Code of Conduct

Default 5 Colgones to recommend for all occasions & other questions - Please Advice

G'day to all.

I would like to seek the advice and comments on the selection of colognes, which I am currently using, and potentially having. I am in my late 20's, currently working in the banking industry in Singapore (hot humid, topics) and I believe my selection of my colognes speaks my character and individuality’s uniqueness. I have written down the colognes that I am using and the ones that I would like to purchase.
    Please give me all your comments if there are overlap or too similar in scent.

In my humble collection (commercial brands)
    1) YSL - L' Homme
    2) Channel - Platinum Egoiste
    3) Channel - Allure

In addition to the three above mainstream colognes, I would like to get something less commercial and more unique in nature.

Which brings me to Creed, Serge Lutens and Acqua Di Parma.

Question: what are the main differences between these three boutique brands?

Also, I like more of the woody, musky, earthy scents (but NO SPICE/leather). Which series should I get from the three boutique brands?

From the Creed UK website: they recommend: GIT, ML, Original Vertiver ??? What is your take?

I dun mind fresh scents - citrus (but no aqua / ocean type)

Creed UK Website - VIW, Citrus Bigarrade, Neroli Sauvage???

Q) How about Serge Lutens & Acqua Di Parma, what are the citrus / woody scents?

Q) Also, if I am hitting the night scene in the clubs, what cologne should I use in my present collection or ( Creed, Surge Lutens and Acqua Di Parma)

Q) Lastly, Romantic Setting - dinners or after work drinks

Sorry to all, if I have posted so many questions, but I really hope some kind guru would share their experience with a newbie here.

Cheers to all!

Default Re: 5 Colgones to recommend for all occasions & other questions - Please Advice

those are all really good questions...i have not tried all of the creeds/Aqua di parma you mentioned, so cant make comments on those...

but,
    Q) How about Serge Lutens what are the citrus / woody scents?
    A)looking at your condition tht you dont like spices and leather, i suggest you stay away from Sl.....Citrus woody scents could scents like Paco - XS, Dior Dune, Dior Eau Sauvage concentree, lalique ph Lion et al.

Q) Also, if I am hitting the night scene in the clubs, what cologne should I use in my present collection or ( Creed, Surge Lutens and Acqua Di Parma) -
    A) all are good for partying imho....my recommendations would be ST Dupont Noir, Dior Addict, Azzaro onyx/silver black - those 3 are pretty strong with excellent staying power and fits the club scene perfectly.

Q) Lastly, Romantic Setting - dinners or after work drinks -
    A)Kenneth cole -reaction, Sean John Unforgivable OR "Paco - XS, Dior Dune, Dior Eau Sauvage concentree, lalique ph Lion"
    Last edited by jenson; 20th July 2008 at 11:49 AM.

Default Re: 5 Colgones to recommend for all occasions & other questions - Please Advice

Try these:

Creed Himalaya
    Creed Erolfa
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Creed Silver Mountain Water

Quote Originally Posted by rosw View Post
    G'day to all.

Also, I like more of the woody, musky, earthy scents (but NO SPICE/leather). Which series should I get from the three boutique brands?
    You should try Serge Lutens Bois et Musc, this is both musky and woody, I find this to be a well rounded fragrance. For a musky fragrance to wear for going out to the clubs look no further than Muscs Koublai Khan, a very hard to find fragrance that is either love it or hate it but it is undeniably musky, unique and very sensual.

When it comes to the House of Creed, I'd recommend Silver Mountain Water, Millisime Imperial or Himalaya. All of these would work well in a hot climate. One house that you haven't mentioned but you may find interesting is Nasomatto, especially Duro and Absinth. Duro would be more of business scent while Absinth would be perfect for partying.

Q) How about Serge Lutens & Acqua Di Parma, what are the citrus / woody scents?
    In the Serge Lutens collection the woody scents usually have "Bois" in the title. I'm not aware of any real citrusy scents from this house. Mandarine Mandarin sounds like it should be citrusy but it really is more of a gourmand with lots of candied fruits that I could not imagine wearing anytime but the depths of winter.

Be careful though, many of the Lutens fragrances are quite heavy and could be overpoweing in a hot, humid climate like Singapore unless applied sparingly.
    Last edited by surreality; 20th July 2008 at 06:34 PM.

I have recently embarked on my fragrance journey (started my collection in May 08) and based on the extensive recommendations found here built my meager collection.

Almost all of my buys were blind buys obtained after extensive review of the forums.

I have been pleased with all of my selections and had very high hopes for the various Creeds (MI and GIT were my first two purchases), but unfortunately was sorely disappointed with the Creeds I tried. After numerous wearings they appear meager fragrances at a premium price and I found their longevity sorely lacking, and the distinctiveness of the fragrances wanting (they are all authentic purchased from Fragrancenet.)

I receive various unsolicited comments when wearing a variety of fragrances but never on any of the four Creeds I own (with the exception of Acier Aluminum). When asked I was told they were "ok" or "soso". For the Creed price (which from the forums indicate is supposed to increase 10% soon) I expected more distinctiveness and definitely more longevity.

So the short answer is in regards to the Creeds is I would recommend you sample the Creeds extensively first before purchasing them to ensure they meet your criteria.

There are many scents that I would recommend but based on your criteria are:

Muscs Koublaï Khän - Serge Lutens
    Monocle Scent One: Hinoki - Comme des Garçons
    L'Air du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Musc Ravageur - Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

You should definitely consider the L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer even though not on your list. I had very high hopes for this one and was absolutely blown away. It is a stunning fragrance that is unique and never fails to elicit positive comments by people when I wear it during power business luncheons or out on the town.
    Last edited by Diverdown; 20th July 2008 at 09:37 PM.

I would definitely recommend sampling:

AdP - Colonia
    AdP - Colonia Assoluta

I would avoid the Intensa since you're not a fan of leather...

Also, I think Versace L'Homme (the original one form 1984) would suit you well in that climate...

Good luck!

Have you tried any Penhaligon's?

Hammam Bouquet
    Quercus
    Douro
    Endymion
    Are all good "anytimers".

Of the aforementioned frags, I'll agree with Creed: Erolfa and Bois du Portugal
    and Tauer: L'Air du Desert Marocain

Also, I love them but be careful with Musc Ravageur and Kublai Kahn if you don't like spice/leather.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

fresh scents - citrus= PENHALIGON'S LORDS
    night scene in the clubs=ROMEO GIGLI
    Lastly, Romantic Setting=JEAN PASCAL HOMME.

must have:
    TRUMPER BAY RUM
    VARON DANDY PLATINUM
    PINAUD CLUBMAN
    JOCKEY CLUB C&M
    FLORIS ELITE
    TAYLOR OF BOND STREET Nº 74
    CZECH AND SPEAKE CUBA
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Try these:

Creed Himalaya
    Creed Erolfa
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    I second this. But I would add Original Santal for clubbing

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can get the below colognes as suggested. ( either in singapore, Australia - sydney )

Penhaligon

Dependent

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can get the below colognes as suggested. ( either in singapore, Australia - sydney )

Penhaligon
    Hi,

Im based in Singapore too, and i run an online business, i retail mainstream frags and even take wholesale orders and export internationally, so if u happen to be interested, just Pm me, or check my site out below, not all the frags i carry have been listed. So if u dont see something u like from my site, feel free to enquire anyways
    also, you can take 10-15SGD off the listed prices. I had to follow retail pricing guidelines, but i can privately give discounts.

from sunny sg
    matt
    Last edited by MFJ; 21st July 2008 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks mate,

How about Australia - Sydney? Coles, Myers, David Jones???

Thanks mate,

How about Australia - Sydney? Coles, Myers, David Jones???
    Try Mecca Cosmettica (not sure if they are in the eastern states though...) and DJs for CdG, Serge Lutens and Penhaliagons. You guys are spoilt for choice in Sydney, the stores in Perth carry nearly nothing
    And in the case of Mecca Cosmettica, all the sales assistants have their heads so far up their arses they wont even give you tester cards if you're not 'dressed for the occaision' !
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I cant mention 5, but terre d hermes and bvlgari por homme extreme are 2 very versatile scents

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Try Mecca Cosmettica (not sure if they are in the eastern states though...) and DJs for CdG, Serge Lutens and Penhaliagons. You guys are spoilt for choice in Sydney, the stores in Perth carry nearly nothing
    And in the case of Mecca Cosmettica, all the sales assistants have their heads so far up their arses they wont even give you tester cards if you're not 'dressed for the occaision' !
    Thanks Athony,

Just did a quick search on yahoo.com.au, Mecca does have a few outlets on the East Coast...
    and thanks for the quick tip, i won;t be heading down in my board shorts!

Cheers!

Hi rosw,

Just responded to your PM. Here are some ideas.

Question: what are the main differences between these three Creed, Serge Lutens and Acqua Di Parma?

Also, I like more of the woody, musky, earthy scents (but NO SPICE/leather). I dun mind fresh scents - citrus (but no aqua / ocean type)

Q) hitting the night scene in the clubs, what cologne should I use
    Q) Lastly, Romantic Setting - dinners or after work drinks

Cheers to all!
    OK so I'll just be honest and tell you my experiece.

I don't find ANY of the SLs to be wearable at a consistent level, especially not in a hot humid climate. You should try them and decide for yourself. If I were going to wear any, it would be Gris Clair, Chergui or Ambre Sultan.

I love Creed. A lot don't. Try Green Irish Tweed, Original Vetiver, and for formal occasions and cooler weather, Bois du Portugal. If you like L'Homme and Platinum Egoiste, I think you'd really like GIT and Himalaya. Don't buy them on ebay.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta is citrus woods on a white musk base. I think you'd like it.

Night clubs - yes Musc Ravageur would be good. Go to the Malle website and order small samples of it, Vetiver Ex and French Lover.

Here are a few other suggestions, not necessarily niche or the most famous, but very very good scents which fit some of your criteria (fresh, citrus, woody, musky, earthy...):

Azzaro Pour Homme - the hallmark fougere, earthy green

Rive Gauche - the modern retro fougere

Carven Pour Homme - I just bought this on ebay for $11, it's incredible, great sweet spicy woody for clubbing / romantic

M7 - great woody mysterious fragrance

And please, whatever else you buy, "do yourself a favour" as Molly would say (Aussie joke), and buy a bottle of Ungaro III on ebay for less than $20. It's a classier, more floral fragrance than L'Homme or PE, with more depth, but retains a fresh feel, and is a big compliment getter. You will not regret it.

Cheers

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Most things will move by gracefully with these five:

Rose 31, Le Labo
    New York by Parfum Nicolai
    Habit Rouge edc
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Mugler Cologne