna try ordering from their website, has anyone here done business with Shoyeido online?

Thanks for the tip Barry, I'll try it for sure. It looks like my local Sun Harvest stopped carrying Shoyeido, I guess it doesn't sell as well as Sai Baba I'm gonna try ordering from their website, has anyone here done business with Shoyeido online?
    Yes Monsieur Sparkle. Their customer service is excellent. I have ordered quite a few things from them and there has never been any bother ordering stuff to be sent to the UK.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

Blog Entries

Shoyeido is quite good for quality Japanese Incense. I tried the Premium & Daily Incense sampler and found Circle & Kyoto Cherry to be among my favorites.
    Last edited by kumquat; 2nd July 2009 at 08:05 PM.

I like incense. I still have some from a trip to Kyoto in the mid 80s that I use from time to time and have now finally got around to putting in an order with Shoyeido - will report any finds of note! I bought the CdG Kyoto sticks a while back - very nice if you're a fan of that scent. Also a fan of L'Occitane Amber & Lavender but it's now hard to find here.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Try Enmei, it's amazing.

Barry
    Double that. Barry knows his incense!

I would also suggest Gentle Smile and Beckoning Spring - those two are the best in terms of bang for your buck, as they're high quality and still reasonably priced of the premium incense. They're available in the same premium incense sample pack that kumquat mentioned.
    Sales thread here

The package arrived today - inside a week. I tried Pride of Kyoto late morning and it transported me totally to my trips there temple hopping 20 years ago - I literally sat speechless and just 'listened'. Of note - when I placed the order I received an email (they ship from US, not Japan) mentioning one particular ingredient, I presume one of the woods, could not be shipped and we adjusted the order to suit. Great service and I am smitten by the beauty of these.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

I have seen the traditional charcoal bukhoor(?) burners and the electric ones on ebay (and even some that fit the cigarette lighter for use in a car). Has anyone used or tried one or any of these?
    I got some incense sticks as a freebie when I bought some soap and I really like them and the effect versus trad. air fresheners so I'm just starting to look around 'incense' .

I tried some other Shoyeido's today, Love and Emerald.

Love is probably one of the more sensual of the Shoyeido's, as it's made of mostly Benzoin, sandalwood and balsam tolu (so it's kind of ambery).

I liked emerald even more though - it smells a bit feminine, with notes of rhubarb, fennel and cinnamon. it isn't as spiritual as the premiums, but it's probably in my top 5 of the Shoyeido's I've smelled. Very pretty and unique.

I plan to try all of the anglic and jewel series in the next few weeks and will report back on them here.
    Sales thread here

One of my favourite bakhoors is Oudh Mubakhar by Ajmal

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OUDH-MUBAKHAR-...3A1%7C294%3A50

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post

I would also suggest Gentle Smile and Beckoning Spring - those two are the best in terms of bang for your buck, as they're high quality and still reasonably priced of the premium incense. They're available in the same premium incense sample pack that kumquat mentioned.
    I really liked those, too. I am going to see if I have emerald. that sounds nice!

I buy incense from my local health food store. The ones they sell there are all natural, which for me is a must. Plus you can sniff before buying.

The only brand I can think of right off is Triloka.
    I send thee this sweet perfume a fragrance to the fragrant, as one would offer wine to the god of wine.

This is one of my favorite sellers:

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5596564

Ships fast, and I haven't gotten a bad scent yet.

I'm pretty big on incense. I love the Comme des Garçons Incense Series. I grew up Catholic and have always loved the incense burned at mass. I don't know why it never occured to me to go to a Catholic supply store, but I took a previous poster's suggestion and went to one.

I was overwhelmed at first because I'd never used resin based incense before-- the concept of putting the resin over burning charcoal was foreign to me. I looked at all the different liturgical incenses-- and there were MANY. I found a kit called "Trinity Frankincense & Myrrh Starter Kit" for around $20. It includes 1 oz of Somalian Frankincense and 1 oz of Ethiopian Myrrh, 5 pieces of charcoal, a brass incense burner and a wooden coaster. I grabbed one.

I looked over all the different incenses and saw one series that looked interesting. It was made in Italy and there were four different varieties named "Matthaeus" (for wisdom), "Marcus"(for purification), "Lucas"(for joy), and "Iohannes"(for meditation)--named for the authors of the gospels. What was interesting was that each was priced differently-- likely for the expense of the ingredients. (Luke-$9, Matthew-$10, Mark-$14, John-$15) I bought one of each.

These resin based incenses are everything I was looking for. My living space is rather large and wide open with very high ceilings-- so I'm able to burn this type of incense without it being overwhelming.

Now I'm going to try to find resin based incense that resembles the other styles of CdG Incense Series besides Avignon. I might check out some of the Byzantine incense next time.

I remember there's a thread about CDG Kyoto incense sticks, Couldn't find it anymore.

A friend of mine currently living in the south of France has just sent me a package of incense for my home, called "tchourai", I believe. It is made by Senegalese immigrants there. This friend lived in west Africa for years, and tells me (having never been to Africa myself) that this is how the shops and homes from Senegal to Cameroon smell. It is bark, soaked in perfumed oils, I know nothing other than this, and that the women of Senegal keep their family recipes a secret for the most part. I have been burning it on charcoal for the last two days, it is wonderful. I have some in the office, as well, that isn't burned but just left out, and it is great this way also. It is far superior to any cones or sticks I have used to this point. It is very sweet, but becomes much less so when burned, I didn't see any mention of it on this site, and was wondering if anybody else enjoys this as much as I.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I'm pretty big on incense. I love the Comme des Garçons Incense Series. I grew up Catholic and have always loved the incense burned at mass. I don't know why it never occured to me to go to a Catholic supply store, but I took a previous poster's suggestion and went to one.

I was overwhelmed at first because I'd never used resin based incense before-- the concept of putting the resin over burning charcoal was foreign to me. I looked at all the different liturgical incenses-- and there were MANY. I found a kit called "Trinity Frankincense & Myrrh Starter Kit" for around $20. It includes 1 oz of Somalian Frankincense and 1 oz of Ethiopian Myrrh, 5 pieces of charcoal, a brass incense burner and a wooden coaster. I grabbed one.

I looked over all the different incenses and saw one series that looked interesting. It was made in Italy and there were four different varieties named "Matthaeus" (for wisdom), "Marcus"(for purification), "Lucas"(for joy), and "Iohannes"(for meditation)--named for the authors of the gospels. What was interesting was that each was priced differently-- likely for the expense of the ingredients. (Luke-$9, Matthew-$10, Mark-$14, John-$15) I bought one of each.

These resin based incenses are everything I was looking for. My living space is rather large and wide open with very high ceilings-- so I'm able to burn this type of incense without it being overwhelming.

Now I'm going to try to find resin based incense that resembles the other styles of CdG Incense Series besides Avignon. I might check out some of the Byzantine incense next time.
    OMG Indie Guy, this is so timely. I just came across a site that sells lots of resin incenses (frankincense, myrrh, opoponax, amber, lots of goodies) and I definitely want to give it a go, especially since I'm coming to love resinous notes in perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely give these a go. Shoyeido is definitely the best quality stick incense I've come across.

Thanks for the tip on the charcoal method. I'll be sure to note this for the future!

As far as incense to scent my home, Shoyeido is great.

However, being Eastern Orthodox, I often use incense for my devotionals here at home.

A monastery called Holy Cross Hermitage in Wayne, WV makes GREAT high quality incense in the style of the monks on Mt. Athos. I particularly love their orange blossom. It smells like my favorite Eau de Cologne - Imperiale. Literally. My wife likes their cassia incense, and tells me that it reminds her of freshly baked gingerbread cookies coming out of the oven. It is a favorite of mine to use during Advent and Christmastide.

They also make high quality goat milk soaps and candles. Check it out, google it, and support some monks today!
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Hi folks. I have been really enjoying the Shoyeido Incense at home - beautiful selection - thanks for the intro courtesy of this thread!

I saw Lisn mentioned and haven't been able to locate a direct source for this line but a fellow basenoter is heading over to Tokyo next month and I was wondering if:

Anyone here has visited the Aoyama Boutique and/or could recommend any particular Lisn favourites?

Anyone has any idea if there are any wearable powders / oils / perfumes derived from traditional Japanese Incense themes - I have seen mention of 'Zubo' (?), a wearable powder form, and leads on where we might track these down?

Any tips or suggestions most appreciated - domo arigato
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 11th October 2009 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Since you have a censer and charcoal, I can definitely recommend Ancienne Ambience to you. They have lovely incense mixes (resin, herbs) that are amazing. They are more powerful than joss sticks and really re-create the ancient experience of incense in temples.
    http://www.ancienneambiance.com/home

You might also try church supply stores (esp. Roman Catholic or Greek Orthodox)... maybe you've done that already.

The best incense sticks I've found are by a company called AIRS. Lots of places carry these.
    I like the following:
    Vetiver, Oakmoss and Sandalwood -- A very soothing, beautiful scent. The sticks themselves smell terrific even before they are lit.
    Frankincense & Myrrh -- rich but not sweet. Quite compelling, excellent scent.
    Cedar, Sage and Eucalyptus -- very woody, generates a very smoky scent.

nice idea
    Last edited by dr.siddiq; 15th October 2009 at 01:45 PM.

I just burned a Mysore Sandalwood stick and I feel completely relaxed.

double
    Last edited by Man_from_Shalimar; 20th October 2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: double post

I learned a ton of stuff about incense recently over at Olfactory Rescue Service.

Following their advice on some excellent but relatively inexpensive Japanese incense, I picked up sample bundles of two incenses in Baieido's Kobunboku line: Kobunboku and Tokusen Kobunboku. Although I am very much a fine incense noob, having burned a couple sticks of each, I can strongly recommend both....especially the Tokusen Kobunboku.

i think no sticks can beat frankincense. it is great on charcoal. if you want a more subtle, less smoky effect, try heating it rather gently in an oil burner. the effect is smoother, and quieter. but personally i love the smoky part and the complex intensity so when i really want to indulge i burn a piece of charcoal.

my second favorite is storax (black, liquidambar, from turkey).
    myrrh can be a good companion to olibanum (aka frankincense), but i prefer the latter.
    also try styrax (benzoin, amber color, from south-east asia). this is the scent of papier d' armenie. a large part of this smells rather vanilla-like.
    i still want to get some opoponax (sweet myrrh) and most of all labdanum (sometimes called amber) but i cant find this locally.

the names/species storax and styrax are often confused with one another, it's like 2 different species have two the same names at the same time, people using both terms for either resin. it can get almost as confusing as the name 'amber'!
    Last edited by gido; 10th November 2009 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    Fred Soll www.fredsoll.com makes a wonderful product. I burn at least one stick a day. They are loctaed in New Mexico, and are very high quality. My favorites are:

Egyptian Musk
    Lovely Lavender
    Nag Champa

Try them, I am sure that you will not be disapointed!
    This man is the king of US Hippie incense. I really respect his quality across the line. Red Sandalwood being my favorite.

Incense is what got me into fragrances; great medium for smell I think.

Kyukyodo is a wonderful incense brand; getting hard to come by though they aren't imported into the US anymore.. Anyone can PM me if they want I'd do a trade of incense if you want to try any of Kyukyodos offerings.

Baieido Kobunboku is a great incense for the price.. nice Cassia and Sandalwood blend. Baieidos other Kobunboku are good to. Syukohkoku is one of there best I feel. Great aloeswood and spice blend.

I'd have to second recommending Fred Soll; some of the best quality incense I've seen. Real thick and resinous. Check out Frankincense-champa lovely blend of a sweet flowery Champa flower and piney frankincense.

For Indian style (more like Nag Champa) Shroff Channabasappa is a great company; pretty fairly priced to.

http://www.essenceoftheages.com/ - Best customer service IMO vast selection

http://www.ecclecstacy.com/ - Great selection but not so good customer service.. can be SO slow to ship.. They make there own incense which is great and fairly priced for the quality of wood.

http://olfactoryrescueservice.wordpress.com - Incense reviews! Check out his top 10's of Japanese, Indian and Tibetan incense great starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by pofox View Post
    I have seen the traditional charcoal bukhoor(?) burners and the electric ones on ebay (and even some that fit the cigarette lighter for use in a car). Has anyone used or tried one or any of these?
    I have an el-cheapo electric one (shaped like an Arabian magbess). The incense smolders, rather than ignites, so the fragrance is a bit cleaner. I want to upgrade to one of those lovely Japanese ones, but they're so expensive...

I haven't tried the Japanese take on oud, only Middle Eastern bukhoor. Stores here often burn their propriety blends in front of the shop so passers-by can smell it in action. The only one that really hooked me, and that I'd recommend, is the incense from Arabian Oud. I prefer the New Maajoon Arabia, which is a moist oud + rose. Their Majoon Shoyukh smells similar, only drier, a little less floral, with a touch of something that smells like citrus. They smell of good quality and lack the mustiness that some oud has. I understand Arabian Oud has a couple of stores in London now.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

Thank you all for this thread. Thanks to your recommendations, I found some nice incense. The incense burning as I write is Pure lands Bhakti yoga Rasa Leela. It's a bit sweet, flowery, appropriate for romantic evenings.

I didn't have an incense burner so I took a small crystal bowl, filled it with salt and put it on a glass ashtray. It works nicely and I like the looks too.

Two other incense sticks I especially liked are Lama Chodpa relaxation - a bright, slightly smokey, complex woody scent that reminds me a bit of a spa scent and it actually does what it was designed to do - helps to relax.

Men-Tsee-Khang sorig is another favorite with complex, cool spicy scent.

Several more incense sticks are on their way and I'll report on them on this thread.

Do you think it would be appropriate to expand the directory to include the candles, incense and room sprays as well?

DSC00229.jpg

I just received couple boxes of incense from eBay 2 days ago. They are sticks and theres the Nag Champa, Sandalwood, Rose, Lavender and Patchouli. 3 are by HEM and 2 others are by the Nag Champa company. I want to try cranking out my own incense sticks.

My favourite Bakhoors / Incenses over charcoal.

Bakhoor Raqiya by Rasasi
    Shamamatul Amber by Rasasi
    Kauser - Oud Muattar by khadlaj perfumes ( agarwood chips soaked in perfumed oils)
    Madhosh - Muattar by khadlaj perfumes

Just a pic for lovers of incense - I was out strolling near Central in HK yesterday, this is one of a few small temples you can find in the most unlikely places around town. Quite a lot of incense, the air is highly scented by the smoke from all of these burning . . . do not try this at home

A nice reminder that 'perfume' comes from the latin 'par fumare' - through smoke. The incense used in Chinese temples is moderately sweet, mildly narcotic.

My 'blue hour' shot.

I hear great things about Lisn incense sticks but impossible to find in the UK

I burn 3 sticks a day every day and I prefer hand dipped or gonesh either thir spring mist or ancient times. If you want a good deal get their top 5 sampler.

I have a pack of high quality Baieido incense which I try to like very very hard but I just can't. I love perfume and cologne though, but to me incense pretty much smells like burning wood. Am I missing something?

This is a very exceptional source for all sorts of quality incense they carry all major brands Baieido, Shoyeido, Gonesh and much more than I can mention here .... Good luck

Just ordered some of these from Auroville.com

http://www.auroville.com/maroma-ence...l#.Uu948fYu6po (Musk, Cinnamon... and Rose, Myrhh...)

http://www.auroville.com/maroma-ence...l#.Uu958PYu6po (Balsamic Woods and Caravan)

A little expensive but should be really good. Looking forward to trying

Ok update on the above...sadly the incense (tried three different kinds) lack punch:-(

Lit one or even two sticks and put them in a corner of a medium sized room and I can barely smell them sitting on the bed in the center...kept an window open, very faint aroma can be detected...switched on the fan and I can finally smell it somewhat.

So, nice natural aroma from what I can detect and really expensive but not worth the price!

Will not be buying from auroville again.

Search continues

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart2925 View Post
    Ok update on the above...sadly the incense (tried three different kinds) lack punch:-(

Lit one or even two sticks and put them in a corner of a medium sized room and I can barely smell them sitting on the bed in the center...kept an window open, very faint aroma can be detected...switched on the fan and I can finally smell it somewhat.

So, nice natural aroma from what I can detect and really expensive but not worth the price!

Will not be buying from auroville again.

Search continues

I'm new to this forum and perfumes in general but have a lot of incense history so thought I would jump in here. I burned various blended sticks, cones, etc for years from nag champs to sandalwood and all scents in-between but now I only burn natural plant-based incense. I get frankincense, myrrh, and sometimes copal tears at my local health food store as others have noted. They sell it in the bulk herb section, as do many co-ops and it's a super cheap way to get it. We burn the resin on charcoal sitting in a small bowl of dry rice. I also burn sage or cedar smudge sticks when feeling extra contemplative and they are easy to find at health food stores too, but my favorite smudge by far is sweet grass which is a bit harder to find and have only gotten it from Native American friends as gifts. My new favorite incense though is a wood called palo santo, or holy stick. Got it at a hippy, bead store type place and it's glorious. It's an aromatic, sweet and woody incense from South America. A quick google search provide multiple online sources for it. Highly recommended.

Thank you for sharing that...will certainly look it up :-)

Agree that burning 'raw' materials is a fantastic way of experiencing them in a very pure form - those with open fires may also throw some onto the dying embers.