Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Help me pick a Montale, skip to page two, LOL

The Auod is not all that bitter on this at first. The limes, well, not a tart one. A bit of a perfumey, powdery note, but not overtly strong on either side.

I have been reading up on Black Oudh. I dont much like a heavy leather, but I do love the roses in Acqua di Parma Colonia (not long lasting, what a bummer) and in Czech and Speake # 88 (a bit soapy).

If I could take the Auod note from Aromatic Limes and marry it with some roses, which Montales would I be looking at? I like projection and sileage and long lasting.

Also, best place to get them for the price? I am thinking I will check with Maisonstinky first, as he was always the best guy to deal with.
    Last edited by finsfan; 21st August 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Default Re: Im loving Aromatic Limes, so another Montale would be ???

I thought Aromatic Lime is from the non-aoud line. It does have myrrh and some other interesting notes though.
    Be sure to test Black Aoud. There's a reason why it's most people's favorite. I don't think there's a leather note in it. Some people may think it's a "leathery" scent but I don't get that. It's really sensual and intoxicating. I even layered it with musk and the results were wonderful (a light application of both).
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    The Auod is not all that bitter on this at first. The limes, well, not a tart one. A bit of a perfumey, powdery note, but not overtly strong on either side.

I have been reading up on Black Oudh. I dont much like a heavy leather, but I do love the roses in Acqua di Parma Colonia (not long lasting, what a bummer) and in Czech and Speake # 88 (a bit soapy).

If I could take the Auod note from Aromatic Limes and marry it with some roses, which Montales would I be looking at? I like projection and sileage and long lasting.

Also, best place to get them for the price? I am thinking I will check with Maisonstinky first, as he was always the best guy to deal with.
    Sounds like you may be confusing Aromatic Limes and Aoud Lime. I'm not sure which one your talking about - but I highly recommend the new Sliver Aoud by Montale. Super strength, all day longevity with great sillage. Aoud in this is almost non - existing - hence a "sliver of aoud"

It is the Aromatic Limes. Not much limes, at least not like in Truefitts West Indian Limes or others I have tried. I am guilty of taking a sample, dabbing it on and coming to an immediate opinion. I have now promised myself that I have to wear it. Even put it away for a day and come back for a second wearing. Vijay mentioned that a Auod Damascus might work, but he says there is some reason why the Black Auod is a big favorite. I have to get samples, me on hunt now!!!

It is the Aromatic Limes. Not much limes, at least not like in Truefitts West Indian Limes or others I have tried. I am guilty of taking a sample, dabbing it on and coming to an immediate opinion. I have now promised myself that I have to wear it. Even put it away for a day and come back for a second wearing. Vijay mentioned that a Auod Damascus might work, but he says there is some reason why the Black Auod is a big favorite. I have to get samples, me on hunt now!!!
    Aromatic Limes is a great frag - I have a bottle. IMO Black Aoud trounces Aoud Damascus. The 3 must samples IMO are Black Aoud, Red Vetyver and Sliver Aoud - and not a must sample but my Wife and share a bottle of Aoud Flowers which I'm using way more than her. Have fun sampling.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    IMO Black Aoud trounces Aoud Damascus.
    I agree with that statement a 1000 % thebeck. Anybody that knows me well at BN will attest to that LOL!!
    You also have to know finsfan, I know his taste and I think Aoud Damascus will work for him, I have suggested Black Aoud to him also, just because it is my FAV out of the whole line, but just to try.

I don't think Sliver will work for him, I have tried it. Again I am basing this on knowing his likes and dislikes a little bit .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

How do these work for you guys:

Attar
    Roses Musk
    Auod Flowers
    Red Auod
    Wood and Spices
    Vetiver des Sables

I gotta try the Black Auod. But from reading descriptions, I am trying to stay away from vanilla and powder, but hit some woods I like (say in Fumerie Turque) and roses.

Attar
    Roses Musk
    Auod Flowers
    Red Auod
    Wood and Spices
    Vetiver des Sables

I gotta try the Black Auod. But from reading descriptions, I am trying to stay away from vanilla and powder, but hit some woods I like (say in Fumerie Turque) and roses.

Attar - Only OK
    Roses Musk - Haven't tried
    Aoud Flowers - Own it and love it
    Red Aoud - It's a love or hate frag - I love it and own it. Major longevity and sillage
    Woods and Spices - traditional nice woody frag - many others out there that are similar
    Vetiver des Sables - Haven't tried

Attar
    Roses Musk
    Auod Flowers
    Red Auod
    Wood and Spices
    Vetiver des Sables

finsfan, I think you should avoid Red Aoud as it's very much a gourmand fragrance with a lot of vanilla in it. Based on what you're looking for, I think you should try the following for now:

Black Aoud
    Aoud Flowers
    Red Vetyver
    Attar
    Aoud Damascus
    Aoud Rose Petals

Trebor, thanks. I am reading a lot of reviews here and at Makeupalley. I tend to agree with many of yours. Some of these scents must be newer releases. I love the rose in Colonia, but wish it lasted longer. Assoluta, to make it last longer, gives up something in the rose. Villoresi Musk does not quite do it

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    finsfan, I think you should avoid Red Aoud as it's very much a gourmand fragrance with a lot of vanilla in it. Based on what you're looking for, I think you should try the following for now:

Black Aoud
    Aoud Flowers
    Red Vetyver
    Attar
    Aoud Damascus
    Aoud Rose Petals
    Now trebor you and I disagree about Red Aoud, But let finfan at least try a sample. I never know what I'm going to like or dislike myself, let alone try and predict what someone else might like. Just sample as many as your wallet can handle is what I do.

I will agree with Trebor on the ones he recommended and add two more. Sunset Flowers and if you like Amber , then Oud Ambre.

I recently tried Oud Ambre and was truly surprised. This one is a sleeper, nobody talks about it.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Now trebor you and I disagree about Red Aoud, But let finfan at least try a sample. I never know what I'm going to like or dislike myself, let alone try and predict what someone else might like. Just sample as many as your wallet can handle is what I do.
    Oh dear! Red Aoud is coming between us!

Based on what finsfan stated about wanting to stay away from vanilla, I just felt the need to warn him about it. If it wasn't for that, I would have recommended it as well (but more as an honorable mention).
    Last edited by Trebor; 16th July 2008 at 03:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Oh dear! Red Aoud is coming between us!

Based on what finsfan stated about wanting to stay away from vanilla, I just felt the need to warn him about it. If it wasn't for that, I would have recommended it as well (but more as an honorable mention).
    Absolutely not my friend. No frag will ever come between us. Red Aoud is a love or hate thing and I've admitted that, but Red Aoud is so different I think everyone should at least sample it. I'm crazy about it and want to pass along my excitement for it.

Montale has Aoud Lime. Very potent and one of my favorites!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

If you dig Black Aoud then you must sample Parfumerie Generale Corps et Ames. It helped me retain my faith in Leather/Rose frags when Black Aoud failed me.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Lasting power of Montale

I am testing Montale samples and the Aoud ones are better than the non-aoud ones, so far, to my nose. However, and it may be that this is just me, the longevity is about equal, but a bit better, than Acqua di Parma Colonia. They last about 5 hours, and then I really have to get my nose onto my hand and inhale. Tauer, Serge Lutens, some Creeds and Piper Nigrum all last longer, and even, believe it or not, the Miller Harris Tangerine Verte. I am wearing Black Aoud now and while I liked it a lot, a little bit scared to pay that much and not have it last all day.

Your experience?

Default Re: Lasting power of Montale

Black Aoud has monster sillage and longevity.
    You will not find a perfume which is better in those departments.
    5 hours? + 19 hours for sure

Really? They're some of the longest lasting for my skin.. skin chemistry is crazy, eh?
    A dab of something like Aoud Velvet or Patchouli Leaves is still detectable 24 hours later for me.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I am like Sixcats, I shred colognes. It is a place where they go to die. Now, let's say my nose is not very acute. I am comparing this Black Aoud to other scents. I have had others project more, like Chergui, and certain Tauer's LLDM. Even Joop, LOL. I liked how the aoud went on, and the roses then started coming through. I'll let my wife smell it tonight, but compared to how others last on me, this one is a medium longevity.

Black Aoud lasts the entire day on my skin, and if I get some on my clothes, we're talking days!

Black Aoud lasts an entire day for me too. Pretty potent stuff.

Lasts about 12 hours on me and my skin sucks up perfume like Count Dracula.

finsfan, it's probably olfactory fatique. Here's one trick I've learnt to test longevity: spray one of your inner elbows before you go to bed (once or twice should do it). When you wake up, check that area. If you can still detect it (regardless of how strong it is) that's usually a good sign. Go on, give it a go!

Black Aoud is a monster. I sprayed on my wrist in the middle of the day, went to sleep and woke up the next day and I could still smell it when I put my wrist to my nose.

It was a sample vial. Dabbing work just as well?

I am just comparing it to the ways I have done it with others. Hey, if it lasts, great, cause the Black Aoud is one that I can really wrap myself into. Not as offputting as Piper Nigrum can be to some, but once that aoud settles down, it was a nice rose scent, not overpowering, calming and yet energizing. And the Aoud smelled pretty good on my hand, wafting to my nose as the A/C in the car hit it on the drive into work

Trebor, I tried that trick last night. This should be a sticky, it was so good. I put a dab of Fumerie Turque in one elbow inside, and the other was Montale Red Aoud. When I awoke this morning, each one was about equally strong. I will test Tauer's LDDM and Black Aoud this morning.

One thing I noticed when I put on Auod Limes this morning: MY wife was a good 20 feet away from me and complained that she could smell it from that far, and she has never done that with any scent before. Evidently this does have sileage, and this was 10 minutes after I applied it. It must be a case of nose fatique setting in that much quicker. I plan to ask a lady down the hall today around noon, a good 5.5 hours later, how strong she thinks Auod Limes is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    Lasts about 12 hours on me and my skin sucks up perfume like Count Dracula.
    If I get some on the clothes, then it'll last or more than a day.. otherwise 3-4 hours tops on my skin

I need a skin transplant I suppose.
    Last edited by Amit; 29th July 2008 at 12:28 PM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Black Aoud, Steam Aoud and Royal Aoud: 12+ hours.
    Aoud Damascus: 6 hours.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

I just had half an office full of ladies compliment my Lime Aoud 6 hours after application......and this was from 1/2 of a sample vial (1ml vial) applied to my chest. That's pretty amazing. Black Aoud, Red Aoud and Attar are of similar strength in my opinion.