Code of Conduct

Default Sensuous Review/New Blog

This is a shameless, not-so-subtle plug for my new blog, Scentient Life.

http://scentientlife.blogspot.com/

I just posted a review on Sensuous, if any of you are interested.

Feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Guest 3

Default Re: Sensuous Review/New Blog

Nice blog space! I enjoyed your review of Sensuous. It sounds like something I should test next time I'm at the mall. Werther's butterscotch is ok by me.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    Nice blog space! I enjoyed your review of Sensuous. It sounds like something I should test next time I'm at the mall. Werther's butterscotch is ok by me.
    I know, right??? It was my favorite candy as a child and that adds to the "comfort" element for me.

Also, if you hit up a SA for a sample, see if they've got the little minis. I was given a small, maybe 3 oz mini at Neiman Marcus this weekend and I've been spritzing it freely ever since.

Nice reading, thanks for posting!

I have been curious about Sensous, and after reading your review I know I must sample this one ASAP.
    I have no idea what moltening wood is, but Werther´s butterscotch is yummy, also in liquid form I guess.

Great review! Very thorough and yet a pleasure to read. I find myself very drawn to Sensuous although I feel it is nothing earth shattering overall. Love it still though.

Great review and nice blog.

The review came at a perfect time--I just tried Sensuous today while at Macy's. I too picked up nearly the identical notes you did, leaving me scratching my head in confusion. But it is nice, even if it's not as advertised.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

BlackCat,

I agree. I wish someone would do a mainstream woody fragrance. It's exactly as you said -- nice, just not what was advertised. I'm glad that our experiences were similar and that it wasn't a failure on my part to properly smell the various notes.

Great review - love the "TGINAFF"

Terrific review of Sensuous.(TGINAFF!!) I reacted the same way to the advertising vs. how the stuff actually smells. (I get ambery powdered sugar). And what the heck does "molten wood" smell like? If it has anything to do with the burning substance in beach fires or fireplaces, it's definitely not in Sensuous. So it must be something else.

I love your blog title! I really enjoyed this entry and I look forward to reading more.

I used to wear Tuscany Per Donna too, . I dislike it now, but I think it has more to do with scent memory than the smell of the fragrance. I've always liked a lot of Lauder's scents, and I'm not sure why they got such a negative reputation.

I read that Annie Buzantian of Firmenich is the perfumer of Sensuous. I can't remember where I read it, though...

I have a memory of Karyn Khoury as a perfumer of something I used to wear and love, and I can't remember what it was. Grrrr. Clearly, my memory sucks. If anyone knows of a scent for which Khoury is credited as perfumer, please let me know. It's driving me nuts.
    Last edited by Tovah; 15th July 2008 at 01:19 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Good blog!

Tovah, wasn't it Pure White Linen for Estee Lauder?
    Currently wearing: Omnia Paraiba by Bulgari

Tovah,

I will feel like a total asshat (pardon the term) if she's the honest to God perfumer... I tried to be measured about what I said, but when I saw her corporate title, I just thought, "please don't tell me they're trying to pass off the creative director as the nose!!!!" So if you remember what Karen Khoury has created, I'd love to know, so I can give her proper credit.

I think the problem with the marketing is this: "molten woods" makes for a great concept to tell the perfumer to shoot for. But as a note, or an accord, or a way to explain what the fragrance smells like, it's a failure. It almost makes me wonder if the perfumer originally proposed something that actually did smell woody and it just got watered down to the point where it was something different than originally envisioned. Such as.. "Yes, we told you we wanted molten woods, but now that we actually can see what that would smell like, it's too edgy, our focus groups don't like it. Let's just do butterscotch instead."

Glad you liked the blog.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnaea View Post
    "Yes, we told you we wanted molten woods, but now that we actually can see what that would smell like, it's too edgy, our focus groups don't like it. Let's just do butterscotch instead."

I found where I got the idea that Annie Buzantian was the perfumer. It's on The Scented Salamander. A review on Sensuous says, "It was created by perfumer Annie Buzantian of Firmenich in collaboration with Karyn Khoury and Aerin Lauder. Sensuous offers a touch of masculinity (woods are traditional masculine notes) that is made completely feminine at the same time. It represents a move to adapt to an evolving US market as florals have been retreating and the brand sees a trend towards feminine woods." (http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scenteds..._2008_per.html)

When I tested it I didn't get the "masculinity" or any striking woodiness. I must try it again. I liked Sensuous, I just didn't experience anything the marketing wanted me to experience. In fairness, I should add that I was given a decant of Cuir Beluga on the same day I tried the Sensuous...so...my first "test" of it was a bit tainted. In any case, TGINAFF.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Tginaff

I just had to find out what TGINAFF stands for, and I had to laugh! I echo your scentiments!

Love love love new bloggers! And your blog!

I started blogging in the education space and started the Scent Project as a proof of concept database through Wordpress. So glad you found inspiration there.

Now I HAVE TO find/filtch/bribe a sample of Sensuous. Too much noise on it and every review makes it sound right up my alley.

Don't be surprised if you start seeing some link-love on my end too....
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Just bookmarked your blog! Your wardrobe list contains several fragrances that I know I like, and quite a few that I want to try. Thank you, and best of luck with your new venture.

I'm also LOL on TGINAFF!

I'm very gratified by all the positive responses. Thanks to everyone for being so supportive! *hugs all around*

Great Review.....My Wife sampled this and I do believe that they have a winner here for sure.
    Gary