Code of Conduct

Default Any interesting non French/Italian/English/American scents out there?

The vast majority of scents we discuss here seem to be either French, Italian,
    British or American. Are there any good German, Spanish, Japanese or other
    countries perfumes out there? Russian maybe? I know about 4711 and Dali,
    but apart from them I'm pretty clueless.Does Eastern Europe have any hidden gems?
    Or Asia?

Default Re: Any interesting non French/Italian/English/American scents out there?

Well, I could write about Russian perfumes a bit.

Novaya Zarya was a leader of Soviet perfumery, and any vintage perfumes from Soviet era are must-try and often must-buy. Right now they are merely copycats of western perfumes. Krasnaya Moskva (Red Moscow) is their only hit, which had been made in the beginning of XX century and still nice but formula changed dramatically.

Faberlic brand make cosmetics and perfumes, and while it`s MLM company, the scents were made by Pierre Bourdon. And he make it even now, in sight of his retirement.
    I`ve got two colognes of Faberlic, they are cheap but classy and gives enough quality. Every cent of their 30 USD scents is spent wisely. The success is built upon the great perfumer indeed.
    I have those bottles as gifts in case some foreighners to visit.

Mirra-Lux is another MLM company. And while I don`t care about their cosmetics, they have an excellent range of original perfumes (poor but nice package) made by Alla Belfer, one of the best Soviet and Russian perfumers. Also in my present box - for tourists.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Default Re: Any interesting non French/Italian/English/American scents out there?

Very interesting topic, kewart, and information on Russian scents, moonfish. Pity I wasn't sufficiently obsessed when I visited St. Petersburg

Kewart, a line that immediately came to mind is the German Biehl Parfuemkunstwerke. It is German, although the noses are international. Quite a few interesting scents in there, such as those by Arturetto Landi, Marc Buxton, Patricia Choux.

Another German one is the Berlin-based Harry Lehmann, founded in the 20ies. I have only tested the Russisch Juchten (which is a lovely, well-made classic leather, rather masculine) and Bandarabas (which didn't agree with my skin...it is a floral with a remarkable dose of oakmoss - anyway, it has a very vintage feel), thus I cannot vouch for the other scents. He has quite a lot to offer, at very reasonable prices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Oooh I'm itching to try the Biehl Parfumkunstwerk line. One of the ones by Mark Buxton (I think it's named MB01) sounds lovely. "bergamot, mimosa, blackcurrant, tuberose, gardenia, champaca, jasmine, amber, musk, sandalwood"

I hope there are more responses to this topic, btw, I'm v. curious.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Blog Entries

I'm glad to see this too.

I asked the same thing a while back over on the men's side and only got a referral to a Brazilian line of scents/body products.

American and Western European countries seem to get the most attention, but I knew there had to be lines from those parts of the world that aren't often represented. Not just ouds and not just things with the name "Russie" in them. I'm looking forward to checking out the recommendations.

Thank you!
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Thanks for your replies so far. I'm particularly curious about
    Eastern scents. Is Shiseido Japanese?

Annayake is a line of Japanese skin care/cosmetics. They make the most wonderful fragrances. I have their Natsumi (Summer) and I'm hoping to collect the rest of their season fragrances. I particularly liked the winter one I smelled. Forget the name, though.....

And what about our own Ayala (Canadian) http://www.ayalamoriel.com/....and JazzTweety http://www.opulentals.com/ (German)

Check the reviews here and on POL or BdeJ!!! Wonderfully talented all.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

You guys across the pond are luckier! A German friend sent me to try Annayake pour Elle (there is also pour Lui, I suppose) and Hanami a few years ago, and this is LOVE!

There are also:
    -- Matsuri;
    -- Hanami (spring);
    -- Natsumi (summer);
    -- Tsukimi (autumn) and
    -- Yukimi (winter).

Aigner Black : German scent. Somewhat dark with plenty of (black) musk. I love the way musk is handled here without making it too dark or broodingly goth.

Biehl Parfumkunstwerke : These are a series of scents Thornston Biehl did with a wide range of perfumers. A lot of them are pretty interesting to my nose, the variety here is mindboggling. German, again.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Speaking of Eastern Europe, there's also the signature scent from the Lithuanian fashion designer Juosaz Statkevicius aka Josef Statkus, which was all the rage a while ago and isn't talked about much lately. A soft and seamlessly blended incense fragrance worth trying, but not worth the price they ask for IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Shiseido and Kanebo are Japanese most popular parf\cosmetic companies.
    I have and wear Goce Kanebo which is sweet oud cologne, Tactics Shiseido cologne (reminds me Eau de Campagne) and Eroica Kanebo (lemon and heavy musk).
    As for gems - Shiseido makes very limited edition perfumes especially for different jubilees. They are expensive (Kamakuro, for instance), but never been sold in mass, only like gifts - they are soooooo beautiful and complex!!! You could find them in Japanese e-bay or in antiquity shops there. Gifts are dear for parents, not for their kids and other relatives.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

The Canadian artisan perfumer, Ayala Moriel, has been mentioned. I have six of her scents and enjoy them all.
    KNIZE, a German company, has had a lot of discussion on the men's side. Knize Forest is a superb green scent.
    I have a lovely and inexpensive Spanish splash cologne, Agua de Colonia Concentrada by Avarez Gomez. It's good, and so affordable you could bathe in it. It isn't listed in BN anywhere that I can see.
    And I have a little jewel of a scent called Hamsa from Swissarabian, a company in the United Arab Emirates. It is a very powerful scent, I need to revisit it.
    PS -- I remembered La Base, which is a Swiss company. I love their LB for Him, it is a subtle pine-herbal scent, like a Swiss mountain meadow.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by odysseusm; 22nd September 2008 at 05:19 PM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

By Redo Rose Noir - it's Swedish!

Maja by Myurgia, is, I believe, Spanish. That's the only scent I could recall that might fit your criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    And what about our own Ayala (Canadian) http://www.ayalamoriel.com/....and JazzTweety http://www.opulentals.com/ (German)

Check the reviews here and on POL or BdeJ!!! Wonderfully talented all.
    Oh, good tip, Taolady!
    I was starting to think that the trend of independent artisanal perfumers was a phenomenon restricted to the Americas. I will definitely be checking out Opulentals now.

Anyone know of other indie perfumers outside the US and Canada?

Sur la Plage

Andy Tauer fragrances - Swiss
    J Del Pozo fragrances - Spain
    Loewe fragrances - Spain
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread