Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Talking Jack and Joe's Excellent Fragrance Adventure!

Well I finally got to meet my fellow Basenoter and “neighbor” Jack (silverbullet) – I live in Clearwater Beach and Jack lives in St. Pete Beach. We decided to meet up at the International Plaza in Tampa for a day of fragrance sniffing and sampling. Our main destination stores were Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Sephora and Dillards. We spent 6 hours sampling and rating ~ 100 fragrances (using the Turin/Sanchez 1-5 star rating system). We also chatted and got to know each other a little better over several Starbucks breaks.

Here are some highlights from our adventure:

Prada Infusion d’Homme – Neiman Marcus had a tester of Infusion d’Homme (still not on sale yet). I definitely got the blast of Neroli that had been talked about, and then as it dried down more of the Iris note came out. However, the further it dried down it started smelling more and more to me like Prada Amber pour Homme. I need to give this one some more wearings (I did get a sample). But initially both Jack and I give it 4 stars.

Creed Love in Black – Again Neiman Marcus had a tester, although it is not on sale yet. The harsh violet top notes were not very pleasant to me – neither were the Iris middle notes. When it finally got into the drydown, it became a little more tolerable. I will give it another wearing (from a sample), but initially I am not impressed. Both Jack and I give it 2 stars.

Versace pour Homme – This time Nordstrom had a tester, although the fragrance is not on sale yet. It was an OK fragrance, not extremely unique or special - but I do think it is a notch above a lot of the other generic, mainstream releases out there. It’s a nice enough aquatic, with a little extra “oomph” to it. I know some others complained about longevity on this one, but I actually got very good longevity from it. I will wear it again to see if it grows on me. Jack and I both give it 3 stars.

Marc Jacobs Fig Splash and Gardenia Splash – Nordstrom had these for sale. I haven’t been a big fan of the previous Marc Jacobs splashes, other then Ivy. I don’t think I will be changing my mind after sampling these. I like fig based fragrances, but I think the Marc Jacobs splash needs to be more “figgy” – it just seemed very weak. The Gardenia splash was a little better, because I think a stronger gardenia scent would be a little too over-powering. Our rating for Gardenia is 3 stars and for Fig 2 stars.

Canali Black Diamond – Nordstrom had this - I had not seen it there previously. Again, I think this was a nice enough scent but not anything extremely special – although IMO, it is much better then the original Canali for Men. Jack liked this a little more then me and gave it 4 stars. I give it 3 stars.

Bois 1920 – Dillards is now carrying the Bois 1920 line of fragrances, so we sampled all 8 that they had. The stand out one to both of us was the Sandalo e The – Jack gave it 5 stars and I gave it 4 stars. We both did not think much of Sutra Ylang, both of us giving it 2 stars.

Lancome Hypnose Homme Eau Fraiche – I like Hypnose Homme, but did not care for the Eau Fraiche version. It just seems like a watered down version of the original – which I do not see a reason for. I give it 2 stars and Jack gives it 3 stars.

Davidoff Adventure – We both pretty much said “Meh” at the same time. A pretty bland, un-original fragrance. We both give it 1.5 stars.

Some other ratings/reviews for Jack:

Kiton Black – 5 stars – one of Jack’s favorites and on his next to purchase list
    Bulgari Aqua Marine – 5 stars – on the to purchase list
    Creed Himilaya – 5 stars
    Creed Milliseme Imperial – 5 stars
    Calvin Klein Euphoria Intense for Men – 4.5 stars
    Lancome Hypnose Homme – 4.5 stars
    Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess – 4 stars – perfect for the Florida beaches
    Sisley Eau de Campagne – 4 stars - Fresh!
    Aramis Devin – 1 star – Jack thought this was the worst one we sampled

Some other ratings/reviews for Joe:

Creed Angelique Encens – 4 stars – I had not tried this one previously, but I really like it. I got a sample to give it some further wearings.
    Hugh Parsons (Blue) – 4 stars – I like it – it’s a fresh scent but with a little more extra to it. Definitely need to try it again.
    Ralph Lauren Purple Label – 2 stars - I have tried this several times, and I always think that maybe the next time I try it I will like it. I didn’t.

We even helped sell some product at Sephora. A woman, who for some reason felt compelled to tell us she was a sex education teacher , was not happy with the service she was being provided by the sales staff. So she said to Jack and me “You two guys look knowledgeable. Can you recommend a strong, loud fragrance?” I happened to be standing in front of the Givenchy Amarige so I said “Look no further then this one”. She applied a very liberal dose of it and said “That will do”. She even spritzed on some Fracas on top of it. Maybe she is teaching an abstinence class on "How to apply fragrance to ensure no one will want to have sex with you".

As you can all imagine, Jack really is the sweet, kind, funny and generous person we all know him to be. We had a great day together, and hopefully will get together again soon for another adventure.

Below is a picture from our adventure. Jack is on the right, Arlene, our favorite Nordstrom's SA, is in the middle, and I am on the left.

Last edited by petruccijc; 20th July 2008 at 04:40 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Jack and Joe's Excellent Fragrance Adventure!

What a great day out !! fantastic .
    Its good to hear about adventures like these .
    It will be interesting to see which ones you guys actually buy .
    cheers !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Fabulous story and a great adventure indeed

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Joe is truly a delightful, knowledgeable, and super fun person all around. He was under the impression that I am kind and "sweet" , well that's not true at all. I've a reputation to uphold, it's bad for business.

His synopsis here is spot on. We agreed on the ratings for the most part, except for the Devin. You can bet the farm we'll be at it again soon. A good time was had by all. I was a little smitten with Arlene as well.

I've moved these 4 stars up to 5.

Canali Black Diamond
    Prada Infusion d’Homme
    M:Men
    Azzaro Chrome
    Lanvin Eclat D ' Arpege
    Fresh Cannabis Santal
    Chanel Allure Edition Blanche
    Hugh Parsons
    Euphoria Intense
    Dirty English Juicy Couture

Last edited by silverbullet; 20th July 2008 at 04:00 PM.

Great post guys! I would like to see more like this one. I completely agree with your assessment of Devin. Some years ago I tried it on my skin when it was a new product and it made me feel sick. A fragrance to avoid, in my opinion.

Good day indeed! Kiton Black has been on my wishlist for some time now. Awaiting the good deal.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Did you test on strips? I have to admit my mind can't deal with that many frags in such a short period of time, unless I just judged the top notes.

Great post and obviously great fun. Wish I could have joined you guys.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Blog Entries

Great story!!! I'm glad you guys had an awesome time!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Did you test on strips? I have to admit my mind can't deal with that many frags in such a short period of time, unless I just judged the top notes.
    Yes, it was the strip test. Not our prefered method due to the difference of top notes and chemical drydown experienced on natural body chemistry. We joked about being octopuses (sp?), we ran out of real estate on our limited appendages Thank goodness for coffee beans.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet View Post
    Yes, it was the strip test. Not our prefered method due to the difference of top notes and chemical drydown experienced on natural body chemistry. We joked about being octopuses (sp?), we ran out of real estate on our limited appendages Thank goodness for coffee beans.
    I was already familiar with most of the fragrances we sampled, so I had already formed opinions on them.

I saved my appendages for some of the new fragrances that we encountered and that I wanted to try. So those opinions were formed on applying to the skin and then analyzing from top notes to drydown.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hey you guys, I am in Brandon, you should have let me know too. JRD4T and Knightowl are in Orlando, they could have come over too.

Anyway glad you enjoyed it and got to know each other .....
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky View Post
    Hey you guys, I am in Brandon, you should have let me know too. JRD4T and Knightowl are in Orlando, they could have come over too.

Dang, next time will let you guys know

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky View Post

I am all for a Central Florida Basenotes get together! Let's just decide on a day/time/place!

Thaifighter is also in the area, as well as nthny (when he is in the US).

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I am all for a Central Florida Basenotes get together! Let's just decide on a day/time/place!

Thaifighter is also in the area, as well as nthny (when he is in the US).
    Yep, that's sounds like a winner.

I am so glad two of my buds got together - sounds like it was a great day.

Two Roads The Younger lives in the area. Perhaps she could stand in for me when you do this again!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Great story. ...and thanks for sharing the pictures! I participate in quite a lot of forums and it is great to match faces to the names/nicknames.

Joe and Jack, thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

This is really a fun site!!!

Sounds like you gents had a phenomenal time on your excursion! I will have to retry a couple that you've recommended, and I definitely give two thumbs up to Sisley Eau Campagne!

Would be great if more BNers in the same areas catch up and do a similar report!
    Thanks again gents!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I am so glad two of my buds got together - sounds like it was a great day.

Two Roads The Younger lives in the area. Perhaps she could stand in for me when you do this again!
    Ah man... I didn't even think of it TR! Why we didn't get my sister to snap a photo of us there in Cleveland. I could imagine starting a standing thread of photos of when BNers meet. OK... let's not forget next time!

Great photos of Jack and Joe though! I'm glad you had a great time! It really is a nice thing to meet another friend from here and spend the day sniffing and discussing! Truly enjoyable!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Morning Star

Well I finally got to meet my fellow Basenoter and “neighbor” Jack (silverbullet) – I live in Clearwater Beach and Jack lives in St. Pete Beach. We decided to meet up at the International Plaza in Tampa for a day of fragrance sniffing and sampling. Our main destination stores were Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Sephora and Dillards. We spent 6 hours sampling and rating ~ 100 fragrances ...
    Man, you guys are hard core. I just spent 1.5 hours at The Scent Bar, got through about 30 fragrances, ran out of forearm real estate, and just generally feel spent. Those Starbucks breaks must have helped you a lot.

Marc Jacobs Fig Splash ... needs to be more “figgy” – it just seemed very weak.
    I have heard these splashes are only about 2% essential oil, about 1/3 the strength of a typical EdT. They blow off my dry skin in a matter of mere minutes. I think to use these as a fragrance would require literally almost bathing in them. For the cost, I'm seriously thinking of just making them myself.

Davidoff Adventure – We both pretty much said “Meh” at the same time. A pretty bland, un-original fragrance. We both give it 1.5 stars.
    Complete agreement here. I tried this at Macy's a few days ago. Not impressed at all.

Cool Re: Jack and Joe's Excellent Fragrance Adventure!

It's stimulating when two intellectual connoisseurs . . .
    --Naw, it's realy cool when two frag addicts get together!
    Awright!!

Joseph, as self appointed leader of the underemployed Cuban/Thespian scent conspiracy, I give you leave never to try Purple Label again!

I'd tell you some of the frags that I tried to force myself to like, but it's too embarassing . . .

Jack, thanks again for JM's Pnoir--review coming up!
    I'm happy that my beloved Himalaya rated a 5.

I laughed my ass off when I read your reaction to Devin.

Remembering my salad days when I was in love with my first She Who Must Be Obeyed and wore Aramis. . .
    Then Aramis Devin came along and I had to try it.
    How well I remember my words of wisdom at the time.

Huh?
    Why?
    WTF??

Glad you guys had a good time.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

that makes me so jealous... i wish there were more people in the orlando, fl area that were willing to go on a little scent cruise
    At your service

sorry, which fragrance is M man?
    Great post! great fun for you guys
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    sorry, which fragrance is M man?
    Great post! great fun for you guys

M:Men

Yes, we had a great time
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

Great thread. It's fab stories like these that make me proud to be a Basenoter.

A woman, who for some reason felt compelled to tell us she was a sex education teacher

As you can all imagine, Jack really is the sweet, kind, funny and generous person we all know him to be. We had a great day together, and hopefully will get together again soon for another adventure.
    Hmm.....I think she was relaying critical information about.....something

Silverbullet is absolutley 100% class . And thank you Joe for sharing with us

I'm freaking jealous.

I'm always going into these fragrance stores alone with nothing but my wits about me (lord knows that's not saying much). I'd love to go with someone else that shares this hobby.

Too cute! All of you! I'm so jealous! I've wanted to smell Black Diamond for a while now.
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

Joe hasn't been posting on BN lately. Anyone know what's up with him these days?