Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default What has Basenotes done for you?

So we saw how many bottles BN has made you buy and we know how much money BN has cost you but what has it done for you?

For me recently...
    (and I am saying this all in fun. Laughing as I type)

I was traveling on business for the last two weeks. Whenever I can (now that I am a BN member) I stop at malls and shops, looking for fragrances to try. Now, I am a normally quiet, shy and introverted person. (however forums and blogs makes everyone extroverted. lol)

Anyway, so I went into a shop and the SA asked what fragrance I wear. I said, "in my summer rotation, Opium Eau d'Orient, Aqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta and M;Men by Masaki Matsushima". Now you all know what these are but she said: "I've never heard of those". "You have expensive taste". Of course, now I fell like the cock of the walk. I was somebody!

I walked out of that store and found another shop. This time it was a male SA. He asked the same question. I gave him the same answer and he took notes!!! I felt important!

It was a fun trip and I ended up coming home with spending too much money for Virtual by Lomani. I do like it though so I am not too upset. This was at a third shop at this same mall. Actually it was a kiosk. The SA was sooooo cute. Between her and my wife they pressured me into the Lomani. At first she offered it at $68, but since it was a slow day she would let it go for $40. I paused and then she offered $35. I should have known something was up but my wife said, ahhh c'mon. Get it. So I did. I gave in. Only to find that Lomani fragrances are going for anywhere from $12 to $29 online. That SA saw me coming. My high was over.

Well for about 1/2 hour though, BN made me the cock of the walk. lol

Default Re: What has Basenotes done for you?

Basenotes has made me addicted...

/thread.

Good story indeed! Lomani is available here too for about the same price.

Well, Basenotes has made me smell good and different from the crowd.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto
    Currently wearing: Desire Silver by Dunhill

Its made me always ask people "what are you wearing?" and then usually make a *educated* guess lol Also sometimes I pass someone in the street with smell I recognise and turn to my girlfriend and say "they were wearing bla bla bla" lol

Besides making me poorer by a few thousand $$, it definitely has made me somewhat prick-ish towards most of the common drugstore/designer fragrances AND the people who wear them.

And I'm not sorry for that either

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes has opened my eyes to how many different fragrance experiences are available. I really had no idea.

Basenotes Plus

it broke my knife collecting addiction which always required a lot of bandages to be close by. That time I grabbed one of my Bowies by what I thought was the handle! OucH!

Basenotes has opened my eye to the art of perfumery and how something so basic, a liquid in a bottle, can transform your feelings and heighten your senses.

The collective knowledge and opinions of all the members here has made my adventure into fragrances so much easier than it would be if I was on my own. I can easily skip over most of the available products and focus only on the ones that are known to be of high quality. I'm amazed at how one can find quite nice fragrances relatively cheap.

Because I've Basenotes I no longer feel self concious when I wear really girly scents like Voleur de Roses or the JPGs (except for Fleur du Male).

Lomani usually costs 5 to $10 for a bottle down here. Smells a lot like Drakkar Noir to me. Pretty good value as it does have good lasting power.
    Renato

"Ask not what Basenotes has done for you. Ask what you have done for Basenotes."

BN has certainly opened my eyes to a wonderful little niche community of connoisseurs. It's always fascinating to observe folks who really know a subject in depth, whether fragrance, food, sky diving, or spelunking. Makes you appreciate the wonders of the human intellect.

Oh yeah... BN has also made me smell a whole lot better - not that I smelled bad before BN!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    "Ask not what Basenotes has done for you. Ask what you have done for Basenotes."

BN has certainly opened my eyes to a wonderful little niche community of connoisseurs. It's always fascinating to observe folks who really know a subject in depth, whether fragrance, food, sky diving, or spelunking. Makes you appreciate the wonders of the human intellect.

Oh yeah... BN has also made me smell a whole lot better - not that I smelled bad before BN!
    Niche!

"Why we're bigger than U.S. Steel" *

* Lee Strasberg - Godfather II

Basenotes has...

-made people question my heterosexuality (I guess the fact that I don't dress like a hobo also factors in)
    -made me spend too much money on material items
    -made me buy enough cologne to last me a few lifetimes
    -gotten me a weekly column about fragrances in my school's newspaper
    -gotten me 0 women

Blog Entries

In a very short time, Basenotes helped me narrow out my favorite dozen or so fragrances out of maybe just under one thousand. I have realized that I still like the same fragrances I always did, and Bowling Green has stayed one of my favorites, even amongst the Maitre/Creed/Bond/Hermes/Amouage/etc.. I now have smelled virtually every men's/unisex fragrance out there, and realize, for me, there are very few worth paying for. And those are the ones I own.

Thank you to everyone.
    Peace.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 21st July 2008 at 04:27 AM.

Dependent

basenotes justified my addiction. I have no other peers locally that find such addiction making any sense. I feel so much in place here. The sense of belonging this forum has provided me with is beyind words. Plus i never would have heard of niche frags had i missed this site. I spend more time on basenotes reading reviews than i do anywhere else since joining, ive bought 15-20 bottles more.
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Dependent

It made me spend a ton of $$ on fragrances!
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Basenotes has greatly contributed to my knowledge of fragrances and deal with my lack of, and I am very grateful for it.
    Last edited by hednic; 18th September 2019 at 09:18 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

The discovery of basenotes has spawned a new hobby, a world of fragrances that I didn't know existed other than spraying a tester strip at a fragrance counter and buying retail.........
    I am now a daily reader of Forum, and a sponge in learning from so many....... Building a collection...... Proud to be a member of basenotes.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Basenotes Plus

Bad: Enabled my bad spending habits. Good: Helped me avoid bad blind buys.

Like any other interest, fragrances present challenges and rewards that appeal to me, but only until it becomes more about the object of my interest than how I go about engaging it for my own fulfillment. Observing this community serves as a useful tool to see where the boundaries are, since those who cross them usually do so in a big way, and are never aware when it happens.

The reviews by and large are somewhat more useful here than those on the other site too.

Basenotes gives me a community of online friends with whom I can share this wonderful hobby. It has helped me not feel so "weird" for owning a collection of colognes.

At the same time, I allow it at times to drive me toward buying too much. That's my fault, not basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by ascotnot View Post
    Observing this community serves as a useful tool to see where the boundaries are, since those who cross them usually do so in a big way, and are never aware when it happens.
    Well put. There are many lessons to learn here if we will apply them.

When I bump into an old friend whom I haven't seen for many years, I find myself saying, "He's a shadow of his former self," as I'm walking away.
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo
    Currently wearing: Erolfa by Creed

Meeting wonderful and like-minded friends both online and offline, gaining more confidence, interest and knowledge regarding this hobby and also not being afraid of both looking for fragrance special offers, but also making the most of these
    Currently wearing: Baobab by Tesori d'Oriente

Freed from BN Institution

Helped expand my knowledge in fragrances overall, wouldn't have been possible without the Basenotes community.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bois Noir by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Basenotes gives me a community of online friends with whom I can share this wonderful hobby. It has helped me not feel so "weird" for owning a collection of colognes.

At the same time, I allow it at times to drive me toward buying too much. That's my fault, not basenotes.
    Agree with your first part. I’ve always felt comfortable and enjoyed everyone here so basically a frantic search for my next scent brought me here for 11 years of good fun with good people

It also allowed me to learn about an industry that I only knew 1% about. Still learning to this day. Its allowed me to explore some wonderful scents I would have never tried before....and I’m considered the guy who loves cologne between family, neighbors and friends
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

Basenotes Plus

Basenotes rescued me from much more expensive hobbies in high fideity audio & diamond collecting. And the best part of this fragrance hobby is that it transcends geography, race and class stereotypes. Fragrancewear is so scalable - spend as little or as much as you can afford and still smell good.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Krycek View Post
    When I bump into an old friend whom I haven't seen for many years, I find myself saying, "He's a shadow of his former self," as I'm walking away.
    This is really funny

Basenotes gave me the opportunity to create a nice hobby
    Currently wearing: Casbah by Robert Piguet

Basenotes Plus

Allowed me to find amazing fragrances I otherwise wouldn’t have, there is a lot to smell without the help of all the basenoter’s that wouldn’t be possible!
    Current Top Favorites

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Guerlain L’Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme EDP
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Christian Dior Dior Homme EDT
    Ralph Lauren Polo