Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Piper Nigrum vs. Montale Red Vetyver

I really think they're very different and if it's an option, you'd want to get both. However, personally, I prefer PN. As mentioned in other threads, RV is similar to (or at least reminiscent of) Terre D'Hermes. I've tested both and I agree. Those two aren't very appealing to me.
    RM
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Smile Re: Piper Nigrum vs. Montale Red Vetyver

Piper Nigrum all the way.. I really need a full bottle of this stuff!
    Last edited by deck89; 5th August 2008 at 06:19 PM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Blog Entries

Red Vetyver will be a safer option. But Piper Nigrum will be much more My vote is for Piper Nigrum.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Seven days in a week. You need Red Vetyver. :-)
    Distinct from Piper Nigrum I say. Nothing to warrant comparison IMO.

Fins, some say that Red Vetyver is very similar to Terre D' Hermes. Have you tried that one?
    I see where people think they are similar but I thing that RV wins over TDH hands down.
    Again, I don't really follow the Piper Nigrum comparison and think that if you like both, they both warrant a place in your collection.
    The Red Vetyver will work well in court. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Seven days in a week. You need Red Vetyver. :-)
    Distinct from Piper Nigrum I say. Nothing to warrant comparison IMO.

Fins, some say that Red Vetyver is very similar to Terre D' Hermes. Have you tried that one?
    I see where people think they are similar but I thing that RV wins over TDH hands down.
    Again, I don't really follow the Piper Nigrum comparison and think that if you like both, they both warrant a place in your collection.
    The Red Vetyver will work well in court. :-)
    Amen to that...

PN and RV are COMPLETELY different, IMO, once you overlook the pepper connection.

As for RV and TDH, do you want fresh orange juice or Robinson's orange squash? Think about it...
    Last edited by Trebor; 6th August 2008 at 09:42 AM.

As others have mentioned Red Vetyver is almost a clone of Terre d' Hermes. It smells a little better than TdH because it lacks the metallic haziness over the woods that TdH has - but otherwise is identical in smell to it. Piper Nigrum is a nice pepper/mint lavender type fragrance that is refreshing and dries down into a very pleasant masculine traditional scent. I like Piper Nigrum the most of these two but it is very different and doesn't really compare well to Red Vetyver. From Villoresi, Uomo is also quite good and should be tried along with Piper Nigrum - the drydowns are very similar but the openings are different. Uomo is a favorite of mine.

A good rose fragrance is Le Labo Rose 31, and I also like Washington Tremlett Black Tie - but it sounds like you are committed to getting a Montale. Golden Aoud is excellent, and much less demanding than Black Aoud - I have both and like them. Aoud Rose Petals is very nice too and is gentler than black aoud by half.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    A good rose fragrance is Le Labo Rose 31, and I also like Washington Tremlett Black Tie - but it sounds like you are committed to getting a Montale. Golden Aoud is excellent, and much less demanding than Black Aoud - I have both and like them. Aoud Rose Petals is very nice too and is gentler than black aoud by half.
    I am trying to keep the cost of a rose scent down somewhat. Le Labo is expensive. I have been told about TDC Rose Poivree and it seems as though it does not last long. I have tested Black, Damascus and Attar and the Black was the best smell. I have read that maybe Rose Petals and Queens Roses are interesting, but the guys who have made suggestions that kinda know my scent profile keep saying Black is what will be what I want, including Trebor and Vijay. Attar was going to the sweet side (and I think AdP Colonia does that too, but without going to powder or perfumey). I do like the spice of Red Vetyver, and I read that Tauer's rose is more incense than rose. Id kinda like the rose to predominate but be balanced with spice if it could. Black has the patchouli and that kinda gives it a touch of warmth. Yeah, Montale seems to be where I am headed if only because at $150 or so, I want the juice to last. I get to work around 7:00 a.m. and I'd like to be able to smell a little scent on me around 3:00 p.m., though I would refresh if I was going to an important dinner that evening.

Already ordered Red Vetyver...can´t say nothing more

Default Re: Lasting power of Montale

Thought I would ask this in here instead of beginning a new thread.

How many sprays of Black Aoud does everyone use? When I first got it I was able to detect it for hours with just one spray to my neck but now I spray it and fail to catch any whiffs of it. Just today I sprayed one blast to the chest and another in the air and walked through it and the only time I can smell it properly is when I sniff under my t-shirt... hmm.

Has my nose become so used to it? Also how many sprays is neccesary for other people to detect it?

Default Re: Lasting power of Montale

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    One spray of Lime Aoud is almost too much. It would outlast even the Energizer Bunny!
    LOL! That's really a good comparison, clapclapclapclap......
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Default How much and how to apply Montale

I know people have said don't apply too much Montale, but since it is a spray, how much to apply, and where? Tips on how?

Default Re: How much and how to apply Montale

I spray one on my chest and then another spray which I walk through. Thats with Black Aoud and Aoud Lime.

BA, I would apply one spray on one wrist and then rub it very lightly on the other wrist and then dab both on neck. and one spray to chest. two sprays, thats it.

One spray to tha' chest, one to tha' small of my back... Unless I'm wearin' my kilt- then 1 chest, 1 behind each knee.
    - A spritz of Caron may be quite continental, but (a flacon of) Guerlain is a perfumisto's best friend...

finsfan, I think you should simply experiment yourself, as everyone's different.

Most Montales die down within the first hour, so I wouldn't be too concerned about 'overdoing' it. As for me, at least six sprays of any Montale is my minimum application. Life's too short for being f***ing coy...

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    One spray to tha' chest, one to tha' small of my back... Unless I'm wearin' my kilt- then 1 chest, 1 behind each knee.
    You wear a kilt in kanada? Err, Canada :P

I wear one spray, and just one. Aoud Lime and Black Aoud are very powerful scents. A spray on the left wrist, rubbed on the right wrist, and then dabbed on the neck is more than enough for a good 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    You wear a kilt in kanada? Err, Canada :P

I wear one spray, and just one. Aoud Lime and Black Aoud are very powerful scents. A spray on the left wrist, rubbed on the right wrist, and then dabbed on the neck is more than enough for a good 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    finsfan, I think you should simply experiment yourself, as everyone's different.

Most Montales die down within the first hour, so I wouldn't be too concerned about 'overdoing' it. As for me, at least six sprays of any Montale is my minimum application. Life's too short for being f***ing coy...

Holy ****...

Oh yeah. I agree,any other way is unacceptable.

They do calm down after an hour or so you'll be fine with your regular application.

Fins, you wear some powerful scents at baseline so the Montale should be similar.
    Just remember that when your wife looks at you like you are crazy for using so much scent before you leave the house, tell her that by the time your first client walks in the door, it'll be fine. ;-)

I wore 6 sprays of Attar (boosted with extra Aoud) today,I'd not worn it for a long,long time. What you say about settling after an hour is very true. I was a little worried about having overdone it,no need though as within an hour or so it had settled top a "just right" level. I'd forgotten how nice it is,too

Are you guys sure you're just not getting used to the smell after an hour? I remember the first time I sprayed a half-spray of Lime Aoud on, it was just perfect. Lasted the entire day, the entire night, and until I took a shower the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by Leifer View Post
    Are you guys sure you're just not getting used to the smell after an hour? I remember the first time I sprayed a half-spray of Lime Aoud on, it was just perfect. Lasted the entire day, the entire night, and until I took a shower the next day.
    Yeah, I can see your point. It's probably down to all those years of cocaine abuse...

BA, AL kinda frags for an hour? man, quite unbelivable. skin types could play havok. btw, has it turned? whats the date on it? :

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    BA, AL kinda frags for an hour? man, quite unbelivable. skin types could play havok. btw, has it turned? whats the date on it? :
    [sniffs] Erm... Eh?! [shiffs]

Yeah, I can see your point. It's probably down to all those years of cocaine abuse...
    Yup, college will do that to you I'm going through it right now. Except, instead of snorting coke, I use this:

Nah, not at all! I think it "settles" down in an hour but is still present for the rest of the day...and then some. That initial, powerful blast calms down enough on my skin to warrant my usual, heavier application without blowing anyone out of the room.

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Nah, not at all! I think it "settles" down in an hour but is still present for the rest of the day...and then some. That initial, powerful blast calms down enough on my skin to warrant my usual, heavier application without blowing anyone out of the room.
    Exactly... [sniffs repeatedly]

Life's too short for being f***ing coy...
    AMEN!

They stay on me for 3-4 hours max and after the first hour one would need to press their nose to my skin to be able to smell it

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    They stay on me for 3-4 hours max and after the first hour one would need to press their nose to my skin to be able to smell it
    ever considered skin transplant my freind?

Default Re: Piper Nigrum and Montale Red Vetvyer

Might consider GIT, MI or Incense Rose by Tauer as well