Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Help me pick a Montale, skip to page two, LOL

The Auod is not all that bitter on this at first. The limes, well, not a tart one. A bit of a perfumey, powdery note, but not overtly strong on either side.

I have been reading up on Black Oudh. I dont much like a heavy leather, but I do love the roses in Acqua di Parma Colonia (not long lasting, what a bummer) and in Czech and Speake # 88 (a bit soapy).

If I could take the Auod note from Aromatic Limes and marry it with some roses, which Montales would I be looking at? I like projection and sileage and long lasting.

Also, best place to get them for the price? I am thinking I will check with Maisonstinky first, as he was always the best guy to deal with.
    Last edited by finsfan; 21st August 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Default Re: Im loving Aromatic Limes, so another Montale would be ???

I thought Aromatic Lime is from the non-aoud line. It does have myrrh and some other interesting notes though.
    Be sure to test Black Aoud. There's a reason why it's most people's favorite. I don't think there's a leather note in it. Some people may think it's a "leathery" scent but I don't get that. It's really sensual and intoxicating. I even layered it with musk and the results were wonderful (a light application of both).
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    The Auod is not all that bitter on this at first. The limes, well, not a tart one. A bit of a perfumey, powdery note, but not overtly strong on either side.

I have been reading up on Black Oudh. I dont much like a heavy leather, but I do love the roses in Acqua di Parma Colonia (not long lasting, what a bummer) and in Czech and Speake # 88 (a bit soapy).

If I could take the Auod note from Aromatic Limes and marry it with some roses, which Montales would I be looking at? I like projection and sileage and long lasting.

Also, best place to get them for the price? I am thinking I will check with Maisonstinky first, as he was always the best guy to deal with.
    Sounds like you may be confusing Aromatic Limes and Aoud Lime. I'm not sure which one your talking about - but I highly recommend the new Sliver Aoud by Montale. Super strength, all day longevity with great sillage. Aoud in this is almost non - existing - hence a "sliver of aoud"

It is the Aromatic Limes. Not much limes, at least not like in Truefitts West Indian Limes or others I have tried. I am guilty of taking a sample, dabbing it on and coming to an immediate opinion. I have now promised myself that I have to wear it. Even put it away for a day and come back for a second wearing. Vijay mentioned that a Auod Damascus might work, but he says there is some reason why the Black Auod is a big favorite. I have to get samples, me on hunt now!!!

It is the Aromatic Limes. Not much limes, at least not like in Truefitts West Indian Limes or others I have tried. I am guilty of taking a sample, dabbing it on and coming to an immediate opinion. I have now promised myself that I have to wear it. Even put it away for a day and come back for a second wearing. Vijay mentioned that a Auod Damascus might work, but he says there is some reason why the Black Auod is a big favorite. I have to get samples, me on hunt now!!!
    Aromatic Limes is a great frag - I have a bottle. IMO Black Aoud trounces Aoud Damascus. The 3 must samples IMO are Black Aoud, Red Vetyver and Sliver Aoud - and not a must sample but my Wife and share a bottle of Aoud Flowers which I'm using way more than her. Have fun sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    IMO Black Aoud trounces Aoud Damascus.
    I agree with that statement a 1000 % thebeck. Anybody that knows me well at BN will attest to that LOL!!
    You also have to know finsfan, I know his taste and I think Aoud Damascus will work for him, I have suggested Black Aoud to him also, just because it is my FAV out of the whole line, but just to try.

I don't think Sliver will work for him, I have tried it. Again I am basing this on knowing his likes and dislikes a little bit .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

How do these work for you guys:

Attar
    Roses Musk
    Auod Flowers
    Red Auod
    Wood and Spices
    Vetiver des Sables

I gotta try the Black Auod. But from reading descriptions, I am trying to stay away from vanilla and powder, but hit some woods I like (say in Fumerie Turque) and roses.

Attar
    Roses Musk
    Auod Flowers
    Red Auod
    Wood and Spices
    Vetiver des Sables

I gotta try the Black Auod. But from reading descriptions, I am trying to stay away from vanilla and powder, but hit some woods I like (say in Fumerie Turque) and roses.

Attar - Only OK
    Roses Musk - Haven't tried
    Aoud Flowers - Own it and love it
    Red Aoud - It's a love or hate frag - I love it and own it. Major longevity and sillage
    Woods and Spices - traditional nice woody frag - many others out there that are similar
    Vetiver des Sables - Haven't tried

Attar
    Roses Musk
    Auod Flowers
    Red Auod
    Wood and Spices
    Vetiver des Sables

finsfan, I think you should avoid Red Aoud as it's very much a gourmand fragrance with a lot of vanilla in it. Based on what you're looking for, I think you should try the following for now:

Black Aoud
    Aoud Flowers
    Red Vetyver
    Attar
    Aoud Damascus
    Aoud Rose Petals

Trebor, thanks. I am reading a lot of reviews here and at Makeupalley. I tend to agree with many of yours. Some of these scents must be newer releases. I love the rose in Colonia, but wish it lasted longer. Assoluta, to make it last longer, gives up something in the rose. Villoresi Musk does not quite do it

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    finsfan, I think you should avoid Red Aoud as it's very much a gourmand fragrance with a lot of vanilla in it. Based on what you're looking for, I think you should try the following for now:

Black Aoud
    Aoud Flowers
    Red Vetyver
    Attar
    Aoud Damascus
    Aoud Rose Petals
    Now trebor you and I disagree about Red Aoud, But let finfan at least try a sample. I never know what I'm going to like or dislike myself, let alone try and predict what someone else might like. Just sample as many as your wallet can handle is what I do.

I will agree with Trebor on the ones he recommended and add two more. Sunset Flowers and if you like Amber , then Oud Ambre.

I recently tried Oud Ambre and was truly surprised. This one is a sleeper, nobody talks about it.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Now trebor you and I disagree about Red Aoud, But let finfan at least try a sample. I never know what I'm going to like or dislike myself, let alone try and predict what someone else might like. Just sample as many as your wallet can handle is what I do.
    Oh dear! Red Aoud is coming between us!

Based on what finsfan stated about wanting to stay away from vanilla, I just felt the need to warn him about it. If it wasn't for that, I would have recommended it as well (but more as an honorable mention).
    Last edited by Trebor; 16th July 2008 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Oh dear! Red Aoud is coming between us!

Based on what finsfan stated about wanting to stay away from vanilla, I just felt the need to warn him about it. If it wasn't for that, I would have recommended it as well (but more as an honorable mention).
    Absolutely not my friend. No frag will ever come between us. Red Aoud is a love or hate thing and I've admitted that, but Red Aoud is so different I think everyone should at least sample it. I'm crazy about it and want to pass along my excitement for it.

Montale has Aoud Lime. Very potent and one of my favorites!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

If you dig Black Aoud then you must sample Parfumerie Generale Corps et Ames. It helped me retain my faith in Leather/Rose frags when Black Aoud failed me.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Lasting power of Montale

I am testing Montale samples and the Aoud ones are better than the non-aoud ones, so far, to my nose. However, and it may be that this is just me, the longevity is about equal, but a bit better, than Acqua di Parma Colonia. They last about 5 hours, and then I really have to get my nose onto my hand and inhale. Tauer, Serge Lutens, some Creeds and Piper Nigrum all last longer, and even, believe it or not, the Miller Harris Tangerine Verte. I am wearing Black Aoud now and while I liked it a lot, a little bit scared to pay that much and not have it last all day.

Your experience?

Default Re: Lasting power of Montale

Black Aoud has monster sillage and longevity.
    You will not find a perfume which is better in those departments.
    5 hours? + 19 hours for sure

Really? They're some of the longest lasting for my skin.. skin chemistry is crazy, eh?
    A dab of something like Aoud Velvet or Patchouli Leaves is still detectable 24 hours later for me.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I am like Sixcats, I shred colognes. It is a place where they go to die. Now, let's say my nose is not very acute. I am comparing this Black Aoud to other scents. I have had others project more, like Chergui, and certain Tauer's LLDM. Even Joop, LOL. I liked how the aoud went on, and the roses then started coming through. I'll let my wife smell it tonight, but compared to how others last on me, this one is a medium longevity.

Black Aoud lasts the entire day on my skin, and if I get some on my clothes, we're talking days!

Black Aoud lasts an entire day for me too. Pretty potent stuff.

Lasts about 12 hours on me and my skin sucks up perfume like Count Dracula.

finsfan, it's probably olfactory fatique. Here's one trick I've learnt to test longevity: spray one of your inner elbows before you go to bed (once or twice should do it). When you wake up, check that area. If you can still detect it (regardless of how strong it is) that's usually a good sign. Go on, give it a go!

Black Aoud is a monster. I sprayed on my wrist in the middle of the day, went to sleep and woke up the next day and I could still smell it when I put my wrist to my nose.

It was a sample vial. Dabbing work just as well?

I am just comparing it to the ways I have done it with others. Hey, if it lasts, great, cause the Black Aoud is one that I can really wrap myself into. Not as offputting as Piper Nigrum can be to some, but once that aoud settles down, it was a nice rose scent, not overpowering, calming and yet energizing. And the Aoud smelled pretty good on my hand, wafting to my nose as the A/C in the car hit it on the drive into work

Trebor, I tried that trick last night. This should be a sticky, it was so good. I put a dab of Fumerie Turque in one elbow inside, and the other was Montale Red Aoud. When I awoke this morning, each one was about equally strong. I will test Tauer's LDDM and Black Aoud this morning.

One thing I noticed when I put on Auod Limes this morning: MY wife was a good 20 feet away from me and complained that she could smell it from that far, and she has never done that with any scent before. Evidently this does have sileage, and this was 10 minutes after I applied it. It must be a case of nose fatique setting in that much quicker. I plan to ask a lady down the hall today around noon, a good 5.5 hours later, how strong she thinks Auod Limes is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Lasts about 12 hours on me and my skin sucks up perfume like Count Dracula.
    If I get some on the clothes, then it'll last or more than a day.. otherwise 3-4 hours tops on my skin

I need a skin transplant I suppose.
    Last edited by Amit; 29th July 2008 at 12:28 PM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Black Aoud, Steam Aoud and Royal Aoud: 12+ hours.
    Aoud Damascus: 6 hours.

I just had half an office full of ladies compliment my Lime Aoud 6 hours after application......and this was from 1/2 of a sample vial (1ml vial) applied to my chest. That's pretty amazing. Black Aoud, Red Aoud and Attar are of similar strength in my opinion.

Black Aoud does last long on me. But: I "loose contact" with it after five hours. It's still there, it still gets noticed by others - good for them. If I put on a healthy dose of Green Irish Tweed (Creed), e.g. eight wisely destinated spritzes (under the shirt etc.), I'm myself in olfactory heaven from morning to evening. I don't want to find explanations ("olfactory fatigue"), I just accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by DesGrieux View Post
    Black Aoud does last long on me. But: I "loose contact" with it after five hours. It's still there, it still gets noticed by others - good for them. If I put on a healthy dose of Green Irish Tweed (Creed), e.g. eight wisely destinated spritzes (under the shirt etc.), I'm myself in olfactory heaven from morning to evening. I don't want to find explanations ("olfactory fatigue"), I just accept it.
    Well, then, I will then assume that the Montale is there. Ill let my wife smell it tonight when I get home. I know what you mean with smelling Creed, yum

Even if Black Aoud lasted on my skin for only five hours, it's still worth every penny of it. Luckily, Black Aoud stays longer than five hours. It's more like 10 hours!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Smile Re: Lasting power of Montale

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene View Post
    Even if Black Aoud lasted on my skin for only five hours, it's still worth every penny of it. Luckily, Black Aoud stays longer than five hours. It's more like 10 hours!
    Certainly! On me it stays ten hours or more, too. But after five hours I'd rather not want to act like an acrobat for smelling it.

I gotta agree with most people here. Black Aoud has insane longevity and sillage. So Im pretty sure its scent fatigue. The same thing happens to me from time to time. I found that if I do not wear fragrances for a few days (3-4 days). My nose comes back to life and I can detect my scents better (longer and more details in the notes).

Also I recommend no more than 2 sprays of Black Aoud for maximum effect. This stuff is very powerful, The first time I tried it I sprayed one whole spray on my chest and went to work ( I work in an office ). Well that was a mistake. Black Aoud is not office wear.

Montale is the house that has consistently the best longevity for its scents, without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by leor_77 View Post
    Montale is the house that has consistently the best longevity for its scents, without a doubt.
    ITA on this. Finsfan , I have very dry skin , and nothing lasts on me more than 3 to 4 hours. So far Montale scents have been the only ones that stick to my body. Well Ambre Sultan did too, I have yet to try more of the SL line. One advice I give to people with dry skin, apply uncented Jojoba oil to areas of your body that you spray perfumes or colognes on. This keeps the skin moist, thus retaining the scent longer.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Dont know if anyone else got this, but Auod Damascus on me, wow, projects like crazy.

Now, when I wore Black Aoud, I was in coat and tie, and wore half a sample vial.
    With Damascus, I wore the whole vial, as I am in short sleeves and I rubbed some on the insides of my arms. I can smell it so much.

Damascus to my nose is like the Acqua di Parma Colonia, but louder and longer lasting. Not as sweet either. But Damascus is sweeter than Black.

So, maybe a bit off topic, how are Queen Roses and Attar compared to Black and Damascus?

Attar - all day

Wore Attar today. Not as excited about it as Damascus or Black. Damascus lasted the longest, and Black and Attar about the same.

Can someone compare their perceptions of these three as far as the rose note, and wearability and other characteristics of the scent?

Also, I know how some say that some Creeds age and are more intense and longer lasting as they get older. Also, the thought they express is that these are natural ingredients and so one batch can be different than another. Are Montales the same way?

I guess, so far it would be between Black Aoud and Damascus as far as one to get. Id like a rose note, and there is Rose Petals (I think it is Black Aoud without hte Aoud if I read correctly); Rose Musk (a different animal altogether); Queen Rose, which is spicy and has saffron, and maybe another. Attar had that creamy sandalwood, but it was about to try to get powdery and in the end, it never developed. Aoud in Attar stepped aside and then I had, after about 90 minutes, a scent that I felt could have been done by any other perfumer. ANybody else get that same impression?

I see there are like 32 reviews for Black and 10 for Attar and about the same for Damascus. I know more than 10 guys have sampled Damascus and Attar. Is that indicative that more guys, when actually having to choose, go with Black?

I love Attar and actually might prefer it to Black Aoud. However, I don't find the two completely different enough to justify owning both (I own Black Aoud). I love both though so it's not a terrible predicament. I think the reason Black Aoud has so many more reviews is because it's been hyped up by basenoters much more than Attar.

To the point of the original question... I wore Musk to Musk yesterday and my girlfriend could still smell it on my chest this morning, 24 hours later. Now that's pretty darn good longevity.

Oh, and Queen Roses and Roses Petals do have Aoud in them.. (Oud Queen Roses and Aoud Roses Petals).

Roses Musk is incredible, but yes, completely in a different league than these others.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 1st August 2008 at 12:36 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I am testing Black and Attar on the inside of each elbow. Attar is a brighter rose, boardering on sweet, and Black is going in the opposite direction. Maybe that is what is giving my nose the impression that the Attar is more intense, maybe longer lasting?

After 3.5 hours, the Attar is twice as projecting as the Black. It is a bit too perfumy and boardering on powdery. I just think that Black would be disappointing for the price, kinda like how Colonia peters out on me, and that Attar would not be as satisfying
    Last edited by finsfan; 1st August 2008 at 03:34 PM.

Default Piper Nigrum and Montale Red Vetvyer, Pasteum Rose

Well, looking for bottles of Piper Nigrum and maybe Montale Red Vetyver, but not full bottle perhaps
    Last edited by finsfan; 19th August 2008 at 04:44 PM.

I think comparing the lasting power of the Aoud line is kinda like splitting hairs. They ALL have fantastic lasting power and projection as well. And Fins, most of them have a rose note, some stronger and/or different that the others. Just a few seem to me missing that note to me.

I love Attar. It seems like a simpler composition than the others. I have never tried a true rose attar but I have to wonder how different that would be from Montale's Attar, (at a much lower price point). Of course the Montale has the addition of a bit of oud and maybe it's possibly more complex but I'd really like to compare them side by side.
    Something like this: http://www.tigerflag.com/attar_of_roses.html

Many state that there is redundancy in the Aoud line but after careful study, I don't think this is correct. I find many (most!) worth owning without being redundant. They are addictive.

Smile Re: Lasting power of Montale

Try Greyland.

If you use two sprays you will wish to dear God you hadn't even 6 hours later. I can smell it quite distinctly the next am and only a shower makes it go away. Somewhat.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Red Vetyver by Montale (non aoud) last on my skin the whole day...Montale┤s scents got real power on longtivity and sillage.

One spray of Lime Aoud is almost too much. It would outlast even the Energizer Bunny!

I wore Red Aoud and loved that note, I think it is Saffron. It lasted strong for 4 or 5 hours, and then kinda just lingered.

Maybe it is saying something that there is nose fatigue. I wore Red Aoud, Damascus and Attar all on my forearms. Maybe that allowed the scent to seem like it projected more, and of the three, they all seemed to last as long. Black Aoud, before I ran out, was just the wrists, the face and neck and back of the hand, 1/2 of the sample vial on two wearings. The other three was a full sample vial worn, so maybe 1/2 went on the forearms.

I will wear Aoud Limes tomorrow, since I have 1/2 vial, like I did Black and see how that works. I will be in coat and tie but was not with the Red, Attar, and Damascus.

Attar, I loved the roses, but it kinda boardered on perfumey/powdery. Not really there, but like it wanted to turn that way. I think that I love the roses in the aouds, and prefer that over the Red or the Red Vetyver, though they are fine scents in their own right.

So, I guess it is between Auod Limes, Damascus and Black. Help me decide?

I own both Aoud Lime and Black Aoud and I'd go for Black Aoud anyday finsfan.

Which do you like finsfan? Go with your gut...if you don't and allow others to pick or persuade you on one, then it will end up on the sale forum soon after you receive it. You know the one you like...Go for it and trust your good nose buddy.

Jock, yes, I know. Damascus smells slightly like it will last longer, but Black was good for the initial hit, better even. Maybe the fact that I had Damascus on my forearms and Black was covered up by shirt sleeves (and thus got no forearm juice) made it seem like Damascus was stronger and longer lived. But Black smelled better, the deeper and woodier rose. All I need to do is convince myself it is every bit the sileage and longevity monster that the others are and I am good to go.

I have tried to talk to others at shave forums where I am a member. One is a younger crowd and they get Montale, the other is more the lines of Trumpers and Taylors Sandalwood and Floris.

Oh, sale of 40% off on Floris scents at www.vintagebladesllc.com. Was thinking of a Vetiver there.

Well, Attar, Damascus and Black I got to sample. All were great but Black, Damascus and Attar in that order of preference. Sliver Aoud, well, it felt like a Creed with a bit of Aoud thrown in. Vetiver des Sables, no go, and Sunset Flowers, no.

Red Aoud on me smelled like spices and a bit of saffron. It wore well in summer. Vanilla, I did not notice. I got a hint of Vanilla or wanting to go vanilla from Attar. Attar was like Colonia with a bit of wood thrown in, and the roses on steroids (longer lasting). Black was like C&S 88, (well, after the aoud stepped back after 45 minutes or so) less the soap.

I have a thread on longevity, and the Black was not worn on my forearms with short sleeves as the others were. But Red Aoud and Red Vetvyer might have to be 2nd bottle purchases if I get a rose Aoud first.

You should check out the "Montale Reviews" thread on the Female Board. There's a lot of great information there which will let you compare almost all titles.

Well I think Black wins. Attar was sweet and had a bit of a vanilla/powder/perfumey note. Lasted a long time. Damascus was sort of a middle ground scent. I think that Black has the sillage and projection and long lasting, but I wore the other two with short sleeves and dabbed it on my forearms, and could not do so with the Black.

I was tempted to try Queen Roses and Rose Petals. Can someone compare or contrast those with Black?

Now, one I am wearing today and love: Red Vetyver. Coolness and warmth. Pepper but not as harsh as Piper Nigrum.

Well I think Black wins. Attar was sweet and had a bit of a vanilla/powder/perfumey note. Lasted a long time. Damascus was sort of a middle ground scent. I think that Black has the sillage and projection and long lasting, but I wore the other two with short sleeves and dabbed it on my forearms, and could not do so with the Black.

I was tempted to try Queen Roses and Rose Petals. Can someone compare or contrast those with Black?

Now, one I am wearing today and love: Red Vetyver. Coolness and warmth. Pepper but not as harsh as Piper Nigrum.
    Mate, seriously, just get the Black Aoud - you really can't go wrong. If nothing else, it's the best place to start with Montale Aouds.

I wanted to comment about Vetiver des Sables because no one has mentioned it yet. I have a bottle and to me it smells like mahogany and calone (the iodine/sea weed note). It goes on nicely as a woody marine scent but quickly (in my opinion) turns into a strong artificial smelling mess. To be honest, I don't smell any vetiver in this at all. I am sure it's there but it's completely covered up by the other ingredients. Luckily, this was a gift from my uncle who also didn't care for it. It's OK, it's just not something I reach for except to remind myself what it smells like. Maybe I will wear it again today since it's been months!

Finsfan. If you are looking for a Montale with oud like aromatic limes and rose like CS 88, I suggest you try Golden Aoud. Warm rose with gentle oud.

I also like Musk to Musk and Sliver Aoud but I don't think they have the rose presence you are looking for.

finsfan-

I've worn both Black Aoud, and Aoud Queen Roses. AQR opens with a HUGE rose...a pungent oily rose- 'an then after a while, tha' oud comes on. This was a sample I rec'd from a trade with a fellow basenoter, 'an my first experience with tha' Montale line. WOW!!! In BA, tha' rose is prominient, but it's more subdued, I reckon.
    If Y'all are really into roses & aoud, then AQR is for you. You really can't go wrong with tha' Black Aoud, tho'.
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

Default Piper Nigrum vs. Montale Red Vetyver

Okay, heads up, which one appeals to you more?

Are they sufficiently different to merit separate bottles?

I get a more subdued pepper blast from Red, and after 5 hours, it stays spicy in the forefront and seems more linear. Not that this is bad, far from it. Very, very pleasant. Not a heavy cologne, but it has moderate projection.

Piper, sure, heavy pepper and some mintiness going on. After a few hours, it starts subsiding on the pepper projection and some creamy base, but not vanilla, comes through. It develops a bit more, and probably will not be as long lasting.

I do know I want a rose cologne, and Montale's Black, Queen or Rose Petals will be that. But is Red Vetyver my second Montale? I have a 1.7 ounce Piper, and dont know whether to get Red or not. I dont want a large collection of bottles and getting Red gets me to 7, whereas six is probably ideal for me.

Lineup so far

Piper
    Fumerie
    Chergui
    Miller Harris Tangerine Verte
    L'Air du Desert Morocain
    and one Rose Montale

That is my 6 pack. If I had to replace one so Red can come in, my 1st choice is probably the Miller Harris.

Default Re: Piper Nigrum vs. Montale Red Vetyver

Wow, a long time basenoter with only six bottles. . . you must have some serious will power.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant