Code of Conduct

Default Testers...worth is?

I have been waiting to buy some SMW from Scentiments for quite some time. It seems, for some odd reason, they aren't getting any new shipments of their 2.5 oz bottles in. They do have testers though.

I've heard from some that testers are inferior, and that the juice in them may not be as good as those from a legitimate bottle.

Should I make the plunge and buy a tester? Or since I'm getting into the world of collecting Creeds, should I wait to find a full, non-tester bottle?
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Default Re: Testers...worth is?

I never had a problem with testers. You will not get the original packaging. Often times, the cap will be missing. There will probably be a sticker with the word tester on the bottle somewhere, but the juice remains the same. Never had a problem with getting a tester that didn't smell like the original. I've never purchased a Creed tester but I imagine that that the juice would be the same. If they put inferior juice, how much in sales would they lose becuase a customer did not like the way the scent smelled even though it was not representative of what the real scent smelled like.
    Last edited by HarryC; 18th July 2008 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
    I never had a problem with testers. You will not get the original packaging. Often times, the cap will be missing. There will probably be a sticker with the word tester on the bottle somewhere, but the juice remains the same. Never had a problem with getting a tester that didn't smell like the original.
    I agree. Testers are a great way to buy authentic fragrances at reduced prices. I have bought a lot of testers, including a number of Creeds, and have never been disappointed.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I have also considered decants, but shopping at the perfumed court and other places gets expensive for one or two fragrances, especially when you take into account standard shipping rates regardless of how much you buy.
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

I've never had problems with testers either. Plus it would kind of defeat the whole purpose of having testers if they don't contain the same juice as what they're trying to sell.

Over half my collection are testers.

I have never had problems with testers. In fact, I specifically search out for them when I am buying fragrances. Why pay more for the extra packaging?
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

I have bought testers from Scentiments and I've never had a problem either. Another option would be costco. They sell SMW in the 120ml size in retail packaging ( cap and box ) with the serial number intact for much less than Neimans/Saks.

Whoa, costco sells fragrances? I've never seen any around. LA's costco stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by uli View Post
    I have never had problems with testers. In fact, I specifically search out for them when I am buying fragrances. Why pay more for the extra packaging?
    Because we graphic designers are paid hard earned dollars to design those things.

It's a matter of opinion, I just like looking at the boxes

Yes I buy testers.We have an excellent website here in the u.k with a small selection at knockout prices.All are genuine and there are some hard to find and unusual fragrances on their list.E.g I have just bought 4 Brosseau fragrances at about a quarter of their retail price.Sometimes this is good if you buy without trying ,then if you dont like the smell you are not wasting a fortune
    Last edited by funnyboy; 18th July 2008 at 04:52 PM.
    funnyboy

Quote Originally Posted by funnyboy View Post
    Yes I buy testers.We have an excellent website here in the u.k with a small selection at knockout prices.All are genuine and there are some hard to find and unusual fragrances on their list.E.g I have just bought 4 Brosseau fragrances at about a quarter of their retail price.Sometimes this is good if you buy without trying ,then if you dont like the smell you are not wasting a fortune
    What's the website if you don't mind me asking?

Dependent

Last edited by MFJ; 19th November 2009 at 06:17 PM.