Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Piper Nigrum vs. Montale Red Vetyver

I really think they're very different and if it's an option, you'd want to get both. However, personally, I prefer PN. As mentioned in other threads, RV is similar to (or at least reminiscent of) Terre D'Hermes. I've tested both and I agree. Those two aren't very appealing to me.
    RM

Smile Re: Piper Nigrum vs. Montale Red Vetyver

Piper Nigrum all the way.. I really need a full bottle of this stuff!
    Last edited by deck89; 5th August 2008 at 07:19 PM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Blog Entries

Red Vetyver will be a safer option. But Piper Nigrum will be much more My vote is for Piper Nigrum.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Seven days in a week. You need Red Vetyver. :-)
    Distinct from Piper Nigrum I say. Nothing to warrant comparison IMO.

Fins, some say that Red Vetyver is very similar to Terre D' Hermes. Have you tried that one?
    I see where people think they are similar but I thing that RV wins over TDH hands down.
    Again, I don't really follow the Piper Nigrum comparison and think that if you like both, they both warrant a place in your collection.
    The Red Vetyver will work well in court. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Seven days in a week. You need Red Vetyver. :-)
    Distinct from Piper Nigrum I say. Nothing to warrant comparison IMO.

Fins, some say that Red Vetyver is very similar to Terre D' Hermes. Have you tried that one?
    I see where people think they are similar but I thing that RV wins over TDH hands down.
    Again, I don't really follow the Piper Nigrum comparison and think that if you like both, they both warrant a place in your collection.
    The Red Vetyver will work well in court. :-)
    Amen to that...

PN and RV are COMPLETELY different, IMO, once you overlook the pepper connection.

As for RV and TDH, do you want fresh orange juice or Robinson's orange squash? Think about it...
    Last edited by Trebor; 6th August 2008 at 10:42 AM.

As others have mentioned Red Vetyver is almost a clone of Terre d' Hermes. It smells a little better than TdH because it lacks the metallic haziness over the woods that TdH has - but otherwise is identical in smell to it. Piper Nigrum is a nice pepper/mint lavender type fragrance that is refreshing and dries down into a very pleasant masculine traditional scent. I like Piper Nigrum the most of these two but it is very different and doesn't really compare well to Red Vetyver. From Villoresi, Uomo is also quite good and should be tried along with Piper Nigrum - the drydowns are very similar but the openings are different. Uomo is a favorite of mine.

A good rose fragrance is Le Labo Rose 31, and I also like Washington Tremlett Black Tie - but it sounds like you are committed to getting a Montale. Golden Aoud is excellent, and much less demanding than Black Aoud - I have both and like them. Aoud Rose Petals is very nice too and is gentler than black aoud by half.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    A good rose fragrance is Le Labo Rose 31, and I also like Washington Tremlett Black Tie - but it sounds like you are committed to getting a Montale. Golden Aoud is excellent, and much less demanding than Black Aoud - I have both and like them. Aoud Rose Petals is very nice too and is gentler than black aoud by half.
    I am trying to keep the cost of a rose scent down somewhat. Le Labo is expensive. I have been told about TDC Rose Poivree and it seems as though it does not last long. I have tested Black, Damascus and Attar and the Black was the best smell. I have read that maybe Rose Petals and Queens Roses are interesting, but the guys who have made suggestions that kinda know my scent profile keep saying Black is what will be what I want, including Trebor and Vijay. Attar was going to the sweet side (and I think AdP Colonia does that too, but without going to powder or perfumey). I do like the spice of Red Vetyver, and I read that Tauer's rose is more incense than rose. Id kinda like the rose to predominate but be balanced with spice if it could. Black has the patchouli and that kinda gives it a touch of warmth. Yeah, Montale seems to be where I am headed if only because at $150 or so, I want the juice to last. I get to work around 7:00 a.m. and I'd like to be able to smell a little scent on me around 3:00 p.m., though I would refresh if I was going to an important dinner that evening.

Already ordered Red Vetyver...can´t say nothing more

Default Re: Lasting power of Montale

Thought I would ask this in here instead of beginning a new thread.

How many sprays of Black Aoud does everyone use? When I first got it I was able to detect it for hours with just one spray to my neck but now I spray it and fail to catch any whiffs of it. Just today I sprayed one blast to the chest and another in the air and walked through it and the only time I can smell it properly is when I sniff under my t-shirt... hmm.

Has my nose become so used to it? Also how many sprays is neccesary for other people to detect it?

Default Re: Lasting power of Montale

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    One spray of Lime Aoud is almost too much. It would outlast even the Energizer Bunny!
    LOL! That's really a good comparison, clapclapclapclap......
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Default How much and how to apply Montale

I know people have said don't apply too much Montale, but since it is a spray, how much to apply, and where? Tips on how?

Default Re: How much and how to apply Montale

I spray one on my chest and then another spray which I walk through. Thats with Black Aoud and Aoud Lime.

BA, I would apply one spray on one wrist and then rub it very lightly on the other wrist and then dab both on neck. and one spray to chest. two sprays, thats it.

One spray to tha' chest, one to tha' small of my back... Unless I'm wearin' my kilt- then 1 chest, 1 behind each knee.
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

finsfan, I think you should simply experiment yourself, as everyone's different.

Most Montales die down within the first hour, so I wouldn't be too concerned about 'overdoing' it. As for me, at least six sprays of any Montale is my minimum application. Life's too short for being f***ing coy...

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    One spray to tha' chest, one to tha' small of my back... Unless I'm wearin' my kilt- then 1 chest, 1 behind each knee.
    You wear a kilt in kanada? Err, Canada :P

I wear one spray, and just one. Aoud Lime and Black Aoud are very powerful scents. A spray on the left wrist, rubbed on the right wrist, and then dabbed on the neck is more than enough for a good 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    You wear a kilt in kanada? Err, Canada :P

I wear one spray, and just one. Aoud Lime and Black Aoud are very powerful scents. A spray on the left wrist, rubbed on the right wrist, and then dabbed on the neck is more than enough for a good 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    finsfan, I think you should simply experiment yourself, as everyone's different.

Most Montales die down within the first hour, so I wouldn't be too concerned about 'overdoing' it. As for me, at least six sprays of any Montale is my minimum application. Life's too short for being f***ing coy...

Holy ****...

Oh yeah. I agree,any other way is unacceptable.

They do calm down after an hour or so you'll be fine with your regular application.

Fins, you wear some powerful scents at baseline so the Montale should be similar.
    Just remember that when your wife looks at you like you are crazy for using so much scent before you leave the house, tell her that by the time your first client walks in the door, it'll be fine. ;-)

I wore 6 sprays of Attar (boosted with extra Aoud) today,I'd not worn it for a long,long time. What you say about settling after an hour is very true. I was a little worried about having overdone it,no need though as within an hour or so it had settled top a "just right" level. I'd forgotten how nice it is,too

Are you guys sure you're just not getting used to the smell after an hour? I remember the first time I sprayed a half-spray of Lime Aoud on, it was just perfect. Lasted the entire day, the entire night, and until I took a shower the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    Are you guys sure you're just not getting used to the smell after an hour? I remember the first time I sprayed a half-spray of Lime Aoud on, it was just perfect. Lasted the entire day, the entire night, and until I took a shower the next day.
    Yeah, I can see your point. It's probably down to all those years of cocaine abuse...

BA, AL kinda frags for an hour? man, quite unbelivable. skin types could play havok. btw, has it turned? whats the date on it? :

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    BA, AL kinda frags for an hour? man, quite unbelivable. skin types could play havok. btw, has it turned? whats the date on it? :
    [sniffs] Erm... Eh?! [shiffs]

Yeah, I can see your point. It's probably down to all those years of cocaine abuse...
    Yup, college will do that to you I'm going through it right now. Except, instead of snorting coke, I use this:

Nah, not at all! I think it "settles" down in an hour but is still present for the rest of the day...and then some. That initial, powerful blast calms down enough on my skin to warrant my usual, heavier application without blowing anyone out of the room.

Nah, not at all! I think it "settles" down in an hour but is still present for the rest of the day...and then some. That initial, powerful blast calms down enough on my skin to warrant my usual, heavier application without blowing anyone out of the room.
    Exactly... [sniffs repeatedly]

Life's too short for being f***ing coy...
    AMEN!

They stay on me for 3-4 hours max and after the first hour one would need to press their nose to my skin to be able to smell it

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    They stay on me for 3-4 hours max and after the first hour one would need to press their nose to my skin to be able to smell it
    ever considered skin transplant my freind?

Default Re: Piper Nigrum and Montale Red Vetvyer

Might consider GIT, MI or Incense Rose by Tauer as well

Default Re: Piper Nigrum and Montale Red Vetvyer

Take out the GIT now. Still want Piper and Red Vetyver and Pasteum rose. or maybe some other rose scent
    Last edited by finsfan; 19th August 2008 at 05:44 PM.

Default Prices on Montales

Ok, I would just as soon deal with Vijay on this. I read where if you want extra Aoud, then you have to get it from Montale directly. Yet, I have never heard back from them for samples, and then Vijay started up again and I just forgot to even want to ask Montale directly, since Vijay takes care of things so fast.

How much are 50ml and 100ml bottles of say Aoud Limes, and then the non-Aouds? Just wondered if someone can post that. I am thinking of Red Vetyver, since it lasts well on me. Black comes and goes, and Attar was to sweet. Good thing that Aoud is not in RV as I would be tempted to "up-juice" it/.

Default Re: Prices on Montales

Just to interject, I'm pretty sure what Montale would be adding upon request is extra perfume oil which may include some oud but the addition of just oud would change the character of the scent and increase the price a lot. :-)

As far as prices, I can comment that the Aoud line 50ml bottles are 55 Euros and the 100ml are 95 Euros direct from Montale. Free shipping with a total of 100ml and any 100ml order (in total) gets you a free 20ml. Otherwise, shipping for less than 100ml is 20 Euros.
    The non-Aoud line is less expensive, maybe someone who knows will chime in on those.

I say, better off going with Vijay if possible. I understand customs problems can occur with direct orders.

Those are the same prices i got directly from Montale when asking specifically about Red Vetyver.
    55 euros for 50mL + 20 euros shipping = $110.20 as of the aug. 18 exchange rate
    and
    95 euros for 100mL + 20mL + free shipping = $139.63

So there you go. I'm guessing this is the pretty standard rate for the non-aoud line.

I just got my bottle of Red Vetyver from Vijay and with all of the samples thrown in it is a much better deal working with him particularly on the 50mL size.
    Actually I think it is a much better deal working with Vijay in general.
    That's just me of course.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 18th August 2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: As finsfan pointed out forgot to add the shipping to the 50mL size
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

SMM: Seems weird that 55 euros and the 20 for shipping is 75 euros and that works out to only $80, but the 95 euros is $139? Is it the juice that is 55 euros which is $80 or so, and then 20 euros on top of that for shipping? PM sent

Wow, that means that buying from Montale is a bigger bargain when you go with the Auods. The Auods are usually $210 for 100 ml and now they are 95 euros directly or $140.00? Somerville, you did not get quite the bargain then as the Auods but still a good deal. Yet that means you can get a couple of the smaller auods for a combined $160.00 or so and then get a 20ml third scent.
    Last edited by finsfan; 18th August 2008 at 10:21 PM.

not to hijack the thread, but i just ordered direct from Montale for 139.63. do any one know how long does it take to ship to the U.S.
    Last edited by cmax; 18th August 2008 at 11:43 PM.

It took 19 days from the day they sent it out to arrive, and I live near a large city on the east coast. It was definitely held up and opened in Customs, even though Montale marked it as cosmetics. Nevertheless, it arrived.

Default Black Aoud was a no go, so what next?

Black Aoud on me tends to stay aoud-y, which is not bad, but it could be just aoud straight up. I dont get the leather bar connection, not on my skin. Attar was a bit on the sweet side, but I did get roses and sandalwood.

I do want some Red Vetyver, and want perhaps another Montale or rose scent to round out my collection.

Here is what I have
    Fumerie Turque
    GIT
    L'air du Desert Morocain
    Piper Nigrum

I want to order Red Vetyver

So, what do you think of:
    Auod Damascus (worn this and kinda liked, moreso than Attar)
    Auod Red Petals (not tried)
    Aoud Queens Roses (not tried)
    Attar

I can even go with Aoud Limes

I also would consider The Different Company Rose Poiveree and Le Labo Rose 31. Worried about longevity and projection on colognes. I like them to project a bit and to last long

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Black Aoud was a no go, so what next?

For a rose scent, have you tried Domenico Caraceni 1913?

Top Notes: Petitgrain, Bourbon Geranium
    Middle Notes: Neroli Bigarade, Rose Absolute, Tobacco Essence
    Base Notes: Frankincense, Cypress
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

petruccijc: I swear, if I could afford it, I would try all of your suggestions and then ask for more. You are awesome.

Yes,. I tried the Domenico over at Jock_with_Scent's, and as I recall, I was not all that impressed. I hear Le Labo is more woods/spices than rose, but with Black Aoud, I got more aoud. I read Trebor that Rose Petals is the opposite, more rose and less Aoud. I really like the Red Vetyver, so my dilema is either going for a 100 ml or getting 50 of that and 50ml of one of the other Montales.

finsfan, if you want a rose scent that's impressive and longlasting, I suggest you to try Paestum Rose from Eau d'Italie. IMO Duchaufour made something really amazing with this juice.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Yes,. I tried the Domenico over at Jock_with_Scent's, and as I recall, I was not all that impressed. I hear Le Labo is more woods/spices than rose, but with Black Aoud, I got more aoud.
    I would definitely sample Rose31 before purchasing it. Everyone is different, I only get the rose in Rose31 not the woods/spices (wish I did, I'd like it a lot better!).

I didn't get Domenico Caraceni Pour Homme the first or second time I tried it. Now, it is one of my favorite roses - I am partial to leather and tobacco scents and DC PH has a great tobacco note!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Not into leather really. I have tried Hamman and Blenheim Bouquet and one of them had this pine note that I dont do well. Also, at Jock's, I dont do boozy notes well. Hinoki and Black Tourmaline were instant no-gos, but I did appreciate that they were different. I wore some Idole and did not get booze, but I did not get a lot of spice like Piper. LV Musk gets too powdery. C&S 88 was nice but too soapy.

Paestum Rose has a lot of nice things said. Wonder how it compares in longevity to Le Labo, and then I have read up on TDC Rose Poivree. The Rosines I think would be too shortlived.

My short list is the LeLabo (a decant of 100 for around $100), the Eau d'Ialie, maybe revisit 88, or try another Montale.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    finsfan, if you want a rose scent that's impressive and longlasting, I suggest you to try Paestum Rose from Eau d'Italie. IMO Duchaufour made something really amazing with this juice.
    I went reading up on this. Pretty good reviews. Some say not as much incense.

What about Eau Suave by Parfums d'Empire?

Can you compare say Le Labo's and the Paestum Rose with a Montale Rose Auod? I read that some guys say that the Le Labo is very earthy, but cummin does ok by me (Red Vetyver and CDG 8 88 have it I think and I liked each)

the other one I see is The Different Company's Rose Poivree but maybe it is not long lasting
    Last edited by finsfan; 19th August 2008 at 06:33 PM.

I second the recommendations for the Domenico Caraceni 1913 and I'd add Parfums de Rosine Poussiere de Rose. Absolutely scrumptious musky rose, has plenty of wow factor and is sufficiently intriguing. I think it kind of breaks away from the path the other Rose scents follow by integrating some unusual notes including Apricots. You have to test it to believe it.

Additionally, I'd also recommend Parfumerie Generale Corps et Ames. you can read my thread here if you want to. Granted, it's not exactly similar to Black Aoud but it certainly is related. It definitely brings to mind memoirs of Black Aoud. In all likelyhood it might prove to be more wearable for you.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I love Black Aoud. it took me many wearings to come to that decision. But if black aoud was too much and you havent given up on Montales try Sliver Aoud. the aoud is much softer and the rose is not as dark. I find it to be more wearable whereas Black Aoud is for when you want to make an impact.

Leather, Black Aoud did not smell like leather to me, and generally, it is not what I prefer. Also, on the musky, not much into that. MKK is too animal. I was reading up on Le Labo and someone said it was a thin rose scent, not much roses by the way. The PR by Eau d'Italie is well-received and the Eau Suave, some say it can get powdery. Id like something that is incensy and rose, or spicy and rose, or all three.

Id be tempted on the CDG line but they say those are short lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    I love Black Aoud. it took me many wearings to come to that decision. But if black aoud was too much and you havent given up on Montales try Sliver Aoud. the aoud is much softer and the rose is not as dark. I find it to be more wearable whereas Black Aoud is for when you want to make an impact.
    I did not get any rose from Sliver Aoud. It was a bright scent, kinda like a metallic scent without metal, if that makes sense

Default Re: Im loving Aromatic Limes, so another Montale would be ???

Sorry finsfan, but I've never smelled any of the Le Labo, nor I have sampled Montale Rose Auod. I didn't like rose poivré for example being too much tea rose (I prefer bulgarian rose) with salty-peppery anoressic background, in other words not gorgeous rose and a shortlived one, at least on me. From Montale I've just smelled oud queen roses and it's a bit too feminine IMO.
    Anyway from what you say about No. 88 I suspect you might like Paestum Rose. To me in fact it can be kinda modern interpretation of No. 88, where the victorian "politically correct" soapyness is took off, replaced by a dewy touch of peony giving the bulgarian rose a wet touch (instead of soapy) and where the incense is totally replaced by the dense resins (benzoin, myhrr, balsam...) completelly wrapping the florals. Longevity is good, on me it lasts 8h.

Default Re: Im loving Aromatic Limes, so another Montale would be ???

. Based on what you're looking for, I think you should try the following for now:

Black Aoud
    Aoud Flowers
    Red Vetyver
    Attar
    Aoud Damascus
    Aoud Rose Petals

I keep coming back to these scents and then Aoud Limes. For a rose Montale, I would eliminate Attar, and have not smelled Rose Petals. I dont want powder, but I do like the Rose in Le Labo 31. Vijay eliminated Queens Roses for me. So, which of the rose Montales would you suggest.

Now, between Red Vetyver, Aoud Limes and Aoud Flowers, can someone compare and contrast them. I read that Aoud Limes has something of a honey note, and I liked Chergui but sold it for some reason. I liked that honey though.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I would definitely sample Rose31 before purchasing it. Everyone is different, I only get the rose in Rose31 not the woods/spices (wish I did, I'd like it a lot better!).
    This is my experience to a T!

Default Re: Help me pick a Montale, skip to page two, LOL

I don't get a honey note from Aoud Lime. Think Black Aoud with spices, mainly saffron,similar rose and very potent as well.

Some claim a honey accord from Aoud Flowers and I can see where they get that from. It's a bit softer than the Black and the Lime but still nice rose, some oud and the softened "honey" woody accord. Not as soft as Golden Aoud but slightly softer than Black and Lime.
    BTW, Golden Aoud is something you should consider.......or should I just shut up for adding another choice?! :-)
    Similar rose, oud, woody, softer as mentioned, very lasting and a tad more complex than Black. A kindler, gentler Black Aoud would not be far from accurate.

As you know, Red Vetyver is nowhere near any of the Aouds so.....Still awesome just the same but an apples to baseballs comparison. Get one of the Aouds and Red Vetyver and you'll be good to go.

Some claim a honey accord from Aoud Flowers and I can see where they get that from. It's a bit softer than the Black and the Lime but still nice rose, some oud and the softened "honey" woody accord. Not as soft as Golden Aoud but slightly softer than Black and Lime.
    BTW, Golden Aoud is something you should consider.......or should I just shut up for adding another choice?! :-)
    Similar rose, oud, woody, softer as mentioned, very lasting and a tad more complex than Black. A kindler, gentler Black Aoud would not be far from accurate.

That is my problem. As has been said, the Rose Aouds are just a continuum so to speak. Black is more aoud that roses, then Rose Petals is opposite more rose than aoud. Aoud Limes was good on me, Ill give it that. But I am loving the rose from Le Labo 31, and if it had half the oud of say Black Montale and projected as much, well, there is heaven right there. But I dont get any spices other than a bit of cumin from Le Labo. I dont want soft per se. Vijay says he thinks it is between Black, Damascus and Rose PEtals, and that I would not like say Golden, Queens Rose or Rose Musk.

As you know, Red Vetyver is nowhere near any of the Aouds so.....Still awesome just the same but an apples to baseballs comparison. Get one of the Aouds and Red Vetyver and you'll be good to go.

I thin that is what I want to do. Or maybe Paestum Rose and Red Vetyver

Top 5 For Men:
    Black Aoud
    Roses Musk
    Soleil de Capri
    Sliver Aoud
    Aoud Lime

Top 5 For Women:
    Aoud Damascus
    Crystal Aoud
    Black Aoud
    Aoud Shiny
    Red Aoud
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Why don't you just go to Luckyscent and sample these yourself? There is only so much "help" others can provide... In the end it's your nose that matters, not anyone else's...
    Last edited by KMF; 21st August 2008 at 10:41 PM.

I don't get a honey note from Aoud Lime.
    I don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by KMF
    Why don't you just go to Luckyscent and sample these yourself?
    Ahem, not everybody lives in the LA area LOL !!!
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I meant to say a honey note in Aoud Flowers

Well after struggling with picking a montale or two, I went for Sweet Oriental Dream and Black Aoud. I haven´t actually tried Black Aoud but I tried several others, including red and white and I found them all agreeable and nice but wishing the earth note was stronger. And I was expecting a lot more power and shock from them as well, and that left me a little dissapointed. I hope I´ll find this in Black Aoud or it will come up in the sales section of basenotes.
    Last edited by Lian; 22nd August 2008 at 12:31 PM.

Lian,
    I hope you find what you are looking for in Black Aoud. It can certainly have shock value. The other two from the Aoud line with shock value would be Lime Aoud and Red Aoud, which you have already tried.

The Black is the "earthiest" of the line for me so far. Yesterday,late in the day, someone asked me if I was wearing patchouli oil.....it was Black Aoud. Don't worry though, I don't get massive patchouli from Black Aoud,just a nice little bit. :-)