Code of Conduct

Default Just One Day......

OK I wanted to try this out because I haven't done it in a while. I went one day without wearing any scent of any kind. I have gone days without wearing perfume, but I would at least put on a scented lotion of some kind. I have never just purposely gone without a scent unless I'm sick or something, but even then I've been known to spray on a little something like Love Spell.

I have always had a blood hound nose. I can smell things other people can't and rather intensely. I find that wearing perfume kind of tames the intensity of my ability to smell things at 100X. There are just some things that don't need to be experienced at 100X lol. I really noticed that today. It's funny how as a perfume wearer you find yourself relating and discovering things due to how it smells, especially when you aren't wearing any perfume/cologne.

Let me tell you that it was one of the hardest things I've had to do. It reminds of when I try to go a whole day without drinking a Coke. I must have reached for my perfume or a scented lotion about 20 times lol. I didn't shower with a scented gel. I just used my regular soaps. I didn't use any scented lotions not even my Baby Magic or my Aveda patchouli. I just used my regular lotions.

One of the first things I noticed was how good my clothes smelled. I use the vanilla and lavender downy fabric softner. I felt like a junky or something lol. I mean I just had to smell something scented on myself. When I noticed the scent of my clothes, I felt like I just took my 1st sip of Coke for the day. Ahhhh the 1st sip of Coke. It's just something about satisfying that addiction that many of us have at the start of your day, whether it's coffee, or ciggs, or exercise. I was thinking could wearing perfume be an addiction????? I know that wearing perfume has increased my need to smell things that are pleasant.

I walk towards the front of my apt and I notice the scent of my freshly washed clothes on the bed of the spare bedroom. I walk into the living room and I get an overwhelming scent of watermelon bubble gum that is sitting on the counter in my kitchen. It was a little muggy outside, but I could have been knocked over by the scent of those bird nests that hang in the rafters of my apt building. I have always noticed the scent, but it was really intense today. What does the bird nest smell like you say? I can't really describe it. It's kind of like cedarwood mixed with an animal like smell. I open my mailbox and I can smell that newspaper smell cause my box was filled with junk mail and sales papers. I walk to my car and I noticed the smell of other folk's apts. I can smell the grass. It was cut earlier that day. I got in my car and took in a deep breath. I love the smell of my trees (vanillaroma/coconut). I step out my car at work and the 1st thing I smell is the water from the water treatment thing that is located near our parking lot. It's like smelling rain in the air before it actually rains. When I walk into the hospital, I immediately noticed the smell of someone else's perfume still floating in the air by the time clock. I took a deep breath lol. It's funny because I've been sniffing my co-workers all night lmao!! I'm like a little junky. It's so crazy!!!

This was an enlightening experience to say the least. I have come to crave not only love the smells of beautiful perfumes and colognes, but the need to smell anything with a scent. I have always associated many things with scents. Today, I just wanted to see if I could go a day without wearing any perfume. I kind of felt half dressed, naked even....*giggle*. I love perfume, but never really thought of it as a part of my life so to speak. I mean I wear it every day, but it's like a part of getting dressed so it seemed. It felt funny not having anyone tell me how good I smell today. I have a haibit of smelling my undershirt during the day. Today, I just smell my downy freshness. I've found that my ex was right. I am just a sweet as I can be.....*giggle*. I do have a sweetness in my natural essence. You can smell it in my bed sheets. I love my natural smell. I'm guessing that's why I love gourmands so much. It's very close to my own natural smell and fuels my craving for sweets. It's know wonder that I have a sweet tooth too. Hmmmm makes me think of how all the things that I love are connected.

I want you guys to try it too. Has there ever been a day when you went completely scentless? I mean you didn't wear any kind of scent what so ever, no scented bath wash or lotion. I mean it was just "YOU". I don't mean a lazy day around the house either. I'm talking about your usual day when you would perfume. Have you ever just decided not to wear any kind of scent just for the hell of it? I can so see myself on an episode of A&E's Intervention lmao!! My family and friends would be blocking my vanity and telling me to get help. I would go around sniffing strangers.

I feel so naked lol.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Default Re: Just One Day......

Divatologist, thanks for sharing the smells in your world! Very inspiring...I can't remember going scentless without being ill...why don't we designate (long hesitation ~ gulp ~ deep breath)........................................... .................................................. ............................................
    ................OMG I can barely type it................................................ ................................a fragrance free day? It would be exciting to read about eveyone's olfactory experiences! C'mon now, we can do it.....can't we?!?!?

Your world amplified sounds gorgeous, Divatologist! I like smelling lots of things, but the smell of the subway car is not one of them. Although I do like the dankness of the station and the tunnel. I imagine that I can smell the wet earth around me. And my workplace? No good smells there.

Thanks for the very interesting thread Diva

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    I've found that my ex was right. I am just a sweet as I can be.....*giggle*. I do have a sweetness in my natural essence. You can smell it in my bed sheets. I love my natural smell. I'm guessing that's why I love gourmands so much. It's very close to my own natural smell and fuels my craving for sweets. It's know wonder that I have a sweet tooth too. Hmmmm makes me think of how all the things that I love are connected.
    Oooh enlightenment! Sometimes when I'm sweaty I'll refuse to hug people, however my bf's reaction was "I don't care, there's something about your smell that smells sweet." So that might explain my attachment to gourmands and my huge sweet tooth!

I want you guys to try it too. Has there ever been a day when you went completely scentless? I mean you didn't wear any kind of scent what so ever, no scented bath wash or lotion. I mean it was just "YOU". I don't mean a lazy day around the house either. I'm talking about your usual day when you would perfume. Have you ever just decided not to wear any kind of scent just for the hell of it?
    Noooooo don't drag me away from my perfume!!! Even days when I'm sick and can't smell a thing I wear it. There's something uplifting about pressing those atomisers....

What an interesting post! I have actually gone for longer periods of time without wearing any scent at all, in fact I am awakening from just such a stretch of time at the moment. The reason for me was not to experience myself/my surroundings without the interference of my fragrances but simply due to the fact that I have very sensitive skin that occasionally plays up and necessitates my going "bare" in terms of fragranced body products.

To me perfume/fragrances are a basic, essential part of my life. I have loved fragrances ever since I was a little girl and I grew up in a family in which fragrance was important to everyone around me. My parents, grandparents, aunts, cousins--all of them are or were fragrance fans to some extent. One of my favourite things to do as a child was to play dress up and test my grandmother's perfumes. My grandfather was a real fragrance junkie and I have a lot of memories of going fragrance shopping with him in Berlin's exclusive KaDeWe department store. My mother also instilled a love of fragrance in me and continues to provide inspiration in finding lovely new scents.

I am scent-sensitive in that I absolutely abhor smelling the body odour of others--on a bus, in the subway, in the elevator at work on a hot summer's day--human stench just makes me gag. I am a university lecturer and work with several hundred people a week. Our building smells like a combination of body odour and strong disinfectant cleaning fluid. It is a huge 1970's building with terrible ventilation. So to go without perfume for me is a real nightmare--I need it in order to be surrounded by a pleasant aroma (mine!!) and can distract myself from the fact that so many others--or simply the accumulation of many physical scents--smell less than nice.

I also connect the use of fragrance with attractiveness and sensual allure. I cannot understand people who do not use any fragrance at all. To me it is an essential part of personal grooming, something that enhances personality.

Interesting observations!

Tried it a couple of times myself but always chickened out at the end of the day and cheated with a hand lotion or a fragrant bath. Honestly, I have a 4 pack of Canus scentless soap with goat milk and no way it is getting used -- after taking a shower/bath with it, I just do not feel squeaky clean! Another revelation: I do not remember the smell of my own sweat any more and I do not know if it is a good thing or bad.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post, Divatologist! I felt like I was walking in your shoes, smelling what you smelled.

One of the first things I noticed was how good my clothes smelled. I use the vanilla and lavender downy fabric softner. I felt like a junky or something lol. I mean I just had to smell something scented on myself.
    LOL! I do recognize myself there. Gotta have it!

I pre-sniff everything I buy - hand soap, dish soap, laundry detergent - everything. And I labor over my final purchase decisions for a long time!

It was a little muggy outside, but I could have been knocked over by the scent of those bird nests that hang in the rafters of my apt building. I have always noticed the scent, but it was really intense today. What does the bird nest smell like you say? I can't really describe it. It's kind of like cedarwood mixed with an animal like smell.
    Yes! I know that smell! Sort of twiggy, animalic like an old barn, musty.

Diva, I haven't gone intentionally scentless in I really don't know how long. Your exercise seems like a good one though. It's good to reconnect with the world around us through our sense of smell. Perhaps I'll give it a try one day soon. If I can...

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Divatologist, thanks for sharing the smells in your world! Very inspiring...I can't remember going scentless without being ill...why don't we designate (long hesitation ~ gulp ~ deep breath)........................................... .................................................. ............................................
    ................OMG I can barely type it................................................ ................................a fragrance free day? It would be exciting to read about eveyone's olfactory experiences! C'mon now, we can do it.....can't we?!?!?
    I ... I ... I was thinking this, but I'd n-n-never, ya know, say ...

Divatologist, love the "100x" reference. While reading through you thoughtful expose, I got an image of a gaggle of BNers wandering about, like groups of birders do or those on an architectural walking tour, except our tribe would be pointing in the direction of scent molecules they had caught in the breeze.

Living next to a major highway, a railroad, a dynamiting quarry, an airport and a fleet-maintenance facility, I can appreciate smells (and quiet) outside only on Sundays when all the hubbub winds down. Then the berries, trees, prairie species, pond, river and wind have "voice." One day out of seven, this place is pure heaven.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I thought this was such an interesting idea, and I was inspired to go scentless today. But, just as I was about the leave the house. . . I caved. This truly has to be a sign of addiction. "I can quit anytime. I just don't want to." Perhaps I'll try tomorrow! But I'm also expecting something in the mail, and that may blow my second attempt.

I agree that some people have such a wonderful natural scent, and you're so lucky to be one of them. I don't mind myself a day after not showering. But, if I go three days without a bath (and there have been such days), my smell annoys even myself! Particularly my hair!

My dad refers to the smell as "green." Not in the herbal sense, but in the "ew, you need to shower" sense.

My husband used to be a chain smoker, and when he met me, he "quit." There was one time, when he'd been cigarette-less for 2 weeks, he was standing on the porch after a rain, and he said, "Wow! I can smell the rain! I'd forgotten how good it smells." So I imagine being inundated with scent for years, going scentless really should allow one to smell surroundings better, similar to how quitting smoking does.

Two addictions with similar results.

I hope others will post their experiences about fragrance-free days.

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    ................OMG I can barely type it................................................ ................................a fragrance free day? It would be exciting to read about everyone's olfactory experiences! C'mon now, we can do it.....can't we?!?!?
    Not this chick!

Spritzing does not interfere with appreciation of the ligustrum when I go out the front door - or the slightly ripe sweaty smell of the car cuz I've left my kung fu shoes (and sox) in it overnight - or the hot tar on the newly paved road on the way to work or the rotting garbage behind the restaurant a few doors down or the briny smell of ocean when, windows ajar, I turn down the street leading to the Atlantic to make a delivery or the overwhelming smell of stale tobacco of the guy who just walked in to buy flowers or.........
    But thanks for the honest sharing, all y'all....if you decide to go ahead with it, will you have a Scentless Of The Day thread??
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I live where smell gets trapped into pockets. Someone experiments with cooking bacon on a backyard barbecue. An onion chopped two days ago can still flavor tonight's salad. A dog has lifted his leg on a bush and above this a shimmer of ozone reminds me that the National Weather Service has issued the third severe thunderstorm warning this week. A little bit later, they flash the message that if you are in the storm's path, you should seek shelter. This is not fear-mongering; a tree gouged by nature's white knife is half a block away. Thank God for rain; it wets the pavement and the grass and in the former instance turns into a hot steam that is part Chinese laundry and part automotive bay.

My apartment complex is planted with magnolias and crepe myrtles. The former appear languidly and then drown in the daily storms, their blooms turned into instant parchment. The crepe myrtles have no odor until you thrust your nose into them, and you find that they have a low, musky aroma that makes you wonder why it is not extracted or replicated for use in perfume; if it is, you aren't aware of it. A gardenia bush purchased on Sunday has ten fat, waxy flowers by Saturday and then dies a slow death by drowning, victim of being left out to catch the two rays of sun that are quickly eclipsed by the day's downpour. While healthy, the scent of these blooms makes you never, ever want to wear another gardenia-prominent fragrance, because you realize that the perfume is never as right as nature, and that from time to rotten time nature overdoes things. It's true of jasmine and it's true of gardenia; so much decay, so much wax.

Satre said that hell is other people, and you agree with modification, at least initially. Hell is other people's smells, but then you recognize that same smell on yourself, something that cannot be covered up or prevented by deodorant. And even those with the most pristine mouths have a variety of breath odors, some processes of discovery and some objects of immediate recognition. Liquor, the smell of booze, floats over the fence of a cocktail party as easily the high clink of ice in a tumbler, both set loose on an immoral romp through this Fundamentalist corner of the country, where every other highway billboard has both religious and moral overtones.

Nothing dries here, it's against the law. At least in summer, a certain percentage of moisture is left in everything, and with moisture comes the gray-green smell of imminent mildew, and you learn to somewhat come to terms with it.

I often go scentless. Some family members cannot tolerate scent and I routinely wear it only when I am home alone at night. Nevertheless, some family members have acute senses of smell:

Are you wearing perfume?

No.

But you smell sweet.

I never wear perfume in the daytime.

Then you are naturally perfumey. You must have been born that way.

LOL with Orion (note, not at)! You need to be making money writing, if you are not already!

I love your responses guys!! Oh the rush I got when I sprayed on my perfume today lol! Being a BNer is like the best thing. I knew you guys would understand my experience. I told one of my co-workers that I didn't wear perfume to work that day and she just gave a blank look like......OooooK.

I wonder who will be the next to try.......*giggle*
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I'd love to do this, but it has been literally years since I went without some spritz of something, somewhere to default to during the day. Maybe I'll make it for part of a day, but then I always break down.
    So, did you always notice, so acutely, how everything in your world smells? Or did this happen after you became a perfumista?
    I must admit, I notice more now, even though I've always been scent-oriented.
    Do you think we were all tracking dogs in a previous life?

Blog Entries

I'm scentless so far today, but it's only because I couldn't decide what to wear for "Get The Bats Out Of The Chimney Day". Now I'm left with the choice of wearing something to ignore while fragrance shopping, or holding out for (a) maximum nose at the store, and (b) immediate fragability after buying.

I like breaking down at the end of the day. Smell what nature has to offer for as long as I can hold out, and then give in to the bottle... fragrance lust fulfilled!

Tracking dog in a previous life? LOL! Actually, I was a racoon dog on a mountain in Japan. A reddish-white two-leg creature and a yellow-brown two-leg creature got out of a big boxy thing at the end of the big black rock trail. The yellow-brown creature smelled like the bee-plants. But the other one, with something on the top of its head that said "KOUROS", smelled like a person.