Code of Conduct

Default Last night I wore a sample of Amouage GOLD Man... Or should I say PAMPERS Gold?

Last night I decided to give my Amouage's Gold Man sample a try...

According to Amouage.com, this is supposed to be a "powerful floral fragrance made for the most special, luxurious, evening occasion, rich in sophistication and splendour."

My wife and I went out to have dinner at a restaurant and then to walk by the river... So its supposed to be a romantic outing...

but...

The entire night both my wife and I keep on smelling a sort of "brand new diapers" smell... It was horrible...

I could not believe Amouage consider this scent to be "luxurious", "floral", "special", or even "sophisticate"

What a great deception having in mind that REFLECTION is one of my all time favorite perfumes.

Have you felt the same?
    Last edited by glovesg; 18th July 2008 at 01:12 AM.

Default Re: Last night I wore a sample of Amouage GOLD sample... Or should I say PAMPERS Gold

[QUOTE=glovesg;1262596]Last night I decided to give my Amouage's Gold Man sample a try...

According to Amouage.com, this is supposed to be a "powerful floral fragrance made for the most special, luxurious, evening occasion, rich in sophistication and splendour."

My wife and I went out to have dinner at a restaurant and then to walk by the river... So its supposed to be a romantic outing...

but...

The entire night both my wife and I keep on smelling a sort of "brand new diapers" smell... It was horrible...

I could not believe Amouage consider this scent to be "luxurious", "floral", "special", or even "sophisticate"

What a great deception having in mind that REFLECTION is one of my all time favorite perfumes.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with Amouage Gold for Men. My description is cat piss on grandma's rug - no wonder it spoiled your dinner. Very romantic in the "rest homes" I hear.

Default Re: Last night I wore a sample of Amouage GOLD Man... Or should I say PAMPERS Gold?

I think Pampers are sexy on the right woman.

Default Re: Last night I wore a sample of Amouage GOLD Man... Or should I say PAMPERS Gold?

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    I think Pampers are sexy on the right woman.

I love it samplermike - you've got a great sense of humor tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I love it samplermike - you've got a great sense of humor tonight.
    I find it rather creepy and very illegal.

As for Pamepers... you should try Hammam Bouquet.

I've got one on you: my Creed Bois de Santal smells like Pampers full of baby shit dusted with baby powder. I do love it on occasion though.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Pampers full of baby shit dusted with baby powder.
    Now THAT on the right woman is creepy and in some states illegal.

Cheers,
    Al

Yeah Amouage Gold smells like baby powder...Whats new?

Yes, I think it`s very luxurious and sophisticated indeed. -But I can`t wear this stuff..It`s just too much! It`s high quality, it has a luxurious aura, but to me it smells like a womens perfume. It would suit a mature, stylish, classy woman. I put this on the bottom of my Amouage favourites..

I love Gold for all the reasons everyone seems to be hating it. It veers so far off the masculine superhighway that I feel like I'm living in a parallel universe when I wear it. If you don't like powder/tonka bean you will absolutely hate this one. Citrus, powder and civet, ahhhhh!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 6th July 2010 at 05:37 PM.

I cannot stand Amouage Gold, or really anything else from their line other than Dia.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumire Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

The fragrance is luxurious and sophisticated but very outdated, I never smelled cat piss so I cannot make any comparison with it. (really now... cat piss?)

Amouage Gold isn't for anybody, it's definitely a love/hate scent, and like many other scents you can't understand the love if you're on the hate side.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    The fragrance is luxurious and sophisticated but very outdated, I never smelled cat piss so I cannot make any comparison with it. (really now... cat piss?)

Amouage Gold isn't for anybody, it's definitely a love/hate scent, and like many other scents you can't understand the love if you're on the hate side.
    Wise words!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    ...Amouage Gold isn't for anybody, it's definitely a love/hate scent, and like many other scents you can't understand the love if you're on the hate side.
    I am a proud member of the love-it group.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by glovesg View Post
    Last night I decided to give my Amouage's Gold Man sample a try...

but...

Have you felt the same?
    I can't keep quiet on this one. ANYONE who pays $300 for this stuff needs to get a psych eval!! You can get the same effect with buying a $3 bottle of johnson and johnson baby shampoo and taking a bath in it. It blows my mind. Some perfumes/colognes are well worth the money. This one, not even close.

I only tried Lyric Man and loved it. Amouage is hard to come by and they're very expensive.

I'm with the OP on this one.....not my style. This or any of the line I've tried.

Yup... Gold almost made me gag when I tried it, and to me Reflection man smells like a fried corn tortilla, and my friend I was with when I wore it agreed lol Only one I like from this line is Lyric man, although I haven't tried Epic, Homage or Silver

After several weeks of testing and sampling fragrances from Amouage, it has grown to become my favourite fragrance house. The only one (of the male fragrances) I didn`t care about was Gold, and also Lyric because I`m not a big fan of to much rose in male scents. I must give it some more time!
    I think the scents from Amouage smells extremely luxurious and refined, and the sillage and longevity are outstanding. They are very expensive, but you get what you pay for! -The scent, the bottle, the box.. everything from start to finish is top quality stuff.
    My favourites are Jubilation XXV, Silver, Dia, Reflection, Ciel, and Epic. As I said before, Gold is just too much for me..
    Last edited by Oslo-Fjord; 6th July 2010 at 08:18 PM.

I'm only familiar with the Gold for women. It was complex, but the overall effect was akin to a skanky baby doll.

Love!!!!!!

Haha, I love your sig picture, Sug.

Basenotes Institution

I must agree with the OP, this scent is one of the very few that I had to wash off of me, because it was annoying the hell out of my nose. It's powder is oppressive and a bit overwhelming.

Nonetheless I am a big Amouage fan and it's other scents are (for the most part) fantastic.

Blog Entries

There's a specific combination of civet, tonka, and powder that never fails to smell like a poopy diaper on me. Not just the poop, but I can smell the plasticy diaper smell, too.

I get the same gross-out from Jicky...
    Has everyone checked out my Top 100 Blog??

Once i was a hater of Gold, now i'm a lover of Gold...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    we know, you just made a thread about it.

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

Blog Entries

LMAO This thread is gold! Or poopy Pampers.

Good for you, change1.

I found it interesting, but that's it. This scent is interesting like a museum - love to visit, don't want to live there.

Love the thread title.

Strong baby powder note in Gold for me as well....I’m really surprised so may people like it.

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post

Arent you the one that started the 'Does any man actually wear Amouage Gold' thread ?

What happened lol ?

Named GOLD as in GOLDEN YEARS? Whatever the case, this was the least favorite of all from Amouage. Just plain yuck!
    - Expect the unexpected

if you say "it took me a while to appreciate this scent", I often interpret it as "i hated this scent but it's made by _____ (respected house) or because basenoters tell me I am supposed to like it.....so therefore I have forced myself to like it".

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    if you say "it took me a while to appreciate this scent", I often interpret it as "i hated this scent but it's made by _____ (respected house) or because basenoters tell me I am supposed to like it.....so therefore I have forced myself to like it".
    *cough*musc ravaguer*cough*

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄ lck t ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

I have yet to appreciate a scent based on how many basenoters like it, but I'm an idiot so I keep trying. To prove it I have a box with samples of Egoiste, Jubilation XXV, Musc Ravageur, Aventus, Chergui . . . .

But this thread is getting sidetracked. Amouage Gold? Just smelled weird to me, but not anything like diapers. I have yet to try an Amouage that I like.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Gold is one that I do not like at all.....I did not get the pampers note thankfully.....I just do not like this fragrance!!!
    Gary

I am not crazy about it. It's okay.

I do find that Gold Man reminds me of J&J baby powder from when I was a child. I actually quite like it for this. It also made me respect the fragrance they put into the baby powder more because it's certainly not mainstream or generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    This scent is interesting like a museum - love to visit, don't want to live there.
    Have you ever been at Pergamon or La Specola? LOL

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Member

It actually smells quite pleasant on my skin, but definitely not worth the high price tag for me. For $300, I expect the fragrance to be more than pleasant.