Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Montale samples, and a mystery solved

I got some Montale samples yesterday, and I must say I was completely blown away by Black Aoud, Aoud Lime and Attar. I will clearly have to test them more, but it seems that I will need at least decants of all 3 of them. I think the Aouds mix beautiful and stinky in a wonderful way...

I made one very interesting observation: earlier this year I got from my Indonesian sister-in-law a 3 ml unmarked bottle of some very nice smelling perfume oil that she bought on her trip to Mecca. I had a hard time trying to figure out what the notes were, since that was my first experience with Arabic perfumery, and my wife was also not able to identify the ingredients although we agreed that there probably was some rose in it.

Now I was very surprised when I sampled the Montale Attar, it seems to me that especially in the top notes, it is almost identical to the perfume oil from my sister-in-law, although they diverge a bit in the dry-down where the perfume oil is more linear and only changes a bit into being slightly "soapy". And now seeing that the Attar is supposed to contain rose and sandalwood, I can also more easily recognise these elements in the oil.

I'm just wondering how much my sister-in-law paid for that Attar oil compared to the price of the Montale...
    Last edited by nenugal; 16th July 2008 at 10:55 AM.
    I love cologne.

Default Re: Montale samples, and a mystery solved

Sounds like you were given a traditional Rose Attar. Something like this one?
    http://www.tigerflag.com/attar_of_roses.html

The Montale Attar seems to have a bit of oud in it plus possibly some other things so it should differ some from a rose attar.
    I haven't tried a true, traditional rose attar yet but I love the Montale Attar. It is so incredibly potent, it just bowls me over!

Those three Montales are what I am told I should order samples of, and others.

Evogel: how does an attar differ from say the Creeds or Lutens I get? I have read of perfume oils and things, and I am not good at picking out notes, or combining. Anything I can do to shorten a learning curve? Are they more or less expensive per ounces let's say than say a niche cologne? Places to go to sample or order small size? Advice?

Basenotes Plus

Evogel: thanks for the pointer, the rose attar you link to seems to be marketed as a feminine attar, while the one I received was rather unisex, even tending more towards the masculine since the rose was balanced with some spices and sandalwood. I took a picture of the bottle with my mobile phone, sorry for the low quality...

I love cologne.

Blog Entries

If I have to venture a guess, she probably got you a bottle of an attar named "Hajr-e-Aswad". Attars in general are very affordable compared to designer/niche fragrances for the quality that you get.

Quote Originally Posted by nenugal View Post
    Evogel: thanks for the pointer, the rose attar you link to seems to be marketed as a feminine attar, while the one I received was rather unisex, even tending more towards the masculine since the rose was balanced with some spices and sandalwood. I took a picture of the bottle with my mobile phone, sorry for the low quality...

Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    If I have to venture a guess, she probably got you a bottle of an attar named "Hajr-e-Aswad". Attars in general are very affordable compared to designer/niche fragrances for the quality that you get.
    Thanks for the input, mudassir! I googled "Hajr-e-Aswad", and a bottle came up that certainly looks identical although by bottle is with a plastic applicator like in sample vials, not a roll-on; and the description of the scent may fit too.

I'm wondering, is that bottle style specific to the perfumer behind this attar, or is it a generic type used by different producers of attars and perfume oils?

It seems that this is a very interesting area of perfumery that I will have to investigate further
    I love cologne.

Blog Entries

Nenugal,
    This is a generic bottle that is used for anything that sells as low as $2 to as high as $500. This area is definitely worth exploring if orientals are to your liking, and you could see yourself getting used to dabbing/applying oils as opposed to spraying alcohol diluted perfumes. But then again, I have noticed a plethora of niche lines introduce quite a few oils lately.

Thanks for the input, mudassir! I googled "Hajr-e-Aswad", and a bottle came up that certainly looks identical although by bottle is with a plastic applicator like in sample vials, not a roll-on; and the description of the scent may fit too.

I'm wondering, is that bottle style specific to the perfumer behind this attar, or is it a generic type used by different producers of attars and perfume oils?

It seems that this is a very interesting area of perfumery that I will have to investigate further
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Looks like Mudassir got you straightned out. He has FAR more knowledge of Attar's, oils, etc. than I do.
    I am at the beginning of my journey with these things.

For some reason, even though that attar states feminine, I thought all traditional rose attars were unisex or even masculine. From what I understood, rose is very big in the Mideast and quite traditional for a man to wear. I wonder if Tigerflag states "feminine" based on how American's perceive the rose note?

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Those three Montales are what I am told I should order samples of, and others.

Evogel: how does an attar differ from say the Creeds or Lutens I get? I have read of perfume oils and things, and I am not good at picking out notes, or combining. Anything I can do to shorten a learning curve? Are they more or less expensive per ounces let's say than say a niche cologne? Places to go to sample or order small size? Advice?
    Fins,
    To me, Montale's Attar is quite unlike any Creed or Lutens scent. The power and longevity is on par or even better than most Lutens but it is not quite as dense or complex as most Lutens' scents I've tried.
    The Montales are on par price wise with both Creed and Lutens.

As far as traditional attars, I am not really familiar with them but along with oud oils, they are at the top of my scent priority list. The above mentioned site, www.tigerflag.com as well as www.agarscentsbazaar.com are two that I have been looking at a lot lately. www.oriscent.com as well for the oud oils. Also check out a recent oud oil thread for some fantastic info and the BN oud group too.

As far as Montale samples, check with BN member Maisonstinky whom I think you know quite well! Highly recommended.

Yeah I remember when I got my first samples from Montale Paris. Right when I opened the package, it smelled so amazing. Top house by all means.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Yeah I remember when I got my first samples from Montale Paris. Right when I opened the package, it smelled so amazing. Top house by all means.
    Yes that is my impression too, all 5 samples smell absolutely wonderful, all in their own different ways...
    I have now tested all 5 samples; Black Aoud, Lime Aoud, Attar, Steam Aoud and Aoud Damascus, and at least the first 3 seems to be bottleworthy, but because of the huge price I'll probably try to get decants in the first round... the Attar could also be a bit redundant since it is very similar to my "Mystery Attar", but it seems to have a certain "depth" (perhaps the Oud?) that my attar oil doesn't have to the same degree.

Steam Aoud and Aoud Damascus are certainly also very nice, but they seem a bit redundant after the tree first ones. However I have only tested them once, they may grow on me...

I'll certainly also have a look at the sites mentioned by Mudassir and see if I can find a couple of reasonably priced attars and ouds to try out.
    I love cologne.