Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default SotW July 12th-18th, 2008

Deep below Stately Somerville Manor in the Scent Cave its time for week 20 of SotW. (guess which movie I’m excited about this week?) It was an exciting week here as the top 10 is really a top 19 and it almost seemed like there was some agent of Chaos at work in the tally this week. Let’s go to the Scentputer to see what the raw numbers were.
    There were a total of 1,072 posts up from 952 in week 19.
    659 scents mentioned up from 612 a week ago.
    451 scents mentioned once for an individuality index of 42.1% up from 442 but down from our all-time high of 46.4% in the previous week.
    All through Basenotes City there were a number of gangs who had the scented streets to themselves. The usual gangs, Guerlain and Hermes were seen in the same numbers as on previous weeks. The biggest upticks in gang activity, here in Basenotes City, came from three performers that had their best weeks ever; Creed, Chanel, and Frederic Malle Editions de Parfum. There are reasons for two of the three that I will touch on as we go through the scents in the top 10. The gangs which dropped off in activity were Estee Lauder and L’Artisan which had much lower than normal weeks.
    So who was the agent of Chaos who turned the top 10 around? I call him The Pollster. His alter ego afraafra placed polls all over Basenotes City. The result is the scents mentioned most around these polls all rocketed into the top 10. It also really led to a top 19 as there was a big logjam at 6 wears this week and thus The Pollster achieved his nefarious scheme and got more than 10 scents to be mentioned.
    Still the big boss in town is Terre D’Hermes and the two Guerlain Brothers in arms Habit Rouge and Vetiver are here. The surprise member of the Guerlain gang is Mitsouko which had its best week ever. Best week ever is going to be a theme as the other scents mentioned in The Pollster’s King of Classics poll posted scents at 2,2,5,9 and 9. The funny thing is Kouros which is also one of the higher vote getters didn’t rate this week. My guess is that it has been getting worn fairly consistently and that the other scents were the ones members needed a reminder of to cast their vote. As I mentioned Two Frederic Malle scents are present Musc Ravageur and Noir Epices. Chanel fueled by the polls put Platinum Egoiste and Pour Monsieur in. Of the 19 scents mentioned this week 11 set their all-time highs. Previous members of the top 10 like Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan and Daim Blond; Christian Dior Eau Sauvage, Guerlain Mitsouko, Frederic Malle Noir Epices, and :L’Artisan Timbuktu fall into this category. First timers Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Bvlgari Aqua pour Homme, Hermes Eau D’Orange Verte, Chanel Pour Monsieur, and Neil Morris Gotham. Gotham is the first Neil Morris scent to crack the top 10 and shows the value of visibility on the site as we saw the same bump for Parfums Raffy a couple of weeks ago. The remainder of the top10 is the usual group consisting of Tauer L’air du Desert Marocain, Dior Homme, Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme, and Comme des Garcons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki.
    So here is the top 10 for July 12th-18th, 2008
    1.) Hermes Terre D’Hermes 13 wears (1.2%)
    2.) Chanel Platinum Egoiste 8 wears (0.7%)
    2.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 8 wears (0.7%)
    2.) Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain 8 wears (0.7%)
    5.) Bvlgari Aqua pour Homme 7 wears (0.6%)
    5.) Guerlain Vetiver 7 wear (0.6%)
    5.) Hermes Eau D’Orange Verte 7 wears (0.6%)
    5.) L’Artisan Timbuktu 7 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Comme des Garcons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Chanel Pour Monsieur 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Dior Eau Sauvage 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Dior Homme 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Frederic Malle Noir Epices 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Guerlain Mitsouko 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Neil Morris Gotham 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Serge Lutens Daim Blond 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 6 wears (0.6%)

There were fifteen scents that were just one wear away. Most noticeably missing from a well-expanded top 10 are any Creeds. There were four in the just missed category of Green Irish Tweed, Bois du Portugal, Silver Mountain Water, and Virgin Island Water. The most interesting of the remaining just missed is the new Montale Red Vetyver which got a pretty good response. The ladies had a Hermes week of Eau des Merveilles and Kelly Caleche just missing. The ladies were also trying out osmanthus and The Different Company Osmanthus was also in the just missed group. None of the other just missed would be surprises to regular readers and I’m going to stop here because I see the great entwined SMM shining in the sky from high atop Basenotes Tower. Commissioner Osborne must have a lead on the whereabouts of The Pollster. I am off in my Scentmobile to answer the call.
    Until next week you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 20th July 2008 at 03:26 AM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SotW July 12th-18th, 2008

no bond mentioned either, interesting statistics you bring every week. Kudos to you and your work, thats some major number crunching you are doing there!

Always a pleasure to read - many thanks!
    BNIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, LIDGE, Bentley Intense, DH, Vintage Rive Gauche pH, M7 gel, Roma (women's), MPG Racine, Obsession, etc.:
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    no bond mentioned either, interesting statistics you bring every week. Kudos to you and your work, thats some major number crunching you are doing there!
    Bond #9 seems to have settled into a very consistent pattern as the weather has turned warmer. This week is the same as the last couple of weeks and so it didn't really change much and wasn't worth a mention, until now.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for another highly enlightening review of the fragrant underbelly of Basenotes City!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost