Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default A DOWNER then UPPER fragrance day

Tried:

The One by D&G. WOW did they put effort into making this so boring? I almost laughed out loud (no wait I did) when the SA started telling me the prices for the line. The prices weren't high but the idea that I'd put money down for this was ludicrous. I honestly wouldn't even accept it for free it was that uninteresting. Some sort of powdery amber vanilla leather concoction that was actually bland and stagnant. Amazing.

Zara: Ok I actually liked I Homme. Aromatic sure a little synthetic smelling but crisp sweetness with a warm ambery dry down with light florals. I dig.

The other men's fragrances were derivative or flat with no body or life to them.

The waters were ok (* they did not have the Sandalwood or Amber so I can't comment on those) but the women's one's were pleasant nothing glamorous or earth shattering.

The clothes were hideous though. You can get Armani, D&G, or CK on a discount for not too much more than Zara. Or hell even Banana Republic or Brooks Brothers. Zara had poor fabric and bad designs. Zara claims they reproduce the hottest fashions but I failed to see anything "hot" in the store aside from the 20 something woman I smacked my head against the mirror to catch a glimpse of.

Penhaligons Opus 1840 - Nice. Spicy yet serene and subtle with a light musky drydown. Distinguished. This company seems to do everything with class.

Pacifica - very hippie smelling scents. Earthy quality in them all even in the Spanish Amber. It was a flash through Whole Foods so I may give them another look later.

Burts Bees - bright refreshing citrus light and simple.

Herban Cowboy - a little like Brut. Musky with some pepper.

Cheers,
    Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A DOWNER then UPPER fragrance day

I agree with your initial assessment of The One by D&G - it was exactly like mine. I was almost shocked that D&G would create such a weak and insipid thing. But by the time I got to the end of the sample they gave me, I was in love with that strange, wimpy fragrance - as was my wife. All I can tell you is that - for me, at least - it's wonderful on skin when sniffed at a distance of 0 mm. I can apply it like water, and it still has almost no sillage. But worn in intimate situations, it's a wonderful scent. I use it for two situations: SotD when I can't have any sillage, or SotN. Is it worth the price? Unless it works with your skin, probably not. But it's worth a free sample to check it out.

Thanks for the reviews on the others. The Penhaligon's looks very attractive. And "Herban Cowboy" is just too cute - I've gotta try it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I agree with your initial assessment of The One by D&G - it was exactly like mine. I was almost shocked that D&G would create such a weak and insipid thing. But by the time I got to the end of the sample they gave me, I was in love with that strange, wimpy fragrance - as was my wife. All I can tell you is that - for me, at least - it's wonderful on skin when sniffed at a distance of 0 mm. I can apply it like water, and it still has almost no sillage. But worn in intimate situations, it's a wonderful scent. I use it for two situations: SotD when I can't have any sillage, or SotN. Is it worth the price? Unless it works with your skin, probably not. But it's worth a free sample to check it out.

Thanks for the reviews on the others. The Penhaligon's looks very attractive. And "Herban Cowboy" is just too cute - I've gotta try it!

You're right. As the D&G (watching the All Star game still havent showered) dries down its a soft creamy skin scent a bit like a subdued Body Kouros. Not awful but still not sure I'd buy a bottle.

Cheers,
    Al

Post Thanks / Like

I thought The One was a little too Varvatos-like. Some differences, sure, but subtle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    I thought The One was a little too Varvatos-like. Some differences, sure, but subtle.
    Interesting - I'll have to do the comparison myself. Could be another one that I'll like, or even better.