Code of Conduct

Default New member intro...

Hello! Can I just say how excited I am to have found this place? I've spent the last few hours browsing and this seems like a very well-informed, interesting community. I practically squee-ed out loud.

About me: the classic line on philistinism applies here - "I know what I like". Scent has always, always fascinated me and I bring a total eagerness to the subject, but at the same time I lack a base knowledge of many aspects. For example, outside of obvious notes (e.g. grapefruit, vanilla etc.) I'm not good at identifying single notes, simply because I've never been educated - no ability to match the scent to the name.

My go-to scent is Monyette Paris, which I loved on first-sniff and which I continue to love. Other big favourites include Luctor et Emergo by PotL (this seems unpopular based on what I've read on a number of perfume blogs?), Blu by Bruno Acampora, Jasmin by Bruno Acampora, Kai (the oil, not the EDT), L'Eau d'Hiver, Lea St Barth (especially layered with Monyette and left to melt into the skin for a few hours - vanilla scents seem very tricky to get right and I loooove this one), Jardin sur le Nil by Hermes... I could go on and have surely forgotten some. Gucci seems to make perfumes that agree with my nose, for some reason. The original Rush is lovely.

Unfavourites include, at the top of the list, Thierry Mugler Angel. Just foul, to my nose. Many of my friends love it, though. No accounting for taste. Lolita Lempicka was also fairly awful, and in general I don't go for sharp or loud scents. 'Sporty' isn't a category I'm into.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Good = soft, subtle, girlish, (but not 'girly' if that makes any sense at all), milky/creamy, whispered not shouted, light but not insubstantial, cashmere and clean cotton, almond, vanilla (not sharp or too-sweet vanilla, though), white flowers, lavender, jasmine, Fall and Winter, tropical (again not loud tropical).

Bad = heavy, cloying, too sweet (gourmand can be very nice but not all of them), too high pitched, too spicy/musky, too much sillage.

And last but not least, a question. I'm a grad student and have a number of friends who are wildly into BPAL (Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab). They convinced me and I ordered about 25 samples, NONE of which I liked. What is the story with BPAL? I thought they used only pure essential oils but many of the scents I ordered were overpowering and juvenile, to my nose. Their website is so tempting and their descriptions were so evocative, I got totally sucked in and then badly disappointed. I'll be putting all of the samples up on eBay soon.

Btw, Thanks for having me!
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Default Re: New member intro...

Hello and welcome to basenotes!!

You sound very confident in what you like, which should make it easy for you to continue to find new scents that tickle your nose in just the right way.

Based on what you pros and cons of scents that you have smelled I would suggest the entire L'Artisan line. In particular, I would like you to test: Jour de Fete, Tea for Two, Safran Troublant, and Voleur de Roses. I think that you will enjoy this fragrance house so I would like to hear back from you if you end up testing any of their scents.

As for your question... There is no right and wrong when it comes to using pure, natural, synthetic, or any other kind of oil. There are people who like some smells and people who despise fragrance royalty. Pure essential oils does make a fragrance worth testing. There has to be the right combination of ingredients, not matter how pure or diluted. That is why we have the choice to select from the thousands of fragrances out there. If they sound good and they aren't, oh well. It just wasn't your cup of tea.

Blog Entries

Let me say hi also! I'm fairly new to Basenotes, but also quite eager to learn, and found this place much to my liking. I enjoy the informed opinions of other perfume sites and blogs, but this one is the most enjoyable to me. Perhaps that is because it's like a 1-room schoolhouse, where older kids (the very knowledgeable "noses") and the little kids (like me!) can interact. My wife is also becoming a perfumista, and she also loves Un Jardin sur le Nil. She can't stand Angel, either! (I think it's an amazing scent, but I don't have to wear it.) My wife generally likes Chanel, Dior, and Hermès, and is now itching to try Guerlain.

I can swear by L'Artisan as well. Their scents are awesome. Many are stunningly beautiful. Most work wonderfully on both men and women, while others lean more one way than the other. This house does a few, exceptionally well-crafted scents, as opposed to a plethora of 3/4-baked ones. Safran Troublant simply overwhelmed me the first time I tried it. Even their heaviest scents are restrained enough to be tolerable, yet all have a substantial nature that lets one sense them fully.

Sorry about that - I'm getting all fan-boy about L'Artisan again. I think it's because I'm about to buy a bottle from them.

Anyway, welcome to Basenotes!!! And don't forget to report your SotD (scent of the day). It's a great way to get to know the other Basenoters, and to let them get to know you.

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post

Good = soft, subtle, girlish, (but not 'girly' if that makes any sense at all), milky/creamy, whispered not shouted, light but not insubstantial, cashmere and clean cotton, almond, vanilla (not sharp or too-sweet vanilla, though), white flowers, lavender, jasmine, Fall and Winter, tropical (again not loud tropical).

Bad = heavy, cloying, too sweet (gourmand can be very nice but not all of them), too high pitched, too spicy/musky, too much sillage.

Serge Lutens Louve is an almond based scent that you might like. Another fragrance you may like is Puro Lino.

Hello LedByMyNose (I love your pseudo), welcome here !
    I am brand new as well but as passionate as you are.

If you are looking for the equivalent of Basenotes in French, you also have Beauté Test - section Les Parfums. A very nice and friendly community as well even if the perfumes people talk about are fairly different.

I like the idea of Voleur de Roses. My other choices would be Lipstick Rose (Frédéric Malle) and Jour de Fête from l'Artisan Parfumeur. You might love the Ormond Jayne florals as well.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Thank you for the welcome and the responses!

It's interesting I don't yet own any L'Artisan. Not even any samples, because I am tempted by many of them and have been considering getting a few (samples) online, so given the two big recs in this thread I think I'm going to go for it. Fleurs d'Oranger (the one-off) looks quite yum.

Puro Lino is also already on my Luckyscent wishlist (again, sample size, I always get a sample first), the description and reviews have my hopes up rather high.

As for BPAL, I hope I didn't sound condescending (I probably did though, I'm always putting my foot in it without meaning to) - they just smelled very similiar to me, and some of the ingredients/notes listed were for things I was unaware could be used in essential oil form. An interesting and unique one was called Eden and I also didn't mind one of the Halloween-y pumpkin-y scents, but they'd be better in a burner. The smell of pumpkins is nice, but not sure *I* want to smell like a pumpkin.

Anyway, I'll try and list a ton of the samples I have and don't want in the swap area, so check it out if interested - I'm putting 99% of my BPALs on there, too.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Edit: oops, one more thing - any thoughts on Carnal Flower? I'd love to try it. Tuberose is a scent I generally adore, although I strangely do not like Fracas at all.

And thanks for the tip, Night!
    Last edited by LedByMyNose; 17th July 2008 at 06:42 AM.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry