Code of Conduct

Default So how many of you have bought more than one By Killian fragrance?

Do not worry, this isn't an attempt to bash any scent from this line OR bash anyone wearing them, I've received samples of 3 scents from their line from a Basenoter and I simply want to know how many from the By Killian line other Basenoters have bought full bottles of, and which do they think are full bottle worthy.

I'm sitting here with Cruel Intentions dabbed on my wrist and sniffing it reminds me of Lorenzo Villoresi's Alamut, I find Cruel Intentions to have the same comforting musk cloud that Alamut has. I do like the scent, however, I'm not sure why they decided to call it Cruel Intentions as I honestly find nothing sinister about it, to me its quite tame in a little Ms. Goody Good fashion AND I feel they're grossly overpriced for the first bottle.

About the name... maybe they mean that the wearer (he or she) is completely vulnerable to "Cruel Intentions" as they're adrift in this soothing relaxing cloud of olfactory comfort The other samples I have are Straight to Heaven and A Taste of Heaven, I'll be testing these soon.

So let's hear it for the By Killian range!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Re: So how many of you have bought more than one By Killian fragrance?

I love Straight to Heaven and A Taste of Heaven. I can find things boozy and woody more afforable than STH. ATOH is just a more refined eloquent Caron pour Homme. At $225.00 for 50ml they need to be unique enough for me to shell out the bucks. The By Kilian program of after you shell out $225.00 you can get a refill for $115.00 is a joke for me. After 50ml of 90% of most frags I'm already tired of it and have moved on to something else. By kilian is marketing there product to "signature scent" people who will wear there stuff for 20 years. That customer is not me. So I think the By Kilian line in general has nice frags - the 1st rate ingredients being a major plus in my book - still has not got me to buy a bottle.
    Last edited by thebeck; 20th July 2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: add verbage

Sur la Plage

While I like their fragrances, I think they are grossly overpriced. So I have bought 0 bottles.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I agree with both you Gents, I find them overpriced too as I've mentioned in my post.

Judging by it's name, I was kind of expecting Cruel Intentions to have a dark scheming premise but I was disappointed

Whoever does -- please take a photo.. haha

The one that I plan on purchasing is Straight to Heaven. The rest -- 'meh' for the price.

I'll be buying a bottle of Straight to Heaven after the incredibly positive response I got when I tested it.
    I haven't tested an others, but I think only a Taste of Heaven looks like it would appeal to me.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

i have a sample of Cruel intentions and its everything the name stands for...its awesome! the first wear i was like, hmm wow..it smells very real....starts of pretty thin. but turns out to be a very cloudy mist of chocolate, booze, rose, leather kinda feel....i used to hate gourmand...but this...this my freinds is the real thing...i love it...and i dont think it's overpriced...sometimes life is just cruel...by the time i wore it the second and third time, i was/am totally addicted to it. cant wait to try out the rest of the series...a big thumbs up...

The price for the first bottle includes the cost of the decorative box it comes in and all that jazz. The refills are where it's at.

sampled all, did not buy any bottle-sized frag
    Nice packaging is not enough to shell out, while I found A Taste of Heaven and Cruel Intentions as most close to my ideals of Lavender and Woody Oud scents.

Well, I`d wait till the business will be stopped (as IUNX before) and will buy it on discounts!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    The price for the first bottle includes the cost of the decorative box it comes in and all that jazz. The refills are where it's at.
    Well, by my calculations that says that you're paying $225 - $115 = $110 for a fancy box. Maybe I should change occupations and start making fancy boxes for a living, because that's pretty good scratch. What would happen if you showed up with your own bottle and tried to get a refill? With all due apologies to those who have shelled out for this amazing elixir, this just seems like pure marketing BS to me. I'm sure someone at this company is soiling themselves laughing.

The obvious thing to do here is to amass a group of people who like this juice and are willing to designate one of them to be the Keeper of the Holy Fancy Box. They amortize the cost of the Holy Fancy Box across all participants in some equitable fashion, and all but one keeps the juice in their own container. Alternatively, the Holy Fancy Box rotates ownership between participants, sort of like the Security Council Presidency of the United Nations.

I'm going to try this stuff the next time I go to The Scent Bar. I've got to see what all the fuss is about.

yup tht equation doenst sounds fair...i would'nt mind if someone sold a decant of it. the juice is too good to be ignored. i literally felt pampered. and well, like all LVMH products, they were aimed at a certain class and not stingy buyers like myself

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    yup tht equation doenst sounds fair...i would'nt mind if someone sold a decant of it. the juice is too good to be ignored. i literally felt pampered. and well, like all LVMH products, they were aimed at a certain class and not stingy buyers like myself
    Let me be clear that I do not have a problem with a company siphoning as much cash as possible out of people for their juice. To do so would be disingenuous of me, since I charge as much as possible for my labor too. I just think that consumers ought to push the limits to make companies work for their business and force prices lower. And doing an "end run" around the first-buy-our-fancy-box-then-we'll-play-nice policy by a sort of collective purchase is well within the purview of fair play. I consider it to be merely a variant of selling decants, of which I'm strongly in support.

Anyway, which one of these fragrances would be the best one to try first? Being an oud fan, I'm guessing Cruel Intentions is the way to go. I'm amazed that a company charging this much for their juice is actually providing the perfumer's formula on their website. That says that the quality of the ingredients is a big part of the cost, which is probably not as much the case with other fragrance houses.

I purchased Straight to Heaven and Cruel Intentions.

Both are very different fragrances and I thoroughly enjoy both

*Which Sillage and/or longevity is better? STH or Cruel Intentions? Thanks.

a good alternative is to buy the travel edition is $135 for the first time and after that is only $70 for the refill, and also after buying the first bottle you can buy whatever you want, i bought first back to black, and after that I bought refills of straight to heaven and also a refill of a taste of heaven, so I think is a good alternative and is not that expensive.

Since I find Back to Black to be both FB worthy and a HG scent, I'm VERY tempted to buy the bottle because I can see myself going through it and wanting to get a refill.

Hey, at least it isn't as expensive as Rose Oud...

Wow mattie - let's cool it with the 2 year old bumps.
    However, on the topic of this old thread - it's funny that I a post before I bought Straight to Heaven up there. In the time since, my sucker self has accrued 4 Kilians and Back to Black is high on my list. If Pure Oud didn't cost 3 arms, it would be too.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I bought a bottle of Cruel Intentions. I also like A Taste of Heaven quite a lot... the rest I'm on the fence about so far.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by b3t0_1972 View Post
    a good alternative is to buy the travel edition is $135 for the first time and after that is only $70 for the refill, and also after buying the first bottle you can buy whatever you want, i bought first back to black, and after that I bought refills of straight to heaven and also a refill of a taste of heaven, so I think is a good alternative and is not that expensive.
    I personally prefer to just buy the $70 refills and use my own atomizer. So I have refills of Back to Black and Straight to Heaven.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I bought a large decant of Back To Black, may at some point buy a decant of Pure Oud. I have no intention of buying a bottle at those prices, and frankly, as my collection grows, I use less from each bottle, so decants increasingly will do me for my more expensive desires.

Another option for those disturbed by By Kilian's pricing is the new Discovery Set.
    For $140 you get 7.5mL of all eight fragrances in the L'oeuvre Noire collection.
    What that means is you get a nioce decant of everything but Pure Oud and Rose Oud.
    It is an ideal way to sample the entire line and for much less money than even a bottle would cost.

I am a big, big BK fan. I have Straight to Heaven in the beautiful bottle, Beyond Love in the even more beautiful travel spray atomizer and Taste of Heaven, Cruel Intentions, Love and Back to Black in the 1oz refills. Didn't like Pure Oud that much to purchase the $400 bottle. I also see that it's available in a $350 3.4oz refill and for Rose Oud as well. Pure Oud smelled exactly like Original Aoud by Montale so I won't even purchase the refill, but Rose Oud might change that!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Whoever does -- please take a photo.. haha

The one that I plan on purchasing is Straight to Heaven. The rest -- 'meh' for the price.

You asked so I have ! *LOL*

I love By Kilian but FBW is Beyond Love , Taste of Heaven ,Back to Black and Love - for me anyways. However, I can only afford one FB of By Kilian's at one time - they do cost a lot.

(PS. You know ,looking at my own very badly taken picture of my By Kilian Beyond Love set- the black laquer box is looking decidedly, morbidly like a funeral casket/ coffin - it's the black ruched silk effect. Arrgghh ! )
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 9th February 2010 at 12:17 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Massiveattack1987

Dummy question to people, who met Kilian Hennessy personally.
    What is his height?

I'd happily own full bottles of Love & Tears and Beyond Love, and Rose Oud too, though due to price and the fact that there are roses I love more, I can't see the latter being mine in the foreseeable future.

I really enjoy the Kilian line. They're not daring, but they're classy and well-made.

A taste of heaven - Gorgeous bottle
    Prelude to love - Gorgeous bottle
    Love and Tears - Travel Set

Basenotes Plus

I own Back to Black and Pure Oud. If it were not for my OCD I would probably just buy refills.

bought StH and Sweet Redemption Travel set + refill 2 months ago.

lame internet, double post, sorry.

I own:

Travel - Back To Black
    Travel - Straight to Heaven
    Travel - Liaisons Dangereuses
    Refill - Cruel Intentions
    Refill - Prelude To Love
    A very generous sample made by a Saks rep - Love

and multiple Samples of Everything except the latest, Amber Oud.

Next on my wishlist is Sweet Redemption.

Full-Bottles are beautiful but aren't worth my money at this time. The Arabian Nights collection is a bit pricey to me as well, even for the Refill/Travel.

Let me know if you'd like a sample!

~Mªrk~

I have gone through quite a few samples and never really found one that wearable to me. They just have some kind of funkiness to them that doesn't agree with me I guess which is odd I love just about everything.

Way too expensive to not love the juice.
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

I am also a BK fan, I have:

Back to Black - tester (with cap, no box)
    Cruel Intentions - tester + 100 mL refill... yes I have WAY TOO MUCH of this stuff but have decanted a lot too.
    Rose Oud - tester
    A Taste of Heaven - 100 mL refill
    Straight to Heaven, Prelude to Love, Beyond Love, Liasons Dangereuses - decants or multiple sample sprays

I found the 100 mL refills lately, they are discontinued and I got them for well under $100. At that price I think they are a great bargain! I have also found sample sprays for good prices, around $1/mL or so. The testers I got for the same price as refill bottles.

The only way I'd get the full bottles would be for a gift... but it's nice to have the option.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    The obvious thing to do here is to amass a group of people who like this juice and are willing to designate one of them to be the Keeper of the Holy Fancy Box. They amortize the cost of the Holy Fancy Box across all participants in some equitable fashion, and all but one keeps the juice in their own container. Alternatively, the Holy Fancy Box rotates ownership between participants, sort of like the Security Council Presidency of the United Nations.
    Lol, excellent idea! (and already thought out four years ago).

I have a question for you BK owners: do the fancy bottles accept refills of different juices? I mean, do you have to wash them out if you want to put in a different BK scent? That wouldn't work for me, especially considering their strength...
    I find the travel sprays VERY nice and might jump for that if I find one BK that suits me. I have only tried Back To Black and found it too sweet.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Lol, excellent idea! (and already thought out four years ago).

I have a question for you BK owners: do the fancy bottles accept refills of different juices? I mean, do you have to wash them out if you want to put in a different BK scent? That wouldn't work for me, especially considering their strength...
    I find the travel sprays VERY nice and might jump for that if I find one BK that suits me. I have only tried Back To Black and found it too sweet.
    You could, the refills come with another atomizer pump. But IDK why you'd want to, just get an empty atomizer for under $5 and use that instead of trying to clean out a used bottle. Also, you don't need to own a full bottle to buy the refills. I think that was the original idea, but for those without a ton of cash it's a good way to save.

While I do like a few of their fragrances, I think they are overpriced. But I am interested in Back to Black, Incense Oud and Rose Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorje123 View Post
    You could, the refills come with another atomizer pump. But IDK why you'd want to, just get an empty atomizer for under $5 and use that instead of trying to clean out a used bottle. Also, you don't need to own a full bottle to buy the refills. I think that was the original idea, but for those without a ton of cash it's a good way to save.
    Hmmm! Doing some maths, I think it might make a lot of sense to buy the travel spray and then the travel refills, as they cost the same per ml as the 50 ml refills. That way I could have a shiny pretty thing ("my precious!"), cheaper than the bottle -which I don't find that pretty anyway- that I could refill cheaply. Or not, as 30 ml is enough for me.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

A taste of heaven - Gorgeous bottle
    Prelude to love - Gorgeous bottle
    Love and Tears - Travel Set

Have sampled most in the line and have bought bottles to give as gifts for others but haven't added any to my collection yet.

I love Kilian fragrances but unless i am not extremely drunk or filthy rich one day, I would never buy full bottles. Juice is important for me.

I happily own refills of Straight to Heaven, Cruel Intentions, Prelude to Love and Back to Black.
    Last edited by leto; 17th March 2012 at 11:43 PM.

I have A Taste of Heaven in the full bottle and Back to Black in the travel atomizer.

As regards accusations of overpricing, some Amouage scents, among others, cost about the same or more.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Kilians are worth their price IMO .. Pics to follow

Quote Originally Posted by Furriner View Post

As regards accusations of overpricing, some Amouage scents, among others, cost about the same or more.
    I agree. And a lot of it is because of the price difference between the refills and full bottles. They get all upset that the full bottles cost that much more, when IMO it's nice to have a choice. Nobody says they aren't worth it because their quality isn't good enough, it's always the packaging. Some people are hard to please and/or not so bright. By Kilian is not overpriced relative to the rest of the industry.

By Kilian is overpriced (others have said this) and the gimmick of a black box with a key is silly. You pay and extra $100 plus dollars for a box, key and refillable bottle. I would prefer just sell me a bottle for $115 and be done with it. I do not need a shiny black box that locks or a cap that come off.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    By Kilian is overpriced (others have said this) and the gimmick of a black box with a key is silly. You pay and extra $100 plus dollars for a box, key and refillable bottle. I would prefer just sell me a bottle for $115 and be done with it. I do not need a shiny black box that locks or a cap that come off.
    lol, I rest my case! If you think it's overpriced, then DON'T BUY IT!

I, for one, am very thankful Kilian releases its scents in travel sizes and refills. Sure, the full bottle + box is expensive, right up there in $/ml with Amouage and other uber-luxe brands. But at least Kilian offers us cheaper alternatives if all we want is the liquid inside.

Most designer/niche brands do not offer refills like this. In fact, I can't think of any other that does this for their entire line.

Also, is anyone else envious of Dorje's good fortune with Kilian deals? 100ml for less than $100 - that is pretty slick.

I have a full bottle of Cruel Intentions, I bought the atomizer with the four 15ml bottles of Straight to Heaven and got the refills of Sweet Redemption. I was lucky that a perfume friend asked me to split a bottle of Incense Oud. I have decants and samples of the whole line. I am a big fan of by Kilian perfumes.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    also, is anyone else envious of dorje's good fortune with kilian deals? 100ml for less than $100 - that is pretty slick.
    Me!!!
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey

I have Taste of Heaven in the box set and also one of the black Travel set things. I may pick up Back to Black at some point but will opt for the refill.