Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Your opinions of Grey Flannel please...

I was sniffing around a perfume shop today when I came across some Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene: 4.0 oz bottle packaged in a mini grey flannel drawstring bag. It really does smell like a new flannel shirt IMO. I had a girlfriend in the 80's who went bonkers for this stuff.

Has it held up well throughout the years and does anyone like it?
    Last edited by samplermike; 15th July 2008 at 11:23 PM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Your opinions of Grey Flannel please...

I think it has held up fantastically and I still wear it. It is definitely a classic.

You can usually find the 4oz bottle at TJ Maxx/Marshalls for ~ $12.99.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm going to be contrary and say that I didn't like Grey Flannel when it was new and I like it even less now. It's just...too...sweet.

I dislike Versace Dreamer for the same reason. I find them both cloying to the point of being irritating.

It holds up quite well, if you like violets and galdbanum, that is. I like galdbanum, I'm not crazy about violets, but Grey Flannel was and is an original. Mike, I think it is much in alignment with your beloved GIT.

Sorry, I was remembering Lagerfeld Photo.
    Grey flannel is a good fresh synthetic woodsy floral.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 16th July 2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Mistaken olfactory memory.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

Works great in fall/ winter. I use the Grey Flannel with just a bit of Givenchy Gentlemen and has a blockbuster effect. Typically in suit and tie setting. These are the only two colognes that I have gotten compliments with either on their own or together.

Been my staple for about 10 years now and it it has tremendous staying power. Just need a little.

Blog Entries

I think it's held up nicely. So much so that I bought a 4 oz. bottle yesterday!

It's one of those scents, though, that on me will be lightly applied and infrequent. I like it but could tire of it easily.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I just purchased this at TjMaxx for $7. This is my second blind buy and like my first one, it didn't turn out well. You would think I would learn. It isn't bad but not something I would wear again.

Good for the price but it's sooooo green smelling (must be the violet) that it can be jarring to some people at first (yes, me). Still, it's a "must have tried it at one point in time classic". After a while I warmed up to it.

I think it's magic. Nothing else out there like it. SirSlarty is right though, there's that distinctive jarring effect of GF that's like a spike up your nose. Nothing else has it and I really think it's magic. I've got a 4oz bottle too, and purchased it about 5 years ago, but last year my mom sent me an old splash bottle of it I had in high school. They both smell the same! I think its held up very very well.

Neat thing about it is that it can be perfectly "today cool" when you wear it, but also very "retro cool" at the same time. I love the stuff.

I can't stand the Eau de Grey Flannel that came out after GF though. Renato seems to be the only one I know who respects it. That stuff is awful. Can't figure it out. The GF straight up, never anything wrong with that.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Francesco Smalto is similar, but soooo much better, and you can still get it at reasonable prices. Unless you really like that harsh green opening GF has, I see no reason to get it rather than FS. FS lasts longer too.

I like it myself, but since you asked, here is a shocker. There is a thread titled "Worst. Smell. EVER."
    Here's what 5 people in that thread had to say about Grey Flannel:

Canoe and Grey Flannel make me sick. Literally. These are disgusting, despicable perfumes.

I second the Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel. A disgusting old man has been wearing his pyjamas for days, and its full of his old man sweat and secretions. Bleeaaargh.

Grey Flannel, and my first experience of the original Kouros!

... I'm going to vote for Grey Flannel, with British Sterling being a close second. Both are really nasty.

what other scents DON'T you like? (for me: ...Grey Flannel)

I can appreciate the unusual artistic composition of Grey Flannel. I find the violet note combined with the green very interesting. BUT, I have never been comfortable with it on my body. Something about the floral nature of it is just all wrong for me. I've tried to wear it - but it just doesn't work for me.

Don't listen to Bigsly. Nothing outdoes Grey Flannel at what Grey Flannel does best, and that is some yummy green goodness. The transition from opening to the drydown is magical as well.

For as cheap as it is, as distinct as it is, and as DustB said, as simultaneously modern/retro chic - it's amazing. One of the best values out there. And I don't think it's synthetic at all.

One or two sprays max. Any more than that and you will regret it and turn yourself off to the frag. It's a powerhouse.

It and GIT are my two favorite green frags.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 16th July 2008 at 05:29 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

As good as ever. It was a groundbreaker when it first appeared, and although one can hardly say that of it any more, it still turns heads and provokes the delightful question, "What is that you're wearing?" on many occasions. Part of my review of this:

"It was a novel use of green notes in the top to overwhelm the citrus, and the sweet floral notes and almondy, slightly powdery drydown seemed out of character with the rest of the scent. I guess we would now say that Grey Flannel's nose, André Fromentin, was a visionary. A leap of the olfactory imagination, for sure."

Last edited by JaimeB; 16th July 2008 at 05:04 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I still have my bottle of it although I wear it with much lesser frequency now than I did before.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Java, I want you to get those GF wearings up. Obey!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Java, I want you to get those GF wearings up. Obey!
    And I shall obey thee

But seriously, my girl doesn't like it on me.. I guess i'll have to go light on the application, like 1 spray max maybe.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Cool Re: Your opinions of Grey Flannel please...

Well----
    It's okay, but that's about it for me.
    Perhaps it's just too retro prom night 70's--I dunno.

Want violets? Try Joseph Abboud.

In fact, I'd be interested if any of you who have tried both would rate GF higher . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 16th July 2008 at 06:04 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

If you get over the initial shock effect, you'll grow to like it.

I've not worn mine for, ooh, at least a couple of months, so I decided to get my bottle out and have a spritz. What a lovely fresh fragrance it is. My right arm (which I sprayed it on) smells great now. Really bright and refined fragrance.

I think I'll wear it tonight. Unless I wear Black Orchid of course, it depends on my mood after I shower later...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I wish I could find it somewhere local - I just love it! It's green and bright and fresh and it lasts forever! What's more, it dries down to a fantastic clean smell which lingers on! I love it!

$12.99 for 4 oz? WOW that is a bargain.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

It may go well with a leather jacket. Other than for that, I don't like it very much.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    in the 80's who went bonkers for this stuff.
    "Grey Flannel". Even the name is drab.

Thumbs up Re: Your opinions of Grey Flannel please...

Buy it, wear it and you never smell like the crowd !
    Currently wearing: Sycomore (new) by Chanel

Honestly I wore this as a kid and can't remember what it smells like from 20-25 years ago. I see it cheap at Marshalls all the time though.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Does anyone else see the similarity between Grey Flannel and Narcisso Rodriguez for Him? Other than the grey bottle and grey in the name of GF they both have that dry violet leading into musk note. NRfH does not have the strong green opening notes and less of a floral note, but it is an updated and more minimal version of Grey Flannel, I think. Anyone else?

i find GF much better and bearable than Coolwater. i think of it as an Eccentric scent..i want to hate it, but something about is very nice in a very weird way.....not bad, I can imagine it must be a rage back then...quality stuff, just not for me...anything with violets treated the way in CW repels me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Francesco Smalto is similar, but soooo much better, and you can still get it at reasonable prices.
    What could Francesco Smalto and Grey Flannel have in common?

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    What could Francesco Smalto and Grey Flannel have in common?
    actually i dont see anything in common...both scents have a very diff approach